00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Em0-Snail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

957,951 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-12 21:14:45

At 9/12/14 09:12 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 9/12/14 08:30 AM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 9/12/14 08:09 AM, lovingthedark wrote: I mean, I like drawing hands but I think I'm the only one.
Ummmm, pretty sure this isn't hand viewer.....
Ummmm, pretty sure those are the lowest hanging balls of all time.....

Like since when did your balls hang from your foreskin.....

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-13 01:27:53

At 9/12/14 02:16 PM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 9/12/14 08:30 AM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 9/12/14 08:09 AM, lovingthedark wrote: I mean, I like drawing hands but I think I'm the only one.
Ummmm, pretty sure this isn't hand viewer.....
It is, just click the other tabs on the right hand side. There's feet too. Note the title.

Yeah note the title... IN FUCKING JAPANESE....

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-13 01:54:47

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!

science and photoshop and wasting time

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-13 05:52:38

At 9/13/14 01:54 AM, ornery wrote: WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!
science and photoshop and wasting time

Finally, a posing program which fits my taste <3

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-13 05:56:26

At 9/13/14 01:54 AM, ornery wrote: WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!

Thanks for finally doing a drawing of me, orn

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-13 06:03:03

At 9/13/14 01:27 AM, ornery wrote:
Yeah note the title... IN FUCKING JAPANESE....

Upper left, Hands for Drawing. Jeeez...

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-16 11:11:43

Can you tell the difference between a photo and a pencil drawing?
Take the quiz.

I got 7 out of 12.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-16 11:23:26

At 9/16/14 11:11 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Can you tell the difference between a photo and a pencil drawing?
Take the quiz.
I got 7 out of 12.

I've got 10 out of 12 ... but I had to zoom my internet browser window in, since some of these images aren't meant to be viewed in a 5 inch wide box.

I gave the art equivalent of a Voigt-Kampff test and retired two innocent pencil drawings :'(

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-16 19:40:41

At 9/16/14 11:11 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Can you tell the difference between a photo and a pencil drawing?
Take the quiz.

I got 7 out of 12.

6/12

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-17 03:22:17

Man that was hard. I got 9/12 though.
Also a spend a lot of time looking at 1920's - 1950's photos so I was able to guess most of them right. :3

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-18 14:23:13

You can check animation and lyric videos i have made for many unique bands here:
https://vimeo.com/movix/videos

Also,you can hear songs from my solo project.i have many influnces from chrono trigger,zelda and final fantasy.
https://soundcloud.com/theoblivionscepter

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-19 03:46:35

Anyone looking to practice their pen tool skills should check out this website. It's a basic tutorial that takes you through different techniques using the pen tool to achieve the shapes you want. It's pretty cool I think for people who wanna practice their chops.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-19 20:30:15

At 9/19/14 07:19 PM, Cordyceps wrote: Anybody have a good resource for textures? I'm doing a pretty extensive 3d modelling project and I don't have a good camera to make my own anymore.

My life would be abyss if it were not for http://www.cgtextures.com/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-25 09:55:51 (edited 2014-09-25 09:59:15)

sup?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-25 11:10:31

At 9/25/14 09:55 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: And how do you know what was added/changed in the edit unless they put 'edit' somewhere?

You can press the edit notification!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-25 11:51:08 (edited 2014-09-25 11:51:31)

At 9/25/14 11:10 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 9/25/14 09:55 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: And how do you know what was added/changed in the edit unless they put 'edit' somewhere?
You can press the edit notification!

where's that?

/ ? same diff

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-25 11:52:31

At 9/25/14 11:51 AM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 9/25/14 11:10 AM, Havegum wrote: You can press the edit notification!
where's that?

Click the "editted 2 hours ago" text.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-25 11:53:31

At 9/25/14 11:52 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 9/25/14 11:51 AM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 9/25/14 11:10 AM, Havegum wrote: You can press the edit notification!
where's that?
Click the "editted 2 hours ago" text.

Yeah, just found it. That's handy.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-09-25 16:12:09

At 9/25/14 11:53 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: Yeah, just found it. That's handy.

So now I can just sit and read your edited post history, woop woop

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-13 09:25:23

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving you filthy animals :3

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-13 11:15:07

Hey, umm, Imma leave my art here as I'd like to have the ability to have it viewed in the main art portal. Given the quirky rules, I can't directly ask for this ability, but in which case I have no idea how I will receive said ability, due to my lack of community involvement as I've recently returned to NG after not using it for aeons. So here, a contrived pseudo-request but not really; More just exposure and self-hype without all the pretending to be your friend and with a sense of self awareness. I LOVE GLITCHES/////////_

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-14 07:26:24 (edited 2014-10-14 07:34:13)

Woah.. this is weird o.O

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-14 07:59:29

At 10/14/14 07:26 AM, CloudEater wrote: Woah.. this is weird o.O

And if you click the (edited xx time ago), you can see what the original message is before the edit. :3

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-15 01:23:34

At 10/13/14 11:15 AM, Reepianims wrote: please scout me

Scouting Guide.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-15 05:55:42

At 10/13/14 11:15 AM, Reepianims wrote: Hey, umm, Imma leave my art here as I'd like to have the ability to have it viewed in the main art portal. Given the quirky rules, I can't directly ask for this ability,

It's really clear that you're directly asking to be scouted.

I LOVE GLITCHES/////////_

Just to warn you that you should probably consider taking them down, since they're photographs with a quasi-filter applied to it. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-15 08:39:50

At 10/15/14 05:55 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: It's really clear that you're directly asking to be scouted.

Why have you just re-clarified then? If you want to say something, please don't be so oblique. I just have no clue as to how I am supposed to be scouted without already being an active member of this community. I am attempting to become part of this community, and yes, I'm doing that by shameless self-bumping. Considering there are others doing similarly I cannot help but feel that your issue is in exactly how I have shamelessly self-bumped. Was it my choice of words? Was it my inclusion of an image? Was it that you deem the image not respectable?

I felt I was clear in my self-awareness so I feel the shameless portion of the self-bump was obvious. Was it not? Was that your issue? I'm just struggling to see the difference between my post and someone else posting an image with clear intentions of receiving positive feedback and potentially a scouted status if one hasn't received it yet. I'm fairly certain many must do that whilst forging faux friendships and essentially manipulating others by hiding their true intentions. I'm being straight up. Maybe what I did isn't not okay here, but I'm struggling to interpret the forum rules at this time, as they aren't as explicit as I would desire. If I messed up; I'm sorry guys - I understand this is a very carefully governed community.

Just to warn you that you should probably consider taking them down, since they're photographs with a quasi-filter applied to it. :(

You raise an interesting point. Firstly, are you suggesting I remove my artwork from NG entirely, or suggesting I delete the forum post? As far as I'm aware the latter isn't possible, that said, I didn't look into it too long. Secondly I'm sure there may be those who will challenge the validity of my work, or at the very least, whether it has a place on NG; However, as this is my chosen art form at present, I have great interest in being challenged, as it will become clear through the conversations that will follow whether my work is welcome here or not.

If a moderator wishes to discuss with me the finer details of whether my art is valid as far as NG is concerned, I will be more than happy to do so. I have many an .XCF file to prove the amount of labor that goes into my work, making the sauce material irrelevant I feel, certainly given the non-profit nature of the image usage.

Also, whilst this message is somewhat antagonistic (what isn't in some form right?), I felt it was nonetheless appropriate, as I am attempting to better understand the rules of this forum, something I feel makes this conversation a potential future resource for those with similar uncertainties.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-15 08:46:58

Damn, I only just realized that you're a mod Turkey. Sorry about that. My bad.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-15 09:46:05 (edited 2014-10-15 09:46:50)

At 10/15/14 08:39 AM, Reepianims wrote: [wall of text]

The "don't ask to be scouted" rule I believe is set there in order to discourage scout requests to flood the forums, artists news posts and private messages. It's not exact science, and generally treated with a slap on the wrist.

According to the terms of use of the art portal:
1. Photography is not allowed in either public or private galleries. We prefer to keep the spotlight on hand-made works. Photographs of sculptures, paintings or other hand-made items are acceptable.

2. You must be the owner and creator of the work you are submitting.
This could be interpreted both ways. In one way, it is it's a hand-made item and you are the creator and owner.
Another way to interpret it is the base plate is an photography, of which you are not the owner or creator.

I don't know how much control you have over the glitches effect over the image. If it's completely random I'd think glitching is more about exploring the predetermined expressions of someone elses work. I'll assume this isn't the case and so the only way I can judge artistic value (and how suited it is for the portal) is through use of composition. For instance, comparing fractalcombine_ with TheHeartOfTheNet. I'd say fractalcombine_ has much more visual appeal and artistic expression than the latter, which I consider to be devoid of any expression at all.

If you want to you are welcome to create your own art thread as the art forum doesn't have a set rule against photographs. It would give you some promotion for potential scouters, but more importantly a place to receive feedback to your work.

I would still urge you to pick up a camera and take your own pictures, or at the very least use images with licenses that allows for derivative works and provide credit to the creator. Even if it's just a small area of the image, you're still borrowing the expression from work that isn't yours.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-15 12:42:05

At 10/15/14 08:46 AM, Reepianims wrote: Damn, I only just realized that you're a mod Turkey. Sorry about that. My bad.

I'm more annoyed that you would confront another user in a different manner than a moderator.

Furthermore, what I told you was a lot more oblique than anything you have written. If it appears antagonistic, it's only because it is at odds to what you want.
- You are aware that asking to be scouted is not allowed, yet you're attempting to do it in an indirect way, and
- Filtered photos/images you find off the internet aren't allowed in the art portal. It has nothing to do with your chosen art form / illuminati scouting / non-profits.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2014-10-16 16:56:13

At 10/15/14 12:42 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

:Furthermore, what I told you was a lot more oblique than anything you have written.

Yes. That was my criticism. I asked you not to be oblique. Why would anyone desire communication that was less direct? If you were warning me for the scouting-grab then you should have actually warned me, not just re-iterated the obvious. What if I had a functional impairment that meant I had issues understanding indirect communication? I suppose that doesn't matter does it.

At 10/15/14 12:42 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I'm more annoyed that you would confront another user in a different manner than a moderator.

This was more a reference to the fact that I had written a paragraph directly to moderators. That seems a little silly given that you are one, so I thought I would make reference to the fact that I was aware of that blunder. That said, you don't seem at all friendly; Had I noticed you had any modicum of authority I would have avoided confronting you, as nothing about our interactions thus far has suggested that I could trust you would use said authority fairly.

At 10/15/14 12:42 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: If it appears antagonistic, it's only because it is at odds to what you want.

I was stating that my own message was antagonistic towards yourself. I would assume it was indeed so, as you seem to have been emotionally compromised to the extent of not being able to understand my messages.

Personally I would suggest you try to remember that the world isn't as awful as it may seem. You seem to have very little interest in giving people any benefit of the doubt, or attempting to create any harmony or mutual respect. I was very prepared to make some acquaintances, talk about some art, and have a good time, but that has been irrevocably damaged by your consistently unnecessarily negative input. Well done. Way to manage an online community. Don't give up your day job.