PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-14 23:32:23 Reply

At 11/14/13 08:33 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 11/14/13 07:03 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote:
At 11/14/13 04:34 PM, Rustygames wrote: I like it. Why not A* though?
Cool problem. A* would be faster. Use the current difference in letters from the target as your heuristic.

Here is one. Given two lists of unsorted unique integers, find the nth lowest of both in the lowest time complexity. No google.

Hint: Solution can be achieved in linear time

Example
[0, 10, 2, 5]
[4, 8, 1, 7]

3rd lowest is 2
There was some weird sort we talked about in java where you place numbers into "buckets" based on the last digit, then based on the 2nd to last, etc. 10 buckets for 10 digits it can end with, 10 buckets in each of those for 10 digits that can be in the tens spot, etc. It was linearish I think, maybe some coefficient based on the max length of a number. Then iterate through that thing to find the nth.
maybe

Radix sort. In any practical situation I would say you're right. This is a good solution. But just for fun what if each integer has a unique key length (number of digits) ? Maybe they are 64 bit floats instead of ints with many decimal places. We then have an average case of at least linearithmic time. How we do achieve an average case of linear time ?

I will post the solution I'm thinking of tomorrow if nobody gets it. I'll give you a hint. It involves the partition step of quicksort.

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-14 23:34:19 Reply

At 11/14/13 11:32 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Radix sort. In any practical situation I would say you're right.

Stopped reading after here.

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-14 23:52:58 Reply

At 11/14/13 11:34 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 11/14/13 11:32 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Radix sort. In any practical situation I would say you're right.

Typically these sorts of problems have very little practical application. That is not really the purpose. I mean.. when do you need find the shortest list of words by single letter permutation of "short" to"bread" ?

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-15 00:02:27 Reply

At 11/14/13 11:52 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Typically these sorts of problems have very little practical application. That is not really the purpose. I mean.. when do you need find the shortest list of words by single letter permutation of "short" to"bread" ?

In a terrible Saw movie.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-15 05:47:01 Reply

At 11/14/13 07:26 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 11/14/13 03:53 PM, Rustygames wrote: I come with a challenge.
I remember this challenge from a book of logic puzzles I had (I had quite a few as a kid)

Test word for you: short -> bread
short
sort
sot
bot
boat
bat
brat
brad
bread

I should have mentioned you aren't allowed to take away or add letters, just change them

At 11/14/13 07:34 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 11/14/13 04:34 PM, Rustygames wrote:
At 11/14/13 03:57 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Generate a graph from a dictionary (link all words which differ by 1 letter to each other).
Run Dijkstra's algorithm on it.

i dont feel like coding it but that works
I like it. Why not A* though?
dijkstra's easier to implement and you can do it with a queue instead of a priority queue. optimize later if its actually slow (probably wont be slow)

The difference in implementation between Dijkstra's and A* is tiny. I suspect some googling may have gone on here ;)

At 11/14/13 11:52 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote:
At 11/14/13 11:34 PM, MSGhero wrote:
Typically these sorts of problems have very little practical application. That is not really the purpose. I mean.. when do you need find the shortest list of words by single letter permutation of "short" to"bread" ?

Was an interview question here and Dijkstra's was given as the best answer. I disputed this by saying A* was far superior and proved as much. I was wondering if anyone here fell into the same trap :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-15 12:21:57 Reply

At 11/15/13 05:47 AM, Rustygames wrote: I should have mentioned you aren't allowed to take away or add letters, just change them

Proper nouns?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-15 14:20:41 Reply

At 11/15/13 12:21 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 11/15/13 05:47 AM, Rustygames wrote: I should have mentioned you aren't allowed to take away or add letters, just change them
Proper nouns?

Any dictionary you find and use I will accept :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-15 15:41:33 Reply

Once again I'm left with the apt to myself for the weekend. Sucks that there isn't a game jam going on, no hw and no tests to interrupt either. We have a big LAN party going on tomorrow and Sunday, so I might go there to play some dota. I participated in the tournament last year, but I was put in a random team, and they weren't that good. So I'll just play solo or watch the tournament games.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-15 16:02:29 Reply

At 11/15/13 03:41 PM, MSGhero wrote: Once again I'm left with the apt to myself for the weekend.

And so your sig is fulfilled yet again. Speaking of sigs, I need to start a catalog of all my potential MSG post sigs.

nobody

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-15 19:48:12 Reply

At 11/15/13 04:02 PM, Innermike wrote: And so your sig is fulfilled yet again. Speaking of sigs, I need to start a catalog of all my potential MSG post sigs.

One guy was just at a meeting, but he leaves tomorrow morning.

at least he didn't walk in on me singing naked in the lounge
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-15 21:12:25 Reply

At 11/15/13 07:48 PM, MSGhero wrote:
at least he didn't walk in on me singing naked in the lounge

Pretty sure he'd be used to it at that point :P

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-15 22:50:19 Reply

At 11/14/13 11:32 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I will post the solution I'm thinking of tomorrow if nobody gets it. I'll give you a hint. It involves the partition step of quicksort.

Alright here you go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickselect

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-16 02:45:25 Reply

I've always wanted to make a game called "Inverness," so I named the github game that. Man, was it complicated. Renaming projects in FD is annoying enough, but then github kept the old name all over the place. After more complications, I realized I used a lowercase "h" in "MSGhero" over there, which caused an issue when linking the local files to the repo. Ughhhh

It don't like how it handles renaming files and folders, but I guess it doesn't know if you renamed the file or not.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-16 15:29:53 Reply

so Xelu (from 4urentertainment and/or Those Awesome Guys) guested our first podcast with us. Mind giving him a round of applause (and a like) for being awesome and sticking with us through a bunch of technical issues? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9369GCTDJU

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-16 18:19:34 Reply

I finished redoing the website for my pathfinding library.

http://easystarjs.com/

I could use some feedback!

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-16 21:49:13 Reply

Just got back from seeing MF Doom and BadBadNotGood, feeling pretty hyped.

At 11/16/13 06:19 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: http://easystarjs.com/

I could use some feedback!

I spent like 6 minutes watching this. I don't know if I can give any useful feedback but I think it's super neato.

At 11/16/13 03:29 PM, egg82 wrote: so Xelu (from 4urentertainment and/or Those Awesome Guys) guested our first podcast with us. Mind giving him a round of applause (and a like) for being awesome and sticking with us through a bunch of technical issues? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9369GCTDJU

Not bad for a first run, a lot of podcasts only find their footing after like 20+ eps or some shit.

I listened to the whole thing. It feels too sparse and unfocused, you should have points ready to go through, you don't need to follow them strictly or anything but it needs drive, even the most lax conversational podcasts feel like they have more direction even if they are 90% digressions simply because they do emphasise their jumping off points. I like listening to people just shooting the shit as much as any highly produced audio show, but this seemed borderline awkward at times. It was cool that you had Xelu on about CJ though that was some choice content. This is one man's opinion, it is supposed to be a form of entertainment after all right? I dunno \_(ツ)_/

Also some questions:
Are you the one who introduces it? Is the 'host' roster set or is it just whoever is available? If so does that mean it's not going to be released at fixed intervals(weekly? Is the time fixed at an hour (give or take a minute or two)? Is it on iTunes? Is there an RSS feed? Will either of these things happen in the foreseeable future? Is a guest a requirement for every episode? Do you record separately while in a call then lay the recordings over each other or do you just record the call?

I listen to like 20 podcasts a week so I guess that's why I'm p interested in what you're doing, assuming it get's better with each episode (it will) I'll evangelise it however I can (we flash regs gotta represent nahmsayin'?)

PEACE BRETHREN

textextextexctextexotexntexstexutexmtexptexttexitextexotexntextextextextextextext
texatextextexntexdtextexetextexxtexptexrtextexetexstexstexitextexotextextexntextext

nobody

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-16 23:56:35 Reply

At 11/16/13 09:49 PM, Innermike wrote: Not bad for a first run, a lot of podcasts only find their footing after like 20+ eps or some shit.

Yay, feedback! :D
It's pretty hard to find any of that on YouTube, so I just go by analytics.

I listened to the whole thing. It feels too sparse and unfocused, you should have points ready to go through, you don't need to follow them strictly or anything but it needs drive, even the most lax conversational podcasts feel like they have more direction even if they are 90% digressions simply because they do emphasise their jumping off points. I like listening to people just shooting the shit as much as any highly produced audio show, but this seemed borderline awkward at times.

I agree, it did feel borderline awkward at times. The problem was we ran the first 45 minutes and xsplit wasn't picking up the Skype audio so we had to restart. We simply ran out of topics by that point and it started to feel a little awkward. The first 45 minutes were great, no awkwardness and many laughs were had. Too bad nobody will ever see it :(

I agree with the "hit these points" though I think it should be very vague... Something like "let's check out some new game releases" instead of "did you hear about this?" (maybe some of that) - I really just want to sit back and have a good time with a few people on-air. The entertainment value, I've found, comes from that :)

It was cool that you had Xelu on about CJ though that was some choice content. This is one man's opinion, it is supposed to be a form of entertainment after all right? I dunno \_(ツ)_/

Hey, any man's opinion is just as valid as the others'

Are you the one who introduces it?

So far i'm the one who starts it all off, yeah. There's a bunch of pre-podcast talk and general BS that goes on so I can play with audio levels, but once we start everyone's quiet until I say the intro line.

Is the 'host' roster set or is it just whoever is available?

The host will always be me unless i'm unavailable, then it's Lyzen. If not him, then that means two out of the four casters are gone and there won't be a podcast that week.

If so does that mean it's not going to be released at fixed intervals(weekly? Is the time fixed at an hour (give or take a minute or two)?

Should be every Friday at about 4 PM MST though usually somebody's late, so give it a few minutes.

Is it on iTunes? Is there an RSS feed? Will either of these things happen in the foreseeable future?

I don't think there will be an RSS or iTunes version, YouTube tends to cover both of those. iTunes probably never because there are some visual things occasionally involved, though we'll try to avoid those as much as possible.

Is a guest a requirement for every episode?

Nope, though it's nice if we can get one; and we do try.

Do you record separately while in a call then lay the recordings over each other or do you just record the call?

I use XSplit's local recording setting, which dumps everything into one file.

I listen to like 20 podcasts a week so I guess that's why I'm p interested in what you're doing, assuming it get's better with each episode (it will) I'll evangelise it however I can (we flash regs gotta represent nahmsayin'?)

Yay, thanks :D

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-17 05:32:25 Reply

At 11/16/13 11:56 PM, egg82 wrote: Hey, any man's opinion is just as valid as the others'

False! There are still smart and dumb opinions. (Politically Correct would be to say educated and uneducated opinions)

Well fuuuck me, I've been fighting with my game engine's rendering system for the past week. I'm starting to regret to try and make my uber rendering pipeline idea. Basically I've abstracted the GL functionality into Instruction objects that you can piece together, and so change how things are rendered during runtime etc.. Everything was working, but now I need to hunt down an issue with framebuffers which is probably going to be hell.

Cool thing about this pipeline is that it gives me a really high level way to specify the order in which materials get rendered, and to which targets/buffers, basically that's all you need, but it came out more complex...after working with this for a while, I'll hopefully realize how I could simplify this. (Still a huge OpenGL noob)

Gen. Isation FTW

I also handle Uniforms in a cool way, where I can bind them to other uniforms, and so my engine provides uniforms to bind to for the window width/height, or the projection/view/model matrices, etc., and all objects can automagically get dem in dere shaders yea.

And that is what's been up. As soon as I settle my rendering engine once and for all, in terms of flexibility, I'll finally be able to get back to game features. The current rehaul is a result of us wanting to implement lighting.

P.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-17 13:03:35 Reply

At 11/17/13 05:32 AM, PSvils wrote: False! There are still smart and dumb opinions. (Politically Correct would be to say educated and uneducated opinions)

intelligent opinion or not, the validity of the opinion, when not measured on a personal scale, stays the same :P
also, intelligence is measured by opinions. I believe I win, good sir!

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-17 14:04:20 Reply

At 11/17/13 01:03 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 11/17/13 05:32 AM, PSvils wrote: False! There are still smart and dumb opinions. (Politically Correct would be to say educated and uneducated opinions)
intelligent opinion or not, the validity of the opinion, when not measured on a personal scale, stays the same :P
also, intelligence is measured by opinions.

Saying everyone's opinion is equally valid breeds complacency. Also intelligence is only ever formally measured as a quotient which is derived from observations, which aren't the same thing as opinions. So I'd go with PSvils on this.

I'm busy being boring and working on a music app and a flashcard app. No fun here.

nobody

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-17 14:25:00 Reply

At 11/17/13 02:04 PM, Innermike wrote: Saying everyone's opinion is equally valid breeds complacency.

I always take the middle ground xD

Also intelligence is only ever formally measured as a quotient which is derived from observations, which aren't the same thing as opinions. So I'd go with PSvils on this.

Aww, two on one. No fair :(

I'm busy being boring and working on a music app and a flashcard app. No fun here.

That sounds like loads of fun. I'm making tons of videos on the Flash games in or just out of judgement on NG. I'll admit, it's slightly more interesting than developing apps, but video editing is a bit of a pain.

The reason for the sudden surge of Flash game videos is because analytics is telling me that's what's making near 100% of my views/money - though emphasis on "new" because apparently there's a ton of competition with this. Who knew? O.o

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-17 17:57:59 Reply

My rpg's systems are uncoupled enough that I can switch cities in the middle of a cutscene. In the previous game, that would have taken 200 extra lines of hackish fixes and 3 weeks to do, but I got it to work with 2 extra lines in an hour :O

kkots
kkots
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-17 18:26:39 Reply

At 11/17/13 05:57 PM, MSGhero wrote: My rpg's systems are uncoupled enough that I can switch cities in the middle of a cutscene. In the previous game, that would have taken 200 extra lines of hackish fixes and 3 weeks to do, but I got it to work with 2 extra lines in an hour :O

May I know how, approximately?

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-17 19:48:31 Reply

At 11/17/13 06:26 PM, kkots wrote: May I know how, approximately?

Well, I have it so that I dispatch an event to swap cities, which gets handled by a game state. Then cutscenes are handled by basically a singleton class. And it happens that I can dispatch the swap city event from the cutscene handler and everything works just fine. If this were the previous game, I'd have to do something drastic and messy and eww.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-19 17:05:19 Reply

How long till that censorship thread reaches the length of this thread? -_-

kkots
kkots
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-19 19:40:10 Reply

It's kind of informative and gives an insight on many problems.
It will probably stay for as long as any other news posts. It's just getting more replies than a usual news post. Nothing special.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-20 00:01:04 Reply

So I checked out my competition on a few Flash games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WISt_fArqDM
My god, this poor man's machine must have been on fire during that whole recording :(

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-20 00:02:47 Reply

At 11/20/13 12:01 AM, egg82 wrote: My god, this poor man's machine must have been on fire during that whole recording :(

"welcome to Prehistoric Shark! At a whole THREE FPS! Well-optimized!"

BBS Signature
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-20 14:56:11 Reply

guys I announced a new game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS9O1t6nywY

swishcheese
swishcheese
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-20 15:14:32 Reply

At 11/20/13 02:56 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: guys I announced a new game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS9O1t6nywY

AWESOME! I want.

I remember playing version of this when you first posted a link to it here in the lounge. Was fun, good work.

BBS Signature