00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Battle of the Audio Portal

28,011 Views | 237 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 18:04:21

At 5/22/05 05:52 PM, MrMcPooner wrote:
piepie
RuckloM
TenchuX
napalm6b

Just thought i'd be helpfull and show who is left, looks this contest is almost over.

Hey dude, where did the M in Rucklo come from?. There´s no "M" in Rucklo :P

/Rucklo without M.

ps go check out my new song. there i did it, advertised in the wrong forum. bwahahaha.

Wakka wakka

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 18:17:20

At 5/22/05 06:05 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 5/22/05 05:59 PM, Bjra wrote:
I'm so persistent on fixing the second.
erkie i would be willing to help with the second contest
I would just like to say FUCK the judge who gave me the LOWEST score out of ANYBODY!

.........thats a mature response for a +20 year old.....at least the other people who don't think they won said they would strive for improvment rather than cursing........also, I believe the scores are given by the compiled feelings of more than one judge.......by the way, your tied for the lowest as MANATEE_GOD also got a 6. Sorry for being harsh, but I don't really to see soar loosing.

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 18:20:06

At 5/22/05 06:08 PM, Bjra wrote:
I would just like to say FUCK the judge who gave me the LOWEST score out of ANYBODY!
*gets out magical chainswa repellent*

rofl.......*hides*

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 18:20:34

OH GOD THIS FAMILY IS FALLING APART.

Chrona, whoopdeedoo, you'll kick ass in the next one dude.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 18:34:52

<TENCHU>

Pros
Nice progression.

Cons
Lack of bass and lowered drums make it seem less full then it should have been.

Complexity: 6
Mastery: 9
Transition: 6
FX: 4
Build up: 7
Mood: Upbeat/Action

Overall: 7

<RUCKLO>

Pros
Fine Quality.

Cons
Recieved the non-english version.

Complexity: 5
FX: --
Mood: Humour/Acoustic

Overall: 8

<PIEPIE>

Pros
Well arranged melodies.

Cons
The echo/reverb was a bit much at times.

Complexity: 6
Transition: 4
FX: 6
Build up: 5
Mood: VG Remix

Overall: 7

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 18:39:41

At 5/22/05 06:34 PM, Erkie wrote:
<RUCKLO>

Pros
Fine Quality.

Cons
Recieved the non-english version.

Complexity: 5
FX: --
Mood: Humour/Acoustic

Overall: 8

Well, I gotta say I´m a little confused over my scores, I didn´t expect to get that high scores really... especially not mastery, since both vox and guitar took two takes each :D And quality... was that a pro? :D oh well, u guys r teh judges ;)
ANd btw, there are no english version, I only made a poor translation so u guys could understand what the song´s about.

Still, I´d love to see the full review, if there is any.

Thanx for a good initiative, I´m looking forward to the next competition!

/Rucklo

Wakka wakka

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 18:41:31

I liked my lil review for my song.

check my submission out
Here

thanks if u listen.
good luck trance competition pplz, the judgement will be soon (i hope lol)

rawr.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 18:54:04

Erkie, since u created this competition, I think u should start a new account called "BOTAP1" or whatever, and submit all the submissions there, if permission is given from all the competetors that is :D

U DON´T have my permission ;)harr harr

/Rucklo

Wakka wakka

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 19:01:48

Here's the catch, we review the song, but it doesn't necessarily go towards the finals, why? Because in the end, it's what sounds good.

Techno
1. JonH2O

2. SpacLock

3. Tenchu

4. Chronamut

5. Manatee God

Ambient
1. ChrisCornelSux11

2. Bjra

3. Intrinsik4

Trance
1. Psybot

2. Pandora_Tranquil

3. Extracy

4. B0UNC3

Other
1. PiePie

2. Rucklo

Loser
1. Erkie

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 19:05:42

There are a bunch of 8's...thats this contest....the judgment systems as well as your judges are flawed beyond reason. I think basically you had a bunch of people who got lazy or tired and just spit out scores without any true thought behind them. Also, having a separate group of judges for each type of music is wrong. If your going to judge a bunch of songs you dont have certain people for certain songs or it is not a just contest. You should have uploaded all the songs to a site for people to see things before the judgments were submitted.

http://theshizz.org/forum/inde...6f09b8010eba0a7b85e358a15ed302

This is a contest called Dwelling of the Duels. Every month they have a contest based on videogame music thats played with real intruments. When the judges vote they all have a certain alloted amount of points (10 I believe) to give out and they spread them across all songs. As you can see in the link it was a close battle last month. I know this contest is brand new, but relying on different sets of judges for different kinds of music is rather odd and creates a bias. If you want to have a fair judges competition I'd have at least 10 judges who judge ALL SONGS.

I take back what I said to Chronamut as he probably has every right to feel the way he did about his score. If all the participents in this contest could vote hear all the songs submitted and vote on who they thought was the best BESIDES their own you would have gotten a far better result than the score all these people received. For all I know (and no offence to anyone) a score that got a 6 or 7 here might have been the best song of the lot, but with the scoring and judgment system in hand there really is no winner in this contest. Just a lot of confusion and chaos brought on by a rush and tension to get things done, not carfull review.

If you want to redeem this contest in any way judgment wise. #1 id throw out all these review "scores" that have been given out. Then, all the people who participated in this contest, submit their songs on here to NG and have all the participents have a vote on who they thought were the top 3 songs. A 1st place vote would get 3 points a 2nd place 2 votes and a 3rd place 1 vote. I would then add it all up and the song with the most points wins. Peers voting amongst peers would give a far more fair result than this hidden judge stuff of whom we dont even know who they are or their musical qualifiations.

I'm going to bow out this thread now as I really have seen nothing that would want me to participate in your next contest, sorry.

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 19:08:43

I'm not as serious about the contest as you are, and quite aware how I can improve it. Artists want feedback, not reputations.

Thanks but no thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 19:23:15

You can find my submission here.

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 19:49:03

At 5/22/05 07:08 PM, Erkie wrote: I'm not as serious about the contest as you are, and quite aware how I can improve it. Artists want feedback, not reputations.

Thanks but no thanks.

No contest is perfect at start, but I think the point system mentioned is the way to go. Also, if you want a contest to go far you should be serious about it especially if your the host. In addition, artists want both feedback and reputations not just feedback. The point of a contest is to get a winner and such. If this entire thing is just to get feedback to artists on songs and not get a winner and such you shouldn't base it as a contest. It should be a review board for people who are trying to work on music and get feedback. If you wanted to make a musical contest I would probably do what that Dwelling of the Duel thing is doing. It seems like very orgnaized and fairly foolproof way to get a winner in a contest. This entire battle just seemed like a review board thing based on the opinions of 4-5 people to me, which is very narrow, and not an actually contest. Just my two cents and gl on your next move erkie.

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 19:52:32

Eh, for me it's a pain in the ass to handle. I'm very busy so don't expect much from me, if anyone would like to take over on BotAP v2, I'd love to give it to someone more responsible.

But whatever. I'm not going to sit and listen on lectures I don't need.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 21:20:52

screw u psybot, how dare you be better than me!!

HAIL ME

..... man even my COMPUTER hails me...

as you can see
here

and
here

=)

oh and mr. mc pooner, ur a fool.
its not like he goes and makes a contest every damn week.
plus ur contest sucks, its limited to 1 catagory, erkie managed to do almost the whole of electronica.

but yes i agree there should be more judges that arnt lazy, i hope erkie is gonna do the next competition with all this shit in mind.

rawr.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 21:26:44

erkie u should make like a site on www.freewebs.com, jus use one of their basic templates and make a site.

if you want you can use one of my old ones, (they can host the files) and i have about 6 more hosting sites that you can use for the music as well (ill jus clear off all the other shit i got on them)

but if u want (dont start b.o.t.a.p 2 untill u get the website set up nice n neat for the submissions, u know have catagorys, a rules page. blah blah)
You can use mine, jus get it off aim, i don wanna give the pass to everyone.

i can help if u want, im ok at building websites. (www.tangentfiles.tk is the only REAL website ive done)

then after u (or we) are done with the site layout you can tell everyone to send in their shit with www.yousendit.com to ur email, then we dont submit ANYTHING till ALL OF THEM are judged, then we put links to the songs on the site, our reviews, and the winners on the front page (get it?)

so tell me what u think, im always here if u need help

rawr.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 22:07:29

At 5/22/05 09:20 PM, Pandora_Tranquil wrote: screw u psybot, how dare you be better than me!!

HAIL ME

..... man even my COMPUTER hails me...

as you can see
here

and
here

=)

plus ur contest sucks, its limited to 1 catagory, erkie managed to do almost the whole of electronica.

but yes i agree there should be more judges that arnt lazy, i hope erkie is gonna do the next competition with all this shit in mind.

I just had come come back to see what was said...and my contest idea sucks because its limited to 1 category.........??? ummm there shouldnt be categories in a song contest bub. What if someone did a classical song...thats not concidered electronica. Its called the WINNER is the person with the BEST song not best trance, best techno, best other...etc..Also personally I wouldnt want someone who has stated he doesnt care or have responsibibility to handle a "contest"...if thats what you called this....BTW I believe all but 4 people tied for 1st place with a score of 8 "thats 10 people out of 14"..........I said it once and I'll say it again, this was not a contest it was a review board by people no one even knows. There was no winner, and I feel bad for people who put their time into a song they thought would get them a gold only to be shot down. oh and 1 thing when on earth did I even mention :making a contest every weak...if I did it, it would be monthly.....

http://dwellingoduels.rock-out.net/past/apr05/

that is a winner, the person with the gold trophey and how a contest should be run. If you think all the people on here who submitted their songs dont have any competative drive to win your mistaken. Whenever I do a contest, I do it to win not to read a review, im a competative person. I overeacted when I saw someone scream about their review, I had no clue it was going so bad thats why I made that huge post above about how you could fix it. Instead the response of my post to help this contest is quitting and defensive tones rather than resolve and an attitude of "hey we can fix it."

If Erkie is going to give up allready then I'd like to actually make a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner out of this entire thing on my peer 2 peer voting system. Rather than having strangers reviewing your songs, everyone just needs to open a new thread. On it all people who were in the contest should post a link to their song. After you have heard all the songs hopfully you will post your top 3 fav people in order of fav. The winner will be the song with the most points. I will not even participae in the voting if this goes down, only the people who made songs will...and you can't vote for yourself. Basically what the argument goes down to is winning. Contests are about placement not reviews and equality. Yes feed back is importiant to help you improve as a musician but being able to say "Hey I won a contest with this song" is a nice thing to do. However, if people just dont care then forget everything I said and enjoy your night. I wont bother reposting in this thread no matter what anymore unless there is any support for getting 1st 2nd and 3rd placements in this battle.

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 22:14:25

I just submittted my song that i entered to the BOTAP contest here it is http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.php?id=799195&sub=24936
so rev/review and let me know what u think

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-22 22:27:53

I'll still work on a BotAP v2, but it won't come soon, I'm burned out as I' am right now.

This will take a lot of work, Pooners system is too complex for my tastes. The judges aren't strangers but respected artists. I' am now biased against having any judges at all, it was my original intention two weeks ago to have a website, participant judges, multi contests, you name it I already had it planned, but I'm just busy as shit to write in the regulations.

I'd love to consider someone to take it on for me if they can do it better and soon, but I don't want to hear jack about it, watering me down with ideas won't make me call you master.

Give me a week or so. I'm tired of coming back to this thread. The contest is official scrapped for BotAP v2. Those in first place in their genre can consider themselves their own personal winner.

Dumpdove@hotmail.com. E-mail me with suggestions.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 00:53:20

At 5/22/05 07:08 PM, Erkie wrote: I'm not as serious about the contest as you are, and quite aware how I can improve it. Artists want feedback, not reputations.

Thanks but no thanks.

Artists want to be heard. The difference between an artist and a composer is that a composer happens to be a musical artist... I'm glad you're trying to provide a challenge for the NG audio artists through this contest and I'm assuming that's what this contest is for. Please try your best to make it enjoyable for the participants by selecting more tolerant judges, or a wider variety thereof.

-Extracy-

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 01:05:33

At 5/22/05 10:07 PM, MrMcPooner wrote:
I'd like to actually make a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner out of this entire thing on my peer 2 peer voting system. Rather than having strangers reviewing your songs, everyone just needs to open a new thread. On it all people who were in the contest should post a link to their song.

Hey I'm down. That sounds like a good idea to me. Someone start a new forum and let's all post a link to our submission.

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 01:54:40

lol my track wasn't even reviewed!!!!!!!

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 02:20:03

At 5/23/05 01:54 AM, napalm6b wrote: lol my track wasn't even reviewed!!!!!!!

just upload your song to the AP and submit a link to it on the post I made titled Battle of the Audio Portal - Submit. Im going to finnish this contest for everyone in an orderly, constructive and non confusing fashion to term who gets 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 03:44:49

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=274273

Read what has been written there and comply if you want to get a much more fair voting and score on your song via the peer 2 peer system.

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 03:51:05

At 5/22/05 03:43 PM, Pandora_Tranquil wrote: me n meh B0UNC3 is gonna pwnz j00 extracy.

so shhh

and trance judges, hurry the HELL UP!!! the "other" judges did their part, now do yours!

Fuck, listen... I'm going to go into too much detail about your "me n meh B0UNC3 is gonna pwnz j00 extracy". I hope you were just trying to throw a friendly challenge, but you took a shit on the years of work it took to perfect the art of the english language to the point we have today. Why did you type it like that? Does the "meh" make your dick look big? Does using the wrong conjugation of "to be" make you capable of time travel? What is "j00" supposed to mean? It seems to be a formerly clever combination of a german soft "j" and two zeros, but in my opinion, it's more conventional to simply write "you".

Second, there's the whole concept of stating you and B0UNC3 are better than me. Like sportsmen, artists don't make mention of this. You have no idea what kind of music I make outside of Newgrounds and I have no idea in terms of the reciprocal statement. Please correct me if you were simply delivering a friendly challenge. Try to avoid doing this on an internet forum. There are no emotions here. I cannot see your face. I cannot sense your feelings through the tone of your voice. Every letter is the same, we are all units here under screen names. We could be inventing ourselves. Come on man, you make such good tunes and you're pretty handy with the ware... don't ruin it with a shitty image.

I tried to say this as neutrally as possible out of my untouched respect for you, stranger. Please don't try to use irrelevant comments such as "If you have a life, why do you care about what's written in these forums": or "You know, you don't have to participate". I'm aware.

I don't think Chronamut's song deserved to be, haha, shat on. I listened to it. Though it lacks harmony and has minor problems with panning, which are probably fixed in the submission, it is an incredbile piece of experimental electronica, similar to something Nurse With Wound would make. Just for the effort it deserves more than a 6/10 : 60% : 3/5 : C- : 0.6

MrMcPooner, thank you for approaching the matter from such a calm and constructive manner. I know I am being a largemouth badass, but someone had to do the hitting. This contest completely missed its point and I'm glad you're trying to fix that. I will gladly participate in your idea.

B0UNC3, I'll need to talk to you on more private premises due to a little bit of confusion about Chronamut I'd like to solve, but I agree with your post preceding this one. Competition and true art never went together very well. Thing is, the songs we made were mostly made for this contest (I hope I'm right in most our cases?)... that's why mine wasn't extremely "musical", hahaha!

-Extracy-

P.S.: Listen, Erkie, this contest is only as hard to organize as it is hard to organize around 10 music sluts who just love music. I know tens of people like this. They can simply indicate their favorites and it's that simple. Why go through the trouble of making a review system here, when we can all have the reviews written by people who want to write them on the Newgrounds Audio Portal?

P.P.S.: English isn't my first language, now find me a typo :P

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 04:08:30

Glad you appreciate what im trying to build out of this crumbled wall, and yes I too think that retarted flaming has no place here.

At 5/22/05 09:20 PM, Pandora_Tranquil wrote: screw u psybot, how dare you be better than me!!

Even though he has acted quite rude in his defensive stance of Erkie's contest I'll still let him and his song be a part of the peer to peer thing I'm making. I really hope that all the music submitters in this contest will participate in the peer 2 peer voting system I have set up to end this contest on a better note.

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 08:50:14

uhm. . . sorry.
but i dont dicide that:P

its just very strange. why did B0UNC3 get a last place???
its like... against nature!

well thx for the rating all judges.

I wanna thank Mydnite for creating my awsome sig!

And be sure to check out my music ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 08:55:27

I just gotta say, that I feel a little sorry for Erkie.
Here he comes with a great idea of making a BATTLE (note; it never said song contest, it said BATTLE. There are slight differences, the way I see it), and what happenes?
There are like 12 submission (or something) from different artists.
But these "battlers" seem to take things waaaaay too serious. Instead of whta I think Erkie meant with the battle, ppl get pissed on each other for different stupid reasons. All of this because of a "battle". this aint (as far as im concerned?!) an official competition at all, its simply a fun thing for anyone who wanna get their songs listened too and judged by amateur judges.

So plz, take the battle for what it was, and chill the fuck out. Nothing have changed after the judges had done their parts, your songs still sound the same, there never were any big money or land involved in the prices, some ppl might have thought that they´d get the princess if winning, though...

I feel sorry for Erkie, that there are difficult people who messes about and takes out the spirit of the whole thing by complaining, "fighting", and just being straight out assholes. There are positive things though, i´ve seen you´ve gotten much feedback of how to imrpove this contest. That is, if u´re willing to make a sequel.
I hope u do, cause the basic idea´s a fun thing that might push ppl and make em improve their skills.

Oh well, whatever. I´m done.

/Rucklo

Wakka wakka

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 10:01:20

At 5/23/05 09:33 AM, Chronamut wrote:

No I made it go to a 3 ahahahha ( all hale PiePie)

my remix song of the contest song is doing a lot better in the portal it was on for like 2 hours and it already has 13 DL ahahah

Response to Battle of the Audio Portal 2005-05-23 12:43:41

At 5/23/05 08:55 AM, Rucklo wrote: I just gotta say, that I feel a little sorry for Erkie.
Here he comes with a great idea of making a BATTLE (note; it never said song contest, it said BATTLE. There are slight differences, the way I see it), and what happenes?
There are like 12 submission (or something) from different artists.
But these "battlers" seem to take things waaaaay too serious. Instead of whta I think Erkie meant with the battle, ppl get pissed on each other for different stupid reasons. All of this because of a "battle". this aint (as far as im concerned?!) an official competition at all, its simply a fun thing for anyone who wanna get their songs listened too and judged by amateur judges

I can see your point, that Erkie is trying to provide a fun challenge, but in my opinion the judging system is really flawed, which enrages most artists. Also, my giant message is mainly directed at Pandora_Tranquil who just had to go ahead and use retard flaming and ruin his online image in my eyes, which isn't a hard thing to keep up... So if Erkie is an intelligent guy, which I don't doubt, he'll take all our anger as feedback to create a neat-perfect BoTAP for next time. Oh and please don't make it as little as 1-2 minutes!!!

-Extracy-