00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,882,915 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-05 22:36:50

At 7/4/08 04:21 PM, DougyTheFreshmaker wrote:
Unfortunately, it's beyond the capabilities of flash
In what ways?

It's different than the average tactics game i'll tell you that, but if I tell you why then it gives away what makes it original, and since i can't make it right away I won't be telling you what it is right now.

(so I'm waiting a few years and doing it for the xbox live arcade)
Why wait? You'll need an impressive demo (and maybe a good amount of luck) to get approved fro this. Are you intimately familiar with C++, DX and the programmable graphics pipeline? If not, it'll very likely take a few years to get there, and then still be a challenge to work on an unfamiliar platform. Or is that the reason for the wait?

I'm learning how to do c++ and 3D graphics and stuff in college. My 3D knowledge is very limited, and my c++ is basic at the moment. Plus, XNA uses c#.

And being able to make a live arcade game costs $99/year. That's why I chose that platform. It's a good way to get known without needing to get lucky with the licensing thing. Cause I can make it first.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-05 23:46:05

At 7/5/08 10:36 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 7/4/08 04:21 PM, DougyTheFreshmaker wrote:
Unfortunately, it's beyond the capabilities of flash
In what ways?
It's different than the average tactics game i'll tell you that, but if I tell you why then it gives away what makes it original, and since i can't make it right away I won't be telling you what it is right now.

(so I'm waiting a few years and doing it for the xbox live arcade)
Why wait? You'll need an impressive demo (and maybe a good amount of luck) to get approved fro this. Are you intimately familiar with C++, DX and the programmable graphics pipeline? If not, it'll very likely take a few years to get there, and then still be a challenge to work on an unfamiliar platform. Or is that the reason for the wait?
I'm learning how to do c++ and 3D graphics and stuff in college. My 3D knowledge is very limited, and my c++ is basic at the moment. Plus, XNA uses c#.

And being able to make a live arcade game costs $99/year. That's why I chose that platform. It's a good way to get known without needing to get lucky with the licensing thing. Cause I can make it first.

Me and my coders were talking about making a game for the live arcade in a bit, but we couldnt find the details about how to get the contract to have it on the xbox console library can you like explain how I would do that if you know?

thank you in advance.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 00:13:17

I guess I can respect that. I whatever is is could still be done in Flash (though probably scaled back). But whatev, if you wanna target the 360 then there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm learning how to do c++ and 3D graphics and stuff in college. My 3D knowledge is very limited, and my c++ is basic at the moment.

I've been to college, I have a degree in Computer Science (minor Math). I don't think college is going to be quite as helpful as you think. Don't get me wrong, you'll learn a thing or two no matter what your experience is currently, but ultimately it's just a process for getting a piece of paper. Chances are you won't be learning C++ or touching DirectX in school minus an optional class or two which still won't teach you close to what you'll need to know.

Learn to do this stuff yourself, and learn to do it well, and start figuring it out as soon as you have the time to. Even if you DO come across it later on in school, it'll be a snap since you've already got it down.

Plus, XNA uses c#.

There's a difference between the Creators Club (the $99 thing you speak of) and XBLA. In the past *(and my knowledge only extended thus far before my previous post) XBLA games were written using C++, XDK/DirectX, the programmable pipeline ONLY, etc. You submit a demo, which can be done in whatever language... absolutely does not matter. If MS is impressed by the game, you sign lots of stuff and get a devkit on loan to develop the game.

* As it turns out, there was a keynote in late Feb. in which it was said that XNA would soon be supported on XBLA. I'm not sure what the status of this is currently, but if this did go off without a hitch, then C# and XNA games could be translated to the 360 platform much more easily. Still, this is the 'new thing' not the de facto standard--that's C++/XDK/DX.

@Decade
http://www.microsoftcasualgames.msn.com/
developers_xla.htm

There's lots of info out there... keep looking.

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.

Freshmaking

Brainscrape

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 00:15:01

The whole XNA deal is pretty fun.. I downloaded it and made a pong game with nifty particle systems.. still need to finish it up but it works :)

Haven't really though about the whole live arcade thing yet.. seems a little far for me <_<

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 00:25:52

Hai.

I kinda lurk in the shadows.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 00:33:11

At 7/6/08 12:30 AM, DarkMana wrote: o hai dfb.
I just replied to your thread. :D

hai. Yeah kinda noticed. <3 Thanks.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 00:50:08

At 7/6/08 12:33 AM, Blaze wrote:
At 7/6/08 12:30 AM, DarkMana wrote: o hai dfb.
I just replied to your thread. :D
hai. Yeah kinda noticed. <3 Thanks.

Wow. i havnt seen or talked to you in forever. i remember we played guitar together over MSN or Skype or something XD

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 00:56:02

At 7/6/08 12:23 AM, DarkMana wrote: Sooo... a friend of mine convinced me to rent Heroes season 1... I think I'm addicted.

Bought it on HD DVD. Ive whent throgh it 2 times so far. Damn good show. 2nd season comes out at the end of Augest. Not waiting unstil fucking christmas this time. > : (

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 05:15:15

Heroes

Sooo... a friend of mine convinced me to rent Heroes season 1... I think I'm addicted.

It's a pretty damn good show, too bad Season 2 isn't quite as good as Season 1. I can't wait for S3 to start in september.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 07:17:38

Hey Guys.

I just came here to ask About some good Sprite sites for flash. I use Flash 8, Sprites not really my Thing, But I want to see how this pans out. If you guys are anything like me, You hate a million Short answered threads always popping up.

So If you can get me a good Sprite site, I'd appreciate it, I'm looking for all types of characters, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, Anything! Cheers.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 10:58:57

At 7/6/08 07:17 AM, iCurrie wrote: Hey Guys and Girls.
I just came here to ask About some good Sprite sites for flash...

Just do a forum search (the one at the bottom) and you'll get over 2,000 possible threads to sift through... like this one, for example. Off you go.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 12:31:58

Season 2 of Heroes was like eating dry turkey without gravy. It had substance but no flavour.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 14:31:21

At 7/6/08 12:31 PM, jmtb02 wrote: flavour.

You and your british-isms.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 16:19:34

NO DAMMIT WAT THE HELL WHY DOES SPAIN WIN EVERYTHING WTF I HATE MY LIFE DAMMIT FEDERER!!!!!!!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 16:23:21

At 7/6/08 12:25 AM, Blaze wrote: Hai.

Hai Blaze. I are mod now

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 18:20:04

Dark Fire Blaze for president!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 18:40:28

I'll agree to that ^_^

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 19:17:53

At 7/6/08 04:23 PM, KaynSlamdyke wrote:
At 7/6/08 12:25 AM, Blaze wrote: Hai.
Hai Blaze. I are mod now

Aw, does that mean i have to, like, respect you now?

<3

Awww, thanks guys. ^_^

I guess i'll be returning to the forums.. Even though this is my graduation year, It's nearly over. So uhm, the reason why i'm returning? I don't know if you guys've noticed, but... At least this is how i felt.

When i used to come to the forums, I knew a lot more than all of my friends and I was constantly researching or updating myself with new software and knowledge, now, I feel like all my friends are starting to come up to par with me xD And there's stuff I don't even know... I've learnt a lot in these forums, so i guess i'll come back to keep learning. :D

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 19:28:12

At 7/6/08 04:19 PM, Coolio-Niato wrote: NO DAMMIT WAT THE HELL WHY DOES SPAIN WIN EVERYTHING WTF I HATE MY LIFE DAMMIT FEDERER!!!!!!!

Haha I'm glad Spain won since I lived in Spain for 6 years and I would much rather live there now :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-06 23:55:26

oh? where do you live now?

ALSO!!:
i made a "teaser of sorts" .. picture, for Chapter 3 of my animated series.

Its not much, but i'm proud of the rose, shh. and lol, fall probobly, just because i'm SO EXCITED IN 4 DAYS I"M GOING TO SWITZERLAND ON THAT EXCHANGE PROGRAM!!! 6 weeks of epic fun-ness. that eats up prime animating time, idk if i'll finish before winter.. i'll try though =D

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 00:07:11

Hai <3

I need someone with paypal (who i can trust in ^^) that could do me a favor :D

You see, I live in Guatemala and paypal won't let me receive payments through paypal to my own account because i live in Guatemala, and apparently, they haven't given us the capacity to do that. I have the money ($100), well someone else has it, and I need to make a payment for a web domain ($60), and he can't transfer it to me and won't pay for me;

So ^_^ I'm in possition of begging. :D

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 00:50:20

In case anyone was wondering where my bizarre experiment was at.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 00:51:14

Just ask a mod to do it

It seems as if you Kayn get along well enough..ask him

:'(

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 13:05:10

Need ideas :3

Me and Sweetskater started making a game together, I'm using my Bitmapdate engine, and he's doing the art.
The idea was to make it like a survival game with 2 different play styles,one where you have enemy soldiers attacking your base and you have to stop them(you can buy your own soldiers, new weapons, rebuild your defense...), and one where you can attack the enemy base.

Our problem is now, that we don't know what enemies to add, or what weapons to give the player.
We already have what we have now, and some ideas, but not enough.

Enemies:
Tanks
Ninjas
Pirates for epic win
Normal guys with guns
Mortars
Static machineguns for more epic win
Miners to destroy your base faster
RPG-guys
Shield stuff
Wizards that can make/destroy bitmapdata :3

Weapons:
SMG
Shotgun
Machinegun
Bazooka
Lazer
Godpowers
Windball of awesomeness
Timed mines
Flamethrower???

You will control the leader, you can kinda buy new units and shiz.

So, we need ideas for enemies and weapons, and anything else you can think off actually.
Any help will be appreciated guys, we want to make this as epic as possible. : )

<3

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 13:23:14

At 7/7/08 12:50 AM, jmtb02 wrote: In case anyone was wondering where my bizarre experiment was at.

Can someone please summarise the discussion I have obviously missed here?

Click my sig for a hilarious thread.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 13:26:53

At 7/7/08 12:50 AM, jmtb02 wrote: In case anyone was wondering where my bizarre experiment was at.

Well it seems to be coming along nicely there. I think one day I may get a saltwater aquarium once I have my own place.

Right now I have a little 10 gallon freshwater one.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 13:27:10

To many modz in this forum i have nothing to do now.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 14:07:40

At 7/7/08 01:27 PM, Luis wrote: To many modz in this forum i have nothing to do now.

Ban them.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 14:35:08

Pixel Bender Toolkit

Who here's used it? It's on adobe labs if you don't know, used to be called AIF toolkit. Using the hardware to render images is really fun. I made a mandelbrot renderer, and you can scroll around and zoom in real time with it. It's pretty neat. Here's some sample images from it.

http://www.glaielgames.com/Images/Brot3.
jpg

http://www.glaielgames.com/Images/brot.j pg

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-07-07 14:52:23

At 7/7/08 01:34 PM, citricsquid wrote: Flash forum spam day? Sounds like a good idea.
Mods vs. Users.

We users have to fill a page with totally pointless topics before you can delete them.
To win it's either a page full of spam, or a page with no spam.

Sounds like it could be a flash game, someone get on that.

Animation - The act, process, or result of imparting life, interest, spirit, motion, or activity.