00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vilanael just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sound packs / Sample packs Usage

23,323 Views | 61 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-07-24 02:16:49

At 7/23/21 08:07 AM, DigitalProdigy wrote:
I truly agree, the problem for some people they do not know how to compose. They have an ear for music, but just didn't have the chance to learn to play an instrument or simply just can't.

True. While now days, there's a lot of easily accessible options to learn how music works without the need of academic music theory or instrument lessons, it's a looooot easier if one can apply it with the help of an instrument.

simply dragging and dropping sample packs into a daw seems lazy and unoriginal to us musicians, but honesty there are many many famous DJ's who music is just that and they make millions. Hint the name DJ, for the most part they are not musicians, but make no mistake, there is an art to mixing and matching samples and loops its not as simple as just dragging and dropping them into a daw to some of the serious people who wants to make music. I get it why newgrounds want to limit those people who does that, but if done correctly by someone who at least know a little music theory and does not play an instrument, they can create beautiful and interesting music.

I agree with your point regarding DJ's ; Their stuff it's quite impressive from a technical stand, it requires a high level of skill and control of their own tools as well as a great musical ear.

My point is I understand newgrounds rules, but using loops and sample packs is not a bad thing like most musician think it is, if done correctly and that person really take their time and mix and match carefully, they can come up with some very awesome music. You still need to know your notes and stuff for your music to stand out. You can tell the serious person who really understand music and take their time crafting and carefully mixing loops and samples to the ones who simply just dragging and dropping As a musician I am not upset with people who chose to do that while it took me many many years to master how to play piano, to me its just another way of creating music. That's just my two cents about this subject.

^ This is exactly what is all about ^

As we know, the Newgrounds Audio Portal it's a place heavily focused on musicians who showcase their original work ; there's plenty of composers and true artists who make awesome stuff from scratch.

For all those fellows making music by other means (specially involving a lot of pre-made materials :D) there's plenty of places all around the web for them to show what can they do with their own resources and means.

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-07-24 09:56:23

At 7/24/21 02:16 AM, LexRodent wrote:
At 7/23/21 08:07 AM, DigitalProdigy wrote:
I truly agree, the problem for some people they do not know how to compose. They have an ear for music, but just didn't have the chance to learn to play an instrument or simply just can't.
True. While now days, there's a lot of easily accessible options to learn how music works without the need of academic music theory or instrument lessons, it's a looooot easier if one can apply it with the help of an instrument.

simply dragging and dropping sample packs into a daw seems lazy and unoriginal to us musicians, but honesty there are many many famous DJ's who music is just that and they make millions. Hint the name DJ, for the most part they are not musicians, but make no mistake, there is an art to mixing and matching samples and loops its not as simple as just dragging and dropping them into a daw to some of the serious people who wants to make music. I get it why newgrounds want to limit those people who does that, but if done correctly by someone who at least know a little music theory and does not play an instrument, they can create beautiful and interesting music.
I agree with your point regarding DJ's ; Their stuff it's quite impressive from a technical stand, it requires a high level of skill and control of their own tools as well as a great musical ear.

My point is I understand newgrounds rules, but using loops and sample packs is not a bad thing like most musician think it is, if done correctly and that person really take their time and mix and match carefully, they can come up with some very awesome music. You still need to know your notes and stuff for your music to stand out. You can tell the serious person who really understand music and take their time crafting and carefully mixing loops and samples to the ones who simply just dragging and dropping As a musician I am not upset with people who chose to do that while it took me many many years to master how to play piano, to me its just another way of creating music. That's just my two cents about this subject.

Your last point is exactly why I am so happy I found this site and why I became a supporter immediately. There are plenty of sites for DJ's or just people who uses pre made loops and samples, because those sites want people to produce music that sounds like popular musicians and producers. Where we musicians who actually play instruments and write music from scatch could not compete against them because our music are "to original". So I had no choice at the time to incorporate loops and samples in my music so I can at least get some attention. That's how I learned to mix loops and samples with my original music.

I am so happy now I have found a site where now I can drop those pre made loops and just focus on writing music from scratch again like I used too. It will take some time to get back into doing that, so in the mean time I am glad that NG allows the use of some samples and loops.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me, I have learned a whole lot with just the little time I have been on this site and I will continue to support everyone that wants to showcase their original music.

At 7/22/21 07:44 AM, DigitalProdigy wrote: The way I look at loops and samples is that whenever I write a song and I want a real saxophone or a real violin I use samples or loops. Let's face most of us musicians cannot play multiple instruments, I myself can only play piano and some guitar. But what if my song calls for a female singer or a real bass instrument that's when samples and loops come to play. Most of us can't afford studio musicians so loops and samples can help us add new realism to our music. I agree you shouldn't rely solely on loops and samples, for an example,  I take a sample for instance a vocal sample and build my song around that say sample. You can do the same with bass loops or drum loops. Most of us can't play bass, drums, flute, violin, sing or piano, but that does not mean we don't want those instruments in our song. I am fortunate to be able to play the piano and have a few synthesizers that mimic all those instruments, but as real as most of them sound, it still not the real thing. So I look for samples that has realism to them and build my song from there. I hope what I wrote will inspire someone and give a different perspective on how and why some of us use samples and loops. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and never stop creative the best music you can create. 

You can actually use virtual instruments for almost every instruments you can think of instead of using pre-made loops/samples but, unless you're ready to invest quite a bit of money, they sadly don't have nearly as much articulations as a real instrument would and might not sound realistic at all; which can do for certain styles but you will struggle writing an epic score, obviously. I try to minimize the amount of samples I use (I barely use any cause I feel guilty using them lol) so I'm a big fan of the Kontakt instruments. While being sampled instruments, most of them, at least the ones I use, consist of one shots/raw samples with quite a few articulations which gives you about the same freedom a real instrument would give you. Only problem for most artists is the price tag coming with it. ^^

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-08-17 22:42:52

At 8/17/21 10:12 PM, NemiraDesu wrote:
At 7/22/21 07:44 AM, DigitalProdigy wrote: The way I look at loops and samples is that whenever I write a song and I want a real saxophone or a real violin I use samples or loops. Let's face most of us musicians cannot play multiple instruments, I myself can only play piano and some guitar. But what if my song calls for a female singer or a real bass instrument that's when samples and loops come to play. Most of us can't afford studio musicians so loops and samples can help us add new realism to our music. I agree you shouldn't rely solely on loops and samples, for an example,  I take a sample for instance a vocal sample and build my song around that say sample. You can do the same with bass loops or drum loops. Most of us can't play bass, drums, flute, violin, sing or piano, but that does not mean we don't want those instruments in our song. I am fortunate to be able to play the piano and have a few synthesizers that mimic all those instruments, but as real as most of them sound, it still not the real thing. So I look for samples that has realism to them and build my song from there. I hope what I wrote will inspire someone and give a different perspective on how and why some of us use samples and loops. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and never stop creative the best music you can create. 
You can actually use virtual instruments for almost every instruments you can think of instead of using pre-made loops/samples but, unless you're ready to invest quite a bit of money, they sadly don't have nearly as much articulations as a real instrument would and might not sound realistic at all; which can do for certain styles but you will struggle writing an epic score, obviously. I try to minimize the amount of samples I use (I barely use any cause I feel guilty using them lol) so I'm a big fan of the Kontakt instruments. While being sampled instruments, most of them, at least the ones I use, consist of one shots/raw samples with quite a few articulations which gives you about the same freedom a real instrument would give you. Only problem for most artists is the price tag coming with it. ^^

I agree, that's why I use my Yamaha PSR SX900, it was very expensive, but it gives me realistic instrument sounds and articulations. I am a piano player , so mimicking other instruments took a few years to get it to sound like I am playing that instrument, unfortunately not everyone can get their hands on such instruments and samples, so pre-made loops are their go to for music. I still use some because they give me inspiration, then I take that inspiration and make it my own. It helps with music theory and song structure, its like a road map to music. You read it, then take your own path to your musical journey.

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-08-17 22:46:22

At 8/17/21 10:42 PM, DigitalProdigy wrote:
At 8/17/21 10:12 PM, NemiraDesu wrote:
I agree, that's why I use my Yamaha PSR SX900, it was very expensive, but it gives me realistic instrument sounds and articulations. I am a piano player , so mimicking other instruments took a few years to get it to sound like I am playing that instrument, unfortunately not everyone can get their hands on such instruments and samples, so pre-made loops are their go to for music. I still use some because they give me inspiration, then I take that inspiration and make it my own. It helps with music theory and song structure, its like a road map to music. You read it, then take your own path to your musical journey.

Absolutely. You can even base your song on a sample then get rid of it. I've seen a few artists doing that; makes it easier and you got yourself a fully original song!

is this why one or more of my audios was removed? things i've made over a year ago and forgot about? completely revoking my audio scout privilege? I wasn't given a single warning, not even a notification that they were deleted. Not a single reason given why? Could've given me a notification telling me, "hey bro be careful this isn't 'creative' enough, and could fuck you over entirely if you don't delete it in a week." I got nothing like that. I'd like those privileges back. Making a mistake over a year ago, and then being punished for it now with not a single warning or reason, having to find out why myself and coming across this thread? That's extremely shady, and dare I say, horrible moderation.

I'm trying to become a better musician on my own time, slowly moving away from using loops, and finding vsts and instruments so i wont have to use a loop of an instrument i cannot play. now being unable to scout other musicians because i was never warned or notified? jesus christ.

Hello PlutoIsntReal.

At 10/25/21 12:23 AM, PlutoIsntReal wrote: is this why one or more of my audios was removed? things i've made over a year ago and forgot about? completely revoking my audio scout privilege? I wasn't given a single warning, not even a notification that they were deleted. Not a single reason given why? Could've given me a notification telling me, "hey bro be careful this isn't 'creative' enough, and could fuck you over entirely if you don't delete it in a week." I got nothing like that. I'd like those privileges back. Making a mistake over a year ago, and then being punished for it now with not a single warning or reason, having to find out why myself and coming across this thread? That's extremely shady, and dare I say, horrible moderation.

You guessed correctly. That's the reason why you lost your scouting privilege, which isn't that bad if you think about it ; Any rule breaking audio can be a reason to get banned (which you didn't).

Here's the thing about getting a previous warning : You did.

The audio portal guidelines appear right in front of our eyes before we are able to publish any track.

Here's an excerpt of the rules in that matter :

" You may not use stock loops/samples in an unoriginal arrangement.

There are plenty of pre-made loop packages available. Simply mixing these loops isn't your own original work; you will need to make more effort to create something unique. "

Also another part of the audio guidelines says :

" If you have any queries on whether something is acceptable or not, ask an audio moderator. "

So, there's nothing shady going on in that regard either.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2021-10-25 11:55:26

At 10/25/21 02:22 AM, LexRodent wrote: Hello PlutoIsntReal.

At 10/25/21 12:23 AM, PlutoIsntReal wrote: is this why one or more of my audios was removed? things i've made over a year ago and forgot about? completely revoking my audio scout privilege? I wasn't given a single warning, not even a notification that they were deleted. Not a single reason given why? Could've given me a notification telling me, "hey bro be careful this isn't 'creative' enough, and could fuck you over entirely if you don't delete it in a week." I got nothing like that. I'd like those privileges back. Making a mistake over a year ago, and then being punished for it now with not a single warning or reason, having to find out why myself and coming across this thread? That's extremely shady, and dare I say, horrible moderation.
You guessed correctly. That's the reason why you lost your scouting privilege, which isn't that bad if you think about it ; Any rule breaking audio can be a reason to get banned (which you didn't).

Here's the thing about getting a previous warning : You did.
The audio portal guidelines appear right in front of our eyes before we are able to publish any track.
Here's an excerpt of the rules in that matter :

" You may not use stock loops/samples in an unoriginal arrangement.

There are plenty of pre-made loop packages available. Simply mixing these loops isn't your own original work; you will need to make more effort to create something unique. "

Also another part of the audio guidelines says :

" If you have any queries on whether something is acceptable or not, ask an audio moderator. "

So, there's nothing shady going on in that regard either.

The exact problem is one of my completely original audio's that used 0 samples was taken down. I spent hours on that and I was proud of it. It was something I was proud of sharing, so seeing it taken down for a false reason sucks. I want it back up.

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-05-10 03:50:13

I assume these audio rules also apply for when you add sound to animations you make @_@

Well if you know of any good places to find free non-copyrighted audio samples. That'll be pretty helpful.

Because I don't have any instruments @__@

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-05-10 16:02:59

At 5/10/22 03:50 AM, Dolorious wrote: I assume these audio rules also apply for when you add sound to animations you make @_@
Well if you know of any good places to find free non-copyrighted audio samples. That'll be pretty helpful.

Regarding music, I would use audio from the AP. It's better than Kevin McLeod.

As for SFX, a lot of times I'll sample a random YT video and process it myself, or find a royalty free sample library. Be careful not to violate licenses by sampling something, also. See that the author of the content does not prohibit transformative works. I say this a bit loosely as if it's not an iconic sample, a lot of times they'll fly under the radar.

There are also plenty of artists and sound designers here on NG. You can post a listing for a collab. Be sure to specify what kinds of sounds you're looking for. Most of us in the Audio Portal would be thrilled to be featured in your animations. The possibilities are endless.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-05-10 16:20:45

At 5/10/22 04:02 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 5/10/22 03:50 AM, Dolorious wrote: I assume these audio rules also apply for when you add sound to animations you make @_@
Regarding music, I would use audio from the AP. It's better than Kevin McLeod.

As for SFX, a lot of times I'll sample a random YT video and process it myself, or find a royalty free sample library. Be careful not to violate licenses by sampling something, also. See that the author of the content does not prohibit transformative works. I say this a bit loosely as if it's not an iconic sample, a lot of times they'll fly under the radar.

There are also plenty of artists and sound designers here on NG. You can post a listing for a collab. Be sure to specify what kinds of sounds you're looking for. Most of us in the Audio Portal would be thrilled to be featured in your animations. The possibilities are endless.

Alright thanks

Well I'll look into that later down the line.

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-08-22 10:22:15

At 5/1/20 06:23 PM, LexRodent wrote: Hello ladies and gents.

There seems to be some confusion among users regarding the usage of sound packs, sample packs and all that kind of pre-made audio clips libraries on the Newgrounds audio portal.
This pointers apply to any audio clip library in existence (including your beloved cymatics).
Hopefully this will help to clear common doubts and misconceptions.

1 First and most important :
Relying solely or heavily on that kind of materials goes against the AP rules (no way around it).
This is true for every sound pack / sample pack by any author.

Dragging and dropping audio clips from libraries into your D.A.W.'s grid it's not considered original work in here.
That's in the same vein as playing with toys like Music Maker Jam, Groovepad, Garageband Live Loops, etc.

2 Common misconceptions :
The T.o.S. of my audio clip library state that the samples are free to use / royalty free.
That's fine and dandy. Please refer to number 1.

I'm combining / re-arranging the samples on my D.A.W. to make something different.
That's nice, you are starting to put a little work on it. Please refer to number 1.

All the sounds in my track are edits / snippets of the original samples.
Congrats ! Editing it's a valuable skill to make music. Please refer to number 1.

3 Is it allowed at all ? Yes it is , but ...
Any track you publish in here needs to have a BIG percentage of original work on it.

Here's how it goes :
Lets' imagine you are making a track. To keep it simple, let's pretend it includes the following 5 elements.
Drums , bass line , chords progression , melodies , misc. sounds or effects.
If 3 or more of the elements of your track are made out of pre-made audio clips, that's not enough to be considered original work in here. That's relying heavily on pre-made materials. So again ; Refer to number 1.
Please put more effort on your tracks. Other wise your audio will be subject for removal.

The minimum recommended ratio it's 40% pre.made vs 60% original.
That way it's safe to say your track it's mostly your own work even if pre-made clips were used.

4 Some practical examples :
Pre-made drums, pre-made bass, pre-made progression, pre-made misc sounds, original melodies.
Nope, that's a no go.

Pre-made drums, pre-made bass, pre-made misc. sounds, original progression, original melodies.
Almost there, but still it's a no go.

Pre-made bass, pre-made misc sounds, original drums, original progression, original melodies.
Now we are talking. A big part of your track it's original. That's good.

Pre-made drums, Original everything else.
That's great ! A minimum of sampling, mostly original work. You Sir, are serious about your music.

Final related notes :
Usage of individual samples (e.g individual kicks , snares , hits , etc) to build your own patterns it's perfectly fine.
Usage of synth preset packs to make your own melodies / progressions / bass lines, it's also perfectly fine.

Keep creating mates ! But please keep the clip libraries use at the minimum possible ;)

So, if my track uses a lot of sampled one shots for the drums and some fx, but the lead and bass and arrangement in general are all original, would that be okay??

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-08-23 03:16:42

If the only heavily sampled elements of your track are the drums and effects, then yes.

That'll be perfectly acceptable.

At 8/22/22 10:22 AM, Ackee39 wrote:
So, if my track uses a lot of sampled one shots for the drums and some fx, but the lead and bass and arrangement in general are all original, would that be okay??

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-09-17 03:31:06

hello, I have a question, is that ok to sample from a tv show/cartoon/entertainment/etc? is it considered fair use and legal? or is there something I need to know when I do that?

I may not be the brightest in the box full of light-bulbs, but that doesn't mean I can't light the way in this dark world.

(you can call me wilson or mawi if you want, I'm also the one who made skibidi club.)

TOYHOUSEYOUTUBETUMBLRREDDIT

BBS Signature

At 9/17/22 03:31 AM, mawibblap wrote: hello, I have a question, is that ok to sample from a tv show/cartoon/entertainment/etc? is it considered fair use and legal? or is there something I need to know when I do that?

Hello mawibblap.

It's best to avoid that kind of sampling in general.

Most of those materials are property of big media corporations like Warner Brothers, Sony, Paramount, Disney, Universal and similar global conglomerates.

Companies like that are the biggest copyright strikers, so unless you have acquired proper usage / distribution licensing, it's better to stay away from such materials.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-10-14 11:32:47

At 9/17/22 04:11 AM, LexRodent wrote:
At 9/17/22 03:31 AM, mawibblap wrote: hello, I have a question, is that ok to sample from a tv show/cartoon/entertainment/etc? is it considered fair use and legal? or is there something I need to know when I do that?
Hello mawibblap.
It's best to avoid that kind of sampling in general.
Most of those materials are property of big media corporations like Warner Brothers, Sony, Paramount, Disney, Universal and similar global conglomerates.
Companies like that are the biggest copyright strikers, so unless you have acquired proper usage / distribution licensing, it's better to stay away from such materials.

ah I see, thank you for your answer,

although I have another question, is it safe to sample from random youtube video and/or popular memes? like either some oldass video that not alot of people watches, popular meme or other things like that (not necessarily by companies), is it legal/safe to sample those kinds of things? I heard some music do that (for example)

(I apologize if I'm making fool out of myself, it's just that the idea of sampling something that could get me in legal trouble scares me xD)

I may not be the brightest in the box full of light-bulbs, but that doesn't mean I can't light the way in this dark world.

(you can call me wilson or mawi if you want, I'm also the one who made skibidi club.)

TOYHOUSEYOUTUBETUMBLRREDDIT

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-10-15 02:25:27

At 10/14/22 11:32 AM, mawibblap wrote: although I have another question, is it safe to sample from random youtube video and/or popular memes? like either some oldass video that not alot of people watches, popular meme or other things like that (not necessarily by companies), is it legal/safe to sample those kinds of things? I heard some music do that (for example)

(I apologize if I'm making fool out of myself, it's just that the idea of sampling something that could get me in legal trouble scares me xD)

That's technically allowed, but you'll need to do some research before considering those materials safe to use.

Here's how it goes :

Be sure to investigate where the original's come from as well as their licensing and/or usage terms.

Most original content published under creative commons allow derivatives and/or modifications (sampling counts as both), but some others don't allow derivatives nor modifications, so be sure to know before using.

Content on the public domain it's safe to sample.

Still all of this counts as third party, so be sure to cite / credit your source(s).

Also, there's no foolishness on making questions, specially if you are intending to do things right ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-11-14 03:04:27

I agree with this. I use drums sounds off freesound.org to make patterns and nothing else. Well, sometimes I get ambient noises as well but all the melodies, drum patterns, basslines, and chord progressions are original and made by me.

Keep it up mods!

Casporb - Dubstep delivered to your door!

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2022-12-12 08:49:58

There seems to be some confusion among users regarding the usage of sound packs, sample packs and all that kind of pre-made audio clips libraries on the Newgrounds audio portal.
This pointers apply to any audio clip library in existence (including your beloved cymatics).

Relying solely or heavily on that kind of materials goes against the AP rules (no way around it).

Dragging and dropping audio clips from libraries into your D.A.W.'s grid it's not considered original work in here.
That's in the same vein as playing with toys like Music Maker Jam, Groovepad, Garageband Live Loops, etc.

The T.o.S. of my audio clip library state that the samples are free to use / royalty free.

I'm combining / re-arranging the samples on my D.A.W. to make something different.
That's nice, you are starting to put a little work on it. Please refer to number 1.

Congrats ! Editing it's a valuable skill to make music. Please refer to number 1.

Any track you publish in here needs to have a BIG percentage of original work on it.

Here's how it goes :
Lets' imagine you are making a track. To keep it simple, let's pretend it includes the following 5 elements.
If 3 or more of the elements of your track are made out of pre-made audio clips, that's not enough to be considered original work in here. That's relying heavily on pre-made materials. So again ; Refer to number 1.
Please put more effort on your tracks. Other wise your audio will be subject for removal.

That way it's safe to say your track it's mostly your own work even if pre-made clips were used.

Pre-made drums, pre-made bass, pre-made progression, pre-made misc sounds, original melodies.
Nope, that's a no go.

Pre-made drums, pre-made bass, pre-made misc. sounds, original progression, original melodies.

Pre-made bass, pre-made misc sounds, original drums, original progression, original melodies.

That's great ! A minimum of sampling, mostly original work. You Sir, are serious about your music.

Final related notes :
Usage of individual samples (e.g individual kicks , snares , hits , etc) to build your own patterns it's perfectly fine.
Usage of synth preset packs to make your own melodies / progressions / bass lines, it's also perfectly fine.

Keep creating mates ! But please keep the clip libraries use at the minimum possible ;)

Thanks Lex. This is exactly what i needed. Have a great holiday and happy new year.

SJF

I would like to add that things are changing in the era of AI. Now Shazam and other analyzers can pick out samples as obscure as a single guitar note in a Daft Punk track. "Not even a millisecond" of copyrighted content here on NG was very forward thinking on Tom's part, in this respect.

Will you be sued for sampling something that small on a NG track? I doubt it, but if it is recognized by an AI, you'll/we'll have to remove it (like Numa Numa) and you'll probs be banned. That's all.

As far as easily recognized samples, that is a no-no here, but I would encourage you to do it (elsewhere) because making music memes is a great way to get discovered. You can still post that kind of content to your newsposts and such and show off to your followers. It's a great way to get a following off site and track them back to NG as well as wherever else you post releases. When people complain why said song is not on Spotify yet, you can tell them to thank copyright law.

You can also apply for a license if and when you want to release said song and THEN release it here, as I have gotten cover licenses for various songs and posted them. Sample licenses will need to be purchased for remixing TV and radio content, and keep in mind these will likely be a yearly recurring fee. Plan your official releases carefully if you are just starting out.

If you are really hurting for samples, try staying in the public domain, use non-copyrighted memes, give proper credits, and apply for sample rights where necessary. Otherwise, using copyrighted material in your submissions is a big no-no.

Hope that covers everything!

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2023-07-03 13:33:06

To get good samples for free, get some free intro packs from a dozen of big manufacturers. They have some good quality stuff in them, you wont find in free packs by random youtubers or freesound.org or landr.

The downside of this, that it wont be good organized.

Make sure they give it away to use commercially and royalty free.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2023-09-16 20:45:03

If you can clarify what's the ruling on speeches/interviews, that would be great. I made a lot of songs using quotes from funny interviews/speeches

From what I research

Is there anything else I missed/misunderstandings I have?

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2023-09-22 17:18:34

At 9/16/23 08:45 PM, MuscleMelodies wrote: If you can clarify what's the ruling on speeches/interviews, that would be great. I made a lot of songs using quotes from funny interviews/speeches
From what I research . . .
Is there anything else I missed/misunderstandings I have?

You got it pretty well in general terms.

Anything coming from public domain archives it's safe to use ; Still citing your source it's recommended.

There are some tricky exceptions too :

Even very old material can get extended copyright time if it was never registered or published.

You can see more detail about it in here.

Materials coming from original media content published under CC license it's OK to use too.

As long as you follow the authors terms of publishing, distribution and/or commercial use , and the result it's mostly your original work, there should be no problems.

Stuff coming from big media companies (t.v. shows, radio, record companies, movies, series, etc,) it's copyrighted.

This fellows are the main owners of copyright extensions, so even their "oldies" can't be considered safe to use,

and therefore, can be subject to removal here on NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2023-10-09 22:52:02

At 11/6/20 07:32 PM, JohnMontoya wrote:
At 10/15/20 11:40 AM, LostChronology wrote:

Here's how it goes :

Nope, that's a no go.

Final related notes :

What does this mean for classical 90s Drum and Bass like music which heavily relies on third party samples?
*cries in amen break*

Try looking into breakbeat patterns for drums (or hell, if you can, get a drummer friend to show you them), recreate them in MIDI, give it some reverb, humanize the notes and bounce it. You now have a breakbeat you can use that is 100% legal in Newgrounds!

I had to do it for a game project for a friend. Didn't wanna risk the amen break, so I just made my own version of it.

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2023-11-18 12:47:39

Thank you for posting this useful information! I joined Newgrounds to share my music & videos with anyone else and it's very helpful.

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2024-01-10 22:27:45

At 10/9/23 10:52 PM, MuscleMelodies wrote:
At 11/6/20 07:32 PM, JohnMontoya wrote:
At 10/15/20 11:40 AM, LostChronology wrote:

Here's how it goes :

Nope, that's a no go.

Final related notes :

What does this mean for classical 90s Drum and Bass like music which heavily relies on third party samples?
*cries in amen break*
Try looking into breakbeat patterns for drums (or hell, if you can, get a drummer friend to show you them), recreate them in MIDI, give it some reverb, humanize the notes and bounce it. You now have a breakbeat you can use that is 100% legal in Newgrounds!
I had to do it for a game project for a friend. Didn't wanna risk the amen break, so I just made my own version of it.

Speaking of Midi, is a SoundFont nothing more than a miserable little pack of samples? (Feel free to answer with or without shattering a discarded wine glass.)

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2024-01-15 17:38:03

well, I don't like use samples in my tracks (because i don't know hoy to use it)

I write things bro

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2024-01-15 20:13:45

At 1/15/24 05:38 PM, SerebetGM wrote: well, I don't like use samples in my tracks (because i don't know hoy to use it)

It's not hard. You need a sampler, to assign samples to it, and to be able to write midi signals (notes) to make the sampler play the samples. Or you can manually cut and chop samples (hip-hop does this a lot)

If you have questions hit me up.

BBS Signature

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2024-04-18 21:34:13

I feel very stymied about the use of vocal shots/rap samples. I come from a generation of Kandi-Kids and Hardcore / Hardstyle-heads that really enjoyed those samples of the past that made for a memorable track. There is only so much I can do chopping up, or doubling Amen-break loops before it gets way overused in the transitions stages of these types of songs. Do I really need to clear every single sample now to achieve that level of familiarity?

Response to Sound packs / Sample packs Usage 2024-04-21 17:41:24

At 4/18/24 09:34 PM, YendorNG wrote: I feel very stymied about the use of vocal shots/rap samples. I come from a generation of Kandi-Kids and Hardcore / Hardstyle-heads that really enjoyed those samples of the past that made for a memorable track. There is only so much I can do chopping up, or doubling Amen-break loops before it gets way overused in the transitions stages of these types of songs. Do I really need to clear every single sample now to achieve that level of familiarity?

That's pretty much the current state of safe sampling now days my good fellow.

But don't let it get you down ; Think about it as a chance to explore new possibilities and develop more your own style. It's not a closed door , It's a window opening.

BBS Signature