00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dingleberry96 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

959,957 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 11:32:45

Yeah, it almost seems that you should be more wary of the requests that offer payment.
At least if it's for free then you know not to expect anything in return.
Yeah, I'd prefer what TOAS suggested and instead of handing out bans, go for the throat and take them out. Maybe others might realize that we can't be taken advantage of and realize that we're a lot tougher than we first come across.
The threat of lawsuit is always something you can scare people with.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 11:51:01

At 4/11/11 11:32 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Maybe others might realize that we can't be taken advantage of and realize that we're a lot tougher than we first come across.
The threat of lawsuit is always something you can scare people with.

Yeah but the problem is that a lot of these requests are made by people that never visit the art forum, so being tougher doesn't really prevent these threads from getting created

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 11:53:37

JQB's new computer, what a beast.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 11:59:49

At 4/11/11 11:53 AM, The-Worsley-Bear wrote: JQB's new computer, what a beast.

Looks portable.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 12:07:53

At 4/11/11 11:59 AM, Fifty-50 wrote:
Looks portable.

It's adorable.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 12:16:57

A Commodore 2001 PET? Holy shit! I hear you can get up to 32 kb of RAM in one of those mosters!

WANT!

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 12:18:39

At 4/11/11 12:16 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: A Commodore 2001 PET? Holy shit! I hear you can get up to 32 kb of RAM in one of those mosters!

WANT!

Must be the most advanced one in the world.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 12:24:06

Regarding requests, I'm perfectly fine with no requests allowed. There are plenty of sites where you can put requests like that, some where people specialize in the subject (logos, cover design, etc).
There could be a database of web sites that takes requests like that, and we would just link to that database.

Also nice comp Qb

How hip, bet no-ones ever even heard of it!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 13:47:16

At 4/11/11 12:24 PM, Havegum wrote: Also nice comp Qb
How hip, bet no-ones ever even heard of it!

Is a cool indie brand not a shitty mainstream computer brand like apple and windows.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 15:54:57

I agree with Jonny though, any request where money is involved is really iffy, as there's no real way to verify the legitimacy and honesty of the person commissioning.
Ideally a third-party site that's capable of cancelling the monetary transfer if the commissioner isn't satisfied should be used. Of course, it could only be cancelled if both parties agree on the cancellation. But then, I don't know, the commissioner could just lie about being dissatisfied and then turn around and use the art anyway once he's had his money returned.
So I don't think there really is a way for NG to deal with requests. Maybe it should be clarified that anyone who engages in such activities are on their own, and that they are solely responsible if they get screwed over?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 16:03:41

the problem with that, would be new people looking for artists, would still make threads, because lets face it, they dont look at the rules, so they wont bother searching for that specific thread, theyll just make a request thread as they do now

we already have an art request thread, animation requests, game art, etc, but nobody looks for them so we still end up linking them to it most of the time, only way to fix it is to sticky a post with links to those threads, and some would still skip that

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 16:03:52

At 4/11/11 03:54 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: I agree with Jonny though, any request where money is involved is really iffy, as there's no real way to verify the legitimacy and honesty of the person commissioning.
Ideally a third-party site that's capable of cancelling the monetary transfer if the commissioner isn't satisfied should be used. Of course, it could only be cancelled if both parties agree on the cancellation. But then, I don't know, the commissioner could just lie about being dissatisfied and then turn around and use the art anyway once he's had his money returned.
So I don't think there really is a way for NG to deal with requests. Maybe it should be clarified that anyone who engages in such activities are on their own, and that they are solely responsible if they get screwed over?

Aye, but demanding or strongly encouraging compensation for art does a few positive things (thus why it was introduced as necessary when I created the first Art Requests Thread).
> It weeds out the serious requesters from the rest.
> It shows that artists must be taken seriously and their time and talents are valuable commodities.
> It gives incentive for people who may want to take on the commission.

There are multiple facets to this issue and it makes it a tough nut to crack.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-11 16:35:58

At 4/11/11 04:03 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: There are multiple facets to this issue and it makes it a tough nut to crack.

I'm aware, I'm just going with the assumption that anyone who requests art and offers monetary compensation will invariably try to worm his way out of paying.
Best way is to not do commissions for anyone you don't know.
If you REALLY want to work on logo commissions, there are sites like 99designs.com where a dozens of people will submit their logo ideas and designs in hopes of earning payment.
I don't think Newgrounds is personally equipped to deal with paid requests in a way that ensures neither party gets screwed over. Not yet, anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-13 06:33:10

Wow, the lounge is so dead, that I found it on page 2!
Anyways, I don't know if any of you browse Reddit, I know whenever I'm not on NG, I'm probably there...
Anyways, if you're not familiar with it, it's like Digg but better and filled with pretentious people such as ourselves. It has many subreddits, which are kind of like forums, but different.
One I have found recently is this one. In it, a new sketch challenge is presented every day, and people participate in creating stuff for it!
If you have an account and wanna be my friend, my reddit name is Spagneti.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-14 06:18:39

This "pay-me" attitude is overflowing into a few threads, and it's killing the joy, and replacing it with misplaced anger.

Mellow out, man.

Let's quit bitching about it, and work out how to handle it. This is my idea of good conduct:

- If you want to help somebody for free, help somebody for free. This is meant to be a helpful forum.
- If you want to dick around and dress people up as pimps, dick around and dress people up as pimps. This is meant to be a fun forum.
- If you think you're interested in helping, but thinking the asking price is too slight for the amount of work, negotiate a better asking price with reasons. If it's still not enough, walk away.
- If you think somethings ridiculous, walk away and let it sink to the bottom of the forum. If a request is so absurd a mod would prob lock it. You don't need 10 response scoffing at it and, most importantly, don't get angry! Being angry is a commitment, and wastes time when you could be drawing, chatting and having a jolly good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-14 06:46:53

I totally agree with everything you just said Turkey. All too often, these threads are decending into angry people shouting at each other.

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-14 11:24:15

Other than the number of request threads, it seems we might have passed over the dry spell.
Threads seem to be moving well, and yesterday was rather busy.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-14 12:18:01

At 4/14/11 12:04 PM, threadwood wrote: now all of a sudden everyone's being over-sensitive and acting like asking for money for doing a service is being a bully. maybe i'm just too old and jaded to understand that logic.

No, not really. This was more a response to this thread, which I thought would be better off in the Lounge.

I agree that if the price is right, or if you can negotiate a fair deal, then nobody's a bully.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-14 14:47:57

We've been gettingso many of theselately, though.
Coincidence, or is google stalking the NG forums and sending anyone who searches for "art comissions" into the art section? :o

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 00:03:02

the BBS was so happening like 20 minuets ago... what happened guys?

I want some lo mein now for some reason.... no really... I'd gnaw off a homeless guy's leg for some right now...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 10:32:34

Hey guys, Renaenae, PabMo and me made a game for the jam; go play and 5 it.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 12:45:05

My very big sorry goes to everyone on here. I have been acting really strangely and assholy, I know, and I have no idea why I even pulled this shit move out from the beginning... but my guess is because of how sad my real life is like. BUT! Jonny and other big assholes browsing this forum are not getting it, simply because you are all just like that brown stuff coming out from the end of my butt.

Finally to the "friends" of Jonny, I can't believe how fucking much you are fooled by his charismatic appeal. If you don't already know, this is what he is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_
personality_disorder

Bye

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 12:51:53

At 4/18/11 12:45 PM, Droghead wrote: Finally to the "friends" of Jonny, I can't believe how fucking much you are fooled by his charismatic appeal. If you don't already know, this is what he is

sorry but who are you again? i must have missed some posts because apparently u mad

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 12:52:35

Yes, hanging out with people regularly acting like a normal person, it's all a facade, and you figured it out.

I can't even tell if you're a troll anymore.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 12:53:04

Sociopathy

Hare writes that the difference between sociopathy and psychopathy may "reflect the user's views on the origins and determinates of the disorder."[26]

In the preface to the fifth edition of The Mask of Sanity, Cleckly stated, "... revisions of the nomenclature have been made by the American Psychiatric Association. The classification of psychopathic personality was changed to that of sociopathic personality in 1958", suggesting that he did not recognize any difference between the conditions.

David T. Lykken proposed psychopathy and sociopathy are two distinct kinds of antisocial personality disorder. He believed psychopaths are born with temperamental differences such as impulsivity, cortical underarousal, and fearlessness that lead them to risk-seeking behavior and an inability to internalize social norms. On the other hand, he claimed that sociopaths have relatively normal temperaments; their personality disorder being more an effect of negative sociological factors like parental neglect, delinquent peers, poverty, and extremely low or extremely high intelligence. Both personality disorders are the result of an interaction between genetic predispositions and environmental factors, but psychopathy leans towards the hereditary whereas sociopathy tends towards the environmental.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 12:53:19

What's wrong with Jonny? He's awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 12:57:10

Ahh so you're a psychologist now?
Making claims about environmental happenings that could lead to this disorder as a child on a person you don't know in the slightest?

Never leave, you are adorable.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 12:57:16

At 4/18/11 12:53 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: What's wrong with Jonny? He's awesome.

Yes, he is indeed.

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

That is why.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 13:00:13

At 4/18/11 12:57 PM, Droghead wrote: Yes, he is indeed.

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

That is why.

Why do you don't like him lol? Did he do something to you?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2011-04-18 13:01:08

wow, 3 posts at like... ONCE? Theres something fishy going on in here at the art forum! Metaphorical... art forum?