00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Elite Guard Barracks

2,970,487 Views | 60,515 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-05 18:38:48

At 4/5/18 06:27 PM, lalilulelo008 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/709197
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/709198
footage of powerpuff girls
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/709201
opening to dragon ball

Removed them all. Thanks for the report.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-06 01:07:54

@ADR3-N how does it feel getting treated to both a Roster AND a Litfam update each month? A rare honor I must say.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-06 01:51:21 (edited 2018-04-06 01:52:56)

At 4/6/18 01:07 AM, Jackho wrote: @ADR3-N how does it feel getting treated to both a Roster AND a Litfam update each month? A rare honor I must say.

It's kinda weird actually -- but I like a little regularity in my life. I'm also on the top 100 reviewers list each month. Definitely an honor to peg down the last spot on the list here though. The EGB has always felt like home.

I don't know how you and @byteslinger keep up such regular lists, btw. I'm awful at them.

One thing that gets me is when I have busy months and just don't have time to get around to the Portal. Gonna try to take a kaizen approach to it for the next few weeks -- 60 seconds a day, and see how that works out. One thing I wanna know is, how @GUTHRIE manages to keep up such blazing paces!

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-06 04:29:56

At 4/6/18 01:51 AM, ADR3-N wrote: I'm also on the top 100 reviewers list each month.

Having a look at this for the first time now, and holy heck - has @Auz been operating that thread alone for 13 years straight!? That's incredible. I wonder if the reading thread will still be kicking that far down the line...

Definitely an honor to peg down the last spot on the list here though. The EGB has always felt like home

Homeboys represent

I don't know how you and @byteslinger keep up such regular lists, btw. I'm awful at them.

I think byteslinger has her stats automated but I have to count mine manually like a doof, and I make mistakes almost every single time. Thank the NG gods for that edit button, but it's too late when I notice some. Funny how you sometimes only notice a problem the hundredth time you proof read.

Redoing the progress bars manually is the biggest pain in the doingus but at this point I'm COMMITTED.

One thing I wanna know is, how @GUTHRIE manages to keep up such blazing paces!

I honestly don't get it either, I manage to hit a fairly large % of what comes through the portal and he regularly has double the gain.

That said, my portal time has been tanked since I became an audio mod. Unpublishing audio is so time consuming that I've even missed my EXP deposit several times, visiting the portal just slips my mind entirely .>]cc'v;'fv;d'f.v;'f;.';v'/fx#/vd'fd#v/fd';v'/df (<- that's my cat kneading on my keyboard, I don't want to destroy her work for fear of wrath). I need to focus and better organize my time.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-06 06:19:45

At 4/6/18 04:29 AM, Jackho wrote: Having a look at this for the first time now, and holy heck - has @Auz been operating that thread alone for 13 years straight!? That's incredible.

It would seem so. Holy crap.

I wonder if the reading thread will still be kicking that far down the line...

Sometimes I wonder if I'll still be kicking 13 years down the line. If NG's still here and you think it's a worthwhile venture, it might. :)

Homeboys represent

#Salute

I think byteslinger has her stats automated

Yep. You can catch 'em on the barracks site.

but I have to count mine manually like a doof, and I make mistakes almost every single time.

Literally me. Thank God for @ChronoNomad -- although I'm still slowly learning my way around Google Sheets' conditional formatting.

Thank the NG gods for that edit button, but it's too late when I notice some. Funny how you sometimes only notice a problem the hundredth time you proof read.

Also, literally me.

Redoing the progress bars manually is the biggest pain in the doingus but at this point I'm COMMITTED.

Have you tried automating the process in any way, such as a template file?

I honestly don't get it either, I manage to hit a fairly large % of what comes through the portal and he regularly has double the gain.

He probably has Portal Guard -- or insomnia. Portal Guard should still be up on the old NGlogs site. Here. Assume it still works. If not I have a .zip somewhere.

Tbh, I wish we had something like PortalGuard for the Audio Portal, btw. @byteslinger, is this possible?

That said, my portal time has been tanked since I became an audio mod. Unpublishing audio is so time consuming that I've even missed my EXP deposit several times, visiting the portal just slips my mind entirely .>]cc'v;'fv;d'f.v;'f;.';v'/fx#/vd'fd#v/fd';v'/df (<- that's my cat kneading on my keyboard, I don't want to destroy her work for fear of wrath). I need to focus and better organize my time.

Oh, so that's why there's almost nothing left to do when I pop on! I'll have to catch you sleeping so I can get some real work in. :P Although I suppose I can always go digging through the old unscouted for an hour or so.

It's a bit like B/Ping though, so you have to watch it; if you find yourself strolling the servers day in and day out, soon enough, it starts looking like some shitty day job, and you don't want that. Trust me, personal experience. Hashtag obsessive manic phases. Definitely an exercise in patience and time-management.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-06 07:44:50 (edited 2018-04-06 07:58:11)

At 4/6/18 04:29 AM, Jackho wrote: but I have to count mine manually like a doof, and I make mistakes almost every single time.

Same, but with an excel spreadsheet. That makes it Adulting.

At 4/6/18 06:19 AM, ADR3-N wrote: He probably has Portal Guard -- or insomnia.

Both likely. I'll keep the portal open and refresh it now and again as I do other things. I can't do it at work due to filters, but I can get it on my phone during breaks. I can view some submissions and vote but since it's an iPhone HTML5 coded/any games don't load properly.

I've found the pace of the portal slow enough that I can get up at 6:30 am, vote on what's there, check again before work, then around lunch, and throughout the evening. If I go to bed around 10 pm I sometimes miss 3-5 due to insomniac voting, but if I go to bed around 11 pm that miss rate drops.

Also, thanks for the PortalGuard link. Now I can increase my efficiency. And my current (small) lead over GUTHRIE and byteslinger >:)

Now how do you fix the error I get and get this puppy barking?

The Elite Guard Barracks

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-06 14:57:37

At 4/6/18 07:44 AM, Peregrinus wrote: Now how do you fix the error I get and get this puppy barking?

You have to register that OCX with your O/S. This can be done as follows:
1) Open up a CMD window as administrator

2) In the command window, change to the folder where the OCX file is stored (the portal guard folder), ie:

CD \PG3 <- or wherever you copied it

3) Now register the ocx:

Regsvr32 MSFLXGRD.OCX

4) Now try Portal Guard again. If other messages pop up about unregistered components, repeat these steps for them

If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll help any way I can.

As for my stat management (@jackho, @adr3-n) - I've been automating stat collection for a while, and I will be introducing a completely new replacement for NGLOGS in the next few months. I'll be retaining all of the old history, but adding a lot more functionality as well as automated list maintenance, download capabilities, and of course, making it mobile friendly.

Portal Guard 4.0 is under design. It's going to be web based, not PC, and hosted on my development site. It will be html/javascript/php and run in a browser window, meaning that I won't have to worry about the client O/S anymore. I can add some logic to check for ALL portals and ALL new submissions, and leave it up to the user to pick and choose what to vote on.

And that's how I spend my evenings and weekends.

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-06 20:25:20 (edited 2018-04-06 20:25:33)

At 4/6/18 06:19 AM, ADR3-N wrote: He probably has Portal Guard -- or insomnia.

I've never used Portal Guard... and my insomnious nights aren't spent online. Lately I've been able to get by on checking the Portal at four times: right before I leave for work in the morning, during lunch, when I get home, and before bed.

I am interested to see how my B/P rate has changed lately. I've spent most of my waking hours in the last two months or so writing my thesis, and sent it to my committee last week. I've had a very skewed perception of time as a result.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-07 08:00:52

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-07 09:57:47

At 4/7/18 08:00 AM, Peregrinus wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/709279
Stolen from Homestar Runner.

At least they were smart enough to "credit" Homestar Runner

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-07 11:57:36 (edited 2018-04-07 11:59:07)

At 4/7/18 09:57 AM, ragnkinson wrote: At least they were smart enough to "credit" Homestar Runner

Makes it so much easier on the flag process. On that:

Stolen from Scirra Arcade.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-07 14:23:09

At 4/7/18 11:57 AM, Peregrinus wrote: stolen stuff

If only there was a bit more buffer to re-edit and add more. Instead I'll double post like a boss.

Stolen from A10. At least, this version has the A10 watermark, I'm sure it's in a ton of places.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-07 15:25:29

At 4/7/18 11:57 AM, Peregrinus wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/709290
Stolen from Scirra Arcade.

Been dealt with. Not stolen. For now anyway.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-07 15:29:12

Just in case Portal Mods did not see that last post or see this game flagged.

I've checked into it & it seems legit but I will be keeping an eye on that account just in case.

His Scirra account does seem to match his NG account.

Yes, I'm still alive & kicking.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-07 15:39:32

At 4/7/18 03:25 PM, gamejunkie wrote: Been dealt with. Not stolen. For now anyway.

Shame, Shame, Shame on me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-08 01:32:09

Possible theft

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRYFv34cPU

Usernames don't match, but the original video is unnoteworthy and a weird thing to steal so it may be original. Arguably unfitting for NG either way though.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-08 01:50:33

At 4/8/18 01:32 AM, Jackho wrote: Possible theft
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/709329
Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRYFv34cPU

Usernames don't match, but the original video is unnoteworthy and a weird thing to steal so it may be original. Arguably unfitting for NG either way though.

Unfitting indeed, as it is certified Youtube trash. Gone now, thanks for the report.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-08 17:27:17

An awesome game that is free, but the author is not the creator. What do we do?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-08 18:01:46 (edited 2018-04-08 18:12:45)

At 4/8/18 05:27 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: An awesome game that is free, but the author is not the creator. What do we do?

Seems like a flag to me. I appreciate that they encoded it into flash, and that iD gave it away, but it isnt their original content. It's already playable in a ton of places and downloadable on cnet.

Stolen alert:

From YouTube. I've contacted the author, who confirms they didn't upload it. See below.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-08 18:11:33

At 4/8/18 06:01 PM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 4/8/18 05:27 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: An awesome game that is free, but the author is not the creator. What do we do?
Seems like a flag to me. I appreciate that they encoded it into flash, and that iD gave it away, but it isnt their original content. It's already playable in a ton of places and downloadable on cnet.

It's a copy of an older submission by @mike.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-08 18:25:04 (edited 2018-04-08 18:34:51)

Another stolen one from previous submitter, different victim:

From Diamondcup67 on YouTube, who also confirmed it was stolen.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-08 18:27:40

At 4/8/18 06:11 PM, GUTHRIE wrote:
At 4/8/18 06:01 PM, Peregrinus wrote:
Seems like a flag to me. but it isnt their original content. It's already playable in a ton of places and downloadable on cnet.

Thanks for the info. It did look fishy to me.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-08 22:22:45 (edited 2018-04-08 22:37:57)

Pre-emptive “safe” notice: submissions from JohnimationStudios are legit. A new account to help expand his audience.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-09 01:27:44

At 4/6/18 02:57 PM, byteslinger wrote: As for my stat management (@jackho, @adr3-n) - I've been automating stat collection for a while, and I will be introducing a completely new replacement for NGLOGS in the next few months. I'll be retaining all of the old history, but adding a lot more functionality as well as automated list maintenance, download capabilities, and of course, making it mobile friendly.

YAY. I love the old one, but it lacks Art Portal stats, which makes me sad. And also, it has been calculating my time on NG wrong for... 7 years now. :P

Portal Guard 4.0 is under design. It's going to be web based, not PC, and hosted on my development site. It will be html/javascript/php and run in a browser window, meaning that I won't have to worry about the client O/S anymore. I can add some logic to check for ALL portals and ALL new submissions, and leave it up to the user to pick and choose what to vote on.

Nooooooooooo! I mean, yes, but I'll be super sad not to just be able to double click from my desktop. Unless you can develop it for something like the Opera sidebar, in which case I would use it religiously.

I was mostly just hoping for Portal Guard 3 plus the Audio portal. Although, the AP doesn't have a UJ, and it has 2 categories, scouted and unscouted. Perhaps it could work by querying and comparing the first page or two of each every so often so as not to be utterly laborious.

I'm also worried about internet impermanence. It's a phobia of mine. If I can't save it, I often feel like it isn't safe. That's one thing I like about the setup PG has now. That is, download and never have to worry about a server going down, since it's local.

I will try to adapt to using it either way, and ofc share it because it's incredibly more useful to me than my feed at present LOL. I imagine the folks over in the Top 100 Reviewers will appreciate it as well.

And that's how I spend my evenings and weekends.

I actually wish I was this smart. Then again I'm now spending my free time studying Music Theory religiously. No pun intended; a month ago, it was theology, Jesus, Genesis, and science.

At 4/6/18 08:25 PM, GUTHRIE wrote: I've never used Portal Guard... and my insomnious nights aren't spent online. Lately I've been able to get by on checking the Portal at four times: right before I leave for work in the morning, during lunch, when I get home, and before bed.

That's... somehow even more impressive.

I am interested to see how my B/P rate has changed lately. I've spent most of my waking hours in the last two months or so writing my thesis, and sent it to my committee last week. I've had a very skewed perception of time as a result.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Time flies... or drags, when you're doing serious business. What's your thesis on/for? You snagging a doctorate?

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-09 07:05:50

Shovelware Game from NsrEscapeGames:

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-09 07:36:38

At 4/9/18 07:05 AM, MchectorII wrote: Shovelware Game from NsrEscapeGames:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/709403

Yep. The NSR games one has been pretty constant the past month-ish. I'd reached out to them a few weeks ago (one of the previous-previous NSR games accounts) and got no response. I've sent them another tweet (new account, you never know).

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-09 10:53:38

At 4/9/18 01:27 AM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 4/6/18 08:25 PM, GUTHRIE wrote: I am interested to see how my B/P rate has changed lately. I've spent most of my waking hours in the last two months or so writing my thesis, and sent it to my committee last week. I've had a very skewed perception of time as a result.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Time flies... or drags, when you're doing serious business. What's your thesis on/for? You snagging a doctorate?

In one sentence, I analyze k-12 standardized test data using fluid mechanics models and machine learning techniques. I can expand on that if you want. My oral defense is set for a little less than two weeks from now, then I will (hopefully) be Dr. GUTHRIE.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-09 13:26:59 (edited 2018-04-09 13:32:10)

At 4/9/18 07:36 AM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 4/9/18 07:05 AM, MchectorII wrote: Shovelware Game from NsrEscapeGames:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/709403
Yep. The NSR games one has been pretty constant the past month-ish. I'd reached out to them a few weeks ago (one of the previous-previous NSR games accounts) and got no response. I've sent them another tweet (new account, you never know).

No need to 'reach out ' to this user. They submit shovelware, but keep returning. :\ Feel free to flag 'em.

Speaking of flagging...

At 4/8/18 05:27 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/709362
An awesome game that is free, but the author is not the creator. What do we do?

Same thing we do whenever anyone submit things they didn't create. :)

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-09 18:48:22

At 4/9/18 01:26 PM, Exedor wrote: No need to 'reach out ' to this user. They submit shovelware, but keep returning. :\ Feel free to flag 'em.

Can I quote ya on that? Not being punny. Just making sure we can indeed flag this guy's new submissions if they're constantly the same asset swatched lame games.

At 4/9/18 10:53 AM, GUTHRIE wrote: In one sentence, I analyze k-12 standardized test data using fluid mechanics models and machine learning techniques. I can expand on that if you want. My oral defense is set for a little less than two weeks from now, then I will (hopefully) be Dr. GUTHRIE.

Can't say I know anything about this, or what field it would be used in, other than determining if our kids are getting objectively dumber. Do feel free to elaborate, though.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2018-04-09 19:32:14 (edited 2018-04-09 19:38:03)

At 4/9/18 06:48 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 4/9/18 10:53 AM, GUTHRIE wrote: In one sentence, I analyze k-12 standardized test data using fluid mechanics models and machine learning techniques. I can expand on that if you want. My oral defense is set for a little less than two weeks from now, then I will (hopefully) be Dr. GUTHRIE.
Can't say I know anything about this, or what field it would be used in, other than determining if our kids are getting objectively dumber. Do feel free to elaborate, though.

I wouldn't expect anyone really to know about this stuff (other than me). Your statement about kids getting dumber is a widely-held belief that my work almost patently disproves. Kids' performance on these tests are, overall, constant in time, and are largely dependent on poverty level (see the attached image).

My work is a really strange application of physics and computer science. The data set that I've been analyzing, standardized tests in Texas, combined with student demographic information, is thought to be the largest educational data set in existence. There are about 5 million students in the Texas public school system at any given time, and they each take at least one standardized test per year. This huge amount of data lets us apply statistical methods usually reserved for analyzing the behavior of large numbers of atoms or molecules (statistical mechanics), which then allows for large-scale (statewide) analyses of the data, and informs us of small-scale (district or school level) changes in test scores over time.

The machine learning part of my analysis deals with how students are grouped in the data set. The Texas Education Agency (not the stuff I did) utilizes a k-nearest neighbor algorithm with a small number of factors (e.g., the number of students relative to the largest school, the percentage of English language learners, and the percentage of students who qualify for free/reduced price lunch) to calculate a campus comparison group for every school in the state. However, there are a few challenges associated with this approach - the comparison groups are highly interconnected and asymmetric (vary from school to school). The asymmetry of the grouping does not simplify the system under study, as well as it does not allow for the classification of the types of groups that are created.

In order to address these limitations, I developed a method for forming disjoint groups of schools in Texas using modern machine learning techniques (dimensionality reduction and clustering methods). I looked at test scores for students from each high school in the state and saw that the test scores were highly dependent on student poverty concentration. Inter-cluster comparisons allowed for the identification of a group of schools which significantly outperformed other groups with similar poverty levels. Intra-cluster comparisons were conducted which identified exemplary schools based on their outstanding performance compared to that of the average performance of their cluster.

The main reason I started this project was to try to find model schools in each group where students in one school were performing better than students in the other schools in their cluster, and I think I basically succeeded on all accounts... but am eagerly waiting to hear what my committee has to say about that.

The Elite Guard Barracks