00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vilanael just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sound packs / Sample packs Usage

23,324 Views | 61 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-05-01 18:23:58

Hello ladies and gents.

There seems to be some confusion among users regarding the usage of sound packs, sample packs and all that kind of pre-made audio clips libraries on the Newgrounds audio portal.

This pointers apply to any audio clip library in existence (including your beloved cymatics).

Hopefully this will help to clear common doubts and misconceptions.

1 First and most important :

Relying solely or heavily on that kind of materials goes against the AP rules (no way around it).

This is true for every sound pack / sample pack by any author.

Dragging and dropping audio clips from libraries into your D.A.W.'s grid it's not considered original work in here.

That's in the same vein as playing with toys like Music Maker Jam, Groovepad, Garageband Live Loops, etc.

2 Common misconceptions :

The T.o.S. of my audio clip library state that the samples are free to use / royalty free.

That's fine and dandy. Please refer to number 1.

I'm combining / re-arranging the samples on my D.A.W. to make something different.

That's nice, you are starting to put a little work on it. Please refer to number 1.

All the sounds in my track are edits / snippets of the original samples.

Congrats ! Editing it's a valuable skill to make music. Please refer to number 1.

3 Is it allowed at all ? Yes it is , but ...

Any track you publish in here needs to have a BIG percentage of original work on it.

Here's how it goes :

Lets' imagine you are making a track. To keep it simple, let's pretend it includes the following 5 elements.

Drums , bass line , chords progression , melodies , misc. sounds or effects.

If 3 or more of the elements of your track are made out of pre-made audio clips, that's not enough to be considered original work in here. That's relying heavily on pre-made materials. So again ; Refer to number 1.

Please put more effort on your tracks. Other wise your audio will be subject for removal.

The minimum recommended ratio it's 40% pre.made vs 60% original.

That way it's safe to say your track it's mostly your own work even if pre-made clips were used.

4 Some practical examples :

Pre-made drums, pre-made bass, pre-made progression, pre-made misc sounds, original melodies.

Nope, that's a no go.

Pre-made drums, pre-made bass, pre-made misc. sounds, original progression, original melodies.

Almost there, but still it's a no go.

Pre-made bass, pre-made misc sounds, original drums, original progression, original melodies.

Now we are talking. A big part of your track it's original. That's good.

Pre-made drums, Original everything else.

That's great ! A minimum of sampling, mostly original work. You Sir, are serious about your music.

Final related notes :

Usage of individual samples (e.g individual kicks , snares , hits , etc) to build your own patterns it's perfectly fine.

Usage of synth preset packs to make your own melodies / progressions / bass lines, it's also perfectly fine.

Keep creating mates ! But please keep the clip libraries use at the minimum possible ;)

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-05-13 01:37:52

That's correct. Individual royalty free samples are fine if you make your own patterns / notations using them.

Think about it like instrument soundfonts usage.

You have the individual sounds, and then you create something original out of them.

At 5/11/20 08:55 AM, Seth wrote: So, to be clear, dropping (royalty free) 808 bass samples on a pitch shifter is just fine, so long as I write the piano roll myself. I guess the same would go for any other samples that are royalty free.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-06-25 14:24:06

Is it okay if I chop the loop and use it as a sample in a sampler to make melodies with it? So for example there is a choir loop, but I chop it to make one note of the choir and make a melody out of that one note I chopped. Would this be acceptable?

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-06-26 01:42:56

If the original loop is not from a copyrighted / unlicensed source, that's OK.

Individual sampled sound used to make original melody ; Counts as substantially original.

At 6/25/20 02:24 PM, FelixZophar wrote: Is it okay if I chop the loop and use it as a sample in a sampler to make melodies with it? So for example there is a choir loop, but I chop it to make one note of the choir and make a melody out of that one note I chopped. Would this be acceptable?

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-10-01 15:39:55

At 10/1/20 05:12 AM, TheVlogger110 wrote: When making a song on GarageBand and uploading it to Newgrounds, is it okay to create a beat and a fill using a virtual session drummer and then change the pitch using FX for your song?

Assuming the rest of the composition -- 60% at least -- is your original creation, yes, virtual session drummers should be fine. I consider it the same as using loops and samples, just with some fancier tools.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-10-15 11:40:44

At 5/1/20 06:23 PM, LexRodent wrote: Hello ladies and gents.

There seems to be some confusion among users regarding the usage of sound packs, sample packs and all that kind of pre-made audio clips libraries on the Newgrounds audio portal.
This pointers apply to any audio clip library in existence (including your beloved cymatics).

Relying solely or heavily on that kind of materials goes against the AP rules (no way around it).

Dragging and dropping audio clips from libraries into your D.A.W.'s grid it's not considered original work in here.
That's in the same vein as playing with toys like Music Maker Jam, Groovepad, Garageband Live Loops, etc.

The T.o.S. of my audio clip library state that the samples are free to use / royalty free.

I'm combining / re-arranging the samples on my D.A.W. to make something different.
That's nice, you are starting to put a little work on it. Please refer to number 1.

Congrats ! Editing it's a valuable skill to make music. Please refer to number 1.

Any track you publish in here needs to have a BIG percentage of original work on it.

Here's how it goes :
Lets' imagine you are making a track. To keep it simple, let's pretend it includes the following 5 elements.
If 3 or more of the elements of your track are made out of pre-made audio clips, that's not enough to be considered original work in here. That's relying heavily on pre-made materials. So again ; Refer to number 1.
Please put more effort on your tracks. Other wise your audio will be subject for removal.

That way it's safe to say your track it's mostly your own work even if pre-made clips were used.

Pre-made drums, pre-made bass, pre-made progression, pre-made misc sounds, original melodies.
Nope, that's a no go.

Pre-made drums, pre-made bass, pre-made misc. sounds, original progression, original melodies.

Pre-made bass, pre-made misc sounds, original drums, original progression, original melodies.

That's great ! A minimum of sampling, mostly original work. You Sir, are serious about your music.

Final related notes :
Usage of individual samples (e.g individual kicks , snares , hits , etc) to build your own patterns it's perfectly fine.
Usage of synth preset packs to make your own melodies / progressions / bass lines, it's also perfectly fine.

Keep creating mates ! But please keep the clip libraries use at the minimum possible ;)

What does this mean for classical 90s Drum and Bass like music which heavily relies on third party samples?

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-10-16 02:22:23

At 10/15/20 11:40 AM, LostChronology wrote: What does this mean for classical 90s Drum and Bass like music which heavily relies on third party samples?

Style purism aside, the rules would be same for every genre.

It's ok to use some samples here and there (with the right license terms of course), as long as most of the track it's original. This also would apply to old school hip-hop and other music made using similar techniques.

Some extra amount of original work it's needed to avoid falling into drag n' drop / duplo territories.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-10-16 07:23:33

At 10/16/20 02:22 AM, LexRodent wrote:
At 10/15/20 11:40 AM, LostChronology wrote: What does this mean for classical 90s Drum and Bass like music which heavily relies on third party samples?
Style purism aside, the rules would be same for every genre.
It's ok to use some samples here and there (with the right license terms of course), as long as most of the track it's original. This also would apply to old school hip-hop and other music made using similar techniques.
Some extra amount of original work it's needed to avoid falling into drag n' drop / duplo territories.

Ah I understand, yeah the best Drum and Bass of the 90s usually wasn't drag 'n drop made haha.

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-11-06 19:32:02

At 10/15/20 11:40 AM, LostChronology wrote:

Here's how it goes :

Nope, that's a no go.

Final related notes :

What does this mean for classical 90s Drum and Bass like music which heavily relies on third party samples?

*cries in amen break*

Composer | Voiceover Casting Director | Sound Designer

Support me on Patreon | Join my Discord Community

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2020-11-24 08:22:30

Thank you! now everything is more clear, i'll take more care with what i post here ^^

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-04-03 02:13:11

That's a good question Flyingduck91.

If the samples used come from a copyrighted audio source, it doesn't matter if most of it it's original work.

It goes against the rules, so it's not allowed. The only way to make a legitimate remix of copyrighted materials it's to acquire licensing rights from the artist and/or the organization representing the artist.

At 4/2/21 06:58 AM, Flyingduck91 wrote:
Reply: there was a remix that got deleted and it had 60% original but if the samples are from a song that has copyright it it still alowed? I don't know if the original had copyright but I'm still going to ask

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-05-02 10:47:09

Is it okay to use my song "Rigged" that is a electronic-like song that keeps looping 4 a little, then stops?

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-05-03 00:31:10

At 5/2/21 10:47 AM, hoopsagamma wrote: Is it okay to use my song "Rigged" that is a electronic-like song that keeps looping 4 a little, then stops?

If the looping part it's original work, there should be no problem.

It's only against the rules when the sounds are not your own creation.

BBS Signature

honestly I've been sampling kicks from tracks I buy that I play out in gigs and I cut everything except the kick, cut the highs and keep the low end and then add a higher end myself for its own punchiness, because most kicks in sample packs I find are absolute garbage and they don't have proper sub, or its just boosted to hell around 90-110 hz and if you try cutting it it ruins the sound LOL

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-05-16 05:53:00

At 5/15/21 11:27 AM, Sequenced wrote: honestly I've been sampling kicks from tracks I buy that I play out in gigs and I cut everything except the kick, cut the highs and keep the low end and then add a higher end myself for its own punchiness, because most kicks in sample packs I find are absolute garbage and they don't have proper sub, or its just boosted to hell around 90-110 hz and if you try cutting it it ruins the sound LOL

True.

PM me if you need custom music for your project. Any genre.

-Noob Music-

ProjectSoary's Audio (newgrounds.com)

BBS Signature

Hey, so I just made a little thing in chrome music lab using the song maker. Would that be ok on the audio portal or no?

lol hi ._.

follow me on ng for cool stuff! i promise it’s cool!

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-05-21 02:13:15

At 5/20/21 07:56 AM, aidnic wrote: Hey, so I just made a little thing in chrome music lab using the song maker. Would that be ok on the audio portal or no?

If you did your own notations using the instruments and sounds built in it , I see no problem at all.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-05-31 13:43:43

Maybe I missed this entirely, but what about Kontakt instrument libraries and the like? They use "samples," but are more or less their own instrument. I use these a lot for orchestral pieces, so if they're categorized here as "samples," then I'm kind of in the shit (a long with several others) xD

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-05-31 14:35:43

At 5/31/21 01:43 PM, Phantassimo wrote: Maybe I missed this entirely, but what about Kontakt instrument libraries and the like? They use "samples," but are more or less their own instrument. I use these a lot for orchestral pieces, so if they're categorized here as "samples," then I'm kind of in the shit (a long with several others) xD

Unless those libraries are made from copyrighted samples of copyrighted songs, you're in the clear. And failing that, unless your song is entirely made of loops (I know some sample instruments are loop libraries) you should be totally fine.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-06-04 09:49:36

bro I agree completely I tried looking for a good hard bass kick for like 10 minutes and all of them were like melodic

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-06-06 09:33:15

So you are allowed to use individual kicks, snares, etc. from a sample as long as the vast majority of your song isn't made from premade samples/loops?

I was under the impression that the rule meant "only use green samples from GarageBand." But I've watched tutorials for GarageBand where individual beats were taken from the blue loop library. So as long as you're not taking entire drum lines from the loop library I should be fine, right?

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-06-06 14:17:54

At 6/6/21 09:33 AM, TheGrassGuy wrote: So you are allowed to use individual kicks, snares, etc. from a sample as long as the vast majority of your song isn't made from premade samples/loops?

I would say you can take any drum loops you like, as long as you write the song, and none of the samples are copyrighted :) It's just encouraged to make the sounds as much your own as much as possible.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-06-24 21:30:30

Here's how it goes :

Nope, that's a no go.

Final related notes :

I wish I could make good melodies and stuff. then I wouldn't use loops.

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-06-25 03:01:02

Even if the pre-made materials are against the NG audio portal rules, you can use them as a learning tool.

Practice the major and minor scales and soon you'll get the gist.

At 6/24/21 09:30 PM, MoonOwO wrote: I wish I could make good melodies and stuff. then I wouldn't use loops.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-07-06 17:59:17

It's good to have an explanation.

I remember when I first joined Newgrounds, I thought it was a bad thing to use premade drum samples and effects (even though most people don't know how to make original ones)

It took me some time and adaptation to figure out what I could and couldn't do, but I eventually got it :)

Imagine being french

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-07-11 05:58:28

Something a true composer does by heart coz of his/her pride: never steal (by purpose) - just be inspirated.

At 7/6/21 05:59 PM, X3LL3N wrote: It's good to have an explanation.
I remember when I first joined Newgrounds, I thought it was a bad thing to use premade drum samples and effects (even though most people don't know how to make original ones)

It took me some time and adaptation to figure out what I could and couldn't do, but I eventually got it :)

If you ever feel frustrated with the limitations of coming up with sounds the hard way, you can always go find the most horrible sounding, unusable, and mediocre instruments and samples out on the web and turn them into something beautiful through processing. Listen to any of the last five songs I've put out. Getting a good sound out of an ugly chipset or sample pack someone threw to the winds is inspiring! For the purposes, I highly recommend FX plugins like Drip, KSHMR Essentials (Kick version is free, although it can be used with other instruments), and some sort of psychedelic delay, maybe a gate here or there.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, and is usually free

BBS Signature

The way I look at loops and samples is that whenever I write a song and I want a real saxophone or a real violin I use samples or loops. Let's face most of us musicians cannot play multiple instruments, I myself can only play piano and some guitar. But what if my song calls for a female singer or a real bass instrument that's when samples and loops come to play. Most of us can't afford studio musicians so loops and samples can help us add new realism to our music. I agree you shouldn't rely solely on loops and samples, for an example,  I take a sample for instance a vocal sample and build my song around that say sample. You can do the same with bass loops or drum loops. Most of us can't play bass, drums, flute, violin, sing or piano, but that does not mean we don't want those instruments in our song. I am fortunate to be able to play the piano and have a few synthesizers that mimic all those instruments, but as real as most of them sound, it still not the real thing. So I look for samples that has realism to them and build my song from there. I hope what I wrote will inspire someone and give a different perspective on how and why some of us use samples and loops. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and never stop creative the best music you can create. 

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-07-23 02:30:55

At 7/22/21 07:44 AM, DigitalProdigy wrote: The way I look at loops and samples is that whenever I write a song and I want a real saxophone or a real violin I use samples or loops. Let's face most of us musicians cannot play multiple instruments, I myself can only play piano and some guitar. But what if my song calls for a female singer or a real bass instrument that's when samples and loops come to play. Most of us can't afford studio musicians so loops and samples can help us add new realism to our music. I agree you shouldn't rely solely on loops and samples, for an example,  I take a sample for instance a vocal sample and build my song around that say sample. You can do the same with bass loops or drum loops. Most of us can't play bass, drums, flute, violin, sing or piano, but that does not mean we don't want those instruments in our song. I am fortunate to be able to play the piano and have a few synthesizers that mimic all those instruments, but as real as most of them sound, it still not the real thing. So I look for samples that has realism to them and build my song from there. I hope what I wrote will inspire someone and give a different perspective on how and why some of us use samples and loops. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and never stop creative the best music you can create. 

There will be always a "legit" way to incorporate sampling into an original creation.

One of the best possible examples are Soundfonts and other specialized virtual instruments.

Those are based on individual samples packed in a UI that enables us to easily make our own notations as well as modifying the original sound via plugins, effects, and other stuff in our D.A.W.

It's easy to find a lot of good ones for free if you know where to look.

By using those, If you know how to compose, there is no need to know how to play all the instruments you wish to have in your pieces. That's a common thing among composers.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-07-23 08:07:05

At 7/23/21 02:30 AM, LexRodent wrote:
At 7/22/21 07:44 AM, DigitalProdigy wrote: The way I look at loops and samples is that whenever I write a song and I want a real saxophone or a real violin I use samples or loops. Let's face most of us musicians cannot play multiple instruments, I myself can only play piano and some guitar. But what if my song calls for a female singer or a real bass instrument that's when samples and loops come to play. Most of us can't afford studio musicians so loops and samples can help us add new realism to our music. I agree you shouldn't rely solely on loops and samples, for an example,  I take a sample for instance a vocal sample and build my song around that say sample. You can do the same with bass loops or drum loops. Most of us can't play bass, drums, flute, violin, sing or piano, but that does not mean we don't want those instruments in our song. I am fortunate to be able to play the piano and have a few synthesizers that mimic all those instruments, but as real as most of them sound, it still not the real thing. So I look for samples that has realism to them and build my song from there. I hope what I wrote will inspire someone and give a different perspective on how and why some of us use samples and loops. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and never stop creative the best music you can create. 
There will be always a "legit" way to incorporate sampling into an original creation.
One of the best possible examples are Soundfonts and other specialized virtual instruments.
Those are based on individual samples packed in a UI that enables us to easily make our own notations as well as modifying the original sound via plugins, effects, and other stuff in our D.A.W.
It's easy to find a lot of good ones for free if you know where to look.
By using those, If you know how to compose, there is no need to know how to play all the instruments you wish to have in your pieces. That's a common thing among composers.

I truly agree, the problem for some people they do not know how to compose. They have an ear for music, but just didn't have the chance to learn to play an instrument or simply just can't.

simply dragging and dropping sample packs into a daw seems lazy and unoriginal to us musicians, but honesty there are many many famous DJ's who music is just that and they make millions. Hint the name DJ, for the most part they are not musicians, but make no mistake, there is an art to mixing and matching samples and loops its not as simple as just dragging and dropping them into a daw to some of the serious people who wants to make music. I get it why newgrounds want to limit those people who does that, but if done correctly by someone who at least know a little music theory and does not play an instrument, they can create beautiful and interesting music.

But to your point, that is exactly what I do I find the most realistic samples and compose them using my keyboards, but not everyone is as fortunate as us musicians and they still just like us would love to make music.

My point is I understand newgrounds rules, but using loops and sample packs is not a bad thing like most musician think it is, if done correctly and that person really take their time and mix and match carefully, they can come up with some very awesome music. You still need to know your notes and stuff for your music to stand out. You can tell the serious person who really understand music and take their time crafting and carefully mixing loops and samples to the ones who simply just dragging and dropping As a musician I am not upset with people who chose to do that while it took me many many years to master how to play piano, to me its just another way of creating music. That's just my two cents about this subject.