00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MisterBig67425 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,451 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-29 17:11:20

Wait, is that the Green Goblin? He's in this movie?!

Is that tank thing supposed to be Rhino?

Cinema Club

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-02 10:44:03

Whf

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-02 10:46:36

At 12/2/13 10:44 AM, Jackho wrote: Whf

Aight let's try that again

So what's everyone's choices for the best film of 2013?

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-02 16:30:08

Wow...

And people say the Green Goblin looked shitty in the Raimi movie?

Also, I guess Harry is the goblin, not Norman.

Cinema Club

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-02 16:33:08

At 12/2/13 10:46 AM, Jackho wrote: So what's everyone's choices for the best film of 2013?

Upstream Color.

I've ranked everything I've seen here:
http://letterboxd.com/absurdditties/list/2013/

Cinema Club

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-02 18:22:08

At 12/2/13 10:46 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 12/2/13 10:44 AM, Jackho wrote: Whf
Aight let's try that again

So what's everyone's choices for the best film of 2013?

I've mostly only seen the massively popular movies from 2013 so far but

1. The World's End
2. This is the End
3.The Wolverine
4. Iron Man 3
5. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
6. Monsters University
7. Kick-Ass 2
8. Man of Steel
9. Pacific Rim (I honestly though this movie was incredibly overrated)
10. TPB AFK
11. Sound City

That's every 2013 movie I've seen so far.

At 12/2/13 04:30 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Wow...

And people say the Green Goblin looked shitty in the Raimi movie?

Also, I guess Harry is the goblin, not Norman.

That isn't a very good picture of it, it might look better. The Spider-man suit in the new movie is perfect, so I think the Green Goblin costume will probably be good as well.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-02 18:29:22

I have yet to see any super artsy films that tend to be highly rated. I haven't been in the mood to watch anything like that recently... I think it's due to unemployment. Also, I need to rewatch Captain Phillips and Iron Man 3. I'm not sure I would rate them as highly after a second viewing.

Cinema Club

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-02 18:38:15

I watched E.T. The Extraterrestrial tonight. First time I've actually seen it in full.

Great film.

At 12/2/13 04:33 PM, TheMaster wrote: Upstream Color.

I've ranked everything I've seen here:
http://letterboxd.com/absurdditties/list/2013/

I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Stoker.

My current top 10 for 2013 draft is:

01) Stoker
02) Gravity
03) The Place Beyond the Pines
04) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
05) Le Passé (A.K.A. The Past)
06) Star Trek: Into Darkness
07) Prisoners
08) Mud
09) Short Term 12
10) The World's End

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-02 18:52:28

At 12/2/13 06:38 PM, Auz wrote: I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Stoker.

I only saw it today, actually, but it really impressed me. It's offbeat and weird, and subverted my expectations more than a few times. My only real issue with it was the uncle character. I'm not sure if it was the performance or just how it was written, but it came off as very cliche, particularly in the second half, in a film that was anything but.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-03 10:47:36

Went out to see Oldboy today as well.

Honestly, I feel like the film gets more hate than it deserves. It's at a 4.6 score on IMDB right now, while it's really not all that bad as far as I could see.

In fact, the first 60 minutes or so I thought the film was able to keep up with the original pretty well. It doesn't exactly have the same style, but for the most part it was all very recognisable and well remade. It was only at the climax where I felt like the film took a nosedive. They made some slight alterations to the original script and I wasn't too happy with them. The ending just didn't have the same dramatic impact the original had and Sharlto Copley was really overacting in my opinion.

Anyway, it's not great, and I would choose the original over Spike Lee's version any day, but it definitely isn't as bad as some people make it out to be in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-03 12:04:16

I watched Justice League: the Flashpoint Paradox. Fucking awesome. I also watched Savages because a friend insisted we watch it. Sucked.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-03 12:31:14

I've ranked what I've seen in 2013 here. I still need to see This is the End, Stoker, Kings of Summer, Upstream Color and probably a shitload more before I can call this list final.

Cinema Club

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-03 19:30:56

At 12/2/13 06:52 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 12/2/13 06:38 PM, Auz wrote: I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Stoker.
I only saw it today, actually, but it really impressed me. It's offbeat and weird, and subverted my expectations more than a few times. My only real issue with it was the uncle character. I'm not sure if it was the performance or just how it was written, but it came off as very cliche, particularly in the second half, in a film that was anything but.

I think it was more in the performance then, but I don't remember the character being all that cliché.

At 12/3/13 12:04 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I also watched Savages because a friend insisted we watch it. Sucked.

I totally agree. That film was meh.

At 12/3/13 12:31 PM, Jackho wrote: I've ranked what I've seen in 2013 here. I still need to see This is the End, Stoker, Kings of Summer, Upstream Color and probably a shitload more before I can call this list final.

They made another Evangelion film? I should check that out.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-03 20:02:52

At 12/3/13 07:30 PM, Auz wrote: They made another Evangelion film? I should check that out.

Wont spoil anything, but it's definitely the weakest of the three. Most fans outright hated it when it came out.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-05 08:56:43

It has been a while since I've gone to the theater... 3 weeks I think. I do want to see Catching Fire, but my roommate doesn't and that's an odd one to go to alone. I just moved to this city so I don't know anyone here to go with. I also wouldn't mind seeing Oldboy and Frozen, but I'm not sure they warrant special trips to the theater. Anyway, Dallas Buyers Club and Out of the Furnace both open tomorrow, so I'll be trying to catch those by Sunday at the latest; probably tomorrow.

I am extremely excited for the films releasing this month. It's somewhat unfortunate that I'm going home for the holidays soon, because I'd like to see these as soon as possible, but you know, I kind of can't wait to get back home too. Desolation of Smaug, American Hustle, Saving Mr. Banks, The Sectret Life of Walter Mitty, THE WOLF OF WALL STREET, Lone Survivor, and Her. How in the hell I'm I supposed to afford to see all these! I'll likely get a Cineplex gift card for Christmas so that should help. I'm not even going to know what to see when, I just want to see all of them at once!

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-05 22:07:59

go see the act of killing right now

like what the shit

Cinema Club

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-06 15:47:25

Saw the trailer for The Grand Budapest Hotel before Nebraska today.

It was sort of on my radar before, but now I'm hyped as fuck for it. Looks incredible.

Also had the trailer for Inside Llewyn Davis, a film that I'd been similarly indifferent towards, that also looks pretty great.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-06 16:26:50

I finally saw Hot Fuzz yesterday along with The World's End. They were both pretty good but I feel I should rank the Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy now.

1. The World's End - I just absolutely loved this movie.
2. Shaun of the Dead - Very easy to just put on and watch again.
3. Hot Fuzz - Good movie but I can't see my self watching it more than twice.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-06 16:36:17

At 12/6/13 04:26 PM, Atlas wrote: 3. Hot Fuzz - Good movie but I can't see my self watching it more than twice.

Don't write it off yet, it definitely grew on my a lot with repeated viewings. It might actually be my favourite of the three now.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-07 16:05:10

At 12/6/13 04:36 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 12/6/13 04:26 PM, Atlas wrote: 3. Hot Fuzz - Good movie but I can't see my self watching it more than twice.
Don't write it off yet, it definitely grew on my a lot with repeated viewings. It might actually be my favourite of the three now.

I agree.

I don't think I've seen a movie since that had a better payoff than Hot Fuzz.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-08 00:05:30

At 12/7/13 04:05 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 12/6/13 04:36 PM, TheMaster wrote:

I won't, I'll wait a good bit then watch all three and compare them to each other.

I agree.

I don't think I've seen a movie since that had a better payoff than Hot Fuzz.

Hot Fuzz did have a good payoff, I must agree.

I also got the chance to finally watch Office Space. Pretty good movie and I would say the acting is pretty good and the short length makes the film easy to watch multiple times.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-08 04:02:30

Hot Fuzz is probably the funniest of the three but it's also the slightest...

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-08 13:37:06

At 12/8/13 04:02 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Hot Fuzz is probably the funniest of the three but it's also the slightest...

The slightest? What do you mean?

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-08 14:14:15

So the next Terminator movie may be called "Terminator: Genesis."

Come on, you couldn't get any more generic than that, Hollywood?

Why not Terminator: Resurrection?

Or Terminator: Reckoning?

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-08 17:04:18

At 12/8/13 02:14 PM, Darthdenim wrote: So the next Terminator movie may be called "Terminator: Genesis."

Come on, you couldn't get any more generic than that, Hollywood?

Why not Terminator: Resurrection?

Or Terminator: Reckoning?

That does sound pretty bland. I think Terminator: Resurrection sounds good like you said but who knows? Maybe Genesis is plot relevant or something.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-08 17:25:00

At 12/3/13 10:47 AM, Auz wrote: Anyway, it's not great, and I would choose the original over Spike Lee's version any day, but it definitely isn't as bad as some people make it out to be in my opinion.

I think that this is the whole problem; The remake was just not needed. And both your post and EclecticEnnui's post tend to prove it. The movie would either be a copy of the original, and thus be completely useless, or it would be way different and feel like a bad remake that doesn't catch the essence of the original. There was a slight possibility for it to be both honest and true to the original while exploring different avenues, and if it was like that, then maybe it would have been good. But I think that a lot of people just see it as a useless remake...

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-10 16:37:27

I had some time on my hands on Sunday so I watched three Kevin Smith movies. I started off with Clerks which at first I didn't like but as it went on I came to love the dialogue and almost everything about this movie. I then watched Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back which was just great all around. I finished off with Clerks II which was an amazing sequel. I skipped Chasing Amy and Dogma and have already seen Mallrats, should I watch the former two I listed?

Also Clerks III is Kevin's last movie.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-10 17:29:22

At 12/10/13 04:37 PM, Atlas wrote: I skipped Chasing Amy and Dogma and have already seen Mallrats, should I watch the former two I listed?

I haven't seen Dogma in a long time, but Chasing Amy is good.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-10 17:50:26

At 12/10/13 04:37 PM, Atlas wrote:
Also Clerks III is Kevin's last movie.

Everything has been his last movie since around 2010. Still waiting on Hit Somebody.

Also:
Mallrats > Clerks > Chasing Amy > Dogma > Clerks II > Jay and Bob

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-12-10 17:51:44

At 12/10/13 05:50 PM, TheMaster wrote: Also:
Mallrats > Clerks > Chasing Amy > Dogma > Clerks II > Jay and Bob

Switch Mallrats and Clerks and you're golden.