New Topic Respond to this Topic
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-13 20:32:55 Reply

A guy was texting during a screening, which resulted in him getting killed and his wife getting shot by a retired cop. Can you believe this? I'm against using a cellphone during a screening, but Jesus, this is horrible, and what's also horrible is that there are people who seem to think this is OK.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-13 20:40:16 Reply

At 1/13/14 08:32 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: A guy was texting during a screening, which resulted in him getting killed and his wife getting shot by a retired cop. Can you believe this? I'm against using a cellphone during a screening, but Jesus, this is horrible, and what's also horrible is that there are people who seem to think this is OK.

He died texting his 3 year old. That really sucks but I must question one thing. How was he texting his 3 year old?

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-13 22:38:09 Reply

At 1/13/14 08:40 PM, Atlas wrote:
At 1/13/14 08:32 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: A guy was texting during a screening, which resulted in him getting killed and his wife getting shot by a retired cop. Can you believe this? I'm against using a cellphone during a screening, but Jesus, this is horrible, and what's also horrible is that there are people who seem to think this is OK.

Clarification: this apparently happened before the film even started and it's not exactly clear as to why the retired cop fired. Still, this apparently started because of texting.

He died texting his 3 year old. That really sucks but I must question one thing. How was he texting his 3 year old?

You mean can his 3-year-old read? I dunno.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-13 23:42:09 Reply

At 1/13/14 07:25 PM, Auz wrote: Went out to see The Wolf of Wall Street.

Pretty good film overall. It's well acted and has lots of funny, entertaining moments. However, it is way, way, waaaaay longer than it needs to be. It runs for 3 full hours, but I felt like the entire film is pretty much summarised in the trailer already. I don't know why Scorsese had to show about four or five of Belfort's speeches to his employees, because they were basically the exact same scene over and over again. Also, there's not much development in the plot or in the characters at all.

Anyway, it is pretty good like I said, but I can't say I agree with the 8.7 score on IMDB. I've seen better films in 2013.

I saw the movie last night. I loved it and thought that it was a great movie. The speeches generally were given at different intervals, whether it be him starting up the company or deciding to not step down, so there was a lot of variety there that I don't think you're mentioning.

Also, as for development, I'd say watching one man's rise and fall to power showed a lot of development, but I agree with you that I would have liked to see more of an arch instead of him just becoming a money hungry ass over one lunch with his employer.

Also, what movies do you think were ahead of it in 2013? I'm curious.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 05:46:14 Reply

ANNOUNCEMENT TYPE THING I GUESS:

So I've been thinking about trying to start a little experiment in this thread, one that I think would really help get some more interesting discussions going (beyond what we watched last night and "this movie was good/bad/okay/better than this/worse than that" value judgments) and mix things up a bit, but more importantly one that would broaden all our tastes and introduce us to great movies we might never have watched otherwise and other good shit like that.

I'm talking about starting a club-wide Movie of the Week.

Here's how I see it working: each week one of us, chosen at random from anyone who participated in the previous week's discussion (and who hasn't gone yet, until we have some sort of a rough rotation going), picks a movie and announces it in this thread on (let's say) Sunday night/Monday morning. Everyone who wants to participate watches that movie at some point during the week, and on (let's say) Saturday or Sunday we try to devote all our conversation in the thread to that movie. Maybe the person who picked the movie can kick things off with a question to get the ball rolling or something like that.

Does this seem like something you guys would be interested in? If so, feel free to get involved when I try out a tentative first MotW next week (and also feel free to make any other suggestions about how we should run this thing). Since this is the first week and there's no rotation yet (and because I'm incapable of making decisions), rather than just pick a movie and reveal it next week I'll list seven options here now so you guys can tell me what you think about them before I decide. So here they are, picked somewhat at random from a list of both personal favorites and stuff I haven't watched yet but really want to:

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (Murnau, 1927, USA)
The 400 Blows (Truffaut, 1959, France)
Badlands (Malick, 1973, USA)
Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979, USSR)
Wings of Desire (Wenders, 1987, West Germany/France)
Chungking Express (Wong, 1994, Hong Kong)
Boogie Nights (Anderson, 1997, USA)

And just for posterity, here's a couple guidelines I think we should all probably try to follow in picking our movies so as to get the most out of this thing:

1. Try to pick something that's conducive to discussion.

Duh.

But I think it's important to stress that "conducive to discussion" doesn't have to mean some serious, portentous arthouse film. There's all kinds of great stuff we can talk about with genre movies, from action to comedy to horror to whatever. Hell, feel free to pick a movie you think is outright bad if you want, as long as it's bad in interesting, discussion-worthy ways.

Basically anything that isn't obviously a mercenary cash-grab or pure exploitative trash should be fair game.

2. Try to pick something that all or most of us haven't seen yet.

Of course we have no way of knowing for sure who's seen what (though a bunch of us have Letterboxd accounts, which could help), so just to be safe we're probably better off not picking huge blockbusters like Star Wars and Jaws and The Dark Knight, obvious "classic" list-toppers and American canon mainstays like Citizen Kane and Casablanca and 2001: A Space Odyssey, or perennial cult dorm room wall decorators like Fight Club or Pulp Fiction or The Boondock Saints.

Besides, the whole point of this thing is kind of to...

3. Try to branch out.

Let's try to get out of our comfort zones and see something truly new. Pick something from before the '60s. Pick something that isn't in English (bonus points if it's not from Western Europe or Japan either). Pick something from a genre where we're not all already fans and experts. Pick something made outside the studio system, or something ignored by audiences, or something unfairly panned by critics.

At the very least, your MotW should probably be from a different decade and genre (and maybe country if we can help it) than the last one (unless you're specifically trying to juxtapose or complement the previous week's movie in some way, which would be awesome).

Let's use this as an opportunity to broaden our horizons and shit. For my part I know I'm anticipating/dreading the first horror movie that gets picked, since that's a genre I know almost nothing about.

And that's about it. Hopefully we can all turn Movie of the Week into a staple of the Cinema Club and watch a fuck-ton of great movies while we're at it.

At 1/12/14 10:16 PM, Natick wrote: it's not their best film by any means

I dunno, it's rocketed pretty quickly towards the top of my list and I imagine it'll only improve with age.

anyway, just watched blazing saddles for the first time and thought it was mediocre. don't recommend spaceballs or young frankenstein to me, i already saw them years ago and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about

Oh yeah, also I guess here's my best-of list for 2013, seeing as the year is actually over now and I've gotten to see a good number of the things I wanted to (though there's still so much I haven't seen; this has been a fantastic year for movies).

1. The Act of Killing
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
3. Her
4. Frances Ha
5. The World's End
6. Spring Breakers
7. Computer Chess
8. The Wolf of Wall Street
9. 12 Years a Slave
10. Gravity
11. The Wind Rises
12. Upstream Color

And while we're at it, what was the worst new movie you guys saw in 2013? For me it was probably Elysium, a profoundly stupid trainwreck of a movie and a hugely disappointing follow-up to the tight, clever District 9. Though Star Into Darkness was also pretty dire aside from its neat opening setpiece, telling not so much an actual story as a loosely connected series of meaningless plot twists and winking callbacks to other, better Star Trek movies.

Also I guess I'll just @ mention a bunch of Cinema Club regulars/semi-regulars/Letterboxd people/whoever to make sure they see the MotW stuff (@ mentions are a thing now, right? I definitely got a notification for one a while ago, or maybe I'm just getting old and out of touch...):

@TheMaster
@Sense-Offender
@Natick
@Slint
@Sekhem
@Auz
@Jolly
@Atlas
@NuScarab
@EclecticEnnui
@Makeshift
@HeavenDuff
@ZJ
@Darthdenim
@Oolaph
@Jackho
@darkjam
@Nebula
@Jester
@SapphireLight
@SG3

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 06:50:11 Reply

@Dr-Worm What a splendid idea! This really should breathe some new conversation into this thread and really help expand our cinematic horizons.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 08:14:39 Reply

I'd be down if my internet weren't awful, which makes streaming or downloading anything better than a shitty DVDrip a pain. I'll chip in if anything I happen to own physically pops up, though.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 09:44:22 Reply

At 1/14/14 05:46 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: The 400 Blows (Truffaut, 1959, France)

i'll do any one of these three

Let's use this as an opportunity to broaden our horizons and shit. For my part I know I'm anticipating/dreading the first horror movie that gets picked, since that's a genre I know almost nothing about.

there are very few slasher films i'm willing to sit through for reasons stated before

I dunno, it's rocketed pretty quickly towards the top of my list and I imagine it'll only improve with age.

i'm not saying it's bad in the slightest, i'd would even put it up in a list of their top films if i could but it would be relatively low compared to miller's crossing, blood simple, the big lebowski, no country for old men, fargo, a serious man and argubly even raising arizona. inside llewlyn davisjust tells a much more simpler story than most of their films and accomplishes it

Oh yeah, also I guess here's my best-of list for 2013, seeing as the year is actually over now and I've gotten to see a good number of the things I wanted to (though there's still so much I haven't seen; this has been a fantastic year for movies).

1. The Act of Killing

my film of the year, too

3. Her
4. Frances Ha
5. The World's End
6. Spring Breakers
7. Computer Chess
8. The Wolf of Wall Street
11. The Wind Rises
12. Upstream Color

i still need to see all of these along with the hunt, dallas buyers club, the counselor and captain phillips

And while we're at it, what was the worst new movie you guys saw in 2013?

elysium was a pretty big dissapointment, i agree.

i almost got dragged out to see movie 43 which i narrowly avoided by catching a cold. the biggest dissapointment for me this year was for a long time and still is only god forgives which i had been anticipating from when i first heard about it. i've already stated my reasons for disliking it on letterboxd before so i won't go into detail again. sekhem has recommended watching it again with the director's commentary which i might try out in due time

btw @TheMaster, i'm actually kind of intrigued by the lebanese rocket society ever since i read your review of it. one of those rare films that sounds so terrible i want to see for myself if it's serious or not

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 10:03:57 Reply

At 1/14/14 05:46 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: I'm talking about starting a club-wide Movie of the Week.

Fuck me, how haven't we thought of this yet.

Does this seem like something you guys would be interested in?

Mos def.

I'll list seven options here now so you guys can tell me what you think about them before I decide. So here they are, picked somewhat at random from a list of both personal favorites and stuff I haven't watched yet but really want to:

Haven't watched.

The 400 Blows (Truffaut, 1959, France)

Haven't watched.

Fantastic. Not Malick's best, by nonetheless really really good.

Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979, USSR)

It's in my list but haven't watched it yet.

Wings of Desire (Wenders, 1987, West Germany/France)

Haven't watched.

Chungking Express (Wong, 1994, Hong Kong)

Really overrated imo. It's a good movie, but I don't feel like it deserves all that praise.

Goddamnit, you had to pick one of the 3 PTA movies I haven't seen yet.

1. Try to pick something that's conducive to discussion.
2. Try to pick something that all or most of us haven't seen yet.
3. Try to branch out.

I got some good suggestions, no problemo.

Cinema Club

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 11:26:20 Reply

Here's my unwatched pile, in case any of them happen to be things anyone else was planning on watching soon too:

Une Femme Mariee
La Planete Sauvage
The World
Make Way For Tomorrow
Stolen Desire
The Insect Woman
Nishi-Ginza Station
Ruggles of Red Gap
Dr Mabuse Der Spieler
Das Testament Des Dr Mabuse
La Poison
The Birth of a Nation
La Cita Delle Donne
Oyu-Sama
Ugetsu Monogatari
Gion Bayashi
Sansho Dayu
Uwasa No Onna
Chikamatsuy Monogatari
Yokihi
Akasen Chitai
Once Upon a Time in America
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
Melancholia
Three Colours trilogy
An Education
The Black Shield of Falworth
There Will be Blood
Le Quattro Volte
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall his Past Lives
Knightriders
Ashes and Diamonds
Les Diaboliques
Rififi
Spirits of the Dead
The Tin Drum
Cinema Paradiso
Django, Prepare a Coffin
Dressed to Kill
The People Under the Stairs
Lady Snowblood 2
Tenebrae
Time Bandits
Blow Out
Foxy Brown
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Glory
From Here to Eternity
The Remains of the Day
The Devils

I think that's the lot.

At 1/14/14 09:44 AM, Natick wrote: btw @TheMaster, i'm actually kind of intrigued by the lebanese rocket society ever since i read your review of it. one of those rare films that sounds so terrible i want to see for myself if it's serious or not

There's certainly no "so bad it's good" element to it. It's just a massive missed opportunity on the part of the egotistical fuckwits who made it. Definitely my least favourite of 2013.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 12:46:08 Reply

At 1/14/14 05:46 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: I'm talking about starting a club-wide Movie of the Week.

Yeah I could get into this, does it start this week or next week? Hopefully I just don't forget.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 14:29:14 Reply

Count me in. I'm far from a regular here and I honestly don't watch very many movies at all, but I've really been meaning to 'broaden my cinematic horizons' and so this seems like the perfect way to actually get myself to do that.

Only one out of that batch I've actually seen. Really like this film, not my favourite of Murnau's but it's definitely a great one.

That's a hard question since I wasn't impressed with anything I saw this year, but that's probably because I didn't go searching for anything that actually looked interesting to me at all. I would say every superhero movie this year was equally uninteresting and unimpressive, so I guess those collectively get my "worst of 2013" choice.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 18:22:24 Reply

Eh, fuck it, it's the first week so here's a few more options just to get some wider genre variety in the choices. Lemme know what you think:

Johnny Guitar (Ray, 1954, USA)- Western!
Eyes Without a Face (Franju, 1960, France)- Horror!
It's Such a Beautiful Day (Hertzfeldt, 2012, USA)- Animation!

At 1/14/14 08:14 AM, TheMaster wrote: I'd be down if my internet weren't awful, which makes streaming or downloading anything better than a shitty DVDrip a pain. I'll chip in if anything I happen to own physically pops up, though.

Damn, that sucks, I hadn't even considered that. If you had advance knowledge of the week's pick would you be able to get it in time, or is it bad enough that even that wouldn't suffice?

Here's my unwatched pile, in case any of them happen to be things anyone else was planning on watching soon too:

Whoa, if that's just the unwatched ones you must have quite a collection...how do you afford all these?

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall his Past Lives

I thought about picking this one, but I didn't want to start off with something that unconventional and potentially alienating. I hope some weeks in someone will want to tackle it though.

La Planete Sauvage
Make Way For Tomorrow
Ugetsu Monogatari
Sansho Dayu
Three Colours trilogy
There Will be Blood
Time Bandits
Blow Out
Foxy Brown

These would all be awesome future choices I'd be very down for (I mean, I'm partial to Super Fly but Foxy Brown could be fun too).

At 1/14/14 10:03 AM, Slint wrote: Really overrated imo. It's a good movie, but I don't feel like it deserves all that praise.

Interesting...

Goddamnit, you had to pick one of the 3 PTA movies I haven't seen yet.

Well the whole point is to watch things we haven't seen yet, so that's a good thing I guess?

But yeah, I've only seen Hard Eight, There Will Be Blood, and The Master, so I'm definitely interested in checking out the rest of PTA's filmography.

I got some good suggestions, no problemo.

Ha, that was actually the first movie I thought of picking! But I figured that A: a bunch of you guys have already seen it, and B: somebody else would probably pick it eventually. This would be a fantastic MotW, though.

At 1/14/14 12:46 PM, darkjam wrote: Yeah I could get into this, does it start this week or next week? Hopefully I just don't forget.

We're going to start next week. I'll post the MotW this coming Sunday night, and we'll talk about that movie the following weekend (assuming that works for everyone; if you guys have any better ideas about how the scheduling should work please speak up now!).

By the way, I would highly recommend that you guys get Letterboxd accounts if you don't have them already. It would make seeing what other people have already watched much easier and lead to better, more unique MotW choices, plus I'm eventually going to put together a list on that site of all our Movies of the Week so you can keep track of your involvement and catch up on things you missed if you want. Maybe I'll even throw together a big collective wishlist from the group that can help the week's picker decide if they're having trouble picking a movie, or something like that.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 18:27:56 Reply

At 1/13/14 01:36 PM, TheMaster wrote: I'm trying to watch at least one film every day this year, and at least one per week in cinemas, and I'm already playing catch up.

I was going to do this. You can see from my Letterboxd diary that I tried it last year and while I did see a lot in the first three months (sometimes 3 - 5 movies a day), I just couldn't keep up the one a day thing. I stopped watching in March when I got my new PC and it wasn't until September of this year (moved to a city) that I started watching a lot again. Then at the end of October it came to a halt again. I only watched one movie in December! So yeah, I'm not going to try again this year because I'll end up kicking myself for missing days again and I'd rather feel more relaxed. I'm focusing this year on a different part of my life...

Anyway, I have started this year off alright as far as spending time watching films goes. I've watched five, but my goal is at least ten per month so I'm hitting it well enough at this point. January is all about 2013 catch up. So far I've seen The Wolf of Wall Street, Her, Dallas Buyers Club, About Time, and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I'd like to start reviewing more, but I did give them ratings on my Letterboxd page at least. I still have a large list of stuff to catch up on before I make a definitive best of 2013 list. 2 Guns, ACOD, American Hustle, Frances Ha, Frozen, Inside Llewyn Davis, Lone Survivor, Man of Steel, Mud, Out of the Furnace, The Act of Killing, and The Hobbit are all on that "to watch" list. I'm sure at least one will make my top 10 and probably some I've forgotten I need to watch. I'll check out some of your guys' lists and stuff to see what I've missed.

And here's my top 10 before seeing any of those:
1. The Place Beyond the Pines
2. The Kings of Summer
3. The Wolf of Wall Street
4. Gravity
5. Her
6. The World's End
7. Prisoners
8. This is the End
9. Captain Philips
10. Iron Man 3

You know I've missed a lot when that's my list... I really need to rewatch some too because I'm almost certain Iron Man 3 wouldn't be on there.

I'm definitely down for this. I will watch anything, especially pre-2000 stuff because of watched like... none of it.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 19:16:39 Reply

I'd like to participate in the movie of the week idea if I can, but I only get one movie from Netflix at a time and I don't have the streaming service, and I don't think I wanna rent whatever is chosen instead of what's on my queue. So maybe I'll look for a stream online or I'll rent the movie if it was something I had been meaning to see. Stalker is actually one that's been on my queue for quite a while. I've never seen any of Tarkovsky's movies.

At 1/12/14 10:16 PM, Natick wrote: it's not their best film by any means but it accomplishes it's goal of telling a story about the hardships that up and coming artists endure in just getting noticed or getting their careers started, i'm not a folk fan either but would definitely recommend

Eh, I might watch it when it comes out on video. I wish they'd do another crime movie or a comedy in the vein of the Big Lebowski or Raising Arizona or something.

anyway, just watched blazing saddles for the first time and thought it was mediocre. don't recommend spaceballs or young frankenstein to me, i already saw them years ago and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about

I dunno if I'd agree that Blazing Saddles is mediocre, but I do think it may not be as great as most people say. I thought it was pretty funny, though. I love Young Frankenstein, but Spaceballs is meh, IMO. My favorite Mel Brooks movie is History of the World Part One.

At 1/13/14 04:14 PM, Atlas wrote: I'm gonna start my 80's movie marathon on January 29.

some movies I'd recommend adding to that list of yours.

Time Bandits
the Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Brazil
Dreamscape
Enemy Mine
the Lost Boys
Krull
the Evil Dead
the Dark Crystal
John Carpenter's the Thing
Akira
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
Vampire Hunter D

At 1/14/14 11:26 AM, TheMaster wrote: La Planete Sauvage
There Will be Blood
Time Bandits

Dude, watch those movies right now.

Rififi

pretty good heist movie. If you like that, I'd also recommend le Cercle Rouge.

Tenebrae

decent thriller. Proffondo Rosso and Suspiria are pretty good, too. My favorite movie Dario Argento was involved with wasn't actually directed by him. That's Demons, directed by Lamberto Bava.

Blow Out

I can hardly remember that one anymore, but I recall thinking "meh".

Foxy Brown

I watched Pam Grier's nude scene. nicccccee.

I've been meaning to see that.

Glory

I watched that recently. It's pretty good. I think the Last Samurai is a way better Zwick film, though. I love that movie,

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 19:24:48 Reply

At 1/14/14 07:16 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/13/14 04:14 PM, Atlas wrote: I'm gonna start my 80's movie marathon on January 29.
some movies I'd recommend adding to that list of yours.

Time Bandits
the Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Brazil
Dreamscape
Enemy Mine
the Lost Boys
Krull
the Evil Dead
the Dark Crystal
John Carpenter's the Thing
Akira
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
Vampire Hunter D

I shall add Castle In The Sky, The Thing, The Evil Dead (love it), and all the recommended Terry Gilliam films. Also would I get banned if I linked to a movie streaming site?

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 19:34:30 Reply

Today I watched Crawlspace, from 1986.

Written and directed by David Schmoeller, who also directed Tourist Trap.

Starring the infamously eccentric and erratic actor, Klaus Kinski.

Kinski plays the disturbed landlord of an apartment building, who likes to crawl through the air ducts and spy on the women in the building. He also occasionally murders people.

The movie wasn't all that good, to tell the truth. Lot's of things didn't get much development, and it sometimes seemed like whole scenes were missing from the film. What really makes it worth watching is Kinski's performace. He was very good at playing a nutter, since he kind of was one in real life.

According to Schmoeller, on set Kinski was, big shock, an asshole to everybody. He made a short documentary about his strange experiences trying to direct Kinski, which you can watch here.

Bottom line, if you gotta watch, just watch for Kinski.

Cinema Club

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 19:51:40 Reply

At 1/14/14 05:46 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: ANNOUNCEMENT TYPE THING I GUESS:

It's kind of an interesting idea, but honestly, I dunno how much (or if) I'll participate.

I haven't yet seen a bad or mediocre feature film that came out last year.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 19:59:12 Reply

At 1/14/14 07:24 PM, Atlas wrote: I shall add Castle In The Sky, The Thing, The Evil Dead (love it), and all the recommended Terry Gilliam films. Also would I get banned if I linked to a movie streaming site?

I think you would. Try PM instead (including me, pls :) ).

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 20:01:18 Reply

At 1/14/14 07:59 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/14/14 07:24 PM, Atlas wrote: I shall add Castle In The Sky, The Thing, The Evil Dead (love it), and all the recommended Terry Gilliam films. Also would I get banned if I linked to a movie streaming site?

That is what I though. If you guys want the link just reply and I will send out some PM's.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 23:39:24 Reply

At 1/14/14 07:16 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'd like to participate in the movie of the week idea if I can, but I only get one movie from Netflix at a time and I don't have the streaming service, and I don't think I wanna rent whatever is chosen instead of what's on my queue. So maybe I'll look for a stream online or I'll rent the movie if it was something I had been meaning to see. Stalker is actually one that's been on my queue for quite a while. I've never seen any of Tarkovsky's movies.

Yeah, I figured accessibility to the movies might become an issue, so here's my spiel about that:

The person picking the MotW should be responsible for making sure on their own beforehand that it's reasonably accessible somewhere (I'm working on it right now for my pick), but they don't need to share that information with the whole group. If anyone is having trouble finding the MotW on their own during the week, they can send a PM to that person or to me and we'll figure it out.

Given that this whole thing depends on us having the widest possible range of movies to choose from, and given the realities of streaming licenses, DVD availability, region locking, basic personal finance and the simple fact of how things tend to be done on the Internet, I have to assume that people aren't always going to be getting a hold of the movies through the most legitimate means. So as far as this thread is concerned, let's just have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it comes to how we're accessing the movies, and let this post be the end of talking about it here.

but Spaceballs is meh, IMO.

I read something by the critic Drew McWeeny that I think nails why Spaceballs suffers in comparison to other Mel Brooks movies. He says that the movie is the first one where Brooks really doesn't seem to love or even understand the thing he's parodying, as opposed to his pitch-perfect but affectionate send-ups of Universal horror movies and Westerns and Hitchcock films and so on.

My favorite Mel Brooks movie is History of the World Part One.

I'd still say my favorite is Blazing Saddles, but yeah, I love History of the World Part One too (in fact the working title of a script I'm writing is "Jews In Space").

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-14 23:52:23 Reply

At 1/14/14 11:39 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: I'd still say my favorite is Blazing Saddles, but yeah, I love History of the World Part One too (in fact the working title of a script I'm writing is "Jews In Space").

Anyone who doesn't think To Be or Not to Be is Mel Brook's best film is just wrong.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-15 01:32:11 Reply

At 1/14/14 11:52 PM, Oolaph wrote: Anyone who doesn't think To Be or Not to Be is Mel Brook's best film is just wrong.

I mean, he acted in it and produced it but he didn't write or direct it, so it's not really a "Mel Brooks movie."

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-15 06:43:11 Reply

Whenever the first one is announced I'll make an effort to get a hold of it and see how much of a pain it actually is. See how it goes from there.

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-15 06:56:09 Reply

I don't mean to stop all the MoTW talk but I finally watched This Is The End. It had its moments but I would say it was pretty forgettable overall.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-15 12:47:51 Reply

I gosh darn brought up a movie of the week idea a few months ago and got no replies. I'd be down for any film mentioned so far.

Also as for gaining access to films, there doesn't seem to be any limit or restrictions on netflix so we could share our netflix accounts if some of you don't have one, and use hola unblocker to get around region locks and give everyone access to the same selection.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-15 15:51:43 Reply

Watched Frozen.

Pretty solid Disney film I think. I don't think it's quite as good as some of the Disney classics like Aladdin and The Lion King, but I can imagine kids of today will enjoy Frozen a lot and will have fond memories of it later.

The best thing about it is the effects in my opinion. The snow and ice magic looks really good.

At 1/13/14 11:42 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 1/13/14 07:25 PM, Auz wrote: Went out to see The Wolf of Wall Street.

Pretty good film overall. It's well acted and has lots of funny, entertaining moments. However, it is way, way, waaaaay longer than it needs to be. It runs for 3 full hours, but I felt like the entire film is pretty much summarised in the trailer already. I don't know why Scorsese had to show about four or five of Belfort's speeches to his employees, because they were basically the exact same scene over and over again. Also, there's not much development in the plot or in the characters at all.

Anyway, it is pretty good like I said, but I can't say I agree with the 8.7 score on IMDB. I've seen better films in 2013.
I saw the movie last night. I loved it and thought that it was a great movie. The speeches generally were given at different intervals, whether it be him starting up the company or deciding to not step down, so there was a lot of variety there that I don't think you're mentioning.

Maybe it was more that these scenes dragged on for too long. The first and second time I was fine with it, but after a third five-minutes long speech it started to tire me out a little.

Also, as for development, I'd say watching one man's rise and fall to power showed a lot of development, but I agree with you that I would have liked to see more of an arch instead of him just becoming a money hungry ass over one lunch with his employer.

The reason he went to Wall Street was simply to get rich, so I suppose he was already money hungry from the beginning. Though perhaps not much of an ass yet.

SPOILERS

Anyway, I think there's very little character progression in Belfort. By the end of the film he's still money hungry, still addicted to drugs, still fighting with his wife, etc. Furthermore, about two hours of the film is really just Belfort and his friends behaving like a bunch of idiots. Very little else is happening. The FBI is on his tail, but that's all covered in two minutes until they finally catch him two-and-a-half hours into the film.

Again, I think the film is simply too long. Two hours would've sufficed.

Also, what movies do you think were ahead of it in 2013? I'm curious.

At the moment I ranked it #9 of 2013 on my personal favourites list of last year, behind The Act of Killing, Gravity, The Place Beyond The Pines and Prisoners amongst some others.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-15 16:09:14 Reply

At 1/14/14 05:46 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: ANNOUNCEMENT TYPE THING I GUESS:
I'm talking about starting a club-wide Movie of the Week.

Sounds like a good idea. I'd be happy to join in as often as I can.

At 1/14/14 08:01 PM, Atlas wrote:
At 1/14/14 07:59 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
That is what I though. If you guys want the link just reply and I will send out some PM's.

I agree it's best if you don't share links to streaming sites on the BBS. NG might get in trouble.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-15 16:27:42 Reply

Also, since Dr-Worm mentioned it, here's my collection.

I think these pictures are mostly up to date. Should only be missing Frances Ha, Upstream Color, The Act of Killing, Godzilla vs Biollante, Only God Forgives, Spring Breakers and Seven Samurai.

Funded mostly through what some cynics might call irresponsible use of student loans.

Full size images:
http://www.pictureshack.us/images/54154_BD1.jpg
http://www.pictureshack.us/images/14680_DVD1.jpg
http://www.pictureshack.us/images/83975_DVD2.jpg

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2014-01-15 17:23:22 Reply

At 1/15/14 04:27 PM, TheMaster wrote: Also, since Dr-Worm mentioned it, here's my collection.

I think these pictures are mostly up to date. Should only be missing Frances Ha, Upstream Color, The Act of Killing, Godzilla vs Biollante, Only God Forgives, Spring Breakers and Seven Samurai.

Funded mostly through what some cynics might call irresponsible use of student loans.

So many movies, I only have around a quarter or maybe less of the amount of movies probably there. That is a great use of student loans.

BBS Signature