New Topic Respond to this Topic
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Apr. 29th, 2012 @ 05:52 AM Reply

In general neither place is particularly helpful if you have no idea where to find the help.

In the art forums, you make a thread, read art101 and watch the lounge and other people's threads and you'll pick up on helpful info, a lot of the response for your own personal thread just comes down to how interested people are in helping or commenting. But both communities really have an even smaller niche.

I found that if I ever wanted real feedback I'd have to be on the art forum's stickam room really, and in DA I have only ever gotten feedback that wasn't "OH SO CUTE/CREEPY <3" when I was in a DA group chat.

I am a little astonished you received real feedback on your art on DA because I've been going there for almost 7 years and totally don't get that really. Especially now that I stopped posting fan art on my page.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge Apr. 29th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM Reply

At 4/29/12 05:18 AM, M0nk3m4n wrote: I dunno if anybody'll read this & it doesn't matter if anybody gives a damn, but I feel like saying it somewhere anyway.
Is it just me...or do you have to be just way too talented on NG to get anywhere when it comes to artwork standards?
On deviantART, for example...I used to feel like, eh my art's pretty sub-par, but people gave me helpful feedback & it
helped me improve quite a lot. Here, on the other hand, it seems like a pretty steep hill by comparison.
It's either just not exactly a very helpful community or a MUCH, MUCH less tolerant one. It really seems very unfair.
An amateur artist on deviantART can get started, get pointers, and get better at what they do, but here...no so. :/

The standard on DA is seemingly lower because there is a larger number of artists in general (ie. more crap to sort through). The number of good artists just seems smaller in proportion. Some of the best artists in the world use DA (maybe just for publicity, tho), so I wouldn't say NG has a higher standard. But I wouldn't say NG has a low standard, either. I mean the guy who now works on League of Legends used to post art here.

The reason why it's harder to get feedback and such here is 1.) NG is not exclusively about art and 2.) the interface of NG's Art Portal is streamlined to the point where art is replaced at a very high rate. Your work could be out of the public eye within one or two hours past uploading it. Most people never venture past the front page to look for art.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Apr. 29th, 2012 @ 08:21 AM Reply

At 4/29/12 05:18 AM, M0nk3m4n wrote: An amateur artist on deviantART can get started, get pointers, and get better at what they do, but here...no so. :/

Nah, I disagree. Id like to see these reviews on your DA, since I've visited tons of people's profiles and have only come across the usual dick-licking comments, or brain-dead crit. like "fix your anatomy"

At 4/29/12 06:07 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: The standard on DA is seemingly lower because there is a larger number of artists in general (ie. more crap to sort through). The number of good artists just seems smaller in proportion.

^ this. The saving grace of DA is that their daily chosen art are brilliant and from a variety of artists. For NG it's harder to do this since it doesn't have the same population of artists.

The reason why it's harder to get feedback and such here is 1.) NG is not exclusively about art and 2.) the interface of NG's Art Portal is streamlined to the point where art is replaced at a very high rate. Your work could be out of the public eye within one or two hours past uploading it. Most people never venture past the front page to look for art.

^ this as well. I also think people would prefer to dump a faceless 5 vote on people's submissions, which doesn't have the same impact as a review.

BBS Signature
Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge Apr. 29th, 2012 @ 07:40 PM Reply

So I dunno if you guys already know about this, but Monoprice, that website that sells really cheap electronics and stuff, makes their own graphics tablets. Of course, this makes most of us go "Ehhh...", but apparently they actually work amazingly. The guy who wrote this review claims to prefer it over his Cintiq, and even gave away his Intuos. If you don't wanna look at the article, here's an example of the guy noodling around with it, looks pretty nice to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPI7qFwdNRg

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Apr. 29th, 2012 @ 09:22 PM Reply

At 4/29/12 07:40 PM, Spags wrote: So I dunno if you guys already know about this, but Monoprice, that website that sells really cheap electronics and stuff, makes their own graphics tablets.

Wow those are stupidly cheap.....
If only I knew sooner.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 01:13 AM Reply

Well, I made this about 8 hours ago, but didn't decide to plug it..... might as well plug it now.

• Babycakes - Doors
    Babycakes - Doors by big-jonny-13

Babycakes tells us about doors

Score
    4.49 / 5.00
    Type
    Voice
    Genre
    Comedy
    Popularity

Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 01:20 AM Reply

At 4/30/12 01:13 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well, I made this about 8 hours ago, but didn't decide to plug it..... might as well plug it now.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/483483

Dude, that's spot on :D Great job!

My Artsy Thread
Current top 3 forum artists

Fersteger /Flowers10 / ZaneZansorrow

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge Apr. 30th, 2012 @ 10:05 AM Reply

At 4/30/12 01:20 AM, Lucky wrote: Dude, that's spot on :D Great job!

I am Babycakes, you are Babycakes, I am the world.

Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:06 AM Reply

Okay gents. I've been having a bit of an e-identity crisis thus far and have seriously been considering a name change. So, a question for the masses: "siliconcat" or "siliconlynx"?

As a bonus question, these names do not evoke thoughts of furries, now they?

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:16 AM Reply

NEITHER.

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:21 AM Reply

At 5/1/12 08:16 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: NEITHER.

I second this notion.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:44 AM Reply

At 5/1/12 08:16 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: NEITHER.

NOT AN OPTION
Sorry mum, but I ain't wearing that nickname you go me.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 09:16 AM Reply

At 5/1/12 08:44 AM, Re2deemer wrote: Sorry mum, but I ain't wearing that nickname you go me.

Quit being silly, Reginald, and eat your vegetables.

BBS Signature
MeowolaSS
MeowolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 09:23 AM Reply

At 5/1/12 08:06 AM, Re2deemer wrote: "siliconcat"

We already know you are a handsome cat, there is no need implyings it in your names you knows! Re2deemer is an awesomes name and you shall stick with its you knows!

Meow <3

BBS Signature
Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 10:17 AM Reply

At 5/1/12 09:23 AM, MeowolaSS wrote: Re2deemer is an awesomes name and you shall stick with its you knows!

'fraid I don't know. Long story short, "Re2deemer" has been a convenient name that I could use everywhere because its a unique combination, eliminating any chance of a naming conflict.

However, with convenience came a downside that has become more and more worrisome for me lately: it hardly has a future. It is hardly evocative, it is hard to spell, hard to remember and most of all, it's not a name that I wouldn't feel embarrassed giving out to friends and/or employers. It's also not a name that would make for great brand recognition. Think back at some recognizable folk on the net. Can you think of some that had a number in their name (and if they did, did they not have a simpler, easier to remember nickname)? I can only think of one, "deadMau5".

That last part felt especially silly to write, as if I had some fame mania saying that I must be e-famous. THE INTERNET WILL LOVE ME OR IT WILL BURRRRN. That is not the case....it's just that I don't really want to exclude that chance. By now, being 19, I've realized that some things are better done with some foresight. Crafting a self-identity, even if it's on the Internet(which many may not consider serious business), is one of those things. I just want one that I feel comfortable with.

...I'm not saying a silicon-based name is the only option here, of course I'm still prodding and thinking over the different options.

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 10:31 AM Reply

There is really only one option for a name change for you re2deemer, or should I say
ReginaldDeemerTheSecond

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 10:45 AM Reply

At 5/1/12 10:17 AM, Re2deemer wrote: Think back at some recognizable folk on the net. Can you think of some that had a number in their name (and if they did, did they not have a simpler, easier to remember nickname)? I can only think of one, "deadMau5".

Bigjonny13?

At 5/1/12 10:31 AM, J-qb wrote: ReginaldDeemerTheSecond

Yes, I fully support this option (if it can fit, that is).

Daverom
Daverom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 06:50 PM Reply

If you want something distinct and evocative, following lazymuffin's guide to usernames(verb-adj, or in this case noun, and another noun) isn't the way to go.

Glacier
Glacier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:09 PM Reply

At 5/1/12 06:50 PM, M-Vero wrote: If you want something distinct and evocative, following lazymuffin's guide to usernames(verb-adj, or in this case noun, and another noun) isn't the way to go.

Ugh, people that follow that form of naming are just terrible.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:15 PM Reply

At 5/1/12 08:09 PM, Glacier wrote: Ugh, people that follow that form of naming are just terrible.

Hahaha, it's funny because you know you're being ironic.

pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:22 PM Reply

Hahaha, it's funny because you know you're being ironic.

....god I love this forum.

^true story.

Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 08:50 PM Reply

ChocolateKitteh's thread has gotten some of the most childish comments i've seen

At 4/29/12 01:54 PM, EnactJudo wrote: 13/f/cali looking 4 marine to satisfy my needs
At 5/1/12 01:21 AM, HotCakes wrote: that is hot
At 5/1/12 10:16 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: A boner IS art.
At 5/1/12 06:30 PM, EnactJudo wrote: shit on my face

is it just me? should this kind of behavior be encouraged in a personal art thread

My Artsy Thread
Current top 3 forum artists

Fersteger /Flowers10 / ZaneZansorrow

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 09:03 PM Reply

At 5/1/12 08:50 PM, Lucky wrote: ChocolateKitteh's thread has gotten some of the most childish comments i've seen
At 4/29/12 01:54 PM, EnactJudo wrote: 13/f/cali looking 4 marine to satisfy my needs
At 5/1/12 01:21 AM, HotCakes wrote: that is hot
At 5/1/12 10:16 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: A boner IS art.
At 5/1/12 06:30 PM, EnactJudo wrote: shit on my face

Oh.

is it just me? should this kind of behavior be encouraged in a personal art thread

No, def not. There's a fine line between japes and shitting over a thread.
I've removed the "shit on my face" one, I'll try to keep an eye on the future developments.
When I'm not at work.

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 1st, 2012 @ 11:12 PM Reply

At 5/1/12 08:06 AM, Re2deemer wrote: Okay gents. I've been having a bit of an e-identity crisis thus far and have seriously been considering a name change. So, a question for the masses: "siliconcat" or "siliconlynx"?

I know how you feel kinda, I am tired of being Knocturne, but it's too late. I'd say invest a bit more time in a new name though because those are not names I would remember

And I've always thought your name was cool and it's easy to remember. And alternatively Jon's name not so much, I just remembered his had numbers and 'big' in it so...

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:04 AM Reply

a little late

Art Forum Lounge

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:00 AM Reply

You know why I never changed my name to something that makes sense?

BECAUSE IT'S THE GREATEST NAME EVER, PERIOD, NO QUESTIONING IT.

x-factor11, what the hell does that even mean? I sure as hell don't know, that's the beauty of it!

Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:07 AM Reply

How long have you guys used your online handles? I've used Hyptosis since 1996, soooooo 16 years, more than half my life I've used it.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:48 AM Reply

At 5/2/12 07:07 AM, Hyptosis wrote: How long have you guys used your online handles? I've used Hyptosis since 1996, soooooo 16 years, more than half my life I've used it.

I've been using bigjonny13 since I started going online for things, from Netdragons, to StarCraft, to Youtube.
It's at least 12 years old I'd say.

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 53
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:02 AM Reply

At 5/2/12 07:07 AM, Hyptosis wrote: How long have you guys used your online handles? I've used Hyptosis since 1996, soooooo 16 years, more than half my life I've used it.

iv had LegolaSS knocking around the 2002 mark, before that i had Gift33 dotted around on games *like starcraft*... it was a easy name to get before the Surge of LOTR people adapted the name as well... making it a lot harder to get hold off... so i try to use LegolaSS if i can, if not, its Legola33... a quick google and you will see a bunch of online accounts, ROBLOX, YouTube, deviantART, Xfire, My Brute, Gaia Online, MochiGames,TF2 *aka steam*, bloodbowlonline, eBay....

so much shit i used to do :P

BBS Signature
Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:19 PM Reply

11 years, I didn't start creating an online presence with 'Knocturne' til around 2005 though, prior to that I went by Keithasaurus on Neopets...

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature