New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-01 14:52:29 Reply

At 5/1/13 02:04 PM, PSvils wrote: Mhm, my new idea is to have a full state system, and rather than changing states, I pop and push states. Then states also get a pause and resume function. This would make a pause menu really easy, since you can push it on top of the game state, the game state pauses, and the pause menu has focus.

This sounds similar to how we were taught to handle states when working with LEGO Mindstorm during one of my modules.

We were given an "arbitrator" object which was passed an array of behaviours. It looped through them and queried each state through a method to see if they should take precedence, if so, that behaviours action method was called. Obviously, if not, it would just continue to the next and see if that one wanted to take action.

I actually haven't thought about doing this for game states, but it would be extremely easy to create pause menus by giving it a higher priority than all other screens. Here a snippet from a slide for a graphical example of how we were taught it (probably wont be much use, but here it is nonetheless).

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-01 15:07:20 Reply

At 5/1/13 02:04 PM, PSvils wrote: Mhm, my new idea is to have a full state system, and rather than changing states, I pop and push states. Then states also get a pause and resume function. This would make a pause menu really easy, since you can push it on top of the game state, the game state pauses, and the pause menu has focus.

One thing I haven't figured out yet though is how to pass information between states in a clean way... :/

Yeah, I had a pop and push system sorta half-implemented in there, the problem is you want your pause menu to render on TOP of the game, not INSTEAD of the game, and transition states need to update and render simultaneously

passing information between them I had a function of the state manager for that using a std::map (Dictionary in AS3)

SendMessage("messagename", "messagedata")
ReadMessage("messagename", bool deleteAfterReading = false) [returns "messagedata", or "null" if no message with that name was found)

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-01 16:12:49 Reply

At 5/1/13 03:07 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Yeah, I had a pop and push system sorta half-implemented in there, the problem is you want your pause menu to render on TOP of the game, not INSTEAD of the game, and transition states need to update and render simultaneously

passing information between them I had a function of the state manager for that using a std::map (Dictionary in AS3)

SendMessage("messagename", "messagedata")
ReadMessage("messagename", bool deleteAfterReading = false) [returns "messagedata", or "null" if no message with that name was found)

Oh hey, nice and simple messaging! I'ma steal that right now :)

And for the popping/pushing states, I figure that when you push a state on top of another state, then the pushed state renders on top of the previous state, creating the pause menu effect. (Sounds like a movie...)

And to handle transitions, maybe they should be thought of as 1-way transitions. You give the old screen an out-transition, the new screen an in-transition. This detaches transitions from needing previous states to transition from, and so the pause menu would simply have an in-transition, and it should work fine without transitioning out the game state.
And obviously in lots of cases you'd want to have an in transition match an out transition etc. Hell, you could even have the transitions talking to each other in cases where you need perfect syncing...
I need to implement what I just said, it sounds really flexible and awesome in my head! :)

BTW, when working with C++, did you just start raw, with SDL or OpenGL, or use a library for graphics handling?

P.

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-01 17:44:39 Reply

At 5/1/13 12:00 PM, PSvils wrote: Sounds like you're trying to do a screen system of sorts. I have a tiny screen library I made, that basically has a screen controller, transition classes, and then a generic screen which I extend.

pretty much, all of this is in my base GameState that extends the basic state which my controller swaps out for menu states or other game states. eventually I'm going to take it a degree farther and have Rounds be a separate class that gets controlled by the states. sort of like states within states. the difference is that states will have assets that are maintained throughout various rounds. but the game I'm working on doesn't really need this yet as there's not a lot of different game modes options.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-02 00:39:21 Reply

heard about this and the devs who made it doing some weird things more and more lately.

I bought the game, it's cute and a fun time killer, and I believe worth the $8 I threw down for it.

Anyway, thoughts?

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-02 00:45:33 Reply

At 5/2/13 12:39 AM, egg82 wrote: Anyway, thoughts?

I think I'd get sick of the irony if I had to make that game.

Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-02 11:04:19 Reply

Here's an interesting article about level design in Skyrim, written by one of Bethesda's senior designers. Read it for the nonsensical images & infographics, if nothing else.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-02 12:17:51 Reply

At 5/2/13 12:39 AM, egg82 wrote: heard about this and the devs who made it doing some weird things more and more lately.

I bought the game, it's cute and a fun time killer, and I believe worth the $8 I threw down for it.

Anyway, thoughts?

that game is a ripoff of game dev story

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-02 13:16:53 Reply

At 5/2/13 12:17 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: that game is a ripoff of game dev story

I've heard that, too, but i'm not certain. At what point does "clone", or "ripoff" become "improvement" or even "genera"?
Everything was a DOOM clone until the whole thing became the FPS genera.
Hell, Roller Coaster Tycoon was based off Theme Park, but nobody seems to think it's a direct clone.

I suppose the line's in different places for each of us, but any way you look at it, it's one hell of a blurry line.

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-02 14:47:30 Reply

At 5/2/13 11:04 AM, Archawn wrote: Here's an interesting article about level design in Skyrim, written by one of Bethesda's senior designers. Read it for the nonsensical images & infographics, if nothing else.

There is no level design in Skyrim, there's barely any design in Skyrim.

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-02 21:34:48 Reply

http://www.victordramba.com/ free online as3 editor. I have no use for it but if any of you are coders on the go, check it out.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-02 23:40:51 Reply

At 5/2/13 09:34 PM, GeoKureli wrote: http://www.victordramba.com/ free online as3 editor. I have no use for it but if any of you are coders on the go, check it out.

If FD wasn't free, i'd use this. Basically.

BBS Signature
GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-03 03:11:25 Reply

I'll be making a game in 10 days, wish me luck. That is unless you're competing against me, then I would suggest saying hurtful discouraging things to me.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/4-game-programming/topics/3 34927-gitd-32-starts-on-may-2nd?page=1

The theme is collection. I can't even think of a game that doesn't have you collecting coins or points. I think my game will be based around greed.

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-03 04:29:05 Reply

At 5/3/13 03:11 AM, GeoKureli wrote: I'll be making a game in 10 days, wish me luck. That is unless you're competing against me, then I would suggest saying hurtful discouraging things to me.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/4-game-programming/topics/3 34927-gitd-32-starts-on-may-2nd?page=1

The theme is collection. I can't even think of a game that doesn't have you collecting coins or points. I think my game will be based around greed.

Good luck! I wish I had time to take part... I've never heard of a game jam that lasts more than three days before...

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-04 04:30:38 Reply

What's everyone working on? I'm getting bored, I used to be able to check out a new post in the reg lounge every few hours while taking a break from programming. :(

GeoKureli
GeoKureli
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-04 05:58:03 Reply

At 5/4/13 04:30 AM, PSvils wrote: What's everyone working on?

Puzzle platformer about a thief who collects other people treasure, the more you steal the heavier you get. Weight affects your jump height, speed, and other things you would expect.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-04 06:43:26 Reply

leaving this here

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-04 12:52:54 Reply

At 5/4/13 04:30 AM, PSvils wrote: What's everyone working on? I'm getting bored, I used to be able to check out a new post in the reg lounge every few hours while taking a break from programming. :(

Making a whole bunch of utils because I'm bored as well

BBS Signature
PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-04 16:57:21 Reply

Just got that super warm, fuzzy feeling when I've been thinking about how to design a certain thing for aaaages (In this case my inventory system), and then suddenly it all clicks, and you realize you're whole approach is wrong, and the new way is so...so beautiful!

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-04 17:40:26 Reply

At 5/4/13 06:43 AM, Rustygames wrote: leaving this here

that was cute

None

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-04 19:21:04 Reply

Yes as3 yes I love as3 so much yes.

original I am.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-04 21:03:04 Reply

At 5/4/13 07:21 PM, mandog wrote: Yes as3 yes I love as3 so much yes.

alrighty O.o

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 02:08:32 Reply

so I realized the entire "Wizard's Folly" quest in Neverwinter is a giant Dragon Age reference.
Alright, that's pretty epic.

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 08:38:15 Reply

At 5/4/13 05:40 PM, Luis wrote:
At 5/4/13 06:43 AM, Rustygames wrote: leaving this here
that was cute

I think my favorite is the PM's view of QA

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 10:15:21 Reply

At 5/4/13 04:57 PM, PSvils wrote: Just got that super warm, fuzzy feeling when I've been thinking about how to design a certain thing for aaaages (In this case my inventory system), and then suddenly it all clicks, and you realize you're whole approach is wrong, and the new way is so...so beautiful!

How did you do it?

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 10:41:56 Reply

At 5/5/13 10:15 AM, FlyingColours wrote:
At 5/4/13 04:57 PM, PSvils wrote: Just got that super warm, fuzzy feeling when I've been thinking about how to design a certain thing for aaaages (In this case my inventory system), and then suddenly it all clicks, and you realize you're whole approach is wrong, and the new way is so...so beautiful!
How did you do it?

Well before I was using Flash mouse events directly in my code for each entity that needed them.

But know, I have an InputSystem that runs before all my other systems, that pumps any kind of input events through the other systems. So when my MovementSystem processes, it checks if there are any related key events present. Same thing then applies to my inventory system, it checks if the correct key has been pressed, and if it has, then it'll show the current Entity's inventory!

This also makes key bindings easier, since I don't need to add/remove key listeners in the bind code itself, I can change it whenever, which will change which keys the MovementSystem listens to.

If none of what I wrote made sense, I can continue to explain, but it's tightly related to Entity Systems, so go check those out first :D

P.

I-smel
I-smel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 17:46:57 Reply

Re-doing the art for this XBLIG game. Hopefully this'll help these guys be a success on Steam.
Adding all sorts of nutty characters to pick instead of palette-swaps, making funner animations.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 18:50:06 Reply

At 5/5/13 05:46 PM, I-smel wrote:
Re-doing the art for this XBLIG game. Hopefully this'll help these guys be a success on Steam.
Adding all sorts of nutty characters to pick instead of palette-swaps, making funner animations.

that looks neat. any game with a grappling hook im already sold on.

None

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 18:55:28 Reply

At 5/5/13 06:50 PM, Luis wrote:
At 5/5/13 05:46 PM, I-smel wrote:
that looks neat. any game with a grappling hook im already sold on.

Yeah, loving the art! :)

Aaaand turns out someone already made my dream game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQOPb9p3HTQ

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-05-05 18:58:29 Reply

At 5/5/13 06:55 PM, PSvils wrote: Aaaand turns out someone already made my dream game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQOPb9p3HTQ

Make it better, then :)

I've always found grappling hooks and flamethrowers to be interesting weapons/mechanics.