New Topic Respond to this Topic
Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-12 15:02:27 Reply

dubs are only worthwhile when they manage to pull out good VAs for them, which almost never happens outside of miyazaki movies and anime with a large western following. although a lot of them can have good VAs but terrible scripts and plot deviation, god knows how 4kids got away with their bullshit for so long. i don't really see much point in sticking to dubs unless you're dyslexic.

­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 ­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いて­いる
­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­      ­ やりまん

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-12 20:36:21 Reply

watched a series called Kaiba recently, one of the most melancholy beautiful anime i've ever seen. Really unique animation/art style too which i'm a sucker for, and a wonderful ost.

unfortunately imo it suffers from one of my anime pet peeves: going from a relatively simple episodic theme which works fine to a sudden 3deep5u mindfuck ending. Other than that 10/10

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-12 21:03:25 Reply

At 1/12/14 08:36 PM, JaY11 wrote: watched a series called Kaiba recently, one of the most melancholy beautiful anime i've ever seen. Really unique animation/art style too which i'm a sucker for, and a wonderful ost.

I've been meaning to watch Kaiba. It's directed by Yuasa Masaaki, who also did Kemonozume, Mind Game, and the Genius Party short, Happy Machine, which I think are all fantastic. He also did Kick Heart, which I don't really know what to think of. My favorite work lf his I've seen is definitely Kemonozume.

You can watch Happy Machine on YouTube. It's one of my favorite segments from Genius Party. Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond are still super underrated. There are a lot of good short Japanese animations that are overlooked.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
MattTheParanoidKat
MattTheParanoidKat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-12 22:55:00 Reply

At 1/12/14 01:24 PM, Nevermind wrote: I for one do not care for English dubs. While some voice actors are good, I'm not going to deny that, going with dubs is always a gamble. Since most anime doesn't have such a big budget, and anime isn't very profitable over here in the west, in 9/10 cases I've found you'll get some pretty bad voice overs. That is unless it's incredibly mainstream like Samurai Champloo or something, but you'll exhaust those fast. A big issue is also that there are a lot of nuances lost in translation when scripts are reworked, which is the main reason I don't watch dubs. I'd understand if you dislike the sound of the Japanese language, but if you don't and you aren't illiterate, being "an elitist cunt" is always a safer bet.

1. No, I like both versions, I can read subtitles just fine and I like the japanese voices. However, I do find certain anime more engaging in English. It's not that anime isn't profitable in the west, its mostly how much do those anime dvds cost which is a pricey business when you can download or stream for free. Hence why cruchyroll and Funimation exist, so anime can make a bit of money either by subscriptions or ads. And you have to justify charging 50 dollars for a season of an anime. Every DVD gets both languages but if thats just all it is than its hard to sell the things. Special features, commentary tracks, etc. then we are on to something. And of course there is going to be a lot of losses in translations and unless you can understand Japanese to a 90% degree of accuracy you're STILL going to lose a lot in undubbed subtitles anyway. The translators will attempt to explain it but it's not going to be a perfect explanation. particles and honorifics are damn near impossible to translates. They rely on phrasing and sentence structure to make them work with the context of what's being said and translated. Scripts are entitled to reworking. You can't adapt something straight up without some revisions being made. Books get this treatment, comics get this treatment, manga gets it and when translating any of these things they are going to get the same fucking treatment. So if you have an issue with little quirks being lost in translation, better learn Japanese cause you aren't going to get better than that. And hate to tell you this, Champloo while a really good anime and had a excellent English adaption was 10 years ago. Something more recent that has a really killer dub was Baccano! Fate/Zero has a really good English cast too.. Point is this 9/10 this is more like 2/3 Most animes now have a good voice cast, even if the voice actors aren't super 100% to the original actors because they aren't meant to be; they can get close, but actors aren't supposed to imitate who came before, they're supposed to make it their own.

You're allowed to freely choose what you want to watch and I am not going to hold it against you. However, it's just ignorant to assume something is bad cause of reasons that are redundant at best. And no, being a cunt is not a safe bet, it's a wall.

Nevermind
Nevermind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Animator
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-13 11:12:56 Reply

At 1/12/14 10:55 PM, MattTheParanoidKat wrote:
1. No, I like both versions, I can read subtitles just fine and I like the japanese voices. However, I do find certain anime more engaging in English. It's not that anime isn't profitable in the west, its mostly how much do those anime dvds cost which is a pricey business when you can download or stream for free. Hence why cruchyroll and Funimation exist, so anime can make a bit of money either by subscriptions or ads. And you have to justify charging 50 dollars for a season of an anime. Every DVD gets both languages but if thats just all it is than its hard to sell the things. Special features, commentary tracks, etc. then we are on to something. And of course there is going to be a lot of losses in translations and unless you can understand Japanese to a 90% degree of accuracy you're STILL going to lose a lot in undubbed subtitles anyway. The translators will attempt to explain it but it's not going to be a perfect explanation. particles and honorifics are damn near impossible to translates. They rely on phrasing and sentence structure to make them work with the context of what's being said and translated. Scripts are entitled to reworking. You can't adapt something straight up without some revisions being made. Books get this treatment, comics get this treatment, manga gets it and when translating any of these things they are going to get the same fucking treatment. So if you have an issue with little quirks being lost in translation, better learn Japanese cause you aren't going to get better than that. And hate to tell you this, Champloo while a really good anime and had a excellent English adaption was 10 years ago. Something more recent that has a really killer dub was Baccano! Fate/Zero has a really good English cast too.. Point is this 9/10 this is more like 2/3 Most animes now have a good voice cast, even if the voice actors aren't super 100% to the original actors because they aren't meant to be; they can get close, but actors aren't supposed to imitate who came before, they're supposed to make it their own.

You're allowed to freely choose what you want to watch and I am not going to hold it against you. However, it's just ignorant to assume something is bad cause of reasons that are redundant at best. And no, being a cunt is not a safe bet, it's a wall.

I don't completely disagree, but I will firmly stick to the around 9/10 range. Anime dubs didn't come close to good until the mid 90's, and even then were very few in number. Just because they have gotten better nowadays doesn't mean the god awful ones of the 80's American licensed VHS releases have vanished. I also do think actors ought to stay as close to the one before as possible without sounding uninspired, because that will be closer to what the staff intended. Also, if you do watch a lot of anime you could study a little Japanese to understand those particles and honorifics. You don't even need to be advanced to hear a difference, while you of course won't catch everything (with this said I'm not implying you definitely haven't). Finally, I was putting cunt in citations because I don't think it's being a cunt to always bet on something the way it was originally made. Watch what you want, but my two cents are that one is more likely to find good voices in the original version.

░▒▓ C R Y I N G C R A Y F I S H ▓▒░

supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-14 06:45:28 Reply

At 1/6/14 05:21 PM, Wunderbar wrote: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-04/mushishi-anime-gets-2nd-season-in-april

Great Stuff! The First Season Was Really Good . . . What Will Ginko Get Into Next

--supergandhi64

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-14 18:33:34 Reply

Matt's absolutely right. There are a great many animes these days that have very good dubs. Definitely more than one out of ten. And things are indeed lost in translation even if you're watching it subbed. I find people who refuse to watch dubs to be annoying. Worse, though, is people who can't watch anything subtitled. I remember going to see Pan's Labyrinth and a bunch of people walked out of the theater when they realized they had to read. God forbid, right? If you're like that, I don't like you.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-14 19:10:21 Reply

At 1/14/14 06:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Matt's absolutely right. There are a great many animes these days that have very good dubs. Definitely more than one out of ten. And things are indeed lost in translation even if you're watching it subbed. I find people who refuse to watch dubs to be annoying. Worse, though, is people who can't watch anything subtitled. I remember going to see Pan's Labyrinth and a bunch of people walked out of the theater when they realized they had to read. God forbid, right? If you're like that, I don't like you.

I'm with you on this one, especially on the last part.

Guess people are just illiterate (I know I'm throwing that term liberally but still, kinda had this problem with these kind of people ever since I read that YT comment years ago where one guy said he's glad Harry Potter movies were made so he won't have to read it).

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-14 20:19:57 Reply

At 1/14/14 07:10 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 1/14/14 06:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Guess people are just illiterate (I know I'm throwing that term liberally but still, kinda had this problem with these kind of people ever since I read that YT comment years ago where one guy said he's glad Harry Potter movies were made so he won't have to read it).

well books take a lot longer to go through than films so i think that's reasonable, i always go for the film version.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-14 21:26:13 Reply

At 1/14/14 07:10 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 1/14/14 06:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Matt's absolutely right. There are a great many animes these days that have very good dubs. Definitely more than one out of ten. And things are indeed lost in translation even if you're watching it subbed. I find people who refuse to watch dubs to be annoying. Worse, though, is people who can't watch anything subtitled. I remember going to see Pan's Labyrinth and a bunch of people walked out of the theater when they realized they had to read. God forbid, right? If you're like that, I don't like you.

That's honestly shocking to see, but not surprising. As much as I try to remain neutral on all this sub vs dub debates, I just can't imagine anyone watching the Japanese audio without subtitles unless they have a decent mastery of the Japanese language and all of the inflections and cultural stuff that most people don't know about.

It is also worth noting that dubs today were far better in terms of quality and VAs than it was in the 90s, (which is partly why anime like Akira got a re-dub) and in turn, the 90s dub were better than anything before it, though not by much. There is a good reason why Funimation are well liked and respected within the anime community both here and in Japan, they are able to listen to their fans and generally hire excellent VAs for most of their anime.

I might be paraphrasing the quote, but Johnny Yong Bosch stated that "we are voice actors, not voice intimidators." That's pretty much the whole point of dubbed anime in the first place.

Part of them may be truly illiterate, but I would say that most of them are just that fucking lazy if they can't bother to read subtitles. Not every foreign movie or show will have a shot-for-shot remake with an English dub, so if you like foreign movies that aren't in English, better learn to watch with subtitles or you're SOL.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-14 22:26:34 Reply

At 1/14/14 08:19 PM, DeIirium wrote:

well books take a lot longer to go through than films so i think that's reasonable, i always go for the film version.

Thus missing out what the movie would change or left out.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-16 21:30:37 Reply

Just started Kill la Kill. Holy shit its like FLCL all over again and thats a good thing

I have a penis

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-17 01:52:51 Reply

Will Watamote get a second season? Is Sword Art Online getting a second season, too? These questions keep me awake.

Will Outlaw Star get a sec....

Dora's Bike | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
towelie101
towelie101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-17 02:31:39 Reply

At 1/17/14 01:52 AM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: Is Sword Art Online getting a second season, too?

The only one of the anime you listed that has been confirmed for S2 so far, but Watamote could get one eventually. The real issue is whether Binbougami Ga and PSG will ever get second seasons.

never ;__;
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-17 10:56:08 Reply

At 1/17/14 01:52 AM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: Will Watamote get a second season? Is Sword Art Online getting a second season, too? These questions keep me awake.
Will Outlaw Star get a sec....

Watamote manga is ongoing so there's a shot that it will at least get an OVA release later on.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
frogman0123
frogman0123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-19 11:43:01 Reply

Hey everybody. Been a long time (I think) since I dropped by here. How are things?

Also just wanted to see if anyone remembers me at all.

If you don't like green, then you don't like me. If you don't like me, bite me. And if you don't like what was said right now, then GET OUT OF THE DARK WATER WORLD!

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-23 20:14:36 Reply

The other night, I logged into netflix and gave Attack on Titan a chance. I'd heard it was great, but other than that, I knew absolutely nothing about it, not even what the general plot was about. I'm glad I gave it a chance. I marathoned the first season, it was pretty good. I really liked the characters.

Dora's Bike | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 00:21:09 Reply

I would watch attack on titan, but there's no English dub. I don't watch anime that isn't dubbed, i've only made an acception for Tokyo godfathers.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 01:41:58 Reply

At 1/25/14 12:21 AM, sweet21 wrote: I don't watch anime that isn't dubbed

...why?

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 03:49:13 Reply

At 1/25/14 12:21 AM, sweet21 wrote: I would watch attack on titan, but there's no English dub. I don't watch anime that isn't dubbed, i've only made an acception for Tokyo godfathers.

Why are you torturing yourself? Most dubs are terrible and overracted, generally anime movies are fine because of the larger budgets but there are only a handful of series with equal or better English than Japanese voice acting. The only ones that come to mind that are better are Bebop, Baccano and PSG (unless you have a thing for copious amounts of funny engrish).

Haruhi, Monster and Steins;Gate are hit or miss

Also please tell me I'm not the only one in this thread that thinks SnK is average as fuck? I was actually digging the world building and the surprisingly intimidating representation of the titans but it has serious pacing issues, it's too often melodramatic and I occasionally wanted to switch it off because I was cringing so hard at how edgy it was trying to be. I don't have the same complaints as some people about the CG, I thought the animation overall was pretty good but that's mostly what it has going for it. I guess I shouldn't have gone in expecting good writing and characterisation from a shounen but hey FMA and TTGL surprised me so I thought the hype might have been indicative of another exception.

Oh well, back to waiting for the next monogatari

nobody

DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 08:23:04 Reply

the word "edgy" is thrown around way too much these days and i have a hard time taking people seriously when they use it. i haven't seen the shingeki no kyojin anime but i have read the manga and enjoyed it, it has good tension and interesting twists, and the action scenes are great of course.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 08:26:08 Reply

There are many good dubs. I just find it weird that you'd so firmly restrict yourself to them and refuse to watch subs. People who insist that you should only watch subs are annoying, though.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 12:21:04 Reply

At 1/25/14 01:41 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/25/14 12:21 AM, sweet21 wrote: I don't watch anime that isn't dubbed
...why?

He probably didn't want to read the subs.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 12:52:47 Reply

At 1/25/14 03:49 AM, Innermike wrote: Why are you torturing yourself? Most dubs are terrible and overracted

People always say this and I always tell them they're wrong. We've come far from Yu Yu Hakashio. I speak English, I watch my shit in English. I come to watch, not to read.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 13:21:49 Reply

I just don't get people who can't read subtitles. Unless you're drunk, I really don't see the issue.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 13:29:12 Reply

At 1/25/14 01:21 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I just don't get people who can't read subtitles. Unless you're drunk, I really don't see the issue.

I dont see why you cant handle English voice acting. Man, all we need it Liam O brien and Troy Baker.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 13:47:57 Reply

At 1/25/14 01:21 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I just don't get people who can't read subtitles. Unless you're drunk, I really don't see the issue.

You know kids these days, hate reading books and all.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 13:52:21 Reply

Limiting yourself to dub or sub is super lame either way.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 14:01:34 Reply

i'm good enough at japanese to watch stuff without subs so i really have no reason to bother with dubs, since there's always something lost in translation.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Anime Club 2014-01-25 14:05:47 Reply

At 1/25/14 01:29 PM, sweet21 wrote:
I dont see why you cant handle English voice acting.

Look at the post I made before that one.

BBS Signature