00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,485 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-11 11:11:02

I just came back from watching Real Steel.

I do really think it's about time Hollywood learns that overly witty kids are seldom ever funny and in most cases downright annoying. In this film it became ridiculous at some point, because next to being an 11 year old, witty, snot-nosed kid, the main character apparently speaks and understands Japanese, can streetdance on a professional level and somehow has knowledge in the field of robot mechanics because he fixes and upgrades his robot as if it's his daily routine. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy all this as a viewer. He's only in fifth grade ffs.

For the rest I think the film is often a bit cheesy and the plot wasn't too interesting. The robot fights were quite entertaining, but, along with Hugh Jackman, that's about all that I enjoyed about this film.

Now as a family film I think it works best. I guess the film somewhat tries to hook into the video game culture that modern age kids are familiar with. Looking back it does look like families and kids might've been the target audience, but it's odd then that the film doesn't advertise itself that way.

As a new take on the "boxer going back from from zero to hero"-genre I think it didn't work out so well.

All in all I think 6/10 would be a fair score, but I might even be a bit too generous there.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-11 15:53:47

Day 11 - Steven Spielberg

One of the most recognized directors in the world.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-12 08:35:42

Watched Trust last night.

One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Tells the story of a fourteen year old girl who's groomed by an older man via an internet chat-room. She meets up with him and is sexually abused. From here it's all about the effect it has on the family and how the parents and the girl deal with it. Really brutal film that's hard to watch in some places. The sexual scenes in particular had me looking away.

Clive Owen plays the girl father and he's absolutely superb. It's such a compelling performance, it's one of the few films I've seen that had me feeling every emotion with him. Not only did I want him to find the guy who abused his daughter but I wanted to stand alongside him and beat the shit out of the sick fuck. Yes, I'm aware it's a fictional film, but over the hour and half you tend to forget that.

I could talk about a bunch of scenes in detail and how great and powerful they are, but I think that would take something away from the rawness if anyone reading this does happen to watch it. And it's definitely, definitely worth watching.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-12 16:07:02

Day 12 - Citizen Kane

Yeah yeah yeah, you all heard the story. Citizen Kane is the greatest movie of all time, it did a lot for the movie industry, it was based off a conglomerate news media tyrant, we all know this story. However did people know that the tyrant wanted the movie destroyed and went to great lengths to try and make it happen?

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-12 16:26:04

I just watched Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion.

It's based on a very popular and famous anime series and is in fact an alternative ending to said series, replacing the last two episodes. They got short on budget towards the end and the final two episodes became a bit of a mess because of that. It left too many loose ends (in my opinion at least). So a year later they brought out this film as an alternative to satisfy the fans I guess.

I'll just keep it short:
I do think this is a much better ending to the series. If you ever plan on watching it, I would strongly recommend that you watch this film as well. It'll be worth it.

Secondly, there's absolutely no point in watching this film seperately as I'm sure you won't understand anything of what you'll see.

At 11/10/11 06:30 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Special 1 - The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Thanks for the basic explanation on how the academy awards work. Always wondered that :)

At 11/11/11 03:53 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Day 11 - Steven Spielberg

One of the most recognized directors in the world.

I do fully agree with that notion. Can't say I always like his films, but he has definitely done a lot for the film industry.

I saw he was also credited in Real Steel, but that actually got me wondering:
Does this guy really do anything for all the films he's credited in or does his name just get slapped on there to attract a bigger audience?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-12 17:27:35

At 11/12/11 04:26 PM, Auz wrote: I saw he was also credited in Real Steel, but that actually got me wondering:
Does this guy really do anything for all the films he's credited in or does his name just get slapped on there to attract a bigger audience?

Well I focused more on Steve Spielberg as a director. He is also known as a producer and he was one of the producers for Real Steel.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-12 19:30:14

I've loved all the Robocop movies since I was about 6 or 7 years old.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-12 23:01:43

You know besides Auz, I'm not really getting any feedback for these. I'm thinking of abandoning the project. There's no point in writing something like this without any feedback.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-13 20:26:40

Well Spielberg's done a lot of great stuff. I loved the Indiana Jones movies, except for the Kingdom of the Chrystal Skull. Jurassic Park, E.T, Schindler's List, Hook, and Saving Private Ryan were all great, too. And I thought Minority Report was quite good. I've been meaning to see Close Encounters of a Third Kind and Empire of the Sun. And he's produced a lot of good stuff. I'm especially fond of the Warner Brothers cartoons he produced, particularly Freakazoid, but I grew up with all of it. Did he also produce Histeria? I know a lot of people from Animaniacs and such were involved with it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-14 15:11:15

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've never watched a Robocop film before.

At 11/12/11 05:27 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 11/12/11 04:26 PM, Auz wrote: I saw he was also credited in Real Steel, but that actually got me wondering:
Well I focused more on Steve Spielberg as a director. He is also known as a producer and he was one of the producers for Real Steel.

Yeah, but he's a producer in many things and sometimes I wonder what he really does for the film.

At 11/12/11 11:01 PM, The-Great-One wrote: You know besides Auz, I'm not really getting any feedback for these. I'm thinking of abandoning the project. There's no point in writing something like this without any feedback.

Aw that's too bad :(

But I wonder, why did you not make threads for each of them like you did last time in the VG Forum? Surely that'll give your posts more exposure.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-14 15:31:23

At 11/14/11 03:11 PM, Auz wrote: But I wonder, why did you not make threads for each of them like you did last time in the VG Forum? Surely that'll give your posts more exposure.

Or at least an official thread in General.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-14 16:10:18

I just watched Thinner, which was kinda freaky. It was alright.

At 11/14/11 03:11 PM, Auz wrote: I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've never watched a Robocop film before.

You've been missing out on one of the best action movies ever, and another action movie that's quite cool. The third one is alright, I guess. I'm still nostalgic over it, but meh.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-14 23:28:38

At 11/14/11 03:11 PM, Auz wrote: Aw that's too bad :(

But I wonder, why did you not make threads for each of them like you did last time in the VG Forum? Surely that'll give your posts more exposure.

When I did that with June Games it didn't really give it any more exposure and not a lot of people liked June Games so I decided to drop that as well. I've decided to just say fuck trying to write something that will get criticism for being boring, uninteresting, or that nobody will read. If anybody wants to give it a try then they can have the account.

I thank you Auz and anybody else who read it, but I'm done. I've got The Underground and I've got The Interviewer and that's all I need for now.

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-15 01:45:10

I always wanted to be like QT. My fav movies are Pulp Fiction and Inception

Cinema Club

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-15 17:27:37

I went to see Mark Kermode talk about movies earlier tonight.

Was part of his book tour, doing a night at my usual cinema, so went along. Had read the book when it first came out and he didn't really cover much that isn't in there, so he talked mostly about why multiplex culture is terrible, why critics don't matter, and why it's baffling that blockbusters are shit even though they make money regardless of quality, so why not just make good ones? Was still entertaining, and the Q&A was great. Night ended on a high note when he was asked whether he'd rather never be allowed to see The Exorcist (his favourite film) or Simon Mayo (his co-host) again, and he spent 5 minutes weighing the pros and cons of each before deciding Mayo was the better pension plan.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-16 12:58:03

This afternoon I went to see Tower Heist with Eddie Murphy.

It's not bad and it has its moments, but I don't really find it anything special. It's a run-of-the-mill comedy film about a bunch of amateurs trying to perform a big heist. Obviously this isn't as easy as it seemed at first and they end up in hilarious situations and whatnot.

I do like Eddie Murphy, but on the other hand I kinda doubt whether he can play anything else other than the fast-talking black guy. In this film he is once again just Eddie Murphy.

All in all it's an okay film, but I wouldn't spend your money on it. It's very forgettable.

At 11/14/11 04:10 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 11/14/11 03:11 PM, Auz wrote: I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've never watched a Robocop film before.
You've been missing out on one of the best action movies ever, and another action movie that's quite cool. The third one is alright, I guess. I'm still nostalgic over it, but meh.

I know it's really a cult classic, but somehow I missed out on it during my childhood and I haven't really bothered to look it up later either. I don't know, I might check it out next time it's on TV.

At 11/14/11 11:28 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
When I did that with June Games it didn't really give it any more exposure and not a lot of people liked June Games so I decided to drop that as well.

Oh I thought you still got a good bunch of posts with every new topic. And I think there are usually only a handful of regulars here who really check out this thread on a daily basis. I think making threads in the General Forum would've gotten you more exposure, but oh well...

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-16 13:06:42

At 11/15/11 08:17 PM, tyler2513 wrote: This year has been great for films in my opinion.

Definitely has. The Guard, Tyrannosaur, Drive, Kill List, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, loads of good stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-16 19:01:00

David Cronenberg, one of the greatest living directors, is making a movie about Jung and Freud. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. The subject doesn't interest me much, but Cronenberg is an excelent director, and it has Viggo Mortensen, Keira Knightley, and Vincent Cassel, who are all awesome.

Also, I'm trying to remember the name of this one movie that looks interesting. It's about these teenagers who gain superpowers. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? It's not out yet. There was a part where one of the kids uses telekinesis to make a stuffed bear dance around and frightens a little girl.

At 11/14/11 11:28 PM, The-Great-One wrote: I've got The Underground and I've got The Interviewer and that's all I need for now.

I've been meaning to watch Underground, assuming you're talking about the same movie I am.

At 11/16/11 12:58 PM, Auz wrote: I know it's really a cult classic, but somehow I missed out on it during my childhood and I haven't really bothered to look it up later either. I don't know, I might check it out next time it's on TV.

Don't watch it on TV. It will be heavily edited. Trust me, dude. If you like action and you like Sci Fi, you will like Robocop and Robocop 2.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-17 01:59:11

Hey are any of you fans of American History X, Fight Club, and/or The Illusionist? Edward Norton is an actor from all three of those movies. Want to know more about him and how he possibly got into these movies?

Inside the Actors Studio: Edward Norton

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-17 05:28:08

At 11/17/11 01:59 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Hey are any of you fans of American History X, Fight Club, and/or The Illusionist? Edward Norton is an actor from all three of those movies. Want to know more about him and how he possibly got into these movies?

Bookmarked for later. Love the first two and own the third with the intention of watching soon. Thanks for sharing!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-17 07:01:56

At 11/16/11 07:01 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Also, I'm trying to remember the name of this one movie

I just remembered what it's called.

Chronicle

What do you guys think?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-18 08:12:58

At 11/15/11 01:45 AM, NinoGrounds wrote: I always wanted to be like QT. My fav movies are Pulp Fiction and Inception

I've always had respect for QT. His films are great for somebody who has had little to no training in the media industry. I have to admit that I would love to make a film in his style one day. Everybody got a dream.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-18 08:19:47

Tarrantino works better when he's forced to work within limits. Now that he's able to do whatever he likes he doesn't make anything approaching Reservoir Dogs, or even Pulp Fiction. The same is true for a lot of directors.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-18 09:23:06

At 11/18/11 08:19 AM, TheMaster wrote: Tarrantino works better when he's forced to work within limits. Now that he's able to do whatever he likes he doesn't make anything approaching Reservoir Dogs, or even Pulp Fiction. The same is true for a lot of directors.

I agree, I wasn't to happy with Inglorious Bastards. Maybe somebody should give him a really small budget so he can make something with a skeleton crew of about 5 people and some small up and coming actors. Maybe then he could get an oscar or two.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-18 09:35:39

At 11/18/11 09:23 AM, Decky wrote: I agree, I wasn't to happy with Inglorious Bastards.

Really? I loved it. Loved Kill Bill as well. Hell I even thought Death Proof was ok. Can't wait for his next film, Django Unchained.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-18 11:44:57

At 11/16/11 07:01 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 11/16/11 12:58 PM, Auz wrote: I know it's really a cult classic, but somehow I missed out on it during my childhood and I haven't really bothered to look it up later either. I don't know, I might check it out next time it's on TV.
Don't watch it on TV. It will be heavily edited. Trust me, dude. If you like action and you like Sci Fi, you will like Robocop and Robocop 2.

I'm not such a sci-fi geek to be honest, but it's not like I hate the genre either. What exactly did they edit in the TV version if I may ask?

At 11/18/11 08:19 AM, TheMaster wrote: Now that he's able to do whatever he likes he doesn't make anything approaching Reservoir Dogs, or even Pulp Fiction.

I don't entirely agree with that statement. While Pulp Fiction was definitely his magnum opus, I think Inglourious Basterds was an excellent film as well and in my opinion his second best.

Or do you mean in terms of style and setting?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-18 14:12:09

At 11/17/11 01:59 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Hey are any of you fans of American History X, Fight Club, and/or The Illusionist? Edward Norton is an actor from all three of those movies. Want to know more about him and how he possibly got into these movies?

I've already seen this one but I still watched it again just for the hell of it because he's my favorite actor.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-18 17:10:35

Has anybody been watching Hell on Wheels? It looks like this will be good. I've seen the two episodes that are out so far.

At 11/18/11 11:44 AM, Auz wrote: I'm not such a sci-fi geek to be honest, but it's not like I hate the genre either. What exactly did they edit in the TV version if I may ask?

I've never watched it on TV, but it almost certainly would have a lot of awkward cut-aways in several very violent scenes, and a lot of muting out profanity, or worse, replacing it like (yippee kiyay Mr. Falcon). Then again, basic cable seems to have almost no limit when it comes to gore anymore. In the 90's, there's no way AMC would have gotten away with the Walking Dead.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-18 17:21:39

I just watched Mary and Max, the animation film from 2009.

I have to say, this is an excellent animation film. The plot is wonderful and moving and I like how the film does its best to comfort all the lonely people in the world. You can cleary see that the film is made with heart and the makers really cared for the story and the characters. While the film does deal with very adult themes, like addiction, suicide, love and death, it presents them in such a way that I think even children can understand what it's about. I also liked the tragicomical tone in some scenes.

That this film didn't get a nomination for best animated feature is a mystery to me. I know there were many good animation films in 2009, but I honestly think this one topped most of the nominations.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2011-11-18 17:56:54

I've had Mary and Max on my queue for a while. I feel like the less I know about it before watching it, the better, for some reason. I dunno, but I do intend to see it eventually.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature