Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 07:07 PM Reply

I just finished Madoka and it was super cool is there anything else like that you guys can recommend me?

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Oct. 25th, 2012 @ 09:58 PM Reply

At 10/21/12 09:14 AM, Jackho wrote: Anyone know of any good sites for buying (physical) manga or anime DVDs? Amazon and ebay are terrible even for the most mainstream stuff.

This site, maybe.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 12:55 AM Reply

At 10/25/12 07:07 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I just finished Madoka and it was super cool is there anything else like that you guys can recommend me?

Divergence Eve.

Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 07:53 PM Reply

I've been kinda slow with my anime. I can't seem to find any good series on Neflix and the ones I usually watch are all series so those can take a while.

Any suggestions?

I have a penis

BBS Signature
TehFayth
TehFayth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Voice Actor
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:44 AM Reply

Any suggestions of Anime that are just as funny/sad like Angel Beats! or Rosario + Vampire? (Considering R+V is just fanservice, it's got an alright plot.)

Keep the faith.

TehFayth
TehFayth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Voice Actor
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:46 AM Reply

At 10/26/12 07:53 PM, Wegra wrote: I've been kinda slow with my anime. I can't seem to find any good series on Neflix and the ones I usually watch are all series so those can take a while.

Any suggestions?

Angel Beats! (DEFINITELY my personal favorite)
Air Gear
Rosario + Vampire (Fanservice, but still good/funny)
High School of the Dead (MAJOR NSFW FANSERVICE)
Clannad ~After Story~ (Will make you cry.)

Keep the faith.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 01:44 AM, TehFayth wrote: Any suggestions of Anime that are just as funny/sad like Angel Beats!

Baccano, I guess. It's on Netflix.

Since it's that time of year, anyone have any horror recommendations?

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 04:00 PM Reply

Has anyone been watching Sword Art Online?

I was enjoying it but then I got to I think episode 11 or 12 and now it's just so uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I hope it gets better.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 06:02 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 03:20 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 10/28/12 01:44 AM, TehFayth wrote: Any suggestions of Anime that are just as funny/sad like Angel Beats!
Baccano, I guess. It's on Netflix.

Since it's that time of year, anyone have any horror recommendations?

I can't think of much in the way of actual straight up horror as far as anime goes, but I can recommend some anime that's fitting for Halloween.

There is one horror that I strongly recommend, though, and that's Hundred Stories. It's fantastic and has a great, unique art style. Also, the first story arc of Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror is definitely a good horror story. I don't think the other two arcs really count as horror, though, but they're pretty good. The last one became its own series called Mononoke.

Anyway, here are some horror and/or "Halloweeny" type animes.

Hellsing Ultimate
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Blood: the Last Vampire
Paranoia Agent
Hell Girl (only saw one episode, but it seems quite good)

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 06:31 PM Reply

Hey guys, I've watched some entry-level anime, Deathnote, FMA(+Brotherhood), Cowboy Bebop, Naruto(+shippuden), DBZ, Elfen Lied, Code Geass, FMP, Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, Bleach, One Piece and maybe a few others I can't remember

I'm looking for something a little more serious now, any suggestions?

Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 06:31 PM, Innermike wrote: I'm looking for something a little more serious now, any suggestions?

serious, eh?

Hundred Stories
Boogiepop Phantom
Darker Than Black
Ayakashi: Classic Japanese Horror
Mononoke (no, not Princess Mononoke, though that is fantastic)

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 07:47 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 06:31 PM, Innermike wrote: Hey guys, I've watched some entry-level anime, Deathnote, FMA(+Brotherhood), Cowboy Bebop, Naruto(+shippuden), DBZ, Elfen Lied, Code Geass, FMP, Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, Bleach, One Piece and maybe a few others I can't remember

More serious huh? Monster's pretty good, give that a go. A thriller about a doctor who choses to save the life of a child instead of the mayor, and... well, just watch it.

Planetes is a pretty great hard (realistic) sci-fi/slice of life about people clearing up space junk in low-earth orbit in the near future, gets pretty awesome and keeps it realistic in regards to how they live up there (ie momentum, gravity etc etc).

Uhh, what else. Perfect Blue is just a movie but it's a fantastic psychological thriller. Think Black Swan but thirteen years earlier.

If you're up for something long, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a grand space opera depicting a war between the empire + rebels from both sides, it's hard to get over just how glorious it is but just fucking watch it.

Gunbuster is one of my favourite OVAs, it's gainax (evangelion, flcl, gurren lagann)'s first anime afaik, absolutely superb. 6 long episodes.

In fact since you've listed none of those, watch Neon Genesis Envagelion (psychological mecha), FLCL (slice of life comedy action thing), and gurren lagann (comedy/mecha).

If you want something a bit slower and more chilled, watch Mushishi, it's a laid back anime about a spiritual doctor. Great shit right there.

That'll do for the moment.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 08:11 PM Reply

Yes, Perfect Blue is fantastic.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 07:47 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 10/28/12 06:31 PM, Innermike wrote: Hey guys, I've watched some entry-level anime, Deathnote, FMA(+Brotherhood), Cowboy Bebop, Naruto(+shippuden), DBZ, Elfen Lied, Code Geass, FMP, Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, Bleach, One Piece and maybe a few others I can't remember

More serious huh? Monster's pretty good, give that a go. A thriller about a doctor who choses to save the life of a child instead of the mayor, and... well, just watch it.

Oh yeah monster, started that, seemed really promising until about ep 30 I think when they started the whole orphanage backstory stuff, it really lost steam for me then, does it pick up much after that or does it just decline ala death note?

Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 09:10 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 08:25 PM, Innermike wrote:
At 10/28/12 07:47 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:

Oh yeah monster, started that, seemed really promising until about ep 30 I think when they started the whole orphanage backstory stuff, it really lost steam for me then, does it pick up much after that or does it just decline ala death note?

I've only read the manga, though I hear it's pretty similar to the anime. (Unrelatedly check out the manga 20th century boys by the same author, it's excellent.) In the manga it still performed well after that backstory, the last volume or two were a bit odd perhaps, but it ended very strongly. I'd definitely recommend giving it another shot if you have the time

LLStarks
LLStarks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 03:10 PM Reply

Here are my recs for the Fall 2012 anime season.

Chuunibyou (8th Grade STD)
Shinsekai Yori (From the New World)
PSYCHO-PASS

Founder of the Newgrounds Anime Club

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 03:13 PM Reply

at this point im just watching whatever toonami has to offer.
i like samurai 7, cashern sin is confusing, i like eureka 7 despite knowing nothing, and as for bleach i ask "who are these people?"

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:56 AM Reply

Any of you guys seen this yet? I remember hearing about a Kenshin film a while ago but it's nice to see some footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hc4DR yRKKW4

Finally got a replacement charger for my laptop so I can watch anime from my HDD.

towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:16 AM Reply

At 11/3/12 09:56 AM, towelie101 wrote: Any of you guys seen this yet? I remember hearing about a Kenshin film a while ago but it's nice to see some footage.

Fuck have I been living under a rock. It came out two months ago in summer (well, winter for the Japanese) but I really hope it gets a US/international release. The staff themselves said they'd like to release it internationally but there hasn't been much more news besides that; nonetheless, I'm hopeful. I'd definitely pay to see it in theaters because it looks great.

Wonko-the-Sane
Wonko-the-Sane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 06:05 PM Reply

So I've been watching Dragon Ball Kai lately (because Dragonball Z is nostalgic for me) and I got to thinking about some of the lessons the Dragonball series teaches, such as "hard work pays off, but people with natural sill are going to have a head start." Granted this is a show aimed at younger boys, so it's fairly obvious about this, but I thought maybe we could get a discussion going about the morality and ethics of various anime. At the very least it's a break from the tedium of "I watched (insert anime here) what else should I watch?"

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 10:31 PM Reply

At 11/4/12 06:05 PM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote: So I've been watching Dragon Ball Kai lately (because Dragonball Z is nostalgic for me) and I got to thinking about some of the lessons the Dragonball series teaches, such as "hard work pays off, but people with natural sill are going to have a head start." Granted this is a show aimed at younger boys, so it's fairly obvious about this, but I thought maybe we could get a discussion going about the morality and ethics of various anime.

I usually take shit at face value when it comes to anime, but some anime I've watched have multiple 'layers' that I can notice.

Most of the Gundam series I've seen (both Seed series, 00, G) are usually black-and-white with no in-betweens. There are bad guys and good guys, that's it. Durandal and Master Asia were the most interesting of the bunch and not just batshit crazy like Rau or the Trinity siblings.

LoGH is the best in this regard because it's not just that -- the characters actually seem 'real.'

RandomRoarness
RandomRoarness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 04:47 AM Reply

At 11/4/12 06:05 PM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote: So I've been watching Dragon Ball Kai lately (because Dragonball Z is nostalgic for me) and I got to thinking about some of the lessons the Dragonball series teaches, such as "hard work pays off, but people with natural sill are going to have a head start." Granted this is a show aimed at younger boys, so it's fairly obvious about this, but I thought maybe we could get a discussion going about the morality and ethics of various anime. At the very least it's a break from the tedium of "I watched (insert anime here) what else should I watch?"

Fooly Cooly has a nice message in it's 6 episode of a series. I found the message to say "It's okay to take your time to grow up, and keep things at your pace". Overall the anime is very symbolic and watching the show one or two times did no justice. More of everything you go rewatch it, you find out a little bit more here and there.

happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature
HappyEndings
HappyEndings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 08:19 PM Reply

Ghost In The Shell
Ergo Proxy
Neon Genesis

I'm a strong, Independent hentai artist who don't need no man in my life.

Mmmhmm.

Kisuke
Kisuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 02:05 AM Reply

At 10/8/12 08:02 PM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote: Boo.

8/10
Great Effort

haha
It's not that I lost interest in anime, but that I lost interest in this club, as others have stated, if you hang around in this thread for too long it gets stagnant. Well actually, I have kinda lost interest in anime because nothing recent seems interesting to me. Most of the newer stuff I hear about seems aimed at younger girls.

I lost interest in both for a long while. This club mostly just due to the lack of diversity. Mendou has talked to me in the past about getting involved with the community of MyAnimeList and I've thought about it. Thought about dipping my toes into BakaBTs community but I've been glancing and some members are a bit over bearing like a good lot of the members of this club were in their youth.

Actually got back into anime for the most part thanks to Hajime no Ippo. I watched both series, the OVA, and the movie. Might pick up the manga too(shit, probably will). Got caught up with Hellsing Ultimate last night and started Yakitate Japan! after years of wanting to see it.

Watched the Rurouni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc as well. The storyline differs from the original anime and overall... the character animation is poor. Comparing the background art to the character animation is like a flawed cut diamond to a fresh puddle of crap. The backgrounds are gorgeous and the character animations really help to support my opinion on the animation.

At 11/4/12 06:05 PM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote: So I've been watching Dragon Ball Kai lately (because Dragonball Z is nostalgic for me) and I got to thinking about some of the lessons the Dragonball series teaches, such as "hard work pays off, but people with natural sill are going to have a head start."

The 'Natural Skill VS Hard Work' debate sometimes makes people disheartened about trying something new. Just the fact of the matter that if you keep at something it's going to pay off sooner or later. Just depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into it.

Granted this is a show aimed at younger boys, so it's fairly obvious about this, but I thought maybe we could get a discussion going about the morality and ethics of various anime. At the very least it's a break from the tedium of "I watched (insert anime here) what else should I watch?"

If you think about it most shounens are like that though: Be good and good will come to you/Work hard and it will pay off/etc... Could say that shoujous are the same but just towards girls. Get the boy/man child/romace or most Moe shows these days.

The more interesting ones to see are geared towards a Chaotic Good or a Lawful Evil. Gives a break from the 'goody goody' so to speak. Like the protagonist killing for the right cause even though others don't see his point of view or the mad man killing off everyone to cleanse the world.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]
XBL / PSN - Voidist
Malice
is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature
Quetya
Quetya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 02:11 AM Reply

Crunchyroll ppl, lend me your ears!

Making music can fun, but it can also be as challenging as playing the...

BBS Signature
Kisuke
Kisuke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 05:56 AM Reply

At 11/6/12 02:11 AM, Quetya wrote: Crunchyroll ppl, lend me your ears!

i'm going to assume that most of the folks here know of that site. and no thanks, i'd rather watch anime for free than pay for it.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]
XBL / PSN - Voidist
Malice
is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 12:18 PM Reply

At 11/5/12 04:47 AM, RandomRoarness wrote:
At 11/4/12 06:05 PM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote:
Fooly Cooly has a nice message in it's 6 episode of a series. I found the message to say "It's okay to take your time to grow up, and keep things at your pace".

I really don't see any of that when I watch FLCL, instead I saw 6 episodes of random crap that goes nowhere. The message that people claim about this show comes off as shallow {if there was any to be found}, and there is no point behind it. IMO, this is a show that is popular for all of the wrong reasons.

Overall the anime is very symbolic and watching the show one or two times did no justice. More of everything you go rewatch it, you find out a little bit more here and there.

I've made the mistake of watching this show twice, and I felt like I got dumber both times in the end. As I said before, this show is popular for the wrong reasons, and to deduce any type of serious philosophy or symbolism from FLCL is laughable. Instead, do yourself a favor Wonko, and watch the Ghost in the Shell series, in where the philosophy in the show is actually meaningful, and the message in itself is deep and somewhat relatable.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Anime Club Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 01:56 PM Reply

At 11/6/12 02:05 AM, Kisuke wrote: I lost interest in both for a long while. This club mostly just due to the lack of diversity. Mendou has talked to me in the past about getting involved with the community of MyAnimeList and I've thought about it. Thought about dipping my toes into BakaBTs community but I've been glancing and some members are a bit over bearing like a good lot of the members of this club were in their youth.

I've dabbled in animebyt.es' community but I find that most anime fans just seem to be a bit too full-on for me. I've never really bought into all the doujinshi, all the figurines, all the waifus and all the kawaii~~ desu stuff, I just watch the anime and leave it at that. Plus there's a lot of stuff that typical anime communities often discuss that i just haven't watched (eg: clannad). Currently trying out reddit/trueanime, which despite its pretentious name is a reasonable bunch of guys, if small and slow.

Actually got back into anime for the most part thanks to Hajime no Ippo. I watched both series, the OVA, and the movie.

Hey, are the 2nd series, ova movie etc as good as the first? I've only seen the orig 70ish eps but loved what I saw.

Lastly, I've finally caught up with the airing ep of space bros, which means I've got some time to start something else. Think I'm gonna watch some of that jazz anime with the bebop director from last winter. I watched the first couple of eps way back but then stopped watching anime for a few months and since have forgotten about it.

Wonko-the-Sane
Wonko-the-Sane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 11/6/12 12:18 PM, orangebomb wrote: I've made the mistake of watching this show twice, and I felt like I got dumber both times in the end. As I said before, this show is popular for the wrong reasons, and to deduce any type of serious philosophy or symbolism from FLCL is laughable. Instead, do yourself a favor Wonko, and watch the Ghost in the Shell series, in where the philosophy in the show is actually meaningful, and the message in itself is deep and somewhat relatable.

I'm not the one who made the post about FLCL. I didn't like it either. I haven't watched the Ghost in the Shell series, but I have watched the movies.

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club Nov. 6th, 2012 @ 06:13 PM Reply

At 11/6/12 01:56 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I've dabbled in animebyt.es' community but I find that most anime fans just seem to be a bit too full-on for me. I've never really bought into all the doujinshi, all the figurines, all the waifus and all the kawaii~~ desu stuff, I just watch the anime and leave it at that.

I'm only in it for the anime/manga as well, but strangely enough, I still haven't tired of /a/ and 4chan in general despite them doing that shit all the time. I swear I'll be on that site until it's dead or I'm dead, hopefully the former.

Currently trying out reddit/trueanime, which despite its pretentious name is a reasonable bunch of guys, if small and slow.

I guess another reason why I can stomach /a/ is because it's fast-paced discussion rather than being slow as fuck. I'm pretty patient though.