Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-03 17:31:25 Reply

At 6/2/11 05:37 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 6/2/11 05:18 PM, Auz wrote: I'll be watching The Last Stand tomorrow.
If you didn't really like X-2, don't expect anything from Last Stand. 2 >>> 1 > 3

I thought 2 was pretty decent. And after seeing three, I fully agree with that order. Three is a pretty big step down from two and didn't reach the level of one either.

*SPOILERS BELOW WARNING*
That whole thing with Jean just came completely out of the blue and didn't fit into the first two films at all.

The ending was pretty lame too. No idea what happens with that kid in white who can take away everyones powers. Apparently Magneto hasn't lost his powers, Charles might still be alive, so it feels like we really haven't accomplished much plotwise. Sure, two characters are now dead, but well... They could make a sequel and just make up a mutant who can revive people or whatever and do the whole thing again.
*END SPOILERS*

I guess they just tried really hard to outdo the second film. More drama, more action, more explosions, but it simply falls short to the other two.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-03 17:49:49 Reply

At 5/31/11 06:56 PM, Auz wrote: I just watched Crash.

I love that movie. All of the branching plotlines are interesting and they always switch between them to keep it fresh while still keeping it coherent.

I myself have watched a lot of movies. I watched The King's Speech which was actually really funny and much more light hearted than I originally expected. I watched Warlords which was a cool Jet Li movie, pretty standard fare in that department.

Mostly i've just been filling my head with episodes of 24 which is probably the greatest show of all time.

Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-03 21:20:08 Reply

Just saw X-Men: First Class. I thought it was great. One of the Top 5 superhero movies, in my opinion, and by far my favorite of the X-Men movies. They did a great job casting people who can actually act as opposed to big name celebrities. McAvoy and Fassbender were the big standouts for me. The movie was very funny at times and the action was very well directed. It's rare that you get this much character depth in a modern blockbuster. Also it has a fucking great cameo.

so yeah I'd recommend it.

Shanus
Shanus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-04 22:22:23 Reply

Sweet a cinephile club, just what the doctor ordered.
I pretty much watch films religiously.

Tonight I watched The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) - great Wes Anderson movie with a superb cast

Last night I watched The Host (2006) - one of the best monster film I've seen ever.

Tomorrow I'm going to watch Society (1989) & Hanna (2011).

As you can probably tell I really should get out more. :)

Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge || Elite Guard Barracks || Review Request Club || NGLog

I watch an unholy amount of films

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-04 23:22:42 Reply

At 6/2/11 09:20 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Have you seen Happy People? It's him as a successful comedian who's diagnosed with terminal cancer, so he goes around trying to get back in contact with old flames and he returns to stand up, it's really quite good I thought. A much more sombre experience than a lot of adam sandler films, the plot's really well done and some of the supporting cast like seth rogen's flatmates are pretty cool

Fact Nazi coming in: it's Funny People. I agree it's a good film and it's even kind of sad.

Any of you ever heard of the Bechdel Test? I didn't until yesterday when one of my college teachers showed this video to my class, which explains what the test is and gives plenty of examples of films. It's something I haven't really thought of before. Sure, you may see a developed and strong female character in a film, which I certainly think is good, but that doesn't pass the test. I think it's interesting and troublesome how women are underrepresented in cinema.

Cinema Club

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-05 01:27:33 Reply

Watched Die Hard 3 on Friday.

Honestly, this has to be one of the best action movies ever. How did this flick not get an Academy Award?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-05 08:26:47 Reply

At 6/2/11 09:20 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Have you seen Happy People?

That film really surprised me actually. When I bought it the guy in the shop was telling me he'd watched it and despite not being a huge Sandler fan he actually really enjoyed it. I saw it a while back and thought the same. I do like a fair few of his flicks (Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, Longest Yard, etc) but I can see how a lot of people would think he's just rehashing the same character.

Happy People was him playing that character but with a whole new dimension when it came to emotions, feelings and all that crap. I think it's the only Adam Sandler movie I've seen where he's more than just a funny guy who gets into trouble and then saves the day. Yes that is the plot in its rawest, but it's so much more than that.

My only gripe would be that at nearly two and a half hours, it was a tad long for my liking.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-06 02:08:03 Reply

Just saw X-Men First Class opening day it was really good except the way Xavier was paralyzed isn't how he was actually paralyzed.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-09 03:22:26 Reply

I saw Blue Valentine, a drama about a romantic relationship between characters played by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. It's told in a nonlinear timeline from around when they first meet and years after they get married. The film is terrific. I learned there was improvisation with the two actors and their dialogue for realism. It works. I was thoroughly engaged and believed the story and whatnot. The conflict with them in the hospital after their night in the peculiar motel room is intense and, frankly, incredible. There is occasional humour I found funny, like when Gosling's character spontaneously climbs a bridge fence. At the end, I honestly had tears in my eyes. I love this film and the original NC-17 rating by the MPAA is ridiculous, so I'm glad it was appropriately changed to an R.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-09 03:43:30 Reply

Somewhat off topic, but Netflix changed there site design today.. Everything about it is terrible.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-09 21:37:31 Reply

I came here to say this and didn't expect Jolly's post to be about Netflix, but anywho:

I just signed up for Netflix today and I can't believe it took me this long. Netflix in Canada is a bit shit because there isn't a ton of content, but there's still enough to enjoy myself. I plan to watch Exit Through The Gift Shop this weekend, but right now I'm watching The Boy with the Striped Pajamas.

Hurray

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-09 22:14:49 Reply

At 6/9/11 09:37 PM, Makeshift wrote: Netflix

Does the Canadian Netflix look like this? (It's the new design)

Cinema Club

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-09 22:37:17 Reply

At 6/9/11 10:14 PM, Jolly wrote:

Kind of...

I don't have a queue and I can't bookmark movies or anything. The Canadian selection is horrid as well.

Cinema Club

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-10 07:01:29 Reply

At 6/9/11 10:37 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 6/9/11 10:14 PM, Jolly wrote:
Kind of...

I don't have a queue and I can't bookmark movies or anything. The Canadian selection is horrid as well.

How do you use netflix without a queue? Can you only watch movies instantly?

Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-10 10:39:17 Reply

Hi, it's been a while since I posted in this forum but I'm still about.

Just posting to say I Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs the other day. Now I'm not the biggest fan of childrens animated films, it has to be said, but this one was good. I had the right balance of humour for everybody and some tongue in cheek jokes. The animation was of a good quality as well.

All I'm saying is that if you are stuck babysitting or something and have to put a film on to entertain the little shits. This is one to stick on.

Cinema Club

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-10 15:18:57 Reply

At 6/10/11 07:01 AM, Jolly wrote: How do you use netflix without a queue? Can you only watch movies instantly?

Yep, as far as I can see.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-10 21:43:19 Reply

I watched Slumdog Millionaire yesterday. I thought it was pretty good.. The dancing scene at the end shouldn't have been there, though.

At 6/10/11 03:18 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 6/10/11 07:01 AM, Jolly wrote: How do you use netflix without a queue? Can you only watch movies instantly?
Yep, as far as I can see.

You should still have a queue.. On the American Netflix you have a seperate queue for movies you want to watch instantly and movies you want to have delivered to your home. The Canadian Netflix must really suck.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-10 21:52:21 Reply

At 6/10/11 09:43 PM, Jolly wrote: You should still have a queue.. On the American Netflix you have a seperate queue for movies you want to watch instantly and movies you want to have delivered to your home. The Canadian Netflix must really suck.

Maybe I don't have a queue because I'm on the trial right now. I didn't realize the queue meant it would actually get sent to your home.

Struggle
Struggle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-11 16:28:46 Reply

At 6/10/11 09:52 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 6/10/11 09:43 PM, Jolly wrote: You should still have a queue.. On the American Netflix you have a seperate queue for movies you want to watch instantly and movies you want to have delivered to your home. The Canadian Netflix must really suck.
Maybe I don't have a queue because I'm on the trial right now. I didn't realize the queue meant it would actually get sent to your home.

canadian netflix doesn't do mail... and the stream selection is seriously shit.

anyways, just watched Idi i smotri (eng: come and see). it was pretty good.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-11 21:02:53 Reply

I got a ticket to the June 25th premiere of the Canadian horror/thriller film The Unleashed with Malcolm McDowell. (I don't know if he's gonna be there.) I've never been to a film premiere before. There's even a dress code. I'll talk about the experience afterward.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-11 23:23:51 Reply

I watched Super 8 tonight...

It might still be June, but I'm going to go ahead and say that this is probably the best movie of the summer. I honestly cannot see anything topping this.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-12 01:14:48 Reply

I watched that owl movie whose title I can't be bothered to remember at the moment.

I have to say though, aside from the fact that the whole owl concept and stuff is a little too goofy for the kind of tone it takes this movie really is great to just watch.

Hell, throw on a few epic tunes and watch the action and you'd have a great time. It really is rather beautiful to watch even if the use of slow mo is a bit abusive at times.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-12 03:11:49 Reply

At 6/12/11 01:14 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: I watched that owl movie whose title I can't be bothered to remember at the moment.

I have to say though, aside from the fact that the whole owl concept and stuff is a little too goofy for the kind of tone it takes this movie really is great to just watch.

Hell, throw on a few epic tunes and watch the action and you'd have a great time. It really is rather beautiful to watch even if the use of slow mo is a bit abusive at times.

I think you're talking about Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-12 08:33:37 Reply

Watched X-Men: First Class today, pretty good. I always enjoy prequels, if only because you already know how they're going to end. James McAvoy was pretty good as prof x and shit. a bit predictable not just in the long term but also in the medium and short term but oh well, a good summer blockbuster

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-12 14:01:41 Reply

Despite having a name that sounds like a hotel chain, I actually enjoyed Super 8. It really did keep me at the edge of my seat, which is kind of obvious because it's a sci-fi thriller, with some humor to keep it from being totally dark and gritty, which is a nice touch.

I also saw X-Men First Class, and I had my doubt about this, but I was pleasantly surprised on how it turned out. Even with mostly B-list actors, I thought they did an excellent job with the characters, most notably James McAvoy as Professor X and Michael Fassbender as Magneto, and the action sequences are well-done. Now is it going to replace "The Dark Knight" as the best superhero movie, I doubt it, but it's right up there for sure.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-12 23:17:40 Reply

Watched Super 8last night.

Cute movie, skews a little young, but still entertaining. I thought a lot of the action sequences were really overdone and I actually enjoyed the quiet personal moments more than I did the explosions. Even if some of the dialogue so poorly written it had me squirming in my seat.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-13 14:49:02 Reply

I don't know if I've ever actually posted in this thread before, which is weird considering I'm a film student, but whatever. Anyway, I've seen a handful of this summer's movies in the past week or so, so I guess I'll share some thoughts on them:

X-Men: First Class- I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Professor X and Magneto were both written and performed well, and the history-incorporating plot was silly in a fun way. All in all it was nothing special, but aside from some seriously groan-inducing dialogue, it was a decent enough summer movie.

The Tree of Life- I'm not going to pretend to fully understand it after just one viewing, but I will say that it was an amazing, often awe-inspiring experience with some of the most beautiful cinematography I've ever seen. It's incredibly ambitious in its scope, themes, and style to the point where it's one of those rare movies that makes the plot of every other movie seem silly and trivial in comparison. It's about nothing less than the immensity of the universe and our little tiny place in it. It reminds me of 2001: A Space Odyssey in that way, and the two films are almost like inverses of each other. Where 2001 is cold, distant, and entirely intellectual, The Tree of Life is deeply personal, emotional and spiritual.

It's a very interesting new angle on similar ideas, but I think it's also what keeps me from connecting with it at the same level as I did with 2001. As a Northeastern Jew who grew up in the late '90s and early '00s, I had kind of a hard time connecting to the themes through the experiences of a Southern Christian kid in the 1950s. But still, it's a great film that you should definitely experience for yourself if you get the chance.

Super 8- This is everything that a great summer movie is supposed to be. Well-drawn and likable characters who seem like actual people and not just plot vehicles (er...for the most part), fantastical elements presented with nerdy enthusiasm and excitement, mystery, suspense, action, fun, humor, heart, wonder, sentimentality that's probably a little unearned but you let it slide and get wrapped up in it anyway because the whole thing's just so damn magical (or, "the Spielberg Effect"). The movie's got it all.

It's recycled magic, sure, but magic nonetheless, and that's a hell of a lot more than I can say for the latest piece of schlock about indistinguishable blurs of CGI banging into each other. Along with its derivative nature, there are a few other problems that hold Super 8 back from true greatness (the emotional throughline is kind of clunkily executed throughout, and as a result the ending doesn't quite work, plus the whole filmmaking angle is gradually dropped, which sucks because that's far and away the best part of the movie), as well as a couple other nitpicky issues to point out (seriously, J.J. Abrams, enough with the fucking lens flares), but overall this was one of my most anticipated movies of the summer and it absolutely delivered.

Something tells me that more than a few of the younger kids in the audience are leaving Super 8 cinephiles for life, if not actual filmmakers, and that's a quality that's important, special, and sadly rare in today's entertainment.

Also, as a side note, I just want to point out that X-Men and Super 8 (but especially X-Men), each rated PG-13, both make brilliant strategic use of their one allotted "fuck." If this becomes a trend in these kinds of movies, it'd almost make the MPAA's stupid, stupid rules forgivable. Almost.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-14 09:50:03 Reply

I've just been to Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

Just like the former films in the series, it's fun and entertaining to watch. There's more plot and direction in it than in the second and the third film, but I don't think it's any better or worse. It's just a typical Pirates film and I think fans of the series won't be disappointed.

But really... this ought to be the last film in the series. I think this cow has been milked enough already.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-16 13:18:27 Reply

I saw a short film called Genesis, it was quite beautiful and sad.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2011-06-16 21:09:10 Reply

Just watched Lords Of Dogtown for the second time. I mean the movie is great Stacy wrote it great the fights look real and I give it a 10 out of 10 and I was sad when thhey said Sid died.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature