00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StickmanMarkinson just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors

9,013 Views | 59 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-07 14:08:13

Hi Flashers. I've been ironing out & adding to this with some help from the BPers in Wi/Ht. Suggestions and comments seem to have dried up over there, so as originally intended, I'm putting a copy here in the Flash Forum. Please refer new Flash Authors to it as you think suitable.
Also, if you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to post them in this thread. Thank you.

NG Submission Tips for new Flash authors v1.1
Flash Authors: This is not a definitive guide. These suggestions are here for you to take or leave.
This is also not a thread to teach you how to use Flash, or how to create a great movie. It's solely about the submission process.

You've created your first Flash. You've shown it to a few friends, who have all patted you on the back and told you it's cool. You've got yourself a Grounds Gold account, you've clicked the big 'SUBMIT' button on the Portal, you've filled in all the necessary details, and you're hovering over the second 'Submit' button. But wait....

1) OK. First off, lets fill you in on what happens once you upload your file.It gets assigned a PID number, and appears on the top of the left-hand column on NG's Flash Portal (50 Most Recent). The first period of your .swf's NG life is spent in the Judgement Zone. During this time, it will be subjected to a period of voting which decides whether it will stay on the site (get saved), or be deleted (get blammed). According to the NG Help file:
Movies are (currently) deleted if they fall below the listed score at the listed number of votes:
100 votes - 1.0
150 votes - 1.25
200 votes - 1.60

2) You should be aware that a large number of the people who see your Flash first are seasoned Blam/Protectors. These people are interested in their BP Rank, and most of them
a) have seen and voted on several thousand Flashes, and have a very good idea of what's good, and what's crap
b) have pretty high Voting Power. Which means they can have a big influence on your movie's destiny
(Note: I am speaking as a member of these BP'ers, and also as a Flash author; I state these facts purely so that you don't think I'm talking crap)

3) Let's start with the movie. I'm not going to write too much about this. Instant turn-offs are:

Handwritten text (what do you think the Text tool in Flash is for? Decoration?)
Dodgy preloaders or no preloader (get the NG Preloader here)
(Note: If you're using the NG Preloader, DON'T have a white background. Why? Because it makes the loading bar invisible, and therefore pointless)
Crappy drawings during the preloader. If in doubt, leave it clean.
Large filesize for no good reason; usually due to uncompressed audio (see this page for optimization tips)
Excessively small filesize (<50kb). There are some really good 'kb games' out there, but usually tiny=rubbish.
Double-submits. Don't bother, the second one will almost definitely get flagged. Double-submitting will also probably lower the score of the first one.

4) What else? Well, what's the first impression viewers get of your work, besides filesize and name? Yes, the Author's Comments...

• DO NOT leave the comments blank. When I see 'Authors Comments: none', I'm already thinking: 'Well, if they can't be bothered writing something about their movie, it must be shit'.
• DO NOT mention 'sticks'. There are some VERY good stick movies around, but they're few and far between. The same thing applies to the word 'skate', particularly if it's spelled 'sk8'.
• DO NOT say 'This is my first movie' or 'I got Flash 3 days ago', or anything along those lines. First movies are almost invariably utter shite. If your first movie is actually any good, you'll immediately lower the score by adding comments like that. Shoot yourself in the foot, why don't you?
• DO NOT say 'pls don't blam', or even mention the word 'blam'. I can guarantee that this will automatically put viewers into a 'blam' mentality.
• DO NOT tell viewers how old you are. They're not going to give you sympathy points because you've just stopped wearing nappies.
• DO NOT tell viewers how they should vote, why they shouldn't vote low or should vote high. The majority of them are more than capable of making their own minds up
• DO NOT tell viewers 'not to view' or 'not to vote' because your movie has sprites/sticks/DBZ/Korn/clocks/etc. They ARE going to view & vote; comments like that are just going to annoy them. Even if they don't like the style, they'll still vote high on it if it's a good Flash.
• DO NOT say: 'I made this project in school'. There are exceptions, but most movies with this in the comments are tripe. Another one to avoid is 'I was bored'.

• ALWAYS avoid using bad language. Most people just don't like it.
• ALWAYS run your comments through a spell-checker. Bad spelling and/or grammar instantly puts people off.
• ALWAYS fill in lots of intelligent, well written, informative detail. You can up your score by 1+ by following this step. It shows that you're serious about your Flash, and not just submitting it as a joke/test.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it to this thread later.
If anybody else has any suggestions, feel free to post in this thread. Please try to keep it concise.
To the Authors: I wish you every success with your Flash work.

Useful links:
Sprite page list by different
Very useful links for Flashers by Otacon (now -taco-). Look for the 9th post on the page.
Flash tuts list by AGH
Xenosteel's guide (very informative Flash movie)
Avoiding Blamnation (HNT)

Thanks to MPA, -Mazza-, merlinspark & Sakurazukamori for their input

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-07 14:14:35

wow i reacon you put more effort into that than most people in there flashes!

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-07 14:31:20

Yeah, those are some good tips. Good job :D

MOVIE REVIEWS FOR BADASSES

www.youtube.com/user/hardbodyreview s

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-11 09:41:21

"• ALWAYS fill in lots of intelligent, well written, informative detail. You can up your score by 1+ by following this step. It shows that you're serious about your Flash, and not just submitting it as a joke/test."

However, there will be always the idiots that talk in 133t 5p34k, and "ghetto" (Ya foo'!).

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-11 09:52:25

At 11/7/04 02:08 PM, Denvish wrote: Best Post Ever.

Thank-You So Much!

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-12 10:37:38

thnx this topic was a big help some what delayed me from releasing my firs video but a big help!

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-13 22:52:17

Just need to show this topic a little love because more newbie flash makers need to read this stuff. There needs to be more protection worthy flash around here. I've seen well over 30,000 flash go through the portal and Denvish knows what he's talking about.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-14 00:07:39

have i told you lately that i love you?

I used to be relevant.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-14 01:06:04

That was great, very informative and to the point.

I also want to point out something:
be absolutely sure that you truly want whatever you are submitting to pass; if it is just a joke submit it to a file hoster such as Deviant art. I madce this mistake, now I have to bother Wade asking him to delete alot of my crappy movies.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-14 01:21:30

ALWAYS post a link to the movie hosted by a file host site( www.imageshack.us ) before submitting.

Byt the way, nice guide.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-14 01:35:15

also, anything that took under an hour isn't worth watching...

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-11-14 05:07:03

Truly nice post if I may !
It kind of looks like a "How to make a decent Flash for Dummies" book. I really liked it. Some of the things you say, actually, everything you say, I have thought about it. And in the same way ! We have the same point of view on everything.

Now you're just saying out-loud what we're all thinking about =)
Nice "tutorial".

I play lottery. I always lose.

LOOK at my CAR VIDEOS on YouTUBE !!

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-12-10 08:22:05

I just want to ad to the list of imediate turn offs :
>>>If in your review you as the artist tell me its shit - - - well lets think about that one a minute you (the creator) think somethin is worthless (yet submit it anyway) so then when I (the viewer) read your comments I wonder before the movie/game even starts why I'm even bothering watching it an not just hitting the blam button, then after I watch it I'm angered because you told me its bad then I had to sit through your horrible submission (because I'm a fair person who thinks everyone gets a chance)

>>>>Another thing if you made it for just a few friends or just one person and its something we would have to know you personally in order to understand it well then its not a good idea to submit it remember you dont have to submit it for them to see it cause if they can watch the flashes on newgrounds you can send them the swf file an they will be able to view it

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2004-12-10 15:33:05

Not that I need it, but it was very well written. ;-)

Thanks for including my topic by the way. :-)

> twitter.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 15:23:37

At 12/10/04 03:33 PM, different wrote: Not that I need it, but it was very well written. ;-)

Thanks for including my topic by the way. :-)

No probs, I have a few of your threads bookmarked for throwing at newbs who come asking in Wi/Ht.

I just thought I'd bump this again for a laugh....

And yeah, as someone mentioned up there somewhere, for a free swf host (up to 1Mb), head over to http://imageshack.us

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 15:28:25

Geez, been a while since I've seen you around. Are you here for a stay or just a pass through?

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 15:46:57

At 1/25/05 03:28 PM, NegativeONE wrote: Geez, been a while since I've seen you around. Are you here for a stay or just a pass through?

Heh, just passing through. I have so many things going on right now, it's ridiculous. I'm on NG daily, but unfortunately just don't have the time to participate in the Flash forum... I'll hopefully get more regular once I get a few webdesign/Flash/etc projects off of my plate... if that ever happens. Having 2 small kids (and another on the way) is kinda time-consuming, too.

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 16:04:12

hmm well i disagree with the dont use handwritten text... i happen to think thats always a personal touch when text is written with your own handwriting.. granted it doesnt suit every purpose but i wouldnt call it a turnoff either.
I find really tacky freefontmania.com fonts tacky.. the ones with wingdings and fancy sunflowers and curly cues... stick to clean well designed fonts... text is there to deliver a message not decorate your artwork.

-L

None

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 16:14:03

At 1/25/05 04:04 PM, _Luis_ wrote: hmm well i disagree with the dont use handwritten text... i happen to think thats always a personal touch when text is written with your own handwriting.. granted it doesnt suit every purpose but i wouldnt call it a turnoff either.
I find really tacky freefontmania.com fonts tacky.. the ones with wingdings and fancy sunflowers and curly cues... stick to clean well designed fonts... text is there to deliver a message not decorate your artwork.

-L

Luis. This is the first time I've spoken to you. First off, I think that Til Deat Do Us Part is still one of the best movies on NG, and I can only dream of having artistic talent like yours. Now, that's enough of the worshipping; handwritten text - I wasn't referring to decent, tablet-written text, I was referring to the shitty mouse-scribbled text that is visible on 75% of blammed movies. There are very few people who can use a mouse or tablet to make attractive letters, words or sentences. I understand totally what you're saying, but you're definitely the exception to that rule. I'm sure if you spent as much time on the Portal as I do, you'd understand why I put this as one of my points.

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 16:17:46

ack.. cant argue that im still level 1 :(
yeah ill watch a flash movie one day youll see..

None

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 16:49:08

So umm... is there a particular time of the day or week, when I should submit, you know, when people might go easier on my submission?

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 16:56:38

At 1/25/05 04:49 PM, Crytter wrote: So umm... is there a particular time of the day or week, when I should submit, you know, when people might go easier on my submission?

Is it really worth it if you're just going to squeeze by judgement with a 1.63 or something along those lines?

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 17:08:01

At 11/7/04 02:08 PM, Denvish wrote: • DO NOT tell viewers 'not to view' or 'not to vote' because your movie has sprites/sticks/DBZ/Korn/clocks/etc. They ARE going to view & vote; comments like that are just going to annoy them. Even if they don't like the style, they'll still vote high on it if it's a good Flash.

i dont know if this falls under this thing or not, but i think a good thing would be:

• DO NOT tell viewers to only vote if they have Flash and can make good movies. People like me will instantly vote 0 when I am told not to vote because some looser cannot accept that they suck and don't want to put effort into their stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 17:11:58

umm thanks ill keep that in mind i just have one question if some one can answer it i made a flash with macromedia flash 2004mx and it saves in .fla format and i need it in .swf is there a way to convert it or am i using the wrong program?

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 17:19:32

At 1/25/05 04:56 PM, -Geoff- wrote: Is it really worth it if you're just going to squeeze by judgement with a 1.63 or something along those lines?

well, I've really working hard for it. I'm not just sure if it's just good enough so of course I'm gonna do everything I can to get it thru

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 17:22:35

This is helpful but im not sure if many n00bs will read this. Thanks anyway it has opened my eyes a bit more. I will sound more inteligent when writing my authors comments. =D

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 17:24:59

At 1/25/05 05:11 PM, kithrin1 wrote: umm thanks ill keep that in mind i just have one question if some one can answer it i made a flash with macromedia flash 2004mx and it saves in .fla format and i need it in .swf is there a way to convert it or am i using the wrong program?

FILE menu> Export or
FILE menu> Publish or
CTRL + ENTER (creates swf in same folder as fla)

At 1/25/05 05:19 PM, Crytter wrote: well, I've really working hard for it. I'm not just sure if it's just good enough so of course I'm gonna do everything I can to get it thru

Then don't bother submitting it. Take pride in your 'masterpiece, and go back to do some work on it until you KNOW it'll pass Judgement

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 17:27:57

At 1/25/05 05:08 PM, Primal wrote: i dont know if this falls under this thing or not, but i think a good thing would be:

• DO NOT tell viewers to only vote if they have Flash and can make good movies. People like me will instantly vote 0 when I am told not to vote because some looser cannot accept that they suck and don't want to put effort into their stuff.

That kind of falls under this:
• DO NOT tell viewers how they should vote, why they shouldn't vote low or should vote high. The majority of them are more than capable of making their own minds up

BBS Signature

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 18:06:00

At 1/25/05 05:24 PM, Denvish wrote: Then don't bother submitting it. Take pride in your 'masterpiece, and go back to do some work on it until you KNOW it'll pass Judgement

You all seem to think like I'm gonna drop some crappy stick movie...

You know, even if it isn't gonna be that good, I really wanna submit it. I mean not every flash has to be like in the top 50. and well, it's not even finished yet, so of course im gonna be working on it more. I think I can get it just up to 1.60 so that's why I'm looking for ways to increase its chances of protection.

Response to N G Submit Tips For Flash Authors 2005-01-25 18:21:53

blah I just want to get 1 in the top 20 and then I am going to retire I think.