New Topic Respond to this Topic
Rad
Rad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-28 10:48:18 Reply

Hey guys, I want to make a little flash game using sprite graphics made in GraphicsGale, can anyone tell me if this will/will not work?

First blood! First topic of 2010!
KC Green has just won my heart.
Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-28 11:06:48 Reply

At 7/28/13 10:48 AM, Rad wrote: Hey guys, I want to make a little flash game using sprite graphics made in GraphicsGale, can anyone tell me if this will/will not work?

If it exports to a file of any sort, you can probably use it in just about any way you please.

Yayy, byte arrays!

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-28 18:33:02 Reply

At 7/28/13 10:48 AM, Rad wrote: Hey guys, I want to make a little flash game using sprite graphics made in GraphicsGale, can anyone tell me if this will/will not work?

You will have to use blitting to get the png files into your game. You can use flixel to do a lot of that for you.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 07:30:07 Reply

At 7/28/13 06:33 PM, MSGhero wrote: blitting

Always hated this term.

In other news, I'm finally getting my first smartphone, guess I better see what you kids are going nuts over.

nobody

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 09:53:23 Reply

At 7/27/13 06:47 PM, MSGhero wrote: So far 3 textbooks were "required" and I never looked at them. They were required cuz the teacher of that class wrote the book.

Ugh, I think teachers that do that should be publicly humiliated.

This might be of interest, it's the Game Boy Programming Manual. If you're writing a game boy emulator in your class, I imagine it'd come in handy. It was on hacker news this morning.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 10:42:43 Reply

I'm getting bored of these conversations. Everyone is talking about different languages on a high level with nothing to show for it.

We need more showing off what we've been working on and more luis posts in general which often tickle me.

I'll try and set the trend:

I've been working on the card game I mentioned on here a while back again! I've moved house and stuff lately which has been my excuse for not working on it. Anyway...

I've decided to target mobile for sure now (as well as web). So I went about improving performance by changing the card illustrations from vectors to png's. It worked a treat and ran 100% on mobile, but the file size jumped massively of course. I cried for a while until I accepted it, but then I had an idea...

So now I'm caching the vectors on startup so the filesize isn't any bigger it just created the "spritesheets" on the fly at startup. I get silky smooth performance at a low low file size price :D

I will show more pretty pictures soon I hope

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 10:44:44 Reply

At 7/29/13 07:30 AM, Innermike wrote:
At 7/28/13 06:33 PM, MSGhero wrote: blitting
Always hated this term.

+1

Not saying anyone on here is doing this on purpose, but I always found it to be one of those buzz words which people say to make themselves look clever.

Personally I call it bitmappycopypixelsfromonebittoanotherbitcreatingtheillusiono fmovementing

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 11:58:05 Reply

At 7/29/13 10:42 AM, Rustygames wrote: We need more showing off what we've been working on and more luis posts in general which often tickle me.

Ooh, I get to show off?
Been working on this - just ported it over to MonoGame from XNA. Required a bit of tinkering with XInput to get the 360 controllers working, but everything else wasn't bad.

Here's a generated gave
10 pseudo-random numbers from two similar algorithms:

A JSON-serialized controller (wrapper-helper class):
{
"connected":false,
"buttons":{
"a":false,
"b":false,
"y":false,
"x":false,
"start":false,
"back":false,
"main":false,
"leftStick":false,
"rightStick":false,
"leftShoulder":false,
"rightShoulder":false
},
"dPad":{
"up":false,
"down":false,
"left":false,
"right":false
},
"triggers":{
"left":0.0,
"right":0.0
},
"sticks":{
"left":{
"x":0.0,
"y":0.0
},
"right":{
"x":0.0,
"y":0.0
}
},
"deadZones":{
"leftStick":{
"x":0.01,
"y":0.01
},
"rightStick":{
"x":0.01,
"y":0.01
},
"leftTrigger":0.002,
"rightTrigger":0.002
},
"motors":{
"lowRumble":0.0,
"highRumble":0.0
},
"batteryInfo":{
"level":0,
"levelStr":"empty"
}
}

Also includes quad-trees, threading, the ability to temporarily bypass the firewall and external IP getter, misc. Math/rounding utils, state machine (of course), steam API as well as steamworks C++ wrapper (still working on those), papal API, file upload/download supporting various protocols, e-mail sending (coming soon. Receiving if I can manage it as well), HTTP-reader, IP2Loc, misc. input including mic and various game pads, filesystem utils for easier directory walking, various 2D and 3D engines, cryptographic classes and functions (thanks, MS and byte arrays!), various compression including LZW and 7z's LZMA, connection tunneling and finally sleep mode prevention.

More to come as I continue think of things that would be useful.
Seriously, this framework is massive and a lot of work .-.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 12:11:50 Reply

At 7/29/13 10:42 AM, Rustygames wrote: I'm getting bored of these conversations. Everyone is talking about different languages on a high level with nothing to show for it.

We need more showing off what we've been working on and more luis posts in general which often tickle me.

AT 9/28/06 11:10AM, Rustygames wrote:
get a life

I'll never forget that first post!?!?!

As for showing off stuff, yeah it is the end of the month and it'd be good to see what you goons are doing. I'm currently wrapping up some wireframe shit. It's probably my least favorite phase of a project, but its good in that you get a better sense of the scope of it.

Also, and UNRELATED, i was/am pretty inspired by this chick.
http://blog.jenniferdewalt.com/post/56319597560/im-learning-
to-code-by-building-180-websites-in-180

I think i need to reinject that sort of energy and curiosity back into my workflow. I think as you get older and theoretically more 'busy' it becomes hard to stay naive and inquisitive about trying new things. That is a bad thing and you should avoid it at all costs. The end.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

None

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 13:27:42 Reply

At 7/29/13 11:58 AM, egg82 wrote: List of words

What... what is this???

At 7/29/13 12:11 PM, Luis wrote:
At 7/29/13 10:42 AM, Rustygames wrote: I'm getting bored of these conversations. Everyone is talking about different languages on a high level with nothing to show for it.

AT 9/28/06 11:10AM, Rustygames wrote:
get a life

I'll never forget that first post!?!?!

Sorry I'm embarrassed, it was 7 years ago and I still feel the shame XD

As for showing off stuff, yeah it is the end of the month and it'd be good to see what you goons are doing. I'm currently wrapping up some wireframe shit. It's probably my least favorite phase of a project, but its good in that you get a better sense of the scope of it.

Is this an app version of newgrounds? Are you under their employ now? (sorry if these are stupid questions)

Also, and UNRELATED, i was/am pretty inspired by this chick.
http://blog.jenniferdewalt.com/post/56319597560/im-learning-
to-code-by-building-180-websites-in-180

That's pretty cool, very interesting way of learning although I think she's obviously doing it for the publicity more than anything. Good on her I say!

I think i need to reinject that sort of energy and curiosity back into my workflow. I think as you get older and theoretically more 'busy' it becomes hard to stay naive and inquisitive about trying new things. That is a bad thing and you should avoid it at all costs. The end.

It's also important to find time to learn new things or you fall behind. I've been managing rather than doing hands on stuff for the last couple of years and as I've got more hands on again I've realized just how much stuff I've missed out on (for the same reasons you describe). I'm back in full coder mode now, new job with much more technical responsibility and less babysitting drooling juniors and I forgot how much I love it!!

Still get that tingling sensation in the tip of my penis when I make something new and cool looking work. TMI?

Also picture, forgive 'coder art' buttons :)

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 13:56:38 Reply

I like the way "blitting" sounds.

Progress is kinda slow for me. For the typing game and the iso rpg, there's about a thousand things I could do, but I don't know what to work on. It's easier when there's someone telling me what to do next, but I'm the lead on these two. I get random bouts of inspiration and add a nifty feature that I didn't think of in the design doc, then a dry spell while I stare at the code wondering what to do next. It might be staring at my ugly ass programmer art that's holding me back.

The one I do have art for is an underwater color-based bullet hell, which is going swimmingly. I get to add different steering behaviors which is interesting. And I'm using haxe, though I don't have any plans to make it a not-flash game.

Starting on the next juggernaut rpg in a few weeks, and it won't suck to code this time. I'm hoping the post mortem will be "Game dev was smooth, I had no problems." I suggested voice acting on a whim, and after dozens of responses from the collabinator, I think it's actually going in the game. If there are any issues, they will be because of that.

I guess screenshot saturday and wip wednesday didn't pan out for tom :(

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 14:57:42 Reply

At 7/29/13 01:27 PM, Rustygames wrote: What... what is this???

well, generally a list of words in a specific sequence is called "writing" :P
It's a giant-ass framework i'm still developing. It's getting closer, but these APIs are going to be a bitch, I can tell. I hate tedious work :(

At 7/29/13 01:56 PM, MSGhero wrote: The one I do have art for is an underwater color-based bullet hell, which is going swimmingly.

a-ha. A-ha, ha, ha.

BBS Signature
Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 15:31:17 Reply

At 7/29/13 02:57 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 7/29/13 01:27 PM, Rustygames wrote: What... what is this???
well, generally a list of words in a specific sequence is called "writing" :P
It's a giant-ass framework i'm still developing. It's getting closer, but these APIs are going to be a bitch, I can tell. I hate tedious work :(

I don't really get it still. So you've written alllllll those utilities you listed? And it all is accessible in one uber overall framework or is it just a bunch of utils?

What lang is it for? Who is the target? Surely all of those things are available in the form of many utils rather than one big thing?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 15:49:35 Reply

At 7/29/13 03:31 PM, Rustygames wrote: I don't really get it still. So you've written alllllll those utilities you listed? And it all is accessible in one uber overall framework or is it just a bunch of utils?

It's an actual framework. I made sure to do my research and think things through :P
It references itself quite a bit, and most of the classes use other classes i've created (for example, GWRect and GWPoint instead of Rect, Point, Vec2, etc etc. There's good purpose for these; mostly precision. Int vs double)

What lang is it for? Who is the target? Surely all of those things are available in the form of many utils rather than one big thing?

I thought use-case might come up. It's a game framework. Unfortunately I decided to target both 2D and 3D games (half of me thinks this was a mistake, but the other half is going "do you REALLY want to create two frameworks for 2D and 3D?")
Every util, library, engine, class, and function in this framework is designed specifically with games in mind. Every time I came up with a new idea, I thought "would I use this in a game? What would be the point?" - and I can tell you everything has a purpose.

The steam API and Steamworks, for example, is... Well, it's Steam. That should really be self-explanatory.
The Paypal API I can see being used for microtransactions (though i'm still deciding on Paypal vs some other service)
7zip is for assets, and string compression + JSON could be used to serialize objects to be sent from a GWClient to a GWServer or vice-versa.
If you're confused on the use-case of something, go ahead and ask :P

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 15:55:50 Reply

At 7/29/13 10:44 AM, Rustygames wrote: Personally I call it bitmappycopypixelsfromonebittoanotherbitcreatingtheillusiono fmovementing

I'm just a total pleb and just say 2D rendering.

At 7/28/13 02:05 AM, MSGhero wrote: Have you tried synctoy? I have it sync each of my project folders with its counterpart in the dropbox folder.

Windows only. Also if it's syncing that means it's overwriting the existing files anyway right?

I have nothing to show as usual. Maybe soon though, I'm hopefully getting my first smartphone.

nobody

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 16:09:17 Reply

At 7/29/13 03:55 PM, Innermike wrote:
At 7/28/13 02:05 AM, MSGhero wrote: Have you tried synctoy? I have it sync each of my project folders with its counterpart in the dropbox folder.
Windows only. Also if it's syncing that means it's overwriting the existing files anyway right?

I remember seeing mac alternatives. I have the project folder in my documents and a separate dropbox folder. The dropbox folder is my rollback in case I accidentally delete a line and exit FD before I notice (not happening again). I only update the dropbox when I've made progress and that progress is stable.

I have nothing to show as usual. Maybe soon though, I'm hopefully getting my first smartphone.

I just sold a smart phone via ebay. I would ask if you bought it, but it wasn't international :)

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 16:58:19 Reply

At 7/29/13 04:09 PM, MSGhero wrote: I have the project folder in my documents and a separate dropbox folder. The dropbox folder is my rollback in case I accidentally delete a line and exit FD before I notice

You should look into Git. It takes up a bit more space but from what I've used of it I quite like it as a revision control system.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 17:06:42 Reply

At 7/29/13 04:58 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: You should look into Git. It takes up a bit more space but from what I've used of it I quite like it as a revision control system.

I made a git for fun recently, I hadn't though about it for my actual games.

Maybe someone could make an open source game on git (with open bundle art and music), and the commits log could end up being like a tutorial of sorts...

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 17:22:43 Reply

At 7/29/13 05:06 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/29/13 04:58 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: You should look into Git. It takes up a bit more space but from what I've used of it I quite like it as a revision control system.
I made a git for fun recently, I hadn't though about it for my actual games.

Maybe someone could make an open source game on git (with open bundle art and music), and the commits log could end up being like a tutorial of sorts...

Flixel.org links to a few games whose code is on Github if I remember right. I'm pretty sure the guys that made Code Bummer (Frogger clone) have their code on Github as well.

I'd like to make a tutorial at some point. I'd decided that when I eventually do so I'd have the code on Github so better minds than mine can mock/improve my code. I'd never thought about using the commit log as part of the tutorial, it could be a really cool way to do it.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 18:54:48 Reply

At 7/29/13 04:09 PM, MSGhero wrote: I just sold a smart phone via ebay. I would ask if you bought it, but it wasn't international :)

Funny I've never actually been to eBay, for such a big cultural reference point I guess that's kind of odd. I guess it always sounded complicated and Amazon works so hey.

I have no cool updates sorry, and I think I'm having a negative amount of fun working on this, but at the same time I feel compelled to continue.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

nobody

Sam
Sam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 21:01:22 Reply

I had a burst of creative juices yesterday and drew up loads of concepts. Really eager to make a start on it but I've got a few things to wrap up first.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 21:18:07 Reply

At 7/29/13 09:01 PM, Sam wrote: I had a burst of creative juices yesterday and drew up loads of concepts. Really eager to make a start on it but I've got a few things to wrap up first.

I did the opposite. Been doing a lot of work on a lot of things lately and i'm really starting to burn myself out. Decided to take today and maybe tomorrow off to play games and watch movies.

BBS Signature
Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 21:31:35 Reply

I know all my work related posts are probably annoying people by now but I have one final question (promise), how do you avoid being homeless? I mean, I don't see a lot of homeless people but I know a bunch are unemployed right now. So like, what's up with that? Do you just take out a loan or hibernate under a rock or something?

Also, I just downloaded Flash CS3 (I don't have the patience or SSD space for 4 or 5 etc). I'm amazed at how quickly I could start doing stuff again after so long. I still think Adobe should have just developed a lighter, sexier native mac version but eh, it works.

Memories of all those animation drills I did *sigh*, simpler times.

nobody

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 22:26:57 Reply

At 7/29/13 09:31 PM, Innermike wrote: I know all my work related posts are probably annoying people by now but I have one final question (promise), how do you avoid being homeless? I mean, I don't see a lot of homeless people but I know a bunch are unemployed right now. So like, what's up with that? Do you just take out a loan or hibernate under a rock or something?

I don't even want to think about that. Taking out a loan hurts if you don't have any means of making the money+interest back in a decent amount of time. Most people hibernate in boxes under the interstate.

Also, I just downloaded Flash CS3 (I don't have the patience or SSD space for 4 or 5 etc). I'm amazed at how quickly I could start doing stuff again after so long. I still think Adobe should have just developed a lighter, sexier

Flash CC is lighter and sexier, idk if there's a native Mac version though.

Just got sent this for the iso rpg. Not too shabby. Gives me a good bit to work on now.

pirateplatypus
pirateplatypus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-29 23:28:46 Reply

At 7/29/13 10:26 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 7/29/13 09:31 PM, Innermike wrote: I know all my work related posts are probably annoying people by now but I have one final question (promise), how do you avoid being homeless?

A few years back I was homeless in the middle of winter in the Rocky Mountains. Unfortunately I wasn't the only hobo flying a flag that said "Will fix computers/write code for food." I eventually bartered some coding for a couch to crash on while I found a job, which later got sent to Indonesia.

Just got sent this for the iso rpg. Not too shabby. Gives me a good bit to work on now.

That looks really cool. I love me a good rpg.

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 05:16:31 Reply

At 7/29/13 10:26 PM, MSGhero wrote: Flash CC is lighter and sexier, idk if there's a native Mac version though.

It's lighter and darker ;)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 09:24:53 Reply

At 7/29/13 11:28 PM, pirateplatypus wrote: A few years back I was homeless in the middle of winter in the Rocky Mountains. Unfortunately I wasn't the only hobo flying a flag that said "Will fix computers/write code for food."

Yikes, I don't know if I could tough it out like that.

At 7/29/13 10:26 PM, MSGhero wrote: Flash CC is lighter and sexier, idk if there's a native Mac version though.

That icon is ugly as hell though.

Sexy

nobody

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 13:05:40 Reply

Sorry for double posting

Congrats to MSGhero on the 63,000 post. Also I never thought to put http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/578434/9999 on my start page to always go to the newest page, oh the hours I could have saved.

Also about Flash CC, it pisses me off that adobe can't even make the damn stage scroll properly, it's still janky as hell old mouse-wheel-three-lines-at-a-time style shit. I know it sounds nitpicky but theres just a lot of times I wonder what in the world they're thinking when they make new versions of this shit? All that being said, it's better than spending another 5 years on my cutscene editor, flash pro is still really good at what it does comparatively speaking. Or maybe that's just because I just have a history with it.

nobody

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 13:34:48 Reply

I had a strong need to derail this thread with my curiousity. But do you guys do other stuff outside of the computery things for fun / to unwind? I've taken a liking to film photography this year and I try to bring my camera along for my travels and just wanderings. I'll later eyedrop and make color palettes later as design inspiration or something.

What about you? Do you play guitar, are in a sports team, part of the choir, brew your own beer, etc. TIRED OF FLASH TALK.

None

Rustygames
Rustygames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-07-30 14:30:48 Reply

At 7/30/13 01:34 PM, Luis wrote: I had a strong need to derail this thread with my curiousity. But do you guys do other stuff outside of the computery things for fun / to unwind? I've taken a liking to film photography this year and I try to bring my camera along for my travels and just wanderings. I'll later eyedrop and make color palettes later as design inspiration or something.

What about you? Do you play guitar, are in a sports team, part of the choir, brew your own beer, etc. TIRED OF FLASH TALK.

I try and fuck around with the guitar now and again but I'm not very good.
I spend most of my time drinking, smoking, gambling; all the normal stuff.
Want to play more Starcraft, there is a new bar in London where they do a tournament every friday, so I want to brush up to avoid making a complete tit of myself (although it's not serious, so it's fun even if I suck).

Also I'm getting married, did I mention that?

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com