New Topic Respond to this Topic
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-21 23:43:48 Reply

At 11/21/09 08:06 PM, ikool wrote: And Aigis, how is Persona 4? My friend is giving me the chance to borrow it, and I'm not sure if it's gonna be worth my time.

Why on Earth not? It's one of the most critically acclaimed RPGs on PS2 (behind Final Fantasy X and XII, and Dragon Quest VIII).

It's good. It's like an improved version of Persona 3, with a lot less frustrating aspects. I don't know enough about the story yet to comment on it because I haven't gotten close to the explanations. At the point I'm on, it's more about character than narrative.

The only real problems are the voice acting, which is very underwhelming, and the grindy nature of the game, though the fast paced battle system more than makes up for that.

I'm sure it would be especially great if you'd never played Persona 3, considering how fresh Persona 3 felt when I played it.

You might as well play it and find out.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to RPG club 2009-11-24 09:10:00 Reply

Going over a few screens from Dragon Age, I have only noticed just now that it seems rather much like an MMORPG. Not that it bothers me that much, I guess it would take a bit getting used to though.

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-25 08:38:42 Reply

The latest Tales of Graces commercial.

what happened to this place?
Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-25 14:56:37 Reply

Tales of Updates

A bunch of new costumes for the Vesperia gang are up in the Japanese PlayStation Network today, featuring cameos of the Tales of Series' prominent characters. They are calling this the "Strong Ones Compilation", which is pretty much the best description for these characters, though I won't mention because it might spoil some people who haven't played the other games. The costume titles are now up for download from the Japanese PSN for 300 Yen each costume.

Yuri: Creed Graphite (Tales of Hearts)
Estelle: Shizel (Tales of Eternia)
Karol: Milhaust Selkirk (Tales of Rebirth)
Rita: Walter Delques (Tales of Legendia)
Raven: Van Grants (Tales of the Abyss)
Judith: Richter Abend (Tales of Symphonia: DotNW/KoR)
Repede: Asras (Tales of Innocence)
Flynn: Lukius Bridges (Tales of the Tempest)
Patty: Mithos (Tales of Symphonia)

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-25 15:52:13 Reply

At 11/24/09 09:10 AM, Corky-D wrote: Going over a few screens from Dragon Age, I have only noticed just now that it seems rather much like an MMORPG. Not that it bothers me that much, I guess it would take a bit getting used to though.

I believe it's only the interface that's like an MMO.

Other than that, it seems like the standard turn-based affair that you see in most Bioware games.

BBS Signature
DizzeeRascal
DizzeeRascal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-25 16:09:10 Reply

At 11/25/09 03:52 PM, Aigis wrote:
Other than that, it seems like the standard turn-based affair that you see in most Bioware games.

According to the official website it's real time, which is a relief for me, as I'm not a huge fan of turn based games.

Does anyone have dragon age yet? I really like the look of it, and I'd like to hear from someone who's played it whether all the hype is true.

he's jus' a rascal...

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-25 19:11:49 Reply

At 11/25/09 04:09 PM, DizzeeRascal wrote: According to the official website it's real time, which is a relief for me, as I'm not a huge fan of turn based games.

I assume it's real-time in the same way KOTOR is real-time, and in the same way Baldur's Gate is real-time.

Where it looks like it's real time, but in actual fact everyone is taking turns.

BBS Signature
Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to RPG club 2009-11-25 20:43:52 Reply

At 11/25/09 07:11 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 11/25/09 04:09 PM, DizzeeRascal wrote: According to the official website it's real time, which is a relief for me, as I'm not a huge fan of turn based games.
I assume it's real-time in the same way KOTOR is real-time, and in the same way Baldur's Gate is real-time.

Where it looks like it's real time, but in actual fact everyone is taking turns.

Not quite.

It is real time, but you can pause and select actions to take.
Then again, I haven't played KOTOR or Baldur's Gate.

BBS Signature
ikool
ikool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to RPG club 2009-11-26 01:21:12 Reply

At 11/25/09 08:38 AM, knuxrouge wrote: The latest Tales of Graces commercial.

Damn... If only there were subs... It would have made my day...

At least the video shows that Sophie isn't a depressed little girl... That made it all worthwhile to watch :D

I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons. ~ SolidToad

BBS Signature
Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to RPG club 2009-11-26 05:34:53 Reply

I just noticed that we haven't had any talk on Final Fantasy 13, how come?

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-26 05:52:01 Reply

At 11/26/09 05:34 AM, Corky-D wrote: I just noticed that we haven't had any talk on Final Fantasy 13, how come?

Because it's so obvious that Final Fantasy XIII will be great that there's nothing to discuss about it.

Unless you want a club full of people going:
"Final Fantasy XIII will be so great."
"How great will it be?"
"Probably pretty great. I mean, Square haven't let me down so far with regards to single player Final Fantasy games in the main series. Sure there have been a couple that weren't quite so good, but that's only compared to other Final Fantasies and they are still very good games in their own right."

There's very little that's going to persuade me from buying it as soon as I can. I'm confident enough that I'll like it that I haven't even bothered to read anything about it.

BBS Signature
Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to RPG club 2009-11-26 07:29:50 Reply

At 11/26/09 05:52 AM, Aigis wrote: Because it's so obvious that Final Fantasy XIII will be great that there's nothing to discuss about it.

Unless you want a club full of people going:
"Final Fantasy XIII will be so great."
"How great will it be?"
"Probably pretty great. I mean, Square haven't let me down so far with regards to single player Final Fantasy games in the main series. Sure there have been a couple that weren't quite so good, but that's only compared to other Final Fantasies and they are still very good games in their own right."

There's very little that's going to persuade me from buying it as soon as I can. I'm confident enough that I'll like it that I haven't even bothered to read anything about it.

True.
Talking about it would be pointless until it actually gets released.
Even then the discussion would end with everyone agreeing that it's the holy grail.

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-26 10:02:53 Reply

I actually don't care for FFXIII, as I've never cared about the franchise in general.
Graces has all my nerd juices right now.

Does that mean I'm not going to buy/play it?
50/50, I might get it, but it's in no way a priority on my 2010 list.

However, I have a friend who used to be a huge FF fan until he was betrayed by FF 8, 9, 10, and 10-2 and by then gave up, he's hoping this will restore the arguably shattered name of Final Fantasy.

BBS Signature
DizzeeRascal
DizzeeRascal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-26 11:50:16 Reply

At 11/25/09 08:43 PM, Corky-D wrote:
At 11/25/09 07:11 PM, Aigis wrote:

Not quite.

It is real time, but you can pause and select actions to take.
Then again, I haven't played KOTOR or Baldur's Gate.

Excellent news. Not that I don't like KOTOR, which has to be one of my favourite ever games, but when real time RPGs are well exxecuted, they always seem to be more enjpyable than turn based ones.

he's jus' a rascal...

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-26 16:38:24 Reply

At 11/26/09 10:02 AM, knuxrouge wrote: I actually don't care for FFXIII, as I've never cared about the franchise in general.

I've never quite understood how people can like JRPGs but not like Final Fantasy.

I mean, JRPGs are all fundamentally the same.

But the Final Fantasy series seems to be one of the only series in JRPGs that tries anything particularly interesting with the storyline.

At 11/26/09 10:02 AM, knuxrouge wrote: However, I have a friend who used to be a huge FF fan until he was betrayed by FF 8, 9, 10, and 10-2 and by then gave up, he's hoping this will restore the arguably shattered name of Final Fantasy.

Wait, he liked Final Fantasy VII and then didn't like the later ones?

I thought that when it came to hating the later entries in the series, people only did that when they thought it stopped being good at FFVI.

I'd expect that if he didn't like the 3D Final Fantasies, he probably won't like Final Fantasy XIII. As far as I can tell, Final Fantasy XIII is just going to be another extension of what they've been trying to do with the series in the post-SNES era.

BBS Signature
ikool
ikool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to RPG club 2009-11-26 23:17:32 Reply

At 11/26/09 04:38 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 11/26/09 10:02 AM, knuxrouge wrote: I actually don't care for FFXIII, as I've never cared about the franchise in general.
I've never quite understood how people can like JRPGs but not like Final Fantasy.

For me, it's the battle system. I love the story, the character customization, etc, but I find the battle system to be kind of boring... I find it too slow-paced and grinding seems to take forever.

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-27 00:02:24 Reply

At 11/26/09 11:17 PM, ikool wrote: For me, it's the battle system. I love the story, the character customization, etc, but I find the battle system to be kind of boring... I find it too slow-paced and grinding seems to take forever.

I don't think I've ever played a Final Fantasy game where I've felt the need to grind to finish the main story.

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-27 17:10:53 Reply

At 11/26/09 03:26 PM, Mendou wrote:
At 11/26/09 10:02 AM, knuxrouge wrote: However, I have a friend who used to be a huge FF fan until he was betrayed by FF 8, 9, 10, and 10-2
Why would he feel betrayed? Those are the best ones, the early FF games are boring.

They are the best ones, to you.
He hated them, especially 9-10/2, 8 he can live with.

At 11/26/09 04:38 PM, Aigis wrote:

You don't quite understand how people can have opinions on something?
How does that make sense?
I don't care for the series.
I've played FF I, II, V, VII, VIII, Tactics and X.
I, II, V and VII were all boring to me, and I couldn't get into the groove of the battle system.
Tactics is a really good game, but one good game isn't going to get me to invest in the series.
I hate X, I should never need to whip out an FAQ to play an RPG for the first time, it came to a point where I was stuck underleveled and there wasn't any way to fix my predicament since that fucking retard level system kept me from progressing, since leveling up is ironically useless.

It doesn't make sense to say, "I don't know how anyone can like shooters and not like Halo", that's basically denying anyone's chance at having a different opinion, you may not have meant it like that, but that's why that line was really ignorant.

I mean, JRPGs are all fundamentally the same.

That's your opinion and I acknowledge it.
But I do not agree with nor respect it. That's too shallow.

But the Final Fantasy series seems to be one of the only series in JRPGs that tries anything particularly interesting with the storyline.

You can't say that for sure if you've never gotten into many other series.

At 11/26/09 10:02 AM, knuxrouge wrote: However, I have a friend who used to be a huge FF fan until he was betrayed by FF 8, 9, 10, and 10-2 and by then gave up, he's hoping this will restore the arguably shattered name of Final Fantasy.
Wait, he liked Final Fantasy VII and then didn't like the later ones?
I thought that when it came to hating the later entries in the series, people only did that when they thought it stopped being good at FFVI.

"Personal preference" really is an alien term to you huh?
Everything has to follow a general consensus?
Okay....

Anyways.
Tales of Updates

The Tales of Graces Official Site has been updated today with new character videos for Sophie, Malik Caesars and Pascal as well as three new wallpapers of Asbel Lhant, Sophie and Hubert Ozwell. The official site's video section has also been updated with streaming of the previously shown TV commercials of the game.

In Sophie's video, we see her wondering about why she is there and what she was doing before meeting Asbel. This is most probably at the beginning of the game, when Sophie supposedly helps Asbel fend off Fendel's troops. In Malik's video, we see him talking to Asbel. In Pascal's video, we see her and the rest examining a Fire Criath together with a new character, (fuurie). I've searched around, and the main romanization I saw for this name is "Fourier", with the name possibly based on this person's name.

BBS Signature
wethead77
wethead77
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-27 19:51:11 Reply

May I join?

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-27 22:23:47 Reply

At 11/27/09 05:10 PM, knuxrouge wrote: I hate X, I should never need to whip out an FAQ to play an RPG for the first time, it came to a point where I was stuck underleveled and there wasn't any way to fix my predicament since that fucking retard level system kept me from progressing, since leveling up is ironically useless.

What's retarded about the level system?

I thought it was pretty good. It gave an easy path for each character to follow, but it also allowed for customisation with the characters (e.g. you could put Lulu on Auron's path and have her little toys do ridiculous damage). It was a good middle ground.

It doesn't make sense to say, "I don't know how anyone can like shooters and not like Halo", that's basically denying anyone's chance at having a different opinion, you may not have meant it like that, but that's why that line was really ignorant.

I actually don't know how anyone can like shooters and not like Halo. Shooters are even more similar than JRPGs. Halo was a reasonably well crafted one.

That's your opinion and I acknowledge it.
But I do not agree with nor respect it. That's too shallow.

It is a genre that has seen very little innovation.

You can't say that for sure if you've never gotten into many other series.

Oh, I've gotten into a lot of other series.

I'm a huge JRPG fan.

They're my favourite type of game.

"Personal preference" really is an alien term to you huh?
Everything has to follow a general consensus?
Okay....

It's just odd, is all. I don't know how one can like FFVII and feel betrayed by, say, FFX. I don't know what was so much different about the two that made him feel that way.

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-28 08:38:31 Reply

At 11/27/09 10:23 PM, Aigis wrote: It's just odd, is all. I don't know how one can like FFVII and feel betrayed by, say, FFX. I don't know what was so much different about the two that made him feel that way.

There's a huge difference between 7 and 10, I mean, do I need to explain them?
You yourself said that the Final Fantasy series is (debatable) notable for it's innovation.

The leveling system is useless to me, because the leveling up doesn't do anything, you have to customize your character from the ground up.
With that system, leveling up serves no purpose.
If it did, I would have gotten past Sin without direly requiring a level 3 key sphere.

At 11/27/09 10:32 PM, Mendou wrote: Yes

And that's fine.

I can understand not liking 8 very much. But why 9 in particular? it's not like they did anything drastic to the battle system, and the characters are interesting enough to feel involved in the games story. Really it was like a tribute to the older ones with it's setting and style.

He hated the story, the length of it (considering it's a 4 disc game) and the character designs.

But you're right, that's just my personal opinion.

And so, we grow.

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-28 17:21:44 Reply

At 11/28/09 08:38 AM, knuxrouge wrote: The leveling system is useless to me, because the leveling up doesn't do anything, you have to customize your character from the ground up.

I take it you're not a big fan of Western RPGs either.

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-28 20:44:10 Reply

At 11/28/09 05:21 PM, Aigis wrote: I take it you're not a big fan of Western RPGs either.

I've never played one, so I can't really establish an opinion on them, but I can tell you that I don't care to play any of them.

However, you may have missed my peeve in that it wasn't the fact that you had to customize your character, it was the fact that that's where the development of the character solely came from, hence making leveling up nothing but a neat decoration.

Plus it was unpolished as it was the skill system (and lack of useful gain in leveling up) which forced me in one spot in FFX that eventually led me to just saying, "Fuck it I'm not playing this game".

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-28 23:07:02 Reply

At 11/28/09 08:44 PM, knuxrouge wrote: I've never played one, so I can't really establish an opinion on them, but I can tell you that I don't care to play any of them.

Why not?

However, you may have missed my peeve in that it wasn't the fact that you had to customize your character, it was the fact that that's where the development of the character solely came from, hence making leveling up nothing but a neat decoration.

Levelling up does the exact same thing as it does in any other RPG.

It makes your character stronger.

Only you get a bit of choice as to what way it makes your character stronger.

I don't see any problem with giving a bit of control to the player.

Even if you don't want any control, each character has their own set path they can go on. It's just a matter of going into the menu and moving them along this path when you get ability points.

Plus it was unpolished as it was the skill system (and lack of useful gain in leveling up) which forced me in one spot in FFX that eventually led me to just saying, "Fuck it I'm not playing this game".

I'll just tell you one thing:

My mother, who has never played video games before, has recently started playing this game.

She has had no trouble with the sphere grid.

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-29 07:19:07 Reply

At 11/28/09 11:07 PM, Aigis wrote: Why not?

They never interested me.

Levelling up does the exact same thing as it does in any other RPG.

It makes your character stronger.

Only you get a bit of choice as to what way it makes your character stronger.

I don't see any problem with giving a bit of control to the player.

Even if you don't want any control, each character has their own set path they can go on. It's just a matter of going into the menu and moving them along this path when you get ability points.

Again, you misunderstand, dammit.
The customization wasn't the problem, it was the fact that leveling up did nothing.
They shouldn't have even put in a leveling system in the game if it was all customization. It was just about as much as a decoration as it was FFVIII.

My mother, who has never played video games before, has recently started playing this game.

She has had no trouble with the sphere grid.

I guess that's some sort of insult?
That's good for your mom, no really, I'm ecstatic for her. But I honestly, legitimately, don't give a fuck who didn't have problems with the sphere grid, because I wasn't one of those people. I really couldn't have helped that throughout all my battles, no enemy dropped a Lv 3 key sphere-ever-, which was what I needed more than anything.

I spent weeks looking for an enemy to find one off of, and to no avail. I spent almost a whole month, fighting enemies that my friends swore up and down dropped these things. Fuck Final Fantasy X, if you like it, fine, but it's garbage in my eyes.

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-29 15:28:58 Reply

At 11/29/09 07:19 AM, knuxrouge wrote: Again, you misunderstand, dammit.
The customization wasn't the problem, it was the fact that leveling up did nothing.
They shouldn't have even put in a leveling system in the game if it was all customization. It was just about as much as a decoration as it was FFVIII.

Then I still misunderstand.

What the hell do you mean 'leveling up does nothing'?

Levelling up does everything.

I really couldn't have helped that throughout all my battles, no enemy dropped a Lv 3 key sphere-ever-, which was what I needed more than anything.

"Level 3 Key Spheres are dropped by Defender Z (Zanarkand Ruins), Behemoth King (Inside Sin), Demonolith (Inside Sin), Machea (Omega Ruins). You can also Bribe Demonolith (Inside Sin, 900,000 gil for 40). They can be found in a chest in the Zanarkand Ruins Dome: Interior, and in a chest in Inside Sin: Sea of Sorrow. It's also the first prize in the Chocobo Minigame, and you have a chance at getting them in a chest in Omega Ruins."

What did you need a level 3 key sphere for anyway?

BBS Signature
knuxrouge
knuxrouge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to RPG club 2009-11-29 15:34:40 Reply

At 11/29/09 03:28 PM, Aigis wrote: What the hell do you mean 'leveling up does nothing'?

Levelling up does everything.

You gained nothing from leveling up, because everything was acquired through customization.

"Level 3 Key Spheres are dropped by Defender Z (Zanarkand Ruins), Behemoth King (Inside Sin), Demonolith (Inside Sin), Machea (Omega Ruins). You can also Bribe Demonolith (Inside Sin, 900,000 gil for 40). They can be found in a chest in the Zanarkand Ruins Dome: Interior, and in a chest in Inside Sin: Sea of Sorrow. It's also the first prize in the Chocobo Minigame, and you have a chance at getting them in a chest in Omega Ruins."

Oh that's so informative 4 years after I gave up on the game, besides, I knew who to look for, that doesn't mean they gave me what I wanted.
What was the point of tell me?

What did you need a level 3 key sphere for anyway?

Don't recall specifically, but I couldn't get any further on the grid without a key sphere and I needed to do more damage in that fight with Sin where you literally had a 5 turn time limit.

But why does it matter, I've given up on the game, which was 4 years ago--and even if I was to get back into it (fat chance), I don't own the game, nor do I own a PS2.

BBS Signature
Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to RPG club 2009-11-29 15:49:45 Reply

At 11/29/09 03:34 PM, knuxrouge wrote: You gained nothing from leveling up, because everything was acquired through customization.

Yeah, but you can only customise your characters by levelling up.

Levelling up allows you to customise your characters.

Don't recall specifically, but I couldn't get any further on the grid without a key sphere and I needed to do more damage in that fight with Sin where you literally had a 5 turn time limit.

Yeah, that fight was a bitch.

BBS Signature
ikool
ikool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to RPG club 2009-11-29 16:30:06 Reply

I am just hating waiting for ToG... To pass the time, I started a low level game on Mario & Luigi 3 to get the alternative ending... Also, I went back to my old file on Secret of Mana... And found out that I have no clue on where to go next. I hate that when you leave off a RPG for such a long time, you have no idea where to go next.

BBS Signature
Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to RPG club 2009-11-29 18:04:28 Reply

At 11/29/09 04:30 PM, ikool wrote: I am just hating waiting for ToG... To pass the time, I started a low level game on Mario & Luigi 3 to get the alternative ending... Also, I went back to my old file on Secret of Mana... And found out that I have no clue on where to go next. I hate that when you leave off a RPG for such a long time, you have no idea where to go next.

I played Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals sometime ago, didn't know where I was exactly. I started a new game only to find out later that I had nearly completed the game. Oh well.

BBS Signature