00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

664,001 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-12 22:34:59

At 10/11/10 08:01 AM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 10/11/10 02:01 AM, Arcaniel wrote: I need to know about realistic drumkit plugins. The usual FPC sounds kind of lame :(
1 - You dont neccesarily need a plug-in, you just need nice samples.
2 - My guesses are that you arent mixing down your drum tracks using conv reverb, regular reverb, stereo imaging, compressors, or EQs--beccause if you were then youd know that FPC drums are not THAT bad by any means. The default FL Studio stuff comes in a very dry form--thats so you can easily tweak it to what you want.

Alright I gotta stop you here. The tom drum samples that come with FL Studio are TOTALLY NAFF.

Otherwise I mostly agree :p

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-12 22:40:24

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Cornandbeans used FPC samples in some of his songs and eq'd and compressed the shit out of them.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-15 23:16:17

At 10/10/10 02:08 PM, LaForge wrote: Sorry to bump, but I really need a solution, or doing these drums is gunna be a bitch.

Try using FPC or something and labeling the samples. thats all i got :(

bork bork bork

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-17 13:03:08

At 10/11/10 09:18 PM, Envy wrote: ive noticed maximus adds weird reverb and is crazy if you turn down the volume of the maximus.

phase cancellation.

Maximus delays the signal a fraction of a second, and if you turn down the wet/dry mix, they'll cancel each other out.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-17 23:54:31

Well everybody, this isn't about mechanics so much as it's about parameters and capabilities of the program itself. I've had FL Studio 9 for a little bit now, but I've never taken the time to sit down and learn to use it properly. Ive had my little bouts of fun with the riff maker, but as far as truly inspired work, I don't know HOW to make it. That part is easy, though. I can find videos for that, or post here if absolutely necessary. However, I need to know if this program can do what I want, in your opinions. I have great respect for the composers of Newgrounds and would greatly value your feedback on this.

I have music in my head I need to get out. It's almost exclusively classic orchestra pieces lately, though, with piano thrown in. Crisp, clean, and very quick. I need to know if Fruity Loops is a program that can produce a deep, clean, quality orchestra sound. Not only if it is capable of handling such a sound (because it was made to, not simply because its powerful), but if the samples I'd need for an orchestra are even out there in a capable format. Thanks in advance to whoever takes the time to help me out with this. I hope to contribute to this community soon. I want to do well from the start, though. So here I am, inquiring. :P

I think my imagination just murdered my conscience.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-18 00:55:39

At 10/17/10 11:54 PM, Penthos wrote: I need to know if Fruity Loops is a program that can produce a deep, clean, quality orchestra sound. Not only if it is capable of handling such a sound (because it was made to, not simply because its powerful), but if the samples I'd need for an orchestra are even out there in a capable format.

Oh god yes it is. The ONLY restraints to FL studio are in regards to movie cues in scores and external devices, but even then its still capable. The really high quality sound you are looking for is a combination of great samplers and great mixers (mixing engineers/producers/arrangers). You'll find that MANY people use FL studio for orchestral arranging. I dont want to advertise newgrounds artists that do, but there are many. Only a very trained ear could even tell the difference between live orchestrated classical music and the quality you CAN pump out of FL, but not FL studio alone, or any workstation for that matter. The real good quality comes in soundfounts, and plug-ins. I personally use East West Symphonics but there are TONS.

Search Ochestral sounds or plugins in the forum search bar on the bottom and you will find loads of discussions over which are the best. Recently posted was a bunch of FREE soundfonts too(get em before the links die).

This day and age its not so much about the program, its about YOU. What YOU know about effects, about program features, and about music in general. FL studio is definitely one of the quickest mind to music DAWs out there too, and there really isnt anything you cant pull off with it. ANYTHING I SAY.

That is all.

Cheers!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-18 01:44:21

Not only that, it gets crazier by the update. Now it's got its own pitch correction and harmonization software in the pipe and an increasingly-efficient interface (plus memory bridging!)

And free updates for life! It's crazy, crazy I tell you!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-18 02:49:02

So what you're both saying is that I have in my hands such a powerful tool that, if I were to train my mind to use it, I could accomplish endless wonders? Because that sounds awesome. I plan to make wonders. I'm currently downloading the soundfonts you linked your post to, and I am deeply grateful. While I believe my level of noobness is unprecedented when it comes to this program, I trust that these fonts will prove incredibly useful down the road. Thanks to both of you! I'm sure I'll be back with the most basic and moronic questions you can imagine in no time! :D

I think my imagination just murdered my conscience.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-18 12:01:18

At 10/18/10 02:49 AM, Penthos wrote: I were to train my mind to use it, I could accomplish endless wonders? Because that sounds awesome. I plan to make wonders.

It will be a long time to 'train your mind' to use it properly, like any DAW. FL isn't going to necessarily make that more stream lined for you. Its a long term time investment to get any good at it song writing.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-18 18:20:42

Hey guys. I just.. Obtained FL 9, and I'm doing pretty good with youtube tutorials so far, but i've got some unanswered questions.

The first of which being: How can I make a Snare. A really.. Snarey snare. Like really loud, really beefy, and has loads of decay. I plan on using if for a sort of climax transition.

If anything else comes up, you can bet i'll be back here lol.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-18 21:28:02

At 10/18/10 06:20 PM, Or4nges wrote: Hey guys. I just.. Obtained FL 9, and I'm doing pretty good with youtube tutorials so far, but i've got some unanswered questions.

The first of which being: How can I make a Snare. A really.. Snarey snare. Like really loud, really beefy, and has loads of decay. I plan on using if for a sort of climax transition.

If anything else comes up, you can bet i'll be back here lol.

That's a bit vague, but there's a few ways to go about creating a "big snare sound".

If you want to adjust the sound itself (more beater for a sound that cuts more easily through the mix, for instance, or more fundamental freqs for a slightly boxier sound) you should utilize some EQ (Fruit Parametric EQ2 is a good example of this plugin).

If you want to really really beef the snare up (make it "big") layering several different snare sounds (playing multiple snare samples at the same time, or even layering in samples that AREN'T a snare with samples of a snare, experiment!) can have really good results. Making sounds from more than one original sound is big in electronic music, for instance.

Other ways to increase the 'size' of your snare are to add reverb and delay (using the aptly named fruity reeverb/fruity reeverb 2 and/or delay bank/fruity delay 2 plugins). At least a little bit on many instruments is a good idea, and maybe you want your snare really effected (affected? I guess effected is what results from adding effects, though the effects affect the snare! I'll stop now before I hurt someone :p), but be careful not to go TOO overboard. Again experimentation (and comparison with what sound you want to get) are keys.

One final way to get size on instruments, like a snare, is to experiment with stereo widening. There are many ways to go about this, but the easiest (if not the most detailed) way is to simply crank that 'stereo widen' knob on the FL Studio mixer track all the way to 100% (or as wide as you want). Keep in mind that the middle begins to disappear the wider you make the sound, so 100% wide 100% of the time may not be what you want if you need it to both cut through the mix (which centered does well) and be very beefy at the same time.

That's it for now, but there's tons of other effects you can try, even ones like Fruity Blood Overdrive (a distortion plugin) or messing with compressors (compressing the attack to make the sound really LOUD is what compressors on drums are often used for, but of course you can do many other tricks with them as well, like sidechain the rest of your song, so it becomes quiet when the snare plays, thereby making the snare SEEM loud).

Or our old standby SoundGoodizer. Just please don't overdo the SoundGoodizer :p

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-18 22:12:57

In hindsight, I'm probably overdue for understanding what this means (and I've probably been doing it without my knowing), but....

Can someone explain to me what sidechaining means? Furthermore, how does one do it in FLStudio8?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-18 22:37:39

At 10/18/10 09:28 PM, Reaper93 wrote: Or our old standby SoundGoodizer. Just please don't overdo the SoundGoodizer :p

This was more helpful than I could have hoped! I just discovered a great many things in a few short paragraphs.

Thanks for theFL Studio, AND the grammar lesson :p

P.S. This applies to the whole response, although the Soundgoodizer was one of my favorite bits :D

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-18 22:41:49

At 10/18/10 10:12 PM, RetromanOMG wrote: In hindsight, I'm probably overdue for understanding what this means (and I've probably been doing it without my knowing), but....

Can someone explain to me what sidechaining means? Furthermore, how does one do it in FLStudio8?

When "X" sound is playing, the "Y" sound that is sidechained to "X" 'ducks' out when "X" is playing. That's the gist of it. An example of this would be an offbeat bassline sidechained to a 4/4 kick drum in dance/trance music.

and Nav made a flash tutorial on how to do it in FL years ago

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-19 00:15:51

Told you I'd be back :p

I'm having a dilemma: How do I fade in a single pattern? I know how to get the Master Automation up there on the grid, but I can't figure out how to do single patterns.

Help please :D

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-19 00:35:27

right click on the volume of the single channel and create an automation from there. The automation doesn't have to be made from the mixer.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-19 00:40:37

At 10/19/10 12:35 AM, Envy wrote: right click on the volume of the single channel and create an automation from there. The automation doesn't have to be made from the mixer.

... I love you.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-19 19:51:10

Yeah, before FL Studio 9.6 came up with the ability to copy values in automation clips I used to automate volume using the step sequencer's volume controls instead of automating the mixer's volume sliders just because I knew that the value of 100% was always where it started (my habit when it comes to that is to assign each thing to a mixer channel and adjust the mix volume using the mixer and leaving the channel volume at 100%... except if I need to automate volume. But when FL Studio 10 comes out and I bother to use it that habit won't be as relevant anymore because of value-copying in automation clips).

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-20 01:05:51

hey all, been a while. while not an FL specific question, i thought it'd be best to ask it here.

is there a way to trim stereo noises in a signal? for example, if i have a WAV file which has a sound panned center that I would really like to bring out, can i somehow decrease the volume of the sounds that are panned left and right?

thanks in advance, and forgive me if this is a stupid question, i am no audio engineer

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-20 23:30:19

when using the vocodex, and you use when of the add on synth effects(robot, supersaw, elderly, etc) there appears a piano keys deal on the bottom, is there a way to automate those keys so i can change the note of the instrument i have it attached to.
(you can actually get some REALLY cool effects out of it when using it on non-vocal instruments)

thanks if anyone knows

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-21 00:08:00

At 10/20/10 01:05 AM, vanguard182 wrote: Can i somehow decrease the volume of the sounds that are panned left and right?

Yup, add a Fruity Stereo Shaper effect and pull up the "right into left" and "left into right" knobs.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-21 16:50:04

Okay, so I'm kinda new to FL Studio, and I'm looking for FREE sounds. Those sounds that come with FL aren't really many, so I suppose there are a lot of downloadable sounds from teh internetz. Anyone care to give me good links (both to such websites and specific sounds)? I'd really like some good recommendations ^_^ b

Words of evil once tore me apart, what remains is not even a heart.

And if you look deeper into my soul, you will realize there is nothing but a hole.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-21 17:22:01

At 10/21/10 04:50 PM, UnknownOne wrote: Okay, so I'm kinda new to FL Studio, and I'm looking for FREE sounds. Those sounds that come with FL aren't really many, so I suppose there are a lot of downloadable sounds from teh internetz. Anyone care to give me good links (both to such websites and specific sounds)? I'd really like some good recommendations ^_^ b

I'll start by giving you a link to this, this, and this.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-22 10:56:01

At 10/22/10 10:46 AM, Skeepsis wrote: Can I organise the channels into folders to neaten things up a bit? For example, I want to put all the instruments that make the drum beat into one folder.

Yes, you can do this. Right click on the drop down box on the bottom left of the pattern sequencer, and click 'Add filter group'.

I'm not sure how you actually move channels to other groups though. To add new channels to a certain group, just select that group from the drop-down, then add the channel.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-22 19:51:02

Is it possible to use a keyboard for typing (the one you and I are using right now to browse and type on the internet) to make midi input? I've tried using external programs that are supposed to detect your keystrokes and convert them to midi input for programs like FL Studio, but no luck.

JUST CLICK IT!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-22 19:58:49

At 10/22/10 07:51 PM, TristanLuigi wrote: Is it possible to use a keyboard for typing (the one you and I are using right now to browse and type on the internet) to make midi input? I've tried using external programs that are supposed to detect your keystrokes and convert them to midi input for programs like FL Studio, but no luck.

Yes, it's built right into FL Studio, no need for external programs, there should be a toggle on the top on the tool bar next to the tempo and pattern (On the right of these 2), is a little toggle showing a picture of what looks like a half keyboard, half piano. Make sure the light beside that is on. And you should now be able to use your keyboard as a ghetto MIDI keyboard.

I'd provide a pic, but I recently reformatted and haven't reinstalled FL Studio again yet.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-22 20:05:26

At 10/22/10 07:58 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Yes, it's built right into FL Studio, no need for external programs, there should be a toggle on the top on the tool bar next to the tempo and pattern (On the right of these 2), is a little toggle showing a picture of what looks like a half keyboard, half piano. Make sure the light beside that is on. And you should now be able to use your keyboard as a ghetto MIDI keyboard.

I'd provide a pic, but I recently reformatted and haven't reinstalled FL Studio again yet.

I see, it's on, and I can press keys to make sounds, but it does not show up as actual notes that arre saved and played back in the Piano Roll, nor anywhere else.

JUST CLICK IT!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-22 20:11:49

At 10/22/10 08:05 PM, TristanLuigi wrote:
At 10/22/10 07:58 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Yes, it's built right into FL Studio, no need for external programs, there should be a toggle on the top on the tool bar next to the tempo and pattern (On the right of these 2), is a little toggle showing a picture of what looks like a half keyboard, half piano. Make sure the light beside that is on. And you should now be able to use your keyboard as a ghetto MIDI keyboard.

I see, it's on, and I can press keys to make sounds, but it does not show up as actual notes that arre saved and played back in the Piano Roll, nor anywhere else.

I'm just going to assume you know little to nothing about FL Studio just for the sake of making the elimination process easier, as I really don't know how good you are with FL, so don't be offended if this question should seem like a no brainer...

Is the Recording button fully lit? Does the tracker move through the piano roll when you hit play? Keep in mind the notes do not show up until you stop recording.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-22 20:16:35

At 10/22/10 08:11 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I'm just going to assume you know little to nothing about FL Studio just for the sake of making the elimination process easier, as I really don't know how good you are with FL, so don't be offended if this question should seem like a no brainer...

Is the Recording button fully lit? Does the tracker move through the piano roll when you hit play? Keep in mind the notes do not show up until you stop recording.

It's fully lit, and yes I suck and FL Studio XD because I don't know what exactly the tracker is, but I'm guessing it's that little column of lighter color that says the position of the song. And it worked. I think I was fooled into thinking it was not working because the notes don't appear until you hit stop. Oops, lol.

JUST CLICK IT!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-22 20:19:47

At 10/22/10 08:16 PM, TristanLuigi wrote:
At 10/22/10 08:11 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I'm just going to assume you know little to nothing about FL Studio just for the sake of making the elimination process easier, as I really don't know how good you are with FL, so don't be offended if this question should seem like a no brainer...

It's fully lit, and yes I suck and FL Studio XD because I don't know what exactly the tracker is, but I'm guessing it's that little column of lighter color that says the position of the song. And it worked. I think I was fooled into thinking it was not working because the notes don't appear until you hit stop. Oops, lol.

Yeah, I made the same mistake when I first started using FL Studio, most DAWs the notes show up as their played, not sure if FL waits to lower CPU load or something, but whatever the reason... If that was the problem, awesome. Have fun.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature