00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hooovie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Friendly Reminder

25,850 Views | 263 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 01:44:54

At 4/24/03 11:39 PM, poxpower wrote: Damn, people don't read anything! It's so funny and sad to look at! There are some of you who come here, with 3-4 posts, and you express a valuable point, but unfortunately, IT HAS BEEN EXPRESSED 100 TIMES already. Quit yer yappin!

hey man, everyone here had 3-4 posts at one time. and anyway, im not about to read 80 posts about 1 issue that really isnt an issue at all, except for those who do nothing but blam.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 06:03:29

Hey Wade! Wanna know why Newgrounds is becoming this shit with crappy voters? Look at the other end of the scale. This submission (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=95326) although great is simply an UNCOMPRESSED MP3 that has beeen converted to Flash. It has no visuals and is simply an MP3 converted to Flash, yet it is still on the NG Database and has not been blammed! Now, i am not getting at the author, i am simply saying that noone votes by effort as this is still on and it probably took less time and effort to make than those submission which are blammed.

And they wondered why i was so pissed off!

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 06:20:37

At 4/24/03 11:54 PM, LeatherQueen wrote:
I have to agree. I've only recently even been looking into the new entries section of the portal, and I've got to admit that much of the new entries are simply thoroughly un-enjoyable mess. Many show little to no effort or creativity and often the author will admit to that. If an entry is garbage, in my opinion, you're saying I must give it a two or greater until it has an average review score, then I am allowed to vote as I actually feel? This seems to go against my original understanding of the concept, but I'll play by the rules, no problem.

I'll clarify what gets you on the "naughty voters" list. You have to persistently give bad votes to good scoring submissions. Therefore, if you vote 0 on any entry that gets blammed, you will not be on the list. If you vote 0 on submissions that end up being protected and have a score of 0-2, you will not end up on the list. If, however, you persistently vote 0 on anything that comes into the Portal and at least of a few of those entries end up getting scores of 3+ (and even manage to get a few awards), then you had better watch your back.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 06:25:23

At 4/25/03 06:20 AM, liljim wrote:
I'll clarify what gets you on the "naughty voters" list. You have to persistently give bad votes to good scoring submissions. Therefore, if you vote 0 on any entry that gets blammed, you will not be on the list. If you vote 0 on submissions that end up being protected and have a score of 0-2, you will not end up on the list. If, however, you persistently vote 0 on anything that comes into the Portal and at least of a few of those entries end up getting scores of 3+ (and even manage to get a few awards), then you had better watch your back.

Thanks for clarifying the matter! We were all wondering how it was actually programmed and all. I think this deserves a front page post, it'll make poor Wade work way less trying to explain to everyone 10 times that you only get on that list if you vote 0 on EVERYTING.
Well, you might want to add some more numbers too, like, how many times is "persistently", but then again, that would encourage some people to try and cheat some more.

Anyways, thank you for finally making it clear for everyone.

BBS Signature

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 06:46:27

At 4/25/03 06:03 AM, Spoofnet wrote: Hey Wade! Wanna know why Newgrounds is becoming this shit with crappy voters? Look at the other end of the scale. This submission (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=95326) although great is simply an UNCOMPRESSED MP3 that has beeen converted to Flash. It has no visuals and is simply an MP3 converted to Flash, yet it is still on the NG Database and has not been blammed! Now, i am not getting at the author, i am simply saying that noone votes by effort as this is still on and it probably took less time and effort to make than those submission which are blammed.

And they wondered why i was so pissed off!

Finally! Someone has blammed it and i have faith in Newgrounds for a short while!

As for those gits who vote 0 on everything, how will they pass a multiple choice test! Anyway, give some consideration to the author! I think that there should be a Privelege sytem of some sort, whereby newer users and constant blammers have the "Vote 0" and "Vote 1" buttons deactivated until they can show they aren't blammers or rack up more points. Wha'd'y'all think?

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 06:48:09

At 4/25/03 06:20 AM, liljim wrote: If, however, you persistently vote 0 on anything that comes into the Portal and at least of a few of those entries end up getting scores of 3+ (and even manage to get a few awards), then you had better watch your back.

I think you're better at explaining it than Wade is, he scares everyone off and everyone declares him a dictator.

Thanks for clarifying the matter.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 08:27:47

lol yeah when i was a n00b i used to vote 0 on everything but i vote fairy now. cant wait for the extra bandwidth though!

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 09:49:10

Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't like to think that if I vote 0 on entries that I think stink, that I'd end up on some list. I have a lot more blams than saves, but that's because I generally watch smaller movies (no broadband) and as such tend to watch poor submissions.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 09:59:35

Uhg, if I read the rest of this thread I'm going to become retarded. Some of you people just don't get it!

1. We are fully aware that more crap is submitted to the portal than quality submissions each day. We expect users to have more BLAM than SAVE points! We're not telling users not to BLAM crap! We're telling users to watch everything and vote fairly because many users are voting 0 on entries without watching them and I want them to know we will take action against them.

Most of the people complaining here are in no danger. If you watch an entry and you think it's crap and feel it should get a 0 or a 1 then it probably should! However, if you're voting 0 on entries that you see showing up in the Top 5 everyday you might want to question your voting skills (unless of course the submissions in the TOP 5 were stolen or something).

Here are the portal stats from the other day:

Entries Submitted Yesterday:

Entries Deleted Yesterday:

The reason the deletion was extra high is because I cleared out the whistle list. Many entries that don't get blammed right away are flagged and pulled from the portal. The whistle system is working so well we rarely clear the flags and put it back in the poratl.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 10:31:30

I always vote fair

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 11:01:56

Hey we should be allowed to vote how we want

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 11:07:45

At 4/25/03 09:59 AM, WadeFulp wrote: Uhg, if I read the rest of this thread I'm going to become retarded...

I swear to god, no matter how many times you explain it people still don't get it. It's such a simple concept, but it boggles some people's mind's.
Yes, you should be able to vote how you want, but not if your being an asshole about it (i.e.just to get BLAM points).

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 11:10:39

At 4/24/03 05:45 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

stuff

See Wade, it's this kind of stuff which has near everyone scared. Why bother voting to keep the thing alive, when you recommend afterwards, that we try and lower the score? That's double talk.

Oh and good luck on the 2nd pipeline.

Need a hot dicking?

JonasATnewgrounds.com

I do voices.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 11:46:02

At 4/25/03 09:59 AM, WadeFulp wrote: Stuff about the whistle.

Speaking of which, you should of gotten to this one cause I flagged it yesterday:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=95288

I believe it was stolen, cause the e-mail at the end didn't match the author's. Also, I do believe it was stolen from this site:

http://www.baixing.com.cn/flash/index.asp?typeid=0&page=2

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 12:02:05

Well that's a completely new take on math...Hey, one thing I've noticed about Newgrounds is that apparently you don't need to know math or how to write to do something with a computer. I liked Newgrounds a lot more when the users regulated the users and there weren't so many rules. I hardly come here anymore, it's now a place for little kids submitting crap and getting their crap to stay. Does anyone really think that good movies get blammed? If the 50-100 people are voting poorly on a good movie then there is no hope, but that doesn't happen. Stop protecting crap. And what is this idiocy about movies just going into the abyss? I used to love going to random movies and watching but you can't do that anymore because 8 out of 10 random movies brought up suck. It's not fun anymore, and THAT is why crap needs to be removed and not let to sit around. Whatever, it's your website.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 12:03:20

awww, how am I supposed to know how to vote if I don't watch the animation. Looking if the filesize is more than 300KB and checking if the author has previous submission still listed is just the thing to determine between 0 and 5. Of course if the rumors about a speedier connection are true, I might have to try again. (I feel really loved now)
I've voted correctly on 1423 entries in the last 23 days. I should be nr.uno on the s-list, if so my profile should get a credit like Nr.1 of the S-List. like probably top reviewers do, weren't all blams though. This is all a trick to gather love and to get my profile clicked, so do it. It's like Outwar. I love Outwar flashmakers.
Just remove blam/save points and behold the fair people.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 12:44:37

<<In other news our 2nd data pipeline should be installed either tonight or tomorrow! We hope! :)
Will this in addition to waiting 20 secs for the movie to start loading, download stopping in the middle and download never starting-
Reduce the: Error the server is under extreme load at the moment - while trying to view an animation or voting. Or is that a matter of processing power ?

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 12:46:57

Probably this is going 2 be ignored and forgotten in the dephts of the NG bbs, but heck, here it goes :

To Wade :

i´ve come to appreciatte NG alot. It made me try things like flash, that i thougth 2 hard for meh and worked ok. i even made some stuff that got in.
Still, i think this is an issue here. The voting sistem must be revised : NG community likes to express itself though the voting sistem. it isnt just a mere question of "effort". How about it? a change would be nice....
And i recommend that this so called list of "naughty voters" gets published in the front page, so we can see whats happening, and whos innit. I guess, speaking for the NG community if they allow, it would put allot of our minds to rest.
Anyway, i love NG. GJ Tom and Wade.

Sincerely gratteful
TFP

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 12:59:40

Keep up the good work tom

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 13:12:32

Being concerned with people who vote too low is important but let's not forget the ones who vote way too high. It's a less important matter, I know, but there are many cases in which an author submits something he or she knows is crap but a bunch of his/her "friends" (or multiple accounts of the same person) vote 5 anyway and save it. The best examples are StrawberryClock's movies like B, and remember that these movies' reviews have a bunch of "other" clocks saying retarded stuff with no depth, voting 10 in every category.

By the way... when I saw the movie Aura, I didn't like it and voted it 2, and in my review I gave it overall 3. It's in the top 50... was that too low for what the movie is? Let me know and if I must I'll be more careful.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 13:25:00

Yep, The voting sys will always be vunerable to group attacks. Of all the Ng based groups, the most concerning are the clocks. HOW? u ask. I went undercover to the clockcrew bbs.
Well, in theyre site, in the bbs, they have a thread reserved to members only to post theyre work, so they can vote high on them. So if this isnt subversion of the voting system, what isnt. And all under the so called rulez of the NG, u must vote high or die! (lol, sob sob)
thank God the commity is strong enough to deflect some of the crap of the clocks. As for the rest, i dunno how other groups work.
And yes, the Fulps want things in to keep the site alive. Lets face it, the pro´s stuff always get in cuz they are good. The average joe might have some problems differing on how good they are.
Still, i mantain my opinion, the voting system must be reformulated.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 13:40:00

bullshit you lying flamer!!go to hell bitch doing that to the cc!sad sad

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 13:58:06

At 4/25/03 01:12 PM, The_Plague wrote: Being concerned with people who vote too low is important but let's not forget the ones who vote way too high. It's a less important matter, I know, but there are many cases in which an author submits something he or she knows is crap but a bunch of his/her "friends" (or multiple accounts of the same person) vote 5 anyway and save it. The best examples are StrawberryClock's movies like B, and remember that these movies' reviews have a bunch of "other" clocks saying retarded stuff with no depth, voting 10 in every category.

By the way... when I saw the movie Aura, I didn't like it and voted it 2, and in my review I gave it overall 3. It's in the top 50... was that too low for what the movie is? Let me know and if I must I'll be more careful.

This is what i have been saying and everyone has been taking the piss out of me for it! For fuck's sake! History is all fine and so, btu movies like B are crap and do not deserve to be in the db. Revise the voting system and CLEAR OUT THE CRAP!

For all you NG history-phobiacs who want B to be kept, just imagine if the Six O'Clock news was still talking about World War 1 today!

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 13:59:53

Nah m8, all i said is true, and guess what, the clockscrew has a spy on its myst. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 15:19:49

Well, i vote fair. So I dun worry about my account. I admit that many movies are 100% piece of crap, they deserve a BIG BIG ZERO !!!

Friendly Reminder

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 15:36:49

Try making some then

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 15:38:13

For all you NG history-phobiacs who want B to be kept, just imagine if the Six O'Clock news was still talking about World War 1 today!

They are dumbass , A.N.Z.A.C day!

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 15:49:22

Yea, That is true, Wade. I vote fairly every time I see a flash, and I can't even remember the last time I watched a flash and didn't vote on it. But voting for a movie without watching it is rude, mean and I sure hope abnormal.

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 16:45:49

True that dawg

Response to Friendly Reminder 2003-04-25 17:02:33

i completely agree with ya