New Topic Respond to this Topic
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-04 09:34:49 Reply

I finally got myself to watch The Godfather part II. It's been sitting on my shelve untouched for years now.

To be honest, I liked the first one better, but this is still a very good film in my opinion. I liked how they showed Vito Corleone's backstory and how he rose to power. The acting in this film is also top-notch. I especially liked Al Pacino as Michael Corleone. Every time he got on screen he managed to create a lot of tension without even saying much. In my opinion it's one of his best roles.

The only thing with this film is that it's a very long sit. Sometimes I felt that it got a little slow and I had trouble paying attention. But it never got too boring or anything.

Anyway, good film overall.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-04 16:08:14 Reply

I've been watching Halloween-appropriate movies each night since the first. So far, I've watched the Halloween remake, which was pretty good. I first saw Halloween 1 and 2 when I was a child. I also watched Land of the Dead and Severance, which were both entertaining.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-07 23:57:27 Reply

At 10/4/12 04:08 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I've been watching Halloween-appropriate movies each night since the first.

I saw the horror mockumentary The Devil Inside. I already knew about its bad rep, especially the ending, but I wanted to see it anyway. It had to do with the Cinema Snob video review and a YouTube video, which got removed, of the ending with a theater audience's disappointed reaction. I actually have to say I like the film. It's very flawed, but it's not boring. The acting is generally decent, though it's sometimes amusing when I doubt it's suppose to be. There's only one scare that got me, which is a dog barking, but otherwise, there are scenes that are still kind of tense, like the exorcism of the protagonist's mother. The film at least does a good job with horror atmosphere.

The story's a bit hard to follow, although I was interested enough and it's fairly unpredictable. One thing I don't buy is how easy it is to film without people bothering the cameraman or declining to be filmed. Apparently, the documentary has all kinds of filming access. I'm in a college broadcasting and film program and I don't think access is that easy in real life. Nonetheless, I went with it. As for the ending, yeah, it's way too abrupt, which makes it funny. Same goes for the URL title card and the fact that the end credits are unusually slow. Actually, the beginning title card of how the Vatican doesn't support the film is also funny. I guess The Devil Inside is a guilty pleasure. Aside from the demonically possessed characters, I don't know how realistic the film is. As I said, I just went with it. That URL, however, doesn't interest me in visiting it.

LazyDelusionalNerd
LazyDelusionalNerd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-08 03:30:53 Reply

What did everyone think of Looper? I loved it. Maybe a tad bit over hyped on the commercials. There isn't THAT much Action but the Action that there is, is fantastic [Including one scene of Classic Bruce Willis]. JGL is amazing in this movie, he does Bruce Willis SPOT ON, even if he didn't have the make up he could pull off Bruce just by speaking and his mannerisms. I'm a fan of Rian Johnson. I loved Brick and Brothers Bloom but this movie is much more different, The story is very sci fi but the sci fi isn't what defines the story, what makes the story is the character of Joe. And for those who havent seen it, dont worry because the trailers dont give away ANYTHING important.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-11 12:00:58 Reply

I went to check out Savages today because I had nothing better to do.

All in all it's a mediocre film in my opinion. The plot was quite run-of-the-mill with stereotypical bad guys (mean Mexican drug dealers...) and it contains the worst plot twist I've seen in a film this year. First they show a somewhat surprising, okay ending but then all of a sudden they do a 180 and end the film exactly in the lame way you expect it to end.

What irked me the most though is the main characters. Basically it's two guys and one girl who are in a three-way relationship, but what it comes down to is that they both fuck the girl and are okay with it.

One guy is an Iraq war veteran who thinks violence can solve anything. For a main character he's very flat. The other guy is a peace-loving hippy dude who invests the money he made with drugs in green energy projects and stuff like that. The hippy was actually the most likeable character in my opinion, until he changes for the worst in the end.

The girl/damsel in distress is this spoiled, beach babe who never tried to achieve anything in life (quit college because she didn't care) and basically gets everything thrown into her lap. The only reason the guys seemed to like her is because she fucks them a lot. I couldn't really see any other good reasons at least. I don't get why the writers didn't just make her this girl who graduated college, is very nice and for instance very involved in the "saving the world" businesses the hippy dude is busy with. It would've barely changed anything in the plot, but it would've made her look a lot more sympathetic to me and much more a girl who's worth dying for.

Anyway, the film revolved a lot around these three characters and if you make them so unlikeable it simply becomes hard to enjoy it. Next to the run-of-the-mill plot this broke the film up in my opinion.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-11 15:50:04 Reply

At 10/8/12 03:30 AM, LazyDelusionalNerd wrote: Looper

I keep hearing good things about this. I'll have to check it out. Apparently Argo is really good, too.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-11 21:59:50 Reply

my first ten nights of my 31 nights of Halloween. Each movie has been, and will be, a movie that I haven't seen before.

Rob Zombie's Halloween (good)
Land of the Dead (unlike most people, I liked it)
Severance (good, often humorous)
Return of the Living Dead (good, pretty amusing)
AAH! ZOMBIES!! (pretty funny)
Doghouse (okay, had some funny moments)
30 Days of Night (freaking badass)
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 (meh)
Piranha (very amusing)
Near Dark (good)

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-11 22:26:00 Reply

At 10/8/12 03:30 AM, LazyDelusionalNerd wrote: What did everyone think of Looper?

Not seen it yet, but I'd like to. In fact, there's quite a few new films I'm interested in seeing, such as:

The Master
Sinister
Antiviral
, by David Cronenberg's son, Brandon Cronenberg
Samsara
The Imposter

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-12 03:09:49 Reply

I was with a friiend of mine at the theater and we saw a poster for the master. For a second, we were like "Doctor Who?...nah."

I watched two movies tonight for my 31 nights of Halloween. The movies were Dying Breed and May, which were both creepy and messed up.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-12 11:39:09 Reply

At 10/8/12 03:30 AM, LazyDelusionalNerd wrote: What did everyone think of Looper?

I haven't seen it yet, but I placed it on my watchlist. I saw a trailer for it yesterday and it looked interesting to me.

I'm glad that from next week onwards they're finally going to show some decent films again at my local theatre. End of Watch, Killing Them Softly and Beasts of the Southern Wild will be out next week and next month Skyfall, Looper, Lawless, The Master and a few others.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-13 00:45:50 Reply

At 10/12/12 11:39 AM, Auz wrote: Beasts of the Southern Wild

It's kinda odd and surreal, not to mention highly entertaining.

This Les Miserables poster is awesome because of the Judge Dredd tagline combined with Russell Crowe, who plays a policeman.

Cinema Club

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-13 03:02:55 Reply

I watched Cabin in the Woods tonight, which was quite good.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-14 01:57:54 Reply

At 10/11/12 10:26 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
Not seen it yet, but I'd like to.

I saw it recently and I really liked it. It's engaging, unique, well-acted, unpredictable, and heartfelt. The visuals are also particularly interesting. It is kind of hard to follow and I don't know if there are any plot holes, but I just went with the story. Unfortunately, in my auditorium there were these young guys right behind me who wouldn't shut up. They kept talking and whatnot. As much as it pissed me off, I didn't do anything about it. Don't quite know why.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-15 09:03:22 Reply

I saw Seven Psychopaths with some friends last night. It was a really good movie and everything that happens is completely unexpected. It seems like Pulp Fiction mixed with some sort of odd anti-movie. The acting was all top notch.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-15 18:40:47 Reply

At 10/15/12 09:03 AM, Cootie wrote: I saw Seven Psychopaths with some friends last night. It was a really good movie and everything that happens is completely unexpected. It seems like Pulp Fiction mixed with some sort of odd anti-movie. The acting was all top notch.

I watched it with my stepbrother over the weekend and thought it was great. I loved how it managed to include all of the cool things that I like: Guns, explosions, boobs, dogs, dumb jokes, poetic elements, and Christopher Walken.

Easily one of my top ten movies of 2012.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-16 22:17:12 Reply

I watched the Cottage, the Deaths of Ian Stone, in the Mouth of Madness, and Heartless. They were all quite good. I'd recommend all of these movies for anyone looking for some "Halloweeny" stuff to watch.

At 10/15/12 05:36 AM, RightWingGamer wrote: So, I FINALLY saw TDKR tonight, and I'd say it was pretty good. It obviously pales in comparison to Dark Knight, but it was still a strong movie on its own merits.

absolutely agreed. I hated the ending, though.

At 10/15/12 09:03 AM, Cootie wrote: I saw Seven Psychopaths with some friends last night. It was a really good movie and everything that happens is completely unexpected. It seems like Pulp Fiction mixed with some sort of odd anti-movie. The acting was all top notch.

It looks decent to me, but it seems kind of like a ripoff of Screwed.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-17 22:07:11 Reply

So, I joined my college's film society, where they do screenings of mostly international movies. I was probably the youngest person there by at least twenty years, which was pretty intimidating, but I'll probably get used to that and at least it's giving me the chance to watch something I usually wouldn't get the chance to see.

The movie they showed was 36, a French crime-thriller. It was pretty good. Production value and cinematography was great, though some plot elements felt kind of familiar. By the end, it had taken me completely by surprise though, which is always a good sign. I think something unusual I noticed was it had a four-act structure. I don't know if that's typical of French cinema, but it had an epilogue that stretched on far longer than I expected. I think that made it better, to be honest. Felt like a much more satisfying conclusion than I was expecting.

Does anyone else have any experience with film-clubs and stuff? Bar this one, of course.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-17 22:33:52 Reply

watched Saw 4 last night (already seen 1-3).

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-18 10:45:09 Reply

I went to check out Killing Them Softly today.

Good film overall. I think anyone who's a fan of Tarantino(-ish) films will enjoy it. The film is full with funny/witty dialogues and stylish, extreme violence (without overdoing it). I liked how they subtly added an idea of the economical crisis hitting the crime world in the US and Brad Pitt as a bad-ass hitman is awesome.

My only minor complaint is that the film ended a bit suddenly. It's only 90 minutes long or something, but I felt that they could've easily turned this into a two hour film without making it boring.

Anyway, I recommend this film.

At 10/13/12 12:45 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 10/12/12 11:39 AM, Auz wrote: Beasts of the Southern Wild
It's kinda odd and surreal, not to mention highly entertaining.

Ah fuck, they only screen it at one particular cinema in my country and it's not any of the ones I always go to. Guess I'll have to give this one a miss.

It'll be out here early December. I'll go check it out.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-18 12:15:20 Reply

At 10/18/12 10:45 AM, Auz wrote:
It'll be out here early December. I'll go check it out.

Since you said that you like Tarantino you will surely like this movie. It is the closest film to Pulp Fiction in style I have seen, and that means that it is great. Christopher Walken is in it, an he does some good subtle self-parody.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-18 21:55:24 Reply

Last night's Halloween movie was I Sell the Dead, which was good.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-19 19:55:11 Reply

I had a mini-film night with some friends. We watched Madagascar 3: Escape To Africa and Superbad.

Madagascar 3 - Never been such a big fan of this series and I don't think this was an impressive sequel. The circus scene was pretty entertaining and nicely animated, but I think the film had too many of those emotional moments which really slowed everything down. I get that they're trying to add a bit of depth, but to be honest I would've probably liked it better if it was just 90 minutes of penguin jokes and other gags.

Superbad - I've seen the ending of this film like five times but for some reason I had never seen it in full. Now I finally have. The film has quite a number of funny moments and I think it's pretty good for a comedy overall. I do, however, think that it's best enjoyed during a film night with friends. Had I seen this by myself I probably wouldn't have cared much for it. Also, all that sex talk made me feel a bit too old for this film.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-19 20:35:11 Reply

I watched Tormented, the Woods, and the Children.

meh...

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-21 19:10:51 Reply

Rewatched Moonrise Kingdom on DVD tonight. It still holds up, maybe moreso actually. In the cinema, I was plagued by a sense of dread that it would all end tragically. That's probably a testament to how good it was; not many movies can have that effect on me, so I must've been really invested in the characters. Still, knowing where it was going to go gave me the chance to appreciate the artistry of it all, and catch a lot of the humour I missed the first time around. Totally worth the second viewing.

On another note, I also watched Gremlins 2 for the first time in a long while. I forgot how stupidly insane it really was. Really one of the most absurdly awesome things I've seen, even if it's obviously inferior and unnecessary in regards to the original.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-22 01:55:19 Reply

At 10/11/12 10:26 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Samsara

I saw it. Good God, I loved it. A new favourite of mine. This is my review.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-22 03:56:01 Reply

At 10/22/12 01:55 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:

It's probably my film of the year so far. The meat processing stuff is phenomenal.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-22 12:40:43 Reply

At 10/22/12 01:55 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:

It sounds like the film is very similar to Koyaanisqatsi. If so, I can imagine it makes for an awesome cinema experience. Unfortunately, it won't be released here any time soon and perhaps it never will be.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-22 17:30:44 Reply

I went to check out End of Watch tonight.

It's a pretty interesting film about the day-to-day ordeals of two cops in one of the roughest neighbourhoods in... Los Angelos I think it was. It tries to give a realistic image of what goes on in those neighbourhoods and it also shows the friendship between cops and everything.

All in all I think it's a good film, but I do have one complaint though: This is another one of those films that uses handy cam footage, which I think was unnecessary and it just didn't work. It's nice that they try to apply it in something other than a horror flick, but as with a lot of "real footage" films this gimmick turns out to be pretty distracting. In some of the more tense scenes I could barely get a good view of what was going on which is annoying.

Other than that I think it was good though.

BBS Signature
Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-26 19:54:47 Reply

Can't remember did I already join this group? I can never keep up with the clubs on here :P

I have a penis

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2012-10-27 12:21:18 Reply

Saw Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Maybe the best film I've seen this year. The little girl is phenomenally good, the setting and visuals are gorgeous and are only enhanced by shooting on Super 16, and I LOVED the soundtrack.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature