00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AS Bookmark button + Favicon

4,613 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

AS Bookmark button + Favicon 2006-01-31 22:30:45

Go to AS Main for more ActionScripts.

= = AS: Bookmark button = =

One of the things that will make your visitors come back to your website is the Bookmark button.

Why? They'll have a quick access to your site if your URL is long or hard to remember.
So, let's make a fancy Bookmark button for it.

= = First step: The Favicon = =
What is a Favicon?
A Favicon is the little image that appers next to the URL at your Navigation toolbar (The place where you write the URL where you want to go) and will be also the image displayed next to the name of the link in your Favorites (IE5 and above) or Bookmarks (FireFox)

How do I make a Favicon?
It's easier than you think. All you need is an image with 16x16. If it's a BMP, when you save it rename it as '.ico' instead of '.bmp' If you need something even more profesional, you could use one of the next programs to make it:

Ani.cur.ico Editor 3.5
QTam Bitmap to Icon 3.5
IconForge 7.12

Or use the java-based icon creator at favicon.com.

What do I do with the Favicon?
Upload it to your website and name it as favicon.ico

= = The button = =
So, now you're ready and all what you need is to make a good looking button so your visitors make click on it. It has to take their attention but NOT A LOT. Try to don't make your button annoying, or the visitir might leave your website. What would be annoying?

- A Flashing button
- Something that don't match with your website's colors.
- A BIG BUTTON labeled as "OMFG CLICK HERE!!!11" or something like that.

You gotta make it:

- As much big as your other buttons
- Add it to your website's menu
- You could label it as "Bookmark us!" or "Add us to your Favorites"

At the end, it's up to you...

= = The ActionScript = =
This is the easiest part, add an ActionScript like this to your button:

on (release) {
getURL ("javascript:window.external.AddFavorite(
'http://www.newgrounds.com/','The problems of Future today!');");
}

All what you need to do is change the URL and the Name that will be displayed when they press the button :) In this example the URL us www.newgrounds.com and the name that will be displayed is The problmes of Future today!

As you can see, it works almost the same than the script you'd use in a 'normal' button (A Text or image, without use Flash)

Note: I was going to add a Javascript here to bookmark 'automatically' a website, but the BBS doesn't let me post it for the script it has. If anyone wants to take a look at it or use it, feel free to e-mail me.

Feel free to ask here if you have any questions.

Response to AS Bookmark button + Favicon 2006-01-31 22:33:19

And all this time i thought you couldnt code

Response to AS Bookmark button + Favicon 2006-01-31 22:34:02

very handy for advertising

Response to AS Bookmark button + Favicon 2006-01-31 22:38:06

At 1/31/06 10:33 PM, SaintShun wrote: And all this time i thought you couldnt code

And why did you think that?

I'm not 'excelent' with ActionScript... But I'm pretty skilled with other languages...

Response to AS Bookmark button + Favicon 2006-01-31 22:39:25

i dont know, couse you were always on the general and that drains your brain.

Response to AS Bookmark button + Favicon 2006-01-31 22:47:58

At 1/31/06 10:39 PM, SaintShun wrote: i dont know, couse you were always on the general and that drains your brain.

I spend more time at this section than at General >:)

Just because I don't post here as much as I do it a general, doesn't mean I'm not here...lurking >:)

Response to AS Bookmark button + Favicon 2006-01-31 22:52:09

ive only seen you in the past few days, thou thats something good couse we get more protection from stupid posters.

Response to AS Bookmark button + Favicon 2006-01-31 23:02:02

At 1/31/06 10:52 PM, SaintShun wrote: ive only seen you in the past few days, thou thats something good couse we get more protection from stupid posters.

Whenever you see someone posting something stupid and/or offensive, feel free to e-mail me... When I'm not online, it's because I'm working on Flash... But as soon as I get an e-mail a page pops-up here (Its something I made with ActionScript, I'll make a tut about it sooner or later) and I'd check it ASAP.

I'm here to help, don't forget that.

Response to AS Bookmark button + Favicon 2006-01-31 23:04:14

At 1/31/06 11:02 PM, Ozcar wrote: But as soon as I get an e-mail a page pops-up here (Its something I made with ActionScript, I'll make a tut about it sooner or later)

That sounds pretty sweet. Looking foreward to that one.

BBS Signature