00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

RPG club

719,510 Views | 21,492 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to RPG club 2009-12-08 06:44:27

After four weeks of waiting, my Asian copy of Dragon Age: Origins finally arrived at my doorstep.

First of all, I was very glad to learn it actually works on my PAL Xbox. Secondly, it seems like a pretty good game.

I started off the game as a rogue Dalish elf (after spending ages having fun with the character creator). And just to be authentic, I decided that I would make my character use bows (if I'm playing a LotR ripoff, I might as well play a LotR ripoff).

The first thing I noticed was the rather drab visuals. To some degree I understand making a washed out world in first person shooters, but why in an RPG? An RPG is supposed to make you want to explore its world, and I don't get particularly excited about the prospect of a perpetual overcast.

The origin story I played wasn't really a revelation. It boiled down to "Go into a cave, find a mirror, wake up two days later, find the mirror again, join the Grey Wardens". I was expecting something amazing considering how the origin stories were hyped up, but it was a decent enough introduction. The dialogue is pretty good and the voice acting is alright, though the characters all have that uncanny valley quality to them so common in modern RPGs. I have taken a bit of an interest in actually reading the extensive library catalogue the game seems to collect on every person, place, animal and item, which are all reasonably well written.

The gameplay was exactly what I expected: incomprehensible to me. I've never been a big fan of PC RPGs so I've not had much practice in the ways of stat building. I spent ages in the character creation trying to figure out which statistics went where and what I wanted to do with my character. I've never much liked that you have to choose exactly what you want your character to be before you even get a chance to play the game in this sort of RPG.

Apparently the archer tends to get better as the game goes along. As it stands, I've spent all my battles running away from things. It's just my attempt at trying a character class that involves more than just rushing towards a monster and beating it to death.

I've only played for about an hour and a half, but so far I'm not regretting my purchase. It looks like a fun game, and possibly the most extensively catalogued world I have ever seen outside of Lord of the Rings.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-10 14:26:15

Tales of Updates

Tales of Graces has been released in Japan today.
That is all.

what happened to this place?

Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-10 22:57:31

At 12/10/09 02:26 PM, knuxrouge wrote: Tales of Updates

Tales of Graces has been released in Japan today.
That is all.

AND I JIZZ IN MY PANTS.
In other news, this game better get here fast. My wii has been dying for the last couple of months... I've been playing Gamecube games for the longest time...

I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons. ~ SolidToad

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-22 12:03:59

I'd like to join I've been playing a lot of RPG's lately.

Also has anyone here played Earthbound or Mother 3?

Response to RPG club 2009-12-22 14:32:02

At 12/22/09 12:03 PM, fox4729 wrote: I'd like to join I've been playing a lot of RPG's lately.

Also has anyone here played Earthbound or Mother 3?

Not a big fan of Earthbound, but I was thinking of starting up the patched version of Mother 3...

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-22 19:58:18

sign me up :P

I CAN HAZ MUFFIN

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-22 22:11:38

Can I join too? I like the Tales Series, Final Fantasy, Chrono, Dragon Quest, etc.

Response to RPG club 2009-12-22 22:59:56

At 12/22/09 10:11 PM, Zuproc wrote: Can I join too? I like the Tales Series.

What's your favorite.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-22 23:29:44

I'll join. I'm a fan of Earthbound and Final Fantasy 7-9

Yo.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-23 19:39:21

Vampires The Masquerade: BLOODLINES

One of the best RPG's ever made. Ever.

Metal Hell | Industrial Crew | The Grindcore Gore Pit

Theirs only ONE "Hell Hammer", and it isn't a band... It's a drummer.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-24 02:11:44

At 12/23/09 07:39 PM, Attactivist wrote: Vampires The Masquerade: BLOODLINES

One of the best RPG's ever made. Ever.

Thought it was pretty average.

It was too awkward and bug-ridden to be a good game.

And then there was that weird fascination with lesbianism the game has.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-24 06:07:54

At 12/6/09 04:32 PM, Aigis wrote: FFXI - Fuck FFXI.

FFXIII - Looking forward to it.

That was a lot of text.

I heard something on X-Play about pre-ordering Final Fantasy XIII to get into the beta of Final Fantasy XIV, which will apparently be an MMO just like FFXI. It was in a Japanese gaming magazine, so there's no telling whether the US market will follow suit.

Jack of all trades, Master of none

Head Scientist of NG Mafia

& proud member of Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-24 16:14:46

At 12/24/09 06:07 AM, MrTrivia wrote: I heard something on X-Play about pre-ordering Final Fantasy XIII to get into the beta of Final Fantasy XIV, which will apparently be an MMO just like FFXI. It was in a Japanese gaming magazine, so there's no telling whether the US market will follow suit.

I think I recall seeing the same thing on X-Play...
Has Final Fantasy completely moved out of turn-based battle and moved on that real-time stuff? I haven't played the later FFs yet...

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2009-12-26 06:27:51

At 12/24/09 04:14 PM, ikool wrote: Has Final Fantasy completely moved out of turn-based battle and moved on that real-time stuff? I haven't played the later FFs yet...

Final Fantasy Versus XIII should be an action RPG, but the main Final Fantasy XIII promises to be very much a turn-based affair.

Although, I believe there are combos of some sort in Final Fantasy XIII.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-01-23 01:25:49

Tales of Updates

News on Tales of Graces being confirmed for a Europe release have been floating around for a few days now, and this scan from The Official Nintendo Magazine somewhat confirms this (courtesy of tylerx27 from GameFAQs). According to the scan, Tales of Graces will be released in Europe on Summer 2010.

However, we still don't have any news on a US release. I hope they're not thinking of leaving the NA audience out on all the hype...

RPG club

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-01-24 12:39:26

Heyo can I joino? I've been screwing around with RPGs so this is just great for me.

Hey, I'm Jonathan. Call me Jonny. I have a computer. You probably don't.

Oh no, up is falling down!

Xbox Live: F1rst Play3r

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-01-24 13:19:06

Have any of you played Infinite Undiscovery yet? Despite the ridiculously dumb name, it is really great. The real time combat makes it superb, but the game has terrible voice syncing issues.

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

Response to RPG club 2010-01-24 18:47:26

At 1/23/10 01:25 AM, knuxrouge wrote: Tales of Updates
However, we still don't have any news on a US release. I hope they're not thinking of leaving the NA audience out on all the hype...

Seeing both Tales of Graces and Rise Arc Fantasia is making me wish that I had the money for both...

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-01-25 04:37:13

To be honest, I'm pretty hyped for Arc Rise Fantasia myself. I saw it in a GI mag and it looked really interesting.

All this stiff stuff about innovation and what not, it'll be good to get my hands on an old fashioned generic turn based anime-esque jrpg.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-01-25 06:39:21

So, Mass Effect 2 comes out very soon. Is anyone else excited about it?

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-01-25 23:56:02

A friend of mine is fucking psyched!!!

menotsomuch

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-01-27 21:12:41

At 1/25/10 06:39 AM, Aigis wrote: So, Mass Effect 2 comes out very soon. Is anyone else excited about it?

I know the saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover," but I picked up my pre-ordered copy of Mass Effect 2 today and did a little side-by-side comparison to the original: It went from the perfect illustration of a Space Opera to a picture of Shepard, Lemon-Face, and the chick from "House M.D." A columnist for The Escapist suggests that EA is trying to appeal more to fans of the Shooter genre than to RPG lovers.
Besides, I've found a Role-Playing Shooter I enjoy; Borderlands. It may not have space elevators, but it has online co-op. Also, the cartoony graphic style helps keep it light and fun - I could only play Fallout 3 for a couple of hours at a time before the realistic depiction of post-apocalyptic DC got a little depressing.

Jack of all trades, Master of none

Head Scientist of NG Mafia

& proud member of Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-01-27 23:25:52

Can I join!? I LOVE RPGs!!! Name one and I either like it or would if I had played it. I especially like strategy RPGs, like Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics. BTW, when did they make a new Tales game? I haven't heard anything about it. Also, that article said that Dawn of the New World was disappointing. I actually liked it.

I need to stop rambling.

Response to RPG club 2010-01-28 08:10:06

At 1/27/10 09:12 PM, MrTrivia wrote: Besides, I've found a Role-Playing Shooter I enjoy; Borderlands.

I have not bought that game because it seems to remove everything I like about the RPG genre.

Most importantly, the story.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-01-28 14:53:03

At 1/28/10 08:10 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 1/27/10 09:12 PM, MrTrivia wrote: Besides, I've found a Role-Playing Shooter I enjoy; Borderlands.
I have not bought that game because it seems to remove everything I like about the RPG genre.

Most importantly, the story.

Story may be good, but overall, the addition of the RPG elements makes the game really good. It doesn't really need story to make it better.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-02-06 21:04:58

At 1/25/10 06:39 AM, Aigis wrote: So, Mass Effect 2 comes out very soon. Is anyone else excited about it?

Bought it. Loved it. Beat it twice. However, it's not as much as an RPG as Mass Effect 1 was. There's less customization, less armor types, less weapons, mods, everything. The RPG part of it has been simplified too much for me, and it's a bit too focused on the action. That said, it's still much better than Mass Effect 1, and it was cool to see how personal decisions changed the entire complexion of the galaxy.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-02-15 03:41:45

I love every Mario RPG game. I will talk about anyone of them in great detail.

Any of you guys hardcore fans like me?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-02-15 16:39:47

i would love to join im a fan of all the final fantasys (bar X-2, that was a little to girl power for me.) i also have played many an mmorpg, normal rpg and have the RPG maker XP game on my computer. i would publish a game on here, but i caught 42 viruses lol... there goes blackflame pheonix...

anyway, would love to join.

look, theres 3 ways to fight.

shoot somthin, shoot more stuff, blow the hell out of even more stuff with so much dakka its unreal. i like the 3rd one best.

Response to RPG club 2010-02-17 16:58:40

At 2/15/10 03:41 AM, puddinN64 wrote: I love every Mario RPG game. I will talk about anyone of them in great detail.

Any of you guys hardcore fans like me?

That would be me. Mario RPGs are what I'm here for.

BBS Signature

Response to RPG club 2010-02-18 03:24:00

(Signs the club roster indiscreetly)

Can anyone recommend some good RPGs these days? I'm not asking objectively, I honestly don't know what's out there anymore, preferably anything for a Playstation console since that's all I have right now. Right now I've been playing old Final Fantasies again and again.

I would punch him in the face.