00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

XToriToriX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

960,287 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-09 06:01:06

I finally bought a new tablet today, haven't had one in almost two years, which made it hard to do one form of art for a whiles.

I bought a Bamboo Splash because I've been borrowing various artist friend's tablets and I find I dislike having huge active areas, I hate multi touch and I don't feel a great difference in various models and the Splash is closest to my original model which was the Bamboo Fun circa 2006.

I'm installing Art Rage since it came with it and I'ma see how intuitive that program might be.

Just excited is all =]

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 11:37:20

I actually have something generally constructive to link to! Hooray!!

If you are interested in making comics or something, here are some tips for writing dialogue. Although I do disagree on the overly artifical writing bit (which I like a lot), it's a cool read none the less.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 13:37:52

At 11/10/12 11:37 AM, test-object wrote: I actually have something generally constructive to link to! Hooray!!

If you are interested in making comics or something, here are some tips for writing dialogue. Although I do disagree on the overly artifical writing bit (which I like a lot), it's a cool read none the less.

Thanks, that was actually really helpful.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-15 18:21:30

Low and behold: I went ahead and tried using reference images to help me with anatomy, feels like cheating,

bump this thread up with arbitrary drabble? check,

obscure song that may be familiar to some? check.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-17 05:10:00

So today i came across something that I find quite handy. A simple bitmap to vector tool.There are a lot of things similar out there but aside from AI this is the first lightweight/easy to use one I found that does a good job.

The program is called Vector Magic and as much as that sounds as a cheap rip off of an art program, it functions quite nice.

I got it panicking over a assignment for my illustrator class, and afterwards I decided to try it out on a few of my own images. The results surprised me. I like MS Paint, A LOT as you all know. But no one likes low quality choppy pictures the way I do, they want high quality printable web and print safe images. I think this program is a bit of a godsend to people like me.

What do you guys think about making the vector conversion part of my process?

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-17 06:40:53

It's up to you, it looks good to me either way. That is a great piece of software though, i'm trying it out now, the only complaint i have is if i want to use the max settings so it smooths out the right things and it leaves the other things alone it takes more time than illustrator to do so. Mind you illustrator takes time to load too where as this doesnt, but i'm quite happy someone's made software like this. Thanks for sharing

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-17 07:06:23

I went ahead and did it to this picture just to see if it would pick up all the lines and holy moly the son of a bitch did!
Im literally going to cry, I feel like my art is slightly relevant now....

The lines it gives arent the smoothest though, but then again I didnt take the time to manually edit anything which youcan do.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-17 10:29:36

At 11/17/12 05:10 AM, Captain-Carrion wrote: The program is called Vector Magic

Not to throw any monkey wrenches in to any machines here, but this sounds really similar to trace bitmap in flash, and the more accurate live trace in Illustrator.

also the examples you posted seems to look like what live trace produces...

None the less I'm pretty intrigued by your claims. I'm going to try it out myself and compare the results. Who knows this program could be better.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-17 14:51:00

At 11/17/12 06:40 AM, Lucky wrote:
It's up to you, it looks good to me either way. That is a great piece of software though, i'm trying it out now, the only complaint i have is if i want to use the max settings so it smooths out the right things and it leaves the other things alone it

Ok scratch that last posts, after enough messing around this software is amaaazing. It does a waaaay better job than illustrator cs3 of cs5 and considering the fact i only use custom settings on both of those apps and this still made more accuare linework than either of them... this kicks ass! (the desktop version) Thanks carriooon :)

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-19 15:58:04

...for those of you that don't venture out of the art forum, the 2012 Holiday Card Exchange is happening!!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-20 21:50:38

Man, the forum has been dead lately...

Lurking is no fun if no one is chatting....

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-21 05:15:27

This is just a reminder that I am the most Handsome Cat in the art forum

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-21 05:15:35

murof tra eht ni dnaH emostaC tsom eht ma I taht rednimer a tsuj si sihT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-21 08:24:29

At 11/20/12 09:50 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Man, the forum has been dead lately...
Lurking is no fun if no one is chatting....

Well, December is soon approaching.
I'll be starting up the Art Forum Awards as usual

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-21 10:19:07

Do not be of the worrying peoples of the art fourm, us cats have been playing with the copy and paste functions in the system as well as inverted colors and text.

I'm sure nothing bad happened :3

Meow

Meow <3

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-21 17:56:40

So I don't know if anybody else has pointed this out yet, but if anybody around here has been looking into maybe getting manga studio ex4, this Friday there is a website that will let you get the full version at 90% off ($30).
More details here.
The only catch is that you have to sign up for an email subscription, but I figure if you do it today then you can get the email on friday and buy it online... I'm assuming you can opt out of the subscription at any time, like most let you do.

So yeah. Just pointing that out. Figured someone might be interested.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 08:17:47

Getting on board an Air New Zealand flight, not planning on jumping onto Lord of the Rings related jokes, when all of a sudden I'm greeted by this flight safety video.

Aigis, your country knows no shame.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 08:59:07

At 11/22/12 08:17 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Aigis, your country knows no shame.

That's because all of the country's shame is stored in Aigis, he feels shamed for everyone.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 11:00:51

yaaaaay

Art Forum Lounge

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 11:33:53

At 11/22/12 11:00 AM, Lintire wrote: yaaaaay

Happy birthday?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 11:34:48

What an old man.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 14:05:13

At 11/22/12 11:33 AM, Nacco wrote: Happy birthday?

yeah its a birthday

At 11/22/12 11:34 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: What an old man.

he's at severe risk of type 2 oldfartinitus

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 14:29:25

At 11/22/12 08:17 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Getting on board an Air New Zealand flight, not planning on jumping onto Lord of the Rings related jokes, when all of a sudden I'm greeted by this flight safety video.

Yeah it...

Yeah.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 14:58:59

@Lint

Happy birthday ya angry fuck :P

At 11/22/12 08:17 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Getting on board an Air New Zealand flight, not planning on jumping onto Lord of the Rings related jokes, when all of a sudden I'm greeted by this flight safety video.

Yeah my mate's the dwarf with the ipad in it :P Tourism is our biggest industry after all

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 16:01:07

No, fuck you.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-22 20:35:52

Happy birfday Lint

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 12:08:22

If any of you fellow art forum goers have a tumble you should post a link here in the lounge. I'd like the be able to keep up with yer art progress from my dashboard. And if you don't have a tumblr you should consider using it to publicize your work. It has also proved to be a wealthy source of inspiration when my noggin is feeling all empty and such. Good for portfolios, you only see content from people you follow, is a rich source for images to keep motivated. Also, newgrounds has its own tumblr, and they post caps from movies and games sometimes. neato. <3
http://cutlaska.tumblr.com/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 12:55:10

At 11/25/12 12:08 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: If any of you fellow art forum goers have a tumble you should post a link here in the lounge. I'd like the be able to keep up with yer art progress from my dashboard. And if you don't have a tumblr you should consider using it to publicize your work.

I've been meaning to overhaul my empty shell of a tumblr for quite some time now, looks like ass at the moment.

But lets be frank here tumblr doesn't exactly need another Homestuck blog. I'll take my time with it.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 14:34:47

At 11/25/12 12:08 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: If any of you fellow art forum goers have a tumble you should post a link here in the lounge.

I don't tumble......

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-11-25 14:53:47

At 11/25/12 12:08 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: If any of you fellow art forum goers have a tumble you should post a link here in the lounge.

Everyone has space on their user page for that, otherwise, there's the activities thread where people are welcome to post their skype, aim/msn/yahoo, gaming... and tumblr info... so there's no need to mix it in here too :P