New Topic Respond to this Topic
Peglay
Peglay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 8th, 2012 @ 05:34 PM Reply

Maurice Sendak the amazing writer and illustrator that made Where the wild things are has died today at age 83. May he rest in peace :(

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 9th, 2012 @ 03:18 PM Reply

Yours truly is featured in a NATA submission (briefly, but still there).

• The use of time travel
    The use of time travel by Cenaf

A most possible way to use time travel!

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

test-object
test-object
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 9th, 2012 @ 05:34 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 03:18 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Yours truly is featured in a NATA submission (briefly, but still there).
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/595202

And as a good little slut, I should post mine everywhere as well.

• Tomb Travel
    Tomb Travel by test-object

An ancient Egyptian thief wants to rob a pyramid. Will he succeed?

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 9th, 2012 @ 07:14 PM Reply

At 5/9/12 05:34 PM, test-object wrote: And as a good little slut, I should post mine everywhere as well.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/595228

Wow Testy, there's colour in it, I'm impressed.

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 02:56 AM Reply

Why is it that the artists who tend to do adult-oriented work tend to have pretty poor anatomy?

Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 02:56 AM Reply

I attended a pub crawl the celebrate the 4th. Cosplayed as Admiral Akbar, snuck into almost all the bars not being 21. YOLO.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 05:34 AM Reply

booyah, art on top

Art Forum Lounge

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 05:45 AM Reply

At 5/10/12 05:34 AM, J-qb wrote: booyah, art on top

That is awesome!... its already sat there at the top like it should have always been for me :3...

No more scrolling down for me!... HUZZAR!

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 06:19 AM Reply

Yeah, I've been looking forward to this feature.
I'm more of an Art + Game guy, so it's great to finally have these up top.

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 06:24 AM Reply

At 5/10/12 05:45 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
No more scrolling down for me!... HUZZAR!

That's not a bad feature although I really am somebody who uses all aspects of Newgrounds so it'll be hard for me to think of an order. Art near the top though.

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 5/10/12 02:56 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: Why is it that the artists who tend to do adult-oriented work tend to have pretty poor anatomy?

It's because artists who tend to do adult-oriented work only focus on boobs and vagina and have no concept about the other parts of the human body.

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 10:29 AM Reply

It's strange because I've seen users who vote highly on some adult artwork (despite poor anatomy) being very nitpicky about their reviews on non-adult artwork. Like a review on an adult piece would be "wow this is great 5 stars" and a review on a non-adult work would be "hmm...this is ok [insert list of minor nitpicks] 2 stars". It seems like many of our horndog users suddenly evolve into "art scholars" when tits aren't present. But when tits are present they couldn't care less about the fundamentals.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 11:04 AM Reply

@Cypress - Pretty much, yeah. People come for the tits, but when they can't get their fix, they decide to get all shitty. It's just a major flaw because of all the horny pervy shitheads out there.

@Bilalz - While Nitrome's games having ads does bother me a bit, I totally understand it though. Nitrome has to run it's own website, and hosting a fully fledged website isn't cheap, so you need funding however you can get it. The fact that someone would rate a game poorly based on that fact is just another turd in the toilet bowl of society.

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 11:12 AM Reply

Yeah, especially considering the excellent quality of their FREE games.

NiteCrow
NiteCrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 11:13 AM Reply

Yup, games just get a shit score just cause "O mai god, it wun't loadz!11!" or " Fix da lagzoor!!!". People tend to think that it is game's fault that it lags or that it doesn't load, instead of trying to figure out what's wrong and try to fix it

My art Thread, prepare to get your eyes burned!

BBS Signature
LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 11:41 AM Reply

In short... there are people out there who are morons.

people make games for "free" for others to play for "free"... ad revenue is a way of SOME income, yes its annoying, but it isn't going to kill you to wait that extra 5 seconds is it?

AndEeX clearly has no concept of time it takes to make games nor the understand of greater things in the world...

but rating down a game because it has ad's?!... all films at cinemas would be rated 0 because of the ad's... all TV shows would be rated 0 because of the ad's... basicly every bloody website has ad's... its becoming a bigger part of the online world because its effective advertising.

i just wished they were all muted unless you clicked a button for music/sound.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 12:02 PM Reply

At 5/10/12 11:41 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
i just wished they were all muted unless you clicked a button for music/sound.

At least the ads are mutable, better than having no control at all.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 10th, 2012 @ 11:51 PM Reply

Well damn,
So I have gotten nothing done lately. Which fucking sucks. I have been kind of all over the place lately and I just don't know where the time has gone.
Ahh well. I got hold of some real good moonshine, and damn does it taste good, So I'm going to have a drink in memory of my uncle who passed today, get a little drunk, hope I don't go blind and get up in the morning and try to get something good done tomorrow.

man this is some good shit. It's not called apple pie for nothing. :3

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 5/10/12 11:51 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I got hold of some real good moonshine,

to the MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

+1 drunk post...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 01:21 AM Reply

At 5/10/12 11:04 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: @Cypress - Pretty much, yeah. People come for the tits, but when they can't get their fix, they decide to get all shitty. It's just a major flaw because of all the horny pervy shitheads out there.

It's really a shame because they give truly bad advice to truly good artists and don't give any constructive advice to generally mediocre artists. This creates a bunch of bad artists who are far too comfortable with their skill level. I told some guy earlier that his anatomy was poor and he pissed his pants over it like I just killed his mom or something.

I guess what I mean to say is: KEEP RAISING THE BAR. If you think it's within reach, it's not high enough.

Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 02:25 AM Reply

At 5/11/12 01:21 AM, CypressDahlia wrote:
At 5/10/12 11:04 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: @Cypress - Pretty much, yeah. People come for the tits, but when they can't get their fix, they decide to get all shitty. It's just a major flaw because of all the horny pervy shitheads out there.
It's really a shame because they give truly bad advice to truly good artists and don't give any constructive advice to generally mediocre artists. This creates a bunch of bad artists who are far too comfortable with their skill level. I told some guy earlier that his anatomy was poor and he pissed his pants over it like I just killed his mom or something.

I guess what I mean to say is: KEEP RAISING THE BAR. If you think it's within reach, it's not high enough.

In my experience most mediocre artist's dont have the ability to take critique, they take it personal.
So now im only giving critique to people who are actually asking for it, or who are good enough to take it imo.
Its stupid, but i dont want a bunch of shitty artists flaming and down voting me.

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
x-factor11
x-factor11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 03:03 AM Reply

I remember when I wasn't that great of an artist I used to be a shit head when it came to critiques.

But I think people are shit heads about it when they aren't that good because you have to be really confident in yourself to get from making bad art to anything good.

Like at the start point it's more about drawing as much as possible verses drawing intelligently, and getting any negative response only makes them want to draw less; so they denounce/ignore it as much as they can and move on. Eventually though they'll hit a point where they are able to hate there own art, and can judge it as if they didn't make it, and at that point critiques are much easier to handle because they can agree with them.

Or at least that's how I think of it.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 08:41 AM Reply

At 5/11/12 03:03 AM, x-factor11 wrote: I Eventually though they'll hit a point where they are able to hate there own art, and can judge it as if they didn't make it, and at that point critiques are much easier to handle because they can agree with them.

Normally, I would say you're right, but with mediocre artists getting slaps on the ass, the first negative review they get, they piss up a storm and think that it's a lie.
People need to stop giving ego boosts and start being hard.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 08:55 AM Reply

At 5/11/12 01:21 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: I told some guy earlier that his anatomy was poor and he pissed his pants over it like I just killed his mom or something.

"No offense, but I really don't care. 90% of the feedback I get from my viewers (on DA, not here, cause I've been here just 3 days) is very possitive. I'm happy with the skills I had aquired without having formally studied anatomy even one (all I do is 100% self taught), and I'll just keep improving."

Haha, I don't know what to comment on: The 90% positive feedback from DA, which clearly nourished the ego but not the work, or the self-taught argument used as a way to avoid studying anatomy.

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 09:06 AM Reply

At 5/11/12 08:55 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: stuff TurkeyOnAStick would say

Let's ditch the Friday Floods and replace them with Mature Mondays. We all go out flooding the art portal with critique on the Mature Content drawings.

BBS Signature
CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 09:09 AM Reply

Yeah seriously. I don't think he really understands who his audience is. Also the fact that he considers responses like "OMG it's so hot" (actual review) as actual "feedback" is crazy.

And yeah x-factor, you make a good point. I think it's healthy for someone to hate their own work to some extent. There's not a day that passes where I don't look at my art and think: "this, this and this is wrong"

And building on another one of your points: yes, there is a certain skill threshold under which an artist will benefit more from simply practicing than receiving detailed critiques. It's that "learning stage" that most of us are stuck in for years before we become competent (hell, I wasn't competent before 2011). For example, you wouldn't write a detailed critique on a crayon drawing by a grade schooler--it wouldn't make sense to. I usually don't leave reviews like "the anatomy is poor", but I would have to re-draw the entire pic or offer references to point out every single mistake. And I'm a guy who usually gives rather detailed reviews, too. But in this case, especially one where the artist displays consistent anatomy flaws in all of his work, it would not have helped at all.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 09:21 AM Reply

At 5/11/12 09:06 AM, test-object wrote:
At 5/11/12 08:55 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: stuff test-object would say

We could run an "M and A Monday", a one-off Friday Flood, to get people thinking about drawing and reviewing anatomy.

Plus prizes, say Top 2 get a Penciorn.

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 09:26 AM Reply

At 5/11/12 09:21 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: stuff test-object would say if he were TurkeyOnAStick

Love the abbreviation, Ma'am.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 12:18 PM Reply

At 5/11/12 10:02 AM, BilalZ wrote: thought i'd share this

Awesome.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Art Forum Lounge May. 11th, 2012 @ 01:45 PM Reply

At 5/11/12 10:02 AM, BilalZ wrote: thought i'd share this
https://vimeo.com/41261299

I love stop motion work. I think it's a severely under appreciated art form, especially nowadays.