Blank Slate
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-14 14:21:47 Reply

At 7/14/10 02:06 PM, GamerMan7 wrote: Anybody try the new 9.5 beta? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgcoAAiYp WY

HOLY TITS

That automation point copy/paste is wayyyyy over due. I'll let you guys know how it goes later tonight

cgizzle
cgizzle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-18 17:38:22 Reply

Is there a way to make a certain note fade out in the piano roll?

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-18 22:10:44 Reply

At 7/18/10 05:38 PM, cgizzle wrote: Is there a way to make a certain note fade out in the piano roll?

There is probably about 10 different ways.

I would suggest either adjusting the ADSR envelope in the Channel Settings appropriately to give it a fading sound, or to draw in a custom volume envelope by right clicking the volume of that channel, and going to "Edit Events"

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-22 01:54:07 Reply

I've been having an issue in FL I can't get resolved. I am trying to load an swf file into the Fruity Video Player plug in. Only problem is, it doesn't load the video. When I load it up its just a blank screen. But if I hit play, I can hear the sound effects and dialogue for the video.

So it seems like it is registering the file. But it isn't actually playing the video. How do I fix this?

BBS Signature
Ampoule
Ampoule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-27 21:46:27 Reply

Didn't wanna make a new thread for such a mundane question. After seeing the position of this thread I figure it could use a bump anyway for the sake of the community, so here goes.

How does the shape of a headphone or instrument jack affect the quality of the audio? 1/8 in, 1/4 in, etc. Would scratching the metal, for instance, cause a decrease in quality? How about taking an entire chunk out?

I'm really just curious about everything regarding sound. This includes the physics, understanding how computers interact with it, digital & analog, etc. I'm frustrated that I can't find a good source of information for these topics, either. I own a book on FL studio and Dance Music Manual by Rick Snoman, but it's just missing some key information that I can't seem to find anywhere else. For example, he goes only lightly into information on the form of sound, how it affects what we hear, exactly what dB means in what context, frequencies, and the like.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-27 21:50:32 Reply

At 7/27/10 09:46 PM, Ampoule wrote: I'm really just curious about everything regarding sound. This includes the physics, understanding how computers interact with it, digital & analog, etc. I'm frustrated that I can't find a good source of information for these topics, either. I own a book on FL studio and Dance Music Manual by Rick Snoman, but it's just missing some key information that I can't seem to find anywhere else. For example, he goes only lightly into information on the form of sound, how it affects what we hear, exactly what dB means in what context, frequencies, and the like.

I suggest The Science of Sound as your next read. That's a very common sound designer text book. It will have your answers in it.

dj-Nate
dj-Nate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-27 23:06:43 Reply

This is something I've been trying to accomplish for, I dunno.. Five goddamn years!! Check out this Youtube video of Deadmau5's song The Reward is More Cheese: Clicky. You hear that half wahwah, half cutoff filter effect on that main synth? I've attempted to recreate this to no avail. Sure, there are presets that I can tinker with that can do this.. But what fun is that? I want to know how to actually do it myself. And I don't want to use an LFO, only because I want to control every aspect of it.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-27 23:14:36 Reply

At 7/27/10 11:06 PM, dj-Nate wrote: This is something I've been trying to accomplish for, I dunno.. Five goddamn years!! Check out this Youtube video of Deadmau5's song The Reward is More Cheese: Clicky. You hear that half wahwah, half cutoff filter effect on that main synth? I've attempted to recreate this to no avail. Sure, there are presets that I can tinker with that can do this.. But what fun is that? I want to know how to actually do it myself. And I don't want to use an LFO, only because I want to control every aspect of it.

Well then instead of making an LFO, just make a LP cutoff automation or envelope and shape it however you like. That's all it is really. Combine that with some gain pumping on a compressor, a hot kick, and some simple progressions, and you got yourself 90% of deadmau5 =/

No but really its a low pass filter most likely

dj-Nate
dj-Nate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-27 23:23:55 Reply

At 7/27/10 11:14 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: Well then instead of making an LFO, just make a LP cutoff automation or envelope and shape it however you like. That's all it is really.

Just that? A low pass cutoff filter? I've attempted this many times. Please, if you use FL Studio, show me an example. The sound of using just an LP cutoff just sounds shitty. Almost like its just turning the volume up and down. Perhaps I don't have enough high end in my bass to filter.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 00:25:50 Reply

At 7/27/10 11:23 PM, dj-Nate wrote:
At 7/27/10 11:14 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: Well then instead of making an LFO, just make a LP cutoff automation or envelope and shape it however you like. That's all it is really.
Just that? A low pass cutoff filter? I've attempted this many times. Please, if you use FL Studio, show me an example. The sound of using just an LP cutoff just sounds shitty. Almost like its just turning the volume up and down. Perhaps I don't have enough high end in my bass to filter.

Well thats where sound design kinda takes over. if you use FM synthesis with something like sytrus, you can layer different oscillators eacch with a purpose. A lower end oscillator you can use to create a sub feel to the synth, and have it do full on LP filter cutoff automations, but at the same time, layer a higher harmonic synth that is more for texture. With that you can do any number of things. You can use a peak controller to "sidechain" a number of effects from compressors to distortion to reverb to w/e. It sounds to me like he has even more then that, a 3rd higher harmonic that isn't being automated, to keep a consistantly to the timbre even when it changes, giving it that half filter effect. To find out exactly what it is, I'd have to play around with trying to emulate it. Which i've got time for, so i'll get back to you on that one

t-bone88
t-bone88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 18:27:40 Reply

Ok, so why are there douche bags out there voting damn good songs low? If they want their music to sound as good why can't they just PRACTICE and lay the hell off of the people that actually have a passion for making music! This isn't a question but more of a rant, it's bullshit!

I want opinions from people who love music, not to make music so they can feel like they're important

• ~Dance Like A Go-Go Girl~
    ~Dance Like A Go-Go Girl~ by t-bone88

Click to listen.

Score
    1.44 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Techno
    Popularity

above link is my newest song, please comment (constuctive) if you'd like, I'd really appreciate it fellow music passion lovers

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 18:33:25 Reply

At 7/28/10 06:27 PM, t-bone88 wrote: Wahhhh people don't like me so I'm gonna QQ for sympathy and hope it makes people like me more

QQ, this isn't the place, this is a question for fl studio thread....

KrisSumara
KrisSumara
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 18:45:56 Reply

Yo!, is it me or is FL 9.5 really laggy and kind of broken? I know it's a beta but still.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 19:55:45 Reply

At 7/28/10 06:45 PM, djsumara wrote: Yo!, is it me or is FL 9.5 really laggy and kind of broken? I know it's a beta but still.

No its not, its way better CPU/RAM wise, but it is kinda buggy (thats the beta part). You might have to change some audio settings around. For me i was having lag with starting and stoping the project, but what fixed it was turning off the "reset plugins on transport" option in the audio settings

dj-Nate
dj-Nate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 21:05:40 Reply

Here's a more advanced FL question I think, but I know it can be done. I want to create a nice, unique square wave based synth that has more and more vibrato the longer the note is sustained.

Or in other words:

omgplzhlp

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 21:08:12 Reply

At 7/28/10 09:05 PM, dj-Nate wrote: Here's a more advanced FL question I think, but I know it can be done. I want to create a nice, unique square wave based synth that has more and more vibrato the longer the note is sustained.

Or in other words:

omgplzhlp

mwahahaha. Im sure that wouldn't be too hard. Do you use the built in channel settings LFO's and envelopes?

dj-Nate
dj-Nate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 22:18:01 Reply

Yeah, more often than not.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 22:30:17 Reply

At 7/28/10 10:18 PM, dj-Nate wrote: Yeah, more often than not.

Just select pitch the INS tab of the channel settings, then right click the speed of the lfo and go to set>>1 step(always good to tempo match), then automate the gain. Pretttty simple. Or you can set a long attack for the LFO if you just want a relatively short note to do that.

dj-Nate
dj-Nate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 22:44:44 Reply

At 7/28/10 10:30 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 7/28/10 10:18 PM, dj-Nate wrote: Yeah, more often than not.
Just select pitch the INS tab of the channel settings, then right click the speed of the lfo and go to set>>1 step(always good to tempo match), then automate the gain. Pretttty simple. Or you can set a long attack for the LFO if you just want a relatively short note to do that.

Holy shit.. Yeah, I now have me a sexy ass sound. You're the fucking man.

Oh, and to whoever wanted to know about the science of sound, check this free book out: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Acoustics

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-07-28 23:42:20 Reply

At 7/28/10 10:44 PM, dj-Nate wrote: Holy shit.. Yeah, I now have me a sexy ass sound. You're the fucking man.

Thanks =)

Oh, and to whoever wanted to know about the science of sound, check this free book out: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Acoustics

Someone was asking about sound and I suggested the book called the science of sound, but still thats a damn good find. Now YOU'RE the fucking man.

Japillow
Japillow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-08-02 23:02:32 Reply

I've been having some problems with getting a strong, hard-hitting kick.
Can anyone give me some general tips?
I'd love to have my kicks sound like the kick One More Time (0:48) . Is there any way I can do this with FL presets?

Check out some of my music!

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-08-03 05:36:20 Reply

Hao to make the awesome whatever it is in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1N3_NUKx o4
??????

Like, the small 'ya' when the electro bit starts at 1:32. Would appreciate any advice ^^

P.S
U guise r kool

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-08-03 13:28:41 Reply

At 8/2/10 11:02 PM, Japillow wrote: I've been having some problems with getting a strong, hard-hitting kick.
Can anyone give me some general tips?
I'd love to have my kicks sound like the kick One More Time (0:48) . Is there any way I can do this with FL presets?

Kick sample to mixer. Add something to raise up the bass of 80hz-200hz range. Keep the freq range risen precise so you don't clutter the sound and get a muddy noise. Tack on compression that greatly raises overall volume output of the input signal (FL has a complete and drum presetting that do this). Add on soft reverb, like 20% mixed in with maybe 0.5-1second fade. If necessary add a limiter to add a ceiling so the kick doesn't redline.

There is no exact way to do what you want... but typically compression is going to be common for raising the punchyness. Fiddle with it until desired effect is achieved..

At 8/3/10 05:36 AM, DjAbbic wrote: How do I make the awesome whatever it is in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1N3_NUKx o4

Like, the small 'ya' when the electro bit starts at 1:32. Would appreciate any advice ^^

It sounds to me like a "yea" vocal clip that's been low pass filtered to have a rounded volume envelope (at parts its a sinewave giving it a sort of warbling noise). Bit crushed very heavily, with reverb added after.

P.S: U guise r kool

And you havn't even seen me strut.

BBS Signature
Japillow
Japillow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-08-03 13:54:24 Reply

Thank you so much! I'm still fiddling around with it in FL, but it starting to sound great!

Check out some of my music!

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-08-04 04:06:52 Reply

Ah, mind telling me what bit crushing is? :D

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-08-04 08:45:34 Reply

Sorry for double post and completely unrelated topic, but I have now seen that people use peak controller for sidechaining. Me, the weird guy I am, have been using Gross Beat's sidechain thing and playing around with it. Has anyone else here used it? O_o

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-08-04 10:52:30 Reply

At 8/4/10 08:45 AM, DjAbbic wrote: have been using Gross Beat's sidechain thing and playing around with it. Has anyone else here used it? O_o

I use grossbeat a LOT, and yes I think it's much easier to use this then setting up a controller IF you are setting it up for only 1 repeating pattern. For instance a lot of times you want to sidechain compression the rest of a track with vocals, which aren't a constant pattern trigger, so you wouldn't be able to use grossbeat in that case.

But for your typical trance/house sidechain kick synth kick synth pattern. Grossbeat is a nice shortcut.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-08-04 14:11:53 Reply

At 8/4/10 04:06 AM, DjAbbic wrote: Ah, mind telling me what bit crushing is? :D

In very very short description, you have a digital sound signal that sounds like a series of complex sine waves, but its all made up of very fine square waves that it sounds non-squarey to our ears, effectively 0's and 1's (open or closed). Pretty sure its called pulse code modulation. Anyways, bit crushing alters the signal speed, where at extremes either sounds ilke its not present, or you start hearing the rough square-clickityness. Most bit crushers have options though that will alter the sound to be less harsh, but still degraded sounding.

Sorry for double post and completely unrelated topic, but I have now seen that people use peak controller for sidechaining. Me, the weird guy I am, have been using Gross Beat's sidechain thing and playing around with it. Has anyone else here used it? O_o

Checked it at a friends, I find gross beat pretty overwhelmingly useless. It can work for side chaining a single track thats not dynamic or changing, but I'm pretty sure it uses more processing then the peak controller and that alone if you have like 10 of them in a song is a strong enough reason for my to shy away from gross beat.

Plus I'm running FL 8, so that hinders me from using gross beat too. :P

PM SessileNomad to link you to his review of grossbeat on youtube. It's a good angle to hear on the VST.

BBS Signature
JinNJuice
JinNJuice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-08-04 17:15:19 Reply

There are multiple ways to do sidechaining. I like a smooth sidechain, so I use Fruity Love Philter and automate the volume level. Simple and effective solution for me. -KN

Something needs to go here.