00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BACKRUMS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

662,046 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-24 12:50:12

At 10/27/10 07:30 AM, Skeepsis wrote: I used the Master Pitch slider (Just next to the timer in FL Studio 9) to change the overall pitch of one of my songs, but some sections suddenly sounded out of tune and inharmonious, whereas before they sounded perfectly harmonious at the original pitch.
What's going on? Isn't it supposed to change the pitch of everything, so every sounds pitch should be the same relative to the other instruments?

Most likely, you have "enable main pitch" turned off in some of your instruments' channel settings (under the misc tab).

Honestly though, you shouldn't ever change the main pitch. If you want to change key, it's much cleaner if you transpose the notes in the piano roll. If you want to set your song's pitch at a weird tuning "to sound artsy", please don't. It really throws people with perfect pitch off, and anyone who wants to play along or around with your song has to go through the trouble of transposing it.

Finally, please use this thread from now on for FL questions. I know you posted your "mellow lead" query in the FL thread first and didn't get an answer until you made your own thread, but that doesn't mean you should stop using this one.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-25 18:40:33

1. You need to switch the midi in/midi out connectors.
2. You don't have the proper drivers installed.
3. You didn't enable your keyboard in the midi settings of FL Studio.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-25 22:57:25

Heyy so this is a pretty stupid question but w.e i really need the answer =P

so i know how to make loops and beats and change the notes with piano roll, but how would i make the actual song (no loop or anything?)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-25 23:00:39

At 10/25/10 10:57 PM, BrandenPosts wrote: Heyy so this is a pretty stupid question but w.e i really need the answer =P

so i know how to make loops and beats and change the notes with piano roll, but how would i make the actual song (no loop or anything?)

take the loops you make in the piano roll/step sequencer, and arrange them on the playlist to organize your song.

The playlist is the big thing on the right

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-26 09:36:47

At 10/26/10 08:34 AM, Skeepsis wrote: I got a DirectWave program up in one of my channels. When I play around on the keyboard within DirectWave, the notes have plenty of sustain, which I want. But when I play the instrument with the piano roll, the notes have almost no sustain. Any help?

you dragged the notes as long as you want them to sustain right?

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-28 00:03:02

At 10/26/10 04:21 PM, Skeepsis wrote:
At 10/26/10 09:36 AM, Envy wrote:
At 10/26/10 08:34 AM, Skeepsis wrote: I got a DirectWave programBut when I play the instrument with the piano roll, the notes have almost no sustain. Any help?
you dragged the notes as long as you want them to sustain right?
Yeah I did. I don't know what's going on.

Go to the "Zone" tab on the left and change the ADSR to fit your needs.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-30 16:03:53

I have been trying to figure this out for a while now. Typically I export my audio into adobe audition and I am easily able to use dynamics processing to maximize song volume without sacrificing much in the way of dynamics.

However, in FL studio, I cannot seem to work the Fruity limiter (on mixer - master) successfully. It either clips, kills my dynamics and makes the song "swoop" with the beat, or it doesn't get near as loud as other submissions.

So what is the trick? Is the limiter not the tool? Should I be using maximus or multi-band compression?

Here is a link to the song I am trying to make louder:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 72675

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-30 16:32:19

This isn't a question or a response to one. I just thought that I would share something that I pumped out on flstudio. I'm working with the free demo version of fruity loops 8 and have to do things all in one whack so keep that in mind. Please rate and comment and I will do my best to return the favor. I am the Heartgrinder.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-10-30 20:09:13

At 10/30/10 04:32 PM, TheHeartgrinder wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 71186
This isn't a question or a response to one. I just thought that I would share something that I pumped out on flstudio.

This is not the right place for this. Try posting in the audio advertisements thread.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-01 21:11:50

How do I merge samples into one piano roll in FL Studio 9?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-02 11:34:47

I think what you're looking for is layering, which lets you play multiple channels/samples at the same time using a single piano roll. Add a layer channel to FL Studio. Select in the step sequencer all the channels you want played (ie highlight the green dots next to the channel names.) Then hit set children in the layer's channel settings.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-04 16:11:05

So, I started FL Studio this September, and I've never touched anything like it before.
The thing is, I just got it, messed around with it and all that. I've never read anything, and I think that might be a big problem.
This is some of the stuff I've made - don't expect good music:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/musikbha wt/diksinuras2.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/musikbha wt/industrialbeets.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/musikbha wt/moarbitspls.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/autismcr aft/rapecraftsong.mp3 - This one was made with Minecraft sounds, someone asked if it was possible.

So, guys, please give me tips, reading material, and all that. As you can see, I really need help.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-04 17:22:31

At 11/1/10 09:11 PM, Jnr1114 wrote: How do I merge samples into one piano roll in FL Studio 9?

Do you mean, having different instruments play on different keys of the piano roll? Like to put a drum-kit in it? If you do, you want to create a layer, and set all the instruments you want as the layer's children.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-05 15:45:55

At 11/4/10 04:11 PM, Inacio wrote: So, I started FL Studio this September, and I've never touched anything like it before.
The thing is, I just got it, messed around with it and all that. I've never read anything, and I think that might be a big problem.
This is some of the stuff I've made - don't expect good music:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/musikbha wt/diksinuras2.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/musikbha wt/industrialbeets.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/musikbha wt/moarbitspls.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4861882/autismcr aft/rapecraftsong.mp3 - This one was made with Minecraft sounds, someone asked if it was possible.

So, guys, please give me tips, reading material, and all that. As you can see, I really need help.

That's not really the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to ask specific or even general questions about the use of FL studio, not ask for tips on your music.

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-06 05:36:12

I have a rather strange question and I hope I'm just a noob and get an easy fix for this...

I use my computer's keyboard in FL and the keys always stick in FL and it's really irritating. I've googled with no results to various searches...strange I would have thought that would have happened to someone else...

Is that a basic function in FL? Or is this just an issue on my PC?

Oh, and there's a plug-in in FL called the "Fruity keyboard controller" with a button that says "auto release when no key is pressed." Doesn't solve the issue though.

Minecraft server: alureon.net

PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-06 06:57:14

At 11/6/10 05:36 AM, SeeD419 wrote: I have a rather strange question and I hope I'm just a noob and get an easy fix for this...

I use my computer's keyboard in FL and the keys always stick in FL and it's really irritating. I've googled with no results to various searches...strange I would have thought that would have happened to someone else...

Is that a basic function in FL? Or is this just an issue on my PC?

Oh, and there's a plug-in in FL called the "Fruity keyboard controller" with a button that says "auto release when no key is pressed." Doesn't solve the issue though.

So when ever you play something on your PC keyboard the notes don't fade away but keep on playing?

Well check you vst that you are using and check if you have some kind of "hold" feature and click it off. I'm not sure how to fix this but I would check out the vst that you are using or check the settings on your MIDI control in the settings pages in FL.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-06 10:37:16

At 11/6/10 05:36 AM, SeeD419 wrote:

This happens to me too, but only when I switch focus (e.g. when I open a menu in FL Studio) while holding down a note. What happens is FL Studio remembers you are holding down a note, but doesn't receive the note release signal since you switched focus.

I've never really played with this, but I always assumed it was useless.

At 11/6/10 01:53 AM, SeeD419 wrote: I was trying to match a piano I heard in another song for a lark mostly and I realized earlier that I had messed with like 25 different settings and it was super close but still not exact. My question is, does FL studio have the potential to match this sound? How much potential lies in this program really?

Oh god, infinite. First of all, there are probably hundreds of piano sounds available for free. Once you find one you like, you can change: EQ, compression, reverb, delay, chorus/unison, etc, etc, etc.

You can get a ton of piano sounds just using FL Keys and effects. There are knobs to fiddle with inside the plugin, and some good effects to add (which can dramatically improve the sound) are Fruity Reeverb 2, Fruity Parametric Eq 2, and Fruity Compressor.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-08 02:11:01

Ok, So i've got this HUGE string lead i've made out of a 3xosc with chorus, reeverb2 and *cough soundgoodizer cough*

However it seems to be eating up all my frequencies. I can't hear the hi-hats and the bass is suverely diminished.

I'm not turning it down as it's my intention to have it in your face at this part, but is there a way I can bring my other instruments to the front as well?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-08 02:22:02

That my friend is the purpose of mixing. Some good tips here.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-08 06:49:26

At 11/8/10 02:11 AM, Or4nges wrote: Ok, So i've got this HUGE string lead i've made out of a 3xosc with chorus, reeverb2 and *cough soundgoodizer cough*

However it seems to be eating up all my frequencies. I can't hear the hi-hats and the bass is suverely diminished.

I'm not turning it down as it's my intention to have it in your face at this part, but is there a way I can bring my other instruments to the front as well?

As has been mentioned, this is within the realm of mixing the track. As you say, it's "eating up all of the frequencies". There's three really obvious ways to get your track to gel.

1) Volume. I prefer changing the volume in the mixer, but some prefer changing it using the volume dial on the sequencer. The mixer has fuckin sliders so use the mixer since that's what it's designed for >: (

Some sounds need to be louder than others. That's just basic dynamics. The lead will be the loudest, accent instruments less loud. Moving on, next we have....

2) Panning. Again, preferably adjusted on the mixer (incidentally I wonder what happens if you make the panning on the sequencer have a fight with the panning on the mixer... probably nothing fun but I'll have to try it o.^~); At any rate, adjust the left-right balance of your track. If one thing is panned 100% right, and one other thing is panned 100% left, they can both be just as loud as each other except you can now hear both perfectly! (and without stereo image, oopsie!) Between volume and panning it's very easy to bring some things out. If the lead is up around -5dB (quite loud), and the remaining noise gets filled up with a rhythm section panned 75% right and a harmony section panned 75% left that's a lot clearer than if they were all just dead center.

3) Frequency. You said it yourself: it's eating up all of your frequency bands. If you want the bass to come through, cut some of the bass bands from the lead (the lead shouldn't be playing bass anyway unless there's no bass in the track!), if you want the hats to come through, cut out some of the extreme high end (7-10kHz+) from the lead. DO NOT BOOST WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR. This is a common mistake. You cut from what's blocking it, you don't boost what you want to push through. I mean you can, but it sounds kind of garbage and the other way is more effective like 99% of the time. So only break the rule if you know you're breaking it, much like writers and grammar :p

Some will say that you can use other effects to solve your problem ("you can compress it to make it cut through the mix while retaining a lower overall volume overhead!" they'll say, or "some delay will make it really fat without compromising blah blah blah!", and I'll be like "blah blah blah?", then they'll be all "blah blah blah, yeah." And I'll be like "oh no you didn't!" and - oh, right, I'm supposed to be helping you).

To this I say yes, of course, there are other mixing effects and tricks you can use you help gel the track together so it's not fighting. But those are the three main ones, as I've said, so use those first. If you really need a bit more spit and polish, come back and be like "bitch gimme my money back, that shit didn't help at all", and I'll be like "you never paid me anything I'm just ranting on a forum about how to mix stuff!" and then it'll be a bit awkward but I'll probably give the whole 'helping you' thing another go regardless.

Cheers!

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-08 10:19:21

At 11/8/10 02:11 AM, Or4nges wrote: Ok, So i've got this HUGE string lead i've made out of a 3xosc with chorus, reeverb2 and *cough soundgoodizer cough*

Turn it down. If its in your face then you won't be able to hear anything else unless you turn everything else up or know what frequencies to cut/boost in your lead and the other instruments. If it's so loud that everything else is covered then IT IS TOO LOUD, i dont care how much you want it in your face, if it's blocking everything else its not only a mixing problem but a VOLUME PROBLEM.

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-08 11:02:16

At 11/6/10 10:37 AM, defegistor wrote: I've never really played with this, but I always assumed it was useless.

Haha, oh wow yeah that's not at all what I thought it was.

You can get a ton of piano sounds just using FL Keys and effects. There are knobs to fiddle with inside the plugin, and some good effects to add (which can dramatically improve the sound) are Fruity Reeverb 2, Fruity Parametric Eq 2, and Fruity Compressor.

Nice, thanks for the really helpful reply.

At 11/6/10 06:57 AM, KrisSumara wrote: So when ever you play something on your PC keyboard the notes don't fade away but keep on playing?

Yeah, usually happens with Syrtus on any preset. Weird huh? No clue, if it starts pissing me off again I might come bitch about it some more, but it's usually when I'm testing presets and keep pressing keys that it happens. Sometimes it happens just from pressing a single key and has nothing to do with switching windows.

Minecraft server: alureon.net

PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-08 11:35:24

how would i go about automating volume control on the master channel in FL9?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-08 13:01:09

The usual right-clicking the volume control knob and selecting create automation clip should work.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-08 13:46:04

At 11/8/10 11:35 AM, ganon95 wrote: how would i go about automating volume control on the master channel in FL9?

Or if youre using an outside vst, touch the knob you want to automate, then in the down arrow in the top left of the vst select "browse parameters" click that then in the browser a bunch of stuff should appear, and "main volume" will be highlighted or whatever it is you touched.

But yeah, for the master channel the simple right click should suffice.

Wat

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-11 18:33:26

HOW DUZ 1 ABLE CHANGE COLOR OF CHANEL OF INSTRUEMNT???????? I TOO HAVE PROBLEM BUT CANOT SHORT CUT KEY ALT+C. HOW????

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-11 19:20:00

At 11/11/10 06:33 PM, Kalapsia wrote: HOW DUZ 1 ABLE CHANGE COLOR OF CHANEL OF INSTRUEMNT???????? I TOO HAVE PROBLEM BUT CANOT SHORT CUT KEY ALT+C. HOW????

... Right click the channel and go to rename.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-11 20:40:50

Control panel, audio options. Check what driver you are using.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-11 21:33:22

In the audio settings window, highlight 'auto close device.' This allows other applications to use audio when FL Studio isn't (but is still open).

However, ASIO4ALL is very picky about simultaneous audio use. Even if you download an ASIO playback plugin for your media player, ASIO4ALL won't let you use the media player and FL at the same time.

I've heard that some soundcards have their own ASIO drivers (e.x. CreativeASIO) that are more forgiving. Unless you upgrade though, I think you're stuck switching back and forth between ASIO and primary when using other applications.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-11-15 16:46:58

Here's a quick picture to describe what I'm having trouble with
I was wondering how to get the gray bars under your sample when you are layering to save room
In the pattern

I'd love a quick response but I'll take anything because I've been wracking my brain trying to figure this out

Ask your FruityLoops questions here