Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 06:38 PM Reply

At 9/8/12 03:26 PM, SG3 wrote:
At 9/8/12 11:13 AM, Slint wrote:
Apparently, the ending is supposed to depict Dave's evolution into the star-child. The monolith is meant to be an artefact (I think it's supposed to have been created by aliens / post-humans?) that speeds up the natural process of evolution, hence it's presence when the apes develop tools in the beginning, and the weird, trippy light show you see is Dave's perspective as his mind expands and he's suddenly able to comprehend concepts about reality intangible to man. So the space-foetus majig you see at the end is Dave's evolved state.

Thanks, I think I'm getting the full picture now.
I understood some of that when I saw it, but now it does make more sense.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 08:05 PM Reply

At 9/8/12 04:21 PM, Glides wrote:
At 9/8/12 06:47 AM, SG3 wrote:
Funny People was just awful, it was like the reverse of everything Apatow normally does. It was one of the bad Apatow movies, like Walk Hard.

I actually really liked Funny People. It was a little long, but otherwise a nice change from all-out comedy to a semi-serious comedy. Sandler's best performance of recent years, although yes, that's not saying much.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 10:16 AM Reply

Been awhile since I've seen any films but I have recently seen two which were Premium Rush and ParaNorman. They were decently satisfying films and I consider them to be mediocre.

Premium Rush
Definitely the lesser out of these two movies even though it was quite the high acting performance and could be quite funny at times. While some of the highly intense action attempts to suck viewers in, those who stop and think will realise how much of this movie is really just mindless action with a boring plot. Some of the actors were so over the top compared to Joseph Gordon-Levitt that it was instantly noticeable as well.
2.5/5.0

ParaNorman
I thought Coraline was a pretty decent film so I knew there was almost no way I was going to hate this one. They really make the movie look fantastically well done with cutting edge quality that reminds me a bit of the movie 9 for some reason. I'm pretty sure the creators were aware there story was basically just recycling through old used up ideas and relied more on there intense animation work to make the film seem better. I like to think of this as a modern day Rankin/Bass because it's just so well done and sheds light on stop-motion film once again to the world. Unfortunately I didn't think the comedy was as good as others have appeared to, some of it just seemed plain dumb.
3.0/5.0

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 9/8/12 04:21 PM, Glides wrote:
I recently watched Fargo, to expand my Coen Brothers knowledge. I'm not the biggest fan of crime-thrillers, but it was well executed and funny enough that I really enjoyed it. The morality shown was believable and interesting and the locations were nice and fit with the tone of the film.

I think overall, I prefer it to Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou and Burn After Reading, but not as much as Barton Fink or The Big Lebowski. I'm going to have to watch Raising Arizona a third time to properly categorise it.
I've only seen Lebowski and True Grit. No Country for Old Men I turned off, it was boring to me.

But, but, but... it's like their magnum opus :(

I enjoyed The Big Lebowski more, but No Country For Old Men is definitely my second favourite Coen brothers film. I liked Fargo and Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou as well. Burn After Reading was a bit disappointing in my opinion.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 9/8/12 04:21 PM, Glides wrote: Funny People was just awful, it was like the reverse of everything Apatow normally does. It was one of the bad Apatow movies, like Walk Hard.

I loved Funny People. It felt very believable and character-driven, and, perhaps more importantly, very funny. The comedy/drama aspect was expertly balanced, but I think its main flaw was pacing. I think it's around the midpoint that there's this huge change in the time frame, which initially really bothered me. Still, I'm glad he managed to get it off the ground, because it was obviously a very personal project for him, and I doubt he'll have the opportunity to do something like it again.

Haven't seen Walk Hard, so no comment there. That one didn't really call to me.

At 9/8/12 08:05 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: I actually really liked Funny People. It was a little long, but otherwise a nice change from all-out comedy to a semi-serious comedy. Sandler's best performance of recent years, although yes, that's not saying much.

It was nice seeing him get to play a more personal role, yeah, and he handled it really well. A lot of the supporting cast were also great. Aubrey Plaza and Jason Schwartzman in particular.

At 9/9/12 11:41 AM, Auz wrote: I enjoyed The Big Lebowski more, but No Country For Old Men is definitely my second favourite Coen brothers film. I liked Fargo and Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou as well. Burn After Reading was a bit disappointing in my opinion.

I completely forgot they did No Country For Old Men until now. It feels very atypical of them, I guess. Brilliantly done, though.

DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 07:21 PM Reply

On the subject of the Coen Brothers, there films are some of my favourites.

I've seen and enjoyed Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading, A Serious Man and True Grit. I'm probably in the minority here, but my least favourite film of theres is probably The Big Lebowski (although maybe Raising Arizona, I don't know). Lebowski just didn't do it for me really.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 09:03 PM Reply

At 9/9/12 07:21 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: On the subject of the Coen Brothers, there films are some of my favourites.

I've seen and enjoyed Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading, A Serious Man and True Grit. I'm probably in the minority here, but my least favourite film of theres is probably The Big Lebowski (although maybe Raising Arizona, I don't know). Lebowski just didn't do it for me really.

I loved Fargo, The Big Lebowski, No Country For Old Men.

Then there's Burn After Reading, which I felt is good, but not as good as the above.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 10th, 2012 @ 12:20 AM Reply

Recently saw the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Good movie that was a lot funnier than I expected. The lightning guy was aces.

Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 10th, 2012 @ 02:15 PM Reply

Went to see Samsara and Lawless today.

Samsara is the best film I have seen in ages, and NEEDS to be seen on the big screen because I can't imagine it working half as well on a TV. Lawless was fine, a decent enough gangster film that doesn't really do anything new but has a strong enough cast to get away with it.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 06:42 PM Reply

No Country for Old Men is fantastic. The only Coen Brothers movie I haven't seen is Intolerable Cruelty and the only film I didn't care for was a Serious Man.

Also, I recently watched the Raid: Redemption, which is the best action movie I've seen since Undisputed 2 and 3.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 10:25 AM Reply

I went to check out Ted today, the comedy film by Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane.

Whether you'll think it's funny depends a bit on whether you like Seth MacFarlane's sense of humour I guess, but all in all I think it's pretty good for a comedy. It's a nice twist on the "boy's toys come to life" idea and I think people, especially those in their late 20's-30's, will like all the '80s references stuffed into this film.

So I can recommend this film unless you really hate Family Guy for some reason.

BBS Signature
powerdude964
powerdude964
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 11:04 AM Reply

At 9/15/12 10:25 AM, Auz wrote: So I can recommend this film unless you really hate Family Guy for some reason.

*ahem*

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick
Check out my Reddit, dudes.

Glides
Glides
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 05:43 PM Reply

At 9/16/12 11:04 AM, powerdude964 wrote:
At 9/15/12 10:25 AM, Auz wrote: So I can recommend this film unless you really hate Family Guy for some reason.
*ahem*

My mother stupidly tried to connect with me by taking me to see Ted. I don't even live in my parents' house anymore. And she blamed me for her hatred of that movie.
It's pretty stupid, but I did laugh my ass off.

Glides is done with his post.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 06:25 PM Reply

I saw Paranorman with my sis and niece yesterday. It was great.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 11:59 PM Reply

At 9/3/12 09:01 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I've bought a ticket to this anthology horror film The ABCs of Death (NSFW) at the Toronto International Film Festival. 26 directors contributed to this film. I dunno what else I'll see, if anything. Thank God it's easier to buy tickets than last year.

The ABCs of Death is a weird and wild ride. Although it's kinda uneven and a bit exhausting, it's quite entertaining and sometimes funny. I was really laughing at the segment that involves farting and lesbians.

I also saw the documentary The End of Time, which is absolutely beautiful and surreal. I definitely wanna see it again.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

I went to see The Angel's Share today.

It's a British film based in Scotland about a young guy who narrowly escapes jail after beating up some kid (under the influence of alcohol and cocaine). He's about to become a dad and tries to change his life which isn't so easy when a couple of blokes keep coming after his ass. After a visit to whiskey distillery he sees a chance to turn his life over.

I really enjoyed the film. The plot was pretty good in my opinion and I liked the characters. Although in the beginning I thought the main character was a total douchebag and I really didn't care for him, but as the film progressed I got more sympathy for him and hoped he would get out of his miserable life.

Anyway, all in all I think it's one of the better films I've seen this year.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 09:00 PM Reply

I watched Paper Moon a few days ago, from its recommendation in this book. It was actually a surprisingly easy watch. Has this great balance between sentimental old-timey movie and dark comedy, and the nine year-old lead was really great. It has an element of road-movie to it and, from what it looked like, I don't think it was filmed with back-projection. Certainly seemed a lot more realistic than other movies of its style. By the end, I was definitely committed to the characters, so I count that as a success. I'd recommend it just on the way it treads the line between cutesy and realistic.

I also saw Christopher Nolan's remake of Insomnia, which was very well done. Aside from how great the portrayal of morality felt, it's interesting to see that his direction didn't suffer from the increased budget in comparison to Memento. The editing and cinematography were well executed and, I felt, a lot more professional. I think the main stand out would have to be the sound-design, though. Really made me think about how much of an effect it makes when done right, especially in the thriller genre. Still, good to see, considering this is probably his least talked about movie.

Cinema Club

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 09:13 PM Reply

So my local cinema is doing an all nighter with it's 3 screens showing 6 films each starting at 10PM and running through until about 12 the following day.

I've narrowed down my first 4 choices to Brazil, Alien, The Thing and Drive, but I'm not sure what to go for in the last 2 slots.

One has Spaceballs, The Princess Bride and Ghost In The Shell and the other has Godzilla, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I have seen everything in the second slot, but nothing from the first.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 9/20/12 09:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: So my local cinema is doing an all nighter with it's 3 screens showing 6 films each starting at 10PM and running through until about 12 the following day.

I've narrowed down my first 4 choices to Brazil, Alien, The Thing and Drive, but I'm not sure what to go for in the last 2 slots.

One has Spaceballs, The Princess Bride and Ghost In The Shell and the other has Godzilla, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I watched Ghost In The Shell a few years ago. It's visually very impressive, but I couldn't tell you anything specific about the plot - except that it involves cyborgs, an evil corporation (?) and I think something vaguely important stored on a floppy disk. I'm probably underselling it, but it didn't really strike a chord with me. Think anime Johnny Mnemonic.

Still, sounds cool. I've never been to a reshowing of a movie before. I hear it's a much better experience than home video.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 10:44 PM Reply

At 9/20/12 09:00 PM, SG3 wrote: I also saw Christopher Nolan's remake of Insomnia, which was very well done.

Did you see the original? The remake is good, but they changed a little bit about the character. They made him mor of a good guy than he was supposed to be. He makes some immoral choices that are not in the remake. Still, I thought it was great, and some people would probably prefer it over the original. I'm on the fence, though.

At 9/20/12 09:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: One has Spaceballs, The Princess Bride and Ghost In The Shell and the other has Godzilla, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

first slot, definitely. GITS and Princess Bride are both great. Spaceballs is good, but most people like it more than I do. I think Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are way better.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 21st, 2012 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 9/20/12 10:44 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 9/20/12 09:00 PM, SG3 wrote: I also saw Christopher Nolan's remake of Insomnia, which was very well done.
Did you see the original? The remake is good, but they changed a little bit about the character. They made him mor of a good guy than he was supposed to be. He makes some immoral choices that are not in the remake. Still, I thought it was great, and some people would probably prefer it over the original. I'm on the fence, though.

I haven't seen it, no. I'll have to check it out. I hear the murderer character has a more developed role in the remake, so it would be interesting to see how he's presented in the original film.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 21st, 2012 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 9/20/12 10:44 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: first slot, definitely. GITS and Princess Bride are both great. Spaceballs is good, but most people like it more than I do. I think Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are way better.

No I mean I have to pick one film from each slot, as the 3 in each are running simultaneously on different screens.

BBS Signature
powerdude964
powerdude964
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 21st, 2012 @ 07:55 PM Reply

I'm going to go and see the new Resident Evil movie. Anyone else?

Also, what do you guys think of the Saw films?

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick

Glides
Glides
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 21st, 2012 @ 08:35 PM Reply

At 9/21/12 07:55 PM, powerdude964 wrote: I'm going to go and see the new Resident Evil movie. Anyone else?

Also, what do you guys think of the Saw films?

Awful on both counts, dude.
I'd recommend 21 Jump Street. I'm watching that for the billionth time and I'm still laughing my ass off.
If you're a horror guy, I'd recommend an indie called Teeth. Scariest shit ever, and actually one of the best of recent years.

Glides is done with his post.

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 22nd, 2012 @ 02:17 AM Reply

I'm gonna watch a bunch of foreign films over the coming weeks.
Icelandic, Russian, Hungarian, Greek, Danish, Aussie, Polish, and Norwegian.

You fucking people make me sick Chat:http://tlk.io/newgrounds "The big bang theory is top notch anime"-Amaranthus.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:44 AM Reply

At 9/20/12 09:13 PM, TheMaster wrote: One has Spaceballs, The Princess Bride and Ghost In The Shell and the other has Godzilla, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Same goes for me. I haven't seen anything from one either and seen all from two.

Personally I would pick Ghost in the Shell and 2001: A Space Odyssey. I think the latter is going to be an awesome cinema experience.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:53 PM Reply

I watched the Expendables 2 yesterday with a friend of mine. Easily one of the dumbest and (Unintentionally) funniest movies of this year. The fact that the actors made three (Yeah, that's right THREE) silly "I'll be back jokes" based around Arnold Schwarzenegger secured this movie's place in the campy movies hall of fame. It wasn't a bad popcorn, turn-off-your-brain action film, though.

Cinema Club

Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:02 PM Reply

I actually loved Lawless, even though it maybe reached a tad too hard and Agent Rakes was a bit cartoony. But the film was shot undoubtedly well, and the acting was all phenomenal. That was enough to carry the film.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
powerdude964
powerdude964
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 06:27 PM Reply

I'll be 100% honest, I love the Resident Evil films (especially the latest two). Yes, they're silly and stupid, and yes, almost everyone else hates them. But something about the movies just seem really awesome. A lot of the complaints come from the fact that it doesn't follow the game's story, but I personally think that the story that they did here was still pretty good. Not to mention that, for me, the silliness/stupidity of these films add to the charm. I am indeed well aware of their flaws, but for me, none of the flaws are big enough to stop from enjoying them. That's my opinion. If you think otherwise, that's okay with me so long as you don't start an argument about it.

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 10:33 PM Reply

At 9/24/12 06:27 PM, powerdude964 wrote: I'll be 100% honest, I love the Resident Evil films (especially the latest two). Yes, they're silly and stupid, and yes, almost everyone else hates them. But something about the movies just seem really awesome. A lot of the complaints come from the fact that it doesn't follow the game's story, but I personally think that the story that they did here was still pretty good. Not to mention that, for me, the silliness/stupidity of these films add to the charm. I am indeed well aware of their flaws, but for me, none of the flaws are big enough to stop from enjoying them. That's my opinion. If you think otherwise, that's okay with me so long as you don't start an argument about it.

I remember being pretty into the franchise some years ago. I wasn't big on the games so I didn't mind them changing the story and characters. Now I'm struggling to overcome my film-snob tendencies, and totally against stuff like Resident Evil. I'm still working through my judgemental phase. I can see the appeal, though.

If you into goofy-style B-movies, I'd recommend Phantasm. It's pretty pschotronic, and has some awesomely off the wall ideas (murderous extra-dimensional dwarves, flying spheres of death, the central characters' means of escape is an ice-cream truck) that might be your style.