00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread

43,662 Views | 527 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-04-04 05:40:51

At 4/3/23 05:33 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Thanks for the promo; thorough production work once again! :) Was quite the project; awesome to collaborate with y'all! All good things going on too - looking forward to the big upcoming BTTB release!

Cheers CD! Quite the project indeed and great to collaborate with you again too! Haha, me too re the BTTB release. This one's been MUCH too long in the works (a global pandemic didn't help) XD SOON (Hopefully :D) Thanks for chiming in!

Audio Services Website:JabunAudio // PATREON

"Making dynamic, clean and punchy masters that'll encourage people to turn up your music, rather than turn it down"

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-04-05 13:15:11

Greetings,

It is an honor to have worked with you, thank you for mastering the instrumental piece that I have made, still learning the ropes.

Looking forward to work with you again, really awesome job you did in Ripples of Time.

All the best,

Chord C

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-04-06 05:07:09

At 4/5/23 01:15 PM, ChordC wrote: Chord C

It was a blast working with your music! Thanks for allowing me the flexibility you did too and for the praise :) I'm super happy you liked the final results :D All the best to you too Chord C!

"Making dynamic, clean and punchy masters that'll encourage people to turn up your music, rather than turn it down"

BBS Signature

May 2023 Patreon & News post: BTTB Recording updates, pedals, pedalboards and birthday gifts, a branding change, new YouTube guitar video series and more!

Hi everyone and hope you had a great April and start to May! It's back to the usual Patreon rewards schedule this month, but with a big twist of sorts as I've done an overhaul of various things since last time. More on that in a second, but first some updates for the month!

Production and recording for the upcoming Better Then The Book album is coming slowly but surely. Hayfever hit me hard this month, but with some nasal spray and anti-histamines I've been powering through as best I can, with some worn out throats which I've had to adjust pace for. Having said that, all the screaming vocals are recorded now and I only have 1 gang vocal track left to go. All the horn parts are now finished again too, so it's really just the main sung/rapped vocals + that last gang vocal left to record! I'll be aiming to get all the rap stuff and that gang vocal finished in the coming month, and hopefully I'll get to some actual singing again before the next Patreon post!

Next this month, I finally got around to modifying / optimising my homemade Superfuzz pedal! A volume jump issue when switching modes and an overall lack of volume in general had been bugging me for ages but it was a relatively easy albeit fiddly fix, and it's now sounding better (and more controlled) than ever! You can hear it in action on bass in the A P O T H E O S I S soundtrack below. Level 02 and the Final Boss themes have the best examples. I need to get back to some orchestral stuff at some point:

https://soundcloud.com/jabun/sets/apotheosis-soundtrack-demos

Onto a fun little feature, Jabun's Rebirth from the June22 EP was featured in @TheTankTribune No.79 on Newgrounds! Thanks peeps for sharing the music and the love as always!

https://thetanktribune.newgrounds.com/news/post/1352598

Next, and back to that shake-up I mentioned earlier, after over a decade of being HurpADervish online and on social media, I've decided to rebrand to just Nick Standing and JabunAudio (and Better Than The Book where appropriate). It was a big decision but I want things to be less confusing for people and I feel like JabunAudio is what I'd like to be know as and for from now on. As such, I've changed up the HurpADervish Twitter and YouTube, which were basically JabunAudio anyway to reflect the new branding, cleared out some of my older less, musically relevant/popular videos, and updated the websites as such. Check out the updated links below:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@JabunAudio

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JabunAudio

The change of branding came after a point of reflection, as last month I turned 33. I realised that despite my efforts and output in some areas, I've not been progressing as much as I wanted to in others, and specifically, when I turned 30, I wrote down a few goals / places I wanted to be which I don't feel I've got any closer to in the last 3 years... I'm sure much of that has been due to the worldwide pandemic as well as other difficulties, but I also know that I've not actively taken enough steps in the right direction too. As such one big and new thing I'll be trying to do is be more active posting videos on YouTube. Not just the new music with the artwork in the background, but ACTUAL videos of myself, playing guitar, showing my face and (hopefully) inspiring more people on the instrument. Even if it's just short videos of my practice and experiments, I'll be aiming to release 2 videos a week from now on and see how it goes. The Patreon page/rewards may change to reflect these new videos, but I'll be playing it by ear. It's going to be a brand new challenge, but I'm excited to see where it could lead, and maybe one day I'll finally be able to get my name on the back of an Ernie Ball string packet, or have a Yamaha Pacifica signature model guitar made like I've always dreamed. Who knows and wish me luck! Here's some new videos for the month:

Restoring a Leslie Speaker: Guitar Test (3-4-2022) (OLD but unreleased):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe17fbmwkwY

Pick-up switch experiments on a Fender Squier Jaguar Guitar (OLD but unreleased):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miGfR4YkaGg

The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright (2 Parts on 1 Guitar Intro Cover):

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ee24sS0h4Vc

A John 5 inspired guitar lick: 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fxqO68zI0R4

More to come very soon!

Finally this month, and following from me turning 33, some Birthday funtimes! While I was actually on a double night shift on the weekend of my birthday (ergh...), the following week was a super busy but mostly fun one catching up with peeps and sorting stuff out for Eva and I's wedding in August! As with birthdays, I received some super cool gifts this year, and as usual many of them were music related too! My twin Eamon got me something I've been needing for years, a (BOSS) pedalboard (+ cables) for quick set-up and convenience! I remember back when gigging with Lights Camera Attraction, Andy the guitarist had a similar one so he'd be set up in no time while I'd be fumbling with a handful of bass pedals and cables. The new modern version has foam cutouts to hold in pedals of whatever size you could think of! Check out one of the builds below and thanks Eamon (more pictures in this blog post https://jabun.newgrounds.com/news/post/1356159 ):

iu_962227_1338520.webp

In that last picture you'll notice the FS-5L footswitch as well which I saw in the window of one of Brighton's second hand guitar shops for a too-good-to-resist price. I'd been meaning to build an equivalent for a while but this was super economical and convenient! If you're wondering, it switches the "Turbo" mode on for the BOSS Turbo Overdrive above, taking the tone from a lovely crunch to a full on Marshall-esq distortion. Very good!

Next, my parents have been on a long trip visiting Ma's home in Thailand, but also Malaysia where I was born and Japan while they were in the area too! Along with a TONNE of snacks, they bought back the latest Ellegarden album and a BOSS Tremolo pedal which came with a special Japanese spring festival gift bag too! Super cool, and no doubt you'll be hearing that at some point soon!

iu_962226_1338520.webp

(My Blues Driver pedal is currently in that pedalboard alongside the Tremolo!)

Finally, not music related, but I'm super excited about it, Eva got me some new PJs, pens, and a preorder for the new Legend of Zelda game (you should know already now that I'm a huge fan)! It's gonna bring a great distraction for the evenings, but there's still a few weeks to wait! Best keep productive until then! Thanks for the gifts everyone!

That wraps things up for this month, unless you're a $10 patron in which case you have another Better Than The Book WIP studio demo to look forward to! More guitar videos to come next time while I continue working on the upcoming Better Than The Book album, and I'm sure there'll be other unexpected things happening in May too. Who knows! Until then, I hope you enjoy the new content, let me know if you have any suggestions or requests and thanks as always for supporting me however you can. Take care and all the best!

BBS Signature

At 5/3/23 06:25 AM, Jabun wrote: May 2023 Patreon & News post: BTTB Recording updates, pedals, pedalboards and birthday gifts, a branding change, new YouTube guitar video series and more!

Aye hayfever, no fun... been having some normal fever over here so it seems we're dealing with similar predicaments. :P Nice progress despite of such troubles, and congrats on the tribune feature!

Don't think I can forget the HurpADervish handle but that sounds like a great call too. :D Professional names only now.

YouTube shorts may be the future really, but just so you're aware there are plugins out there to hide specifically those from the subscriptions page, when you don't want them to clutter your feed. Personally I've been hiding shorts for a year or so at this point, since I find there's just too much, it's not the form of content I prefer to consume, and I can't interact with them the same as with long-form video. Going by comments and view counts it seems like I'm the odd one out though, they're really getting more traction than the others! Good stuff too, though I will probably be missing a fair few of these thus...

Awesome pedals. :) And gifts, overall.

Sounds like a great month overall, all good things, all the best!

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-05-11 15:47:17

Ah dang! Hope you've recovered now. That sounds mighty unfun... Thanks for the praise though. Indeed it feels sad to say goodbye to HurpADervish, but it'll still be in memories and hearts as you say. Onwards and upward to more professional things (hopefully XD)

Ah, good to know about the shorts thing. I've definitley been getting more traction with them since I started. Comments AND views-wise. I'll see how it goes. Of course I'll still be making that long form music too, but I think it's a nice creative outlet while those bigger projects take time to complete. No worries on missing a few! I've made a playlist which'll be updated as new ones come out, so you can catch up with ease when you're ready :D (Not specifically you but people in general of course!). It's also formated in non-short form for ease of commenting etc... too!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWEmqIhrNPvQTBoOjZdKLgL4ecTvLz6sm

Indeed some great gifts! I do love pedals XD They're like spices in my music making kitchen!

Cheers CD! Hoping the next month is even better (for the both of us) :)

At 5/11/23 12:20 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 5/3/23 06:25 AM, Jabun wrote: May 2023 Patreon & News post: BTTB Recording updates, pedals, pedalboards and birthday gifts, a branding change, new YouTube guitar video series and more!
Aye hayfever, no fun... been having some normal fever over here so it seems we're dealing with similar predicaments. :P Nice progress despite of such troubles, and congrats on the tribune feature!

Don't think I can forget the HurpADervish handle but that sounds like a great call too. :D Professional names only now.

YouTube shorts may be the future really, but just so you're aware there are plugins out there to hide specifically those from the subscriptions page, when you don't want them to clutter your feed. Personally I've been hiding shorts for a year or so at this point, since I find there's just too much, it's not the form of content I prefer to consume, and I can't interact with them the same as with long-form video. Going by comments and view counts it seems like I'm the odd one out though, they're really getting more traction than the others! Good stuff too, though I will probably be missing a fair few of these thus...

Awesome pedals. :) And gifts, overall.

Sounds like a great month overall, all good things, all the best!

BBS Signature

At 5/11/23 03:47 PM, Jabun wrote: Ah dang! Hope you've recovered now. That sounds mighty unfun... Thanks for the praise though. Indeed it feels sad to say goodbye to HurpADervish, but it'll still be in memories and hearts as you say. Onwards and upward to more professional things (hopefully XD)

Almost, thanks. :) I'm well enough to be sitting here again and catching up on things at least. The fever was high too for a while, really draining, though I can't remember the last time I had anything like that. The recovery that follows is fun. Just feeling normal again feels so good! XD

Mmm could always still use it for inside jokes and references. ;) Away from professional promos and public scrutiny.

Onwards indeed!

I think it's a nice creative outlet while those bigger projects take time to complete.

I don't think the format really changes what kind of outlet it can be, but of course, if this form gets the views then best go for it. :) Sounds good.

I'll check in here occasionally instead then. XD I didn't realize you could change what formatting you had those shorts in! Just the regular video player too then... but not two different videos for the shorts then? Is that controlled entirely via the playlist...?

Curious about those 11 unavailable playlist videos now hmmm!

Indeed some great gifts! I do love pedals XD They're like spices in my music making kitchen!

Looking forward to what you might be cooking up next. :)

Cheers CD! Hoping the next month is even better (for the both of us) :)

Cheers JBN! :) Here's to that!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-05-11 18:12:54

Good to hear on the recovery :) Sounds like a drawn out process though. Here's to hoping you're fully fighting fit again soon! Too true on the HurpADervish sentiments. I don't have much use for non-professional social media these days. In honesty I was very much considering quitting it entirely, but a rebrand seemed more productive at least :)

Oh for sure re the formatting, just a convenient way to get out these little mini-lessons and ideas and show people I exist, and push myself to become a better musician you know :) Indeed the shorts formatting is an auto-thing dependng on the length and verticleness I think, but actually if you type them in as regular videos in the URL or put them in a playlist they load as regular videos! I wish you could toggle on/off the shorts-ness manually, but I can't seem to figure that one out. This seems like a good workaround at least :)

And INDEED! I have a whole load (and counting) cued up ready for release :D Lots of stuff to come!

Woot woot!

At 5/11/23 04:11 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Almost, thanks. :) I'm well enough to be sitting here again and catching up on things at least. The fever was high too for a while, really draining, though I can't remember the last time I had anything like that. The recovery that follows is fun. Just feeling normal again feels so good! XD

Mmm could always still use it for inside jokes and references. ;) Away from professional promos and public scrutiny. Onwards indeed!

I don't think the format really changes what kind of outlet it can be, but of course, if this form gets the views then best go for it. :) Sounds good.

I'll check in here occasionally instead then. XD I didn't realize you could change what formatting you had those shorts in! Just the regular video player too then... but not two different videos for the shorts then? Is that controlled entirely via the playlist...? Curious about those 11 unavailable playlist videos now hmmm!

Looking forward to what you might be cooking up next. :) Cheers JBN! :) Here's to that!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-05-12 04:49:12

At 5/11/23 06:12 PM, Jabun wrote: Good to hear on the recovery :) Sounds like a drawn out process though. Here's to hoping you're fully fighting fit again soon! Too true on the HurpADervish sentiments. I don't have much use for non-professional social media these days. In honesty I was very much considering quitting it entirely, but a rebrand seemed more productive at least :)

Oh for sure re the formatting, just a convenient way to get out these little mini-lessons and ideas and show people I exist, and push myself to become a better musician you know :) Indeed the shorts formatting is an auto-thing dependng on the length and verticleness I think, but actually if you type them in as regular videos in the URL or put them in a playlist they load as regular videos! I wish you could toggle on/off the shorts-ness manually, but I can't seem to figure that one out. This seems like a good workaround at least :)

And INDEED! I have a whole load (and counting) cued up ready for release :D Lots of stuff to come!

Woot woot!

Mmm as they tend to be, indeed, and thank you. Much better today though. May not draw so much further after all now. :) Seems like even if it doesn't help much the social media may be good to have there, just to continually draw in potential clients/patrons/listeners. It's hard to gauge how much help all activity does via views and comments, but long term surely it contributes. There's a lot of SEO value in everything you've posted overtime, the older the backlinks the better, the more the better, if things keep moving forward I'm sure it all contributes in some form. Though of course understandable it eats a lot of time in the now, hope you find a balance.

Oh I did not know that at all! Interesting. Thought there was a back-end type separation too, that they really were two different types entirely, by manner of choice, that's good to know.

Woot woot indeed! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-05-12 07:43:06

Good to hear and agreed on the sentiments! Hopefully something comes from it, but even if not, it'll be nice for looking back at practice sessions etc... Thankfully they don't take too long to make either. I ended up doing 10 this week over 2 days so that's not too back. If I get too much backlog I'll likely end up releasing them even more regularly :D Gotta keep the ideas going though :) (And more nods)

At 5/12/23 04:49 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Mmm as they tend to be, indeed, and thank you. Much better today though. May not draw so much further after all now. :) Seems like even if it doesn't help much the social media may be good to have there, just to continually draw in potential clients/patrons/listeners. It's hard to gauge how much help all activity does via views and comments, but long term surely it contributes. There's a lot of SEO value in everything you've posted overtime, the older the backlinks the better, the more the better, if things keep moving forward I'm sure it all contributes in some form. Though of course understandable it eats a lot of time in the now, hope you find a balance.

Oh I did not know that at all! Interesting. Thought there was a back-end type separation too, that they really were two different types entirely, by manner of choice, that's good to know.

Woot woot indeed! :D

BBS Signature

At 5/12/23 07:43 AM, Jabun wrote: Good to hear and agreed on the sentiments! Hopefully something comes from it, but even if not, it'll be nice for looking back at practice sessions etc... Thankfully they don't take too long to make either. I ended up doing 10 this week over 2 days so that's not too back. If I get too much backlog I'll likely end up releasing them even more regularly :D Gotta keep the ideas going though :) (And more nods)

It does seem like something is already. :) For sure, two birds with one stone potentially, and if naught at least you got that one... though thinking about it it really is a little unnecessary to go around killing birds these days, I need a better adage for that! XD

Ah you're set for a few weeks at least then! Good to have some backlog for times you may not manage any. For sure for sure!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-05-15 09:18:18

At 5/13/23 09:17 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: It does seem like something is already. :) For sure, two birds with one stone potentially, and if naught at least you got that one... though thinking about it it really is a little unnecessary to go around killing birds these days, I need a better adage for that! XD Ah you're set for a few weeks at least then! Good to have some backlog for times you may not manage any. For sure for sure!

Hehe, yeah, that does seem like a bit of a strange saying now that you mention it XD Indeed indeed though on the sentiments :D

BBS Signature

June 2023 Patreon & News post: Illness, BTTB recording updates, website updates, an upcoming podcast interview and LOTS of YouTube guitar videos to share!

Hi everyone and hope you've had a great May (full of bank holidays over here in the UK)! It's been an increasingly busy time over here with wedding preparations and other stuff (only 3 months to go now), so things have been a bit distracted from music unfortunately (definitely nothing to do with The Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom either... DEFINITELY NOT...), but a little bit of progress has been made at least. Gang vocals and screaming are now complete for Better Than The Book's upcoming album so now it's just the rap and main singing stuff left to do recording-wise! Unfortunately before I got to start on that, I fell ill accompanied by a lingering very sore throat, so I'll have to wait for that to fully heal before I get back to it... Hopefully not too long. I think the plan will be to tackle things track by track now so its certainly coming on, although as usual slower than I'd hoped. There's lots of cool videos and news to share this month though so let's get to that! 

First on the news this month, something super cool that I can't wait to show you NEXT month! Out of that blue I was invited to be a guest on Newgrounds' "Off The Wall" podcast to talk about music, art, animation and other stuff for a little over 2 hours! This was my first time recording a live podcast (edited down but all recorded in one session over discord) so it was a bit nerveracking but an incredible experience. The episode is due for release on June 30th so I'll post it up in next month's rewards. Thanks so much to @Aalasteir the host and the @OffTheWallShow Podcast team for having me on and encouraging my ramblings!

Next, I've been continuing with my 2 guitar/gear videos a week on YouTube goals and so there's a lot of stuff to share from there! To save on links I've compiled a playlist now which'll be updated with new videos as they're released! Check it out below:

And here's a list of the new additions since last time! I hope you enjoy them (especially the Hurt cover)!

• Guitar Tapping Lick with 3 Variations
  • My modified Crybaby Wah Wah Pedal sounds more like a "Whoa Whoa" Pedal?
  • 6 vi IV I V Chord Sequence Variations Simple to Complex
  • 10 Punk Strumming Patterns
  • 10+ Punk Strumming Patterns for compound (triplet) time
  • Johnny Cash / Nine Inch Nails - Hurt [Acoustic Cover]... but...
  • Killswitch Engage - Rose of Sharyn (2 Parts on 1 Guitar chorus Cover)
  • A John5 inspired octave rolls guitar lick

Finally this month, just another quick update. With the new habits and branding I've done some revamping on the Patreon front page as well as my websites! It's mostly done, though I'm still umming and ahhing about changing the bannners, and I've still got to properly sort out my portfolio on jabunaudio.com (eeeerghhhh), but it's getting there. I'm hoping the new layout will be a bit less TL:DR and keep as much of the essential stuff on the front page as possible, as well as trim down some of the excess content so to speak. Feel free to give some feedback and suggestions, and hopefully this'll be done soon too!

https://nickstanding.weebly.com/

https://www.jabunaudio.com/

That's it for this month, unless you're a $10 patron in which case you have an off-vocal demo of Better Than The Book's "Red Kite" (from the upcoming album) to look forward to! More wedding planning in the coming months until September, and I'll be aiming to get back to BTTB vocal recording as soon as I'm able to. In the mean time, there's still more guitar/gear videos to record, and I've been playing with some alternate tunings lately so that could be an interesting topic to cover! Until next time, I hope you enjoy all the new content and thanks as always for supporting me here and however you can! Take care and have a great June!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/82500100

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/82500101

Reward Archives: https://www.patreon.com/posts/50344842

Find out more: https://www.patreon.com/NickStanding

BBS Signature

At 6/1/23 04:15 AM, Jabun wrote: And here's a list of the new additions since last time! I hope you enjoy them (especially the Hurt cover)!

That cover was definitely a fun surprise! XD

Awesome things going on overall this month, not sure exactly how different the site layout/structure was earlier but they do look good now, streamlined and easy to navigate, looking forward to that podcast too!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-06-05 09:02:17

At 6/3/23 06:54 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: That cover was definitely a fun surprise! XD Awesome things going on overall this month, not sure exactly how different the site layout/structure was earlier but they do look good now, streamlined and easy to navigate, looking forward to that podcast too!

Hehe, glad you enjoyed the cover! Would you believe I lost a subscriber because of that stunt XD Cheers on the website praise! It's definitely a bit cleaner/clearer than it was, though I've still got to sort through the portfolio/services sections properly :) Thanks for checking in!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-06-05 12:03:40

At 6/5/23 09:02 AM, Jabun wrote: Hehe, glad you enjoyed the cover! Would you believe I lost a subscriber because of that stunt XD Cheers on the website praise! It's definitely a bit cleaner/clearer than it was, though I've still got to sort through the portfolio/services sections properly :) Thanks for checking in!

Whaaat?! XD True fans won't jump ship over such fun stuff! Did you mayhaps gain any new ones because of it too though - noticing any particular content thus far that seems to lure new followers in?

Of course, looking forward to seeing how the portfolio evolves too!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-06-06 04:31:39

At 6/5/23 12:03 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Whaaat?! XD True fans won't jump ship over such fun stuff! Did you mayhaps gain any new ones because of it too though - noticing any particular content thus far that seems to lure new followers in? Of course, looking forward to seeing how the portfolio evolves too!

You'd think right XD Seems like the big lures tend to be the new guitar/gear videos, that custom NOISE oscilator I programmed for a synth (the demo video for it) and some old commission portfolio work. Sloooooowly trickling in... I think being more active is definitely helping. Hehe, me too re the portfolio. I gotta finish that off at some point...

BBS Signature

At 6/6/23 04:31 AM, Jabun wrote: You'd think right XD Seems like the big lures tend to be the new guitar/gear videos, that custom NOISE oscilator I programmed for a synth (the demo video for it) and some old commission portfolio work. Sloooooowly trickling in... I think being more active is definitely helping. Hehe, me too re the portfolio. I gotta finish that off at some point...

Interesting. So more informative/educational/useful stuff might be a bigger lure than entertainment these days... good to know. I guess the web's pretty saturated with the latter these days, and yet it is sometimes hard to find helpful things presented in a concise and simple way.

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-06-06 08:40:03

At 6/6/23 08:09 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Interesting. So more informative/educational/useful stuff might be a bigger lure than entertainment these days... good to know. I guess the web's pretty saturated with the latter these days, and yet it is sometimes hard to find helpful things presented in a concise and simple way.

Seems like it. I think the web/world's pretty saturated in general these days. Trying to fill in the missing gaps with something people want and don't already have plenty of is the big challenge I suppose :)

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-06-07 07:04:14

At 6/6/23 08:40 AM, Jabun wrote: Seems like it. I think the web/world's pretty saturated in general these days. Trying to fill in the missing gaps with something people want and don't already have plenty of is the big challenge I suppose :)

True that. Finding your niche seems to be key... or finding someone else's and doing it better. :P

Either way though seems there's room for plenty of content creators out here too. Hope that following grows steadily now.

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-06-07 08:15:24

At 6/7/23 07:04 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: True that. Finding your niche seems to be key... or finding someone else's and doing it better. :P Either way though seems there's room for plenty of content creators out here too. Hope that following grows steadily now.

Indeed and cheers for the well wishing :) I hope so too!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-07-01 06:34:57

July 2023 Patreon & News post: Better Than The Book vocal recording updates (4 tracks finished!), 9 more videos including organ, doubleneck guitar and slide guitar, an interview on the Off The Wall podcast and more!

Hi everyone and hope you've been having a great June (and keeping cool too). It's time for another post and there's some super exciting updates to share with you this month! Let's get to it!

It's been a super busy few weeks recording vocals and after some SUPER intense sessions I'm super excited to share that 4 out of the 14 tracks on the upcoming Better Than The Book project are now fully recorded! Those 4 tracks are just awaiting some minor edits and then it's just mixing and mastering (the technical stuff) left to go. I must say that recording vocals while fun has been super hard work though with a lot of redos and retakes, and especially taxing on the hot days. Here's to hoping I can keep up the stamina. It's a slow and steady race that's for sure! 10 tracks left to go (and a load of editing and mixing etc...). Keep rooting for me if you can please!

Next on the updates for this month, as with last time I've been hard at work practicing and trying to impove my instrumental craft(s) and managed to keep up with posting 2 videos a week as I've been aiming to! This time I've been dabbling in some organ, doubleneck guitar, and slide guitar! Here's a link to the updated playlist below (same one as last time):

And here's a full list of the new additions since last time! Enjoy:

• Octave double hammer-ons
  • Farfisa style ska combo organ
  • 2-Tone style ska organ
  • Doubleneck guitar sympathetic resonance
  • Doubleneck guitar muted sympathetic resonance
  • Yamaha YC-25D organ Touch Vibrato demonstration
  • Tom Morello style pick-up switch experiments on Jaguar (#Shorts version)
  • Justin Johnson Style dark blues slide guitar in open D minor tuning
  • Justin Johnson Style upbeat blues slide guitar in open D tuning

Next just a cool note from a collaborative project, Sif Savery @Hikarian has just finished her festival tour for the Tales of Zale: Flickering Lights short film we worked on last year (I was the audio mixer), and it's been super cool to see the various nominations and awards it's picked up during the tour! A huge well done to Sif and the rest of the ToZ crew and check out her post about it below:

https://twitter.com/JabunAudio/status/1673623398373523456

Finally, I have something really exciting to share with you all. In May I was invited to be a guest on the @OffTheWallShow Podcast on Newgrounds with @Aalasteir, who interviewed me on all sorts of things! We talked about my history, workflow, thoughts on nature and art, and much more! It was my first time doing a live-recorded podcast (still edited down, but rather than a back and forth not-in-conversation recording thing like I've done before) and the whole thing ran for a little over 2 hours too which is crazy! A huge thanks to Aalasteir for having me on the show and I hope you enjoy listening to the various discussions (mostly me rambling). Check it out below:

The podcast also got a front page feature on Newgrounds! Thanks for sharing it Newgrounds!

That about wraps things up for this month unless you're a $10 patron in which case I'm sharing with you one of those 4 fully finished Better Than The Book recordings I spoke about above: "Plot Holes (Alternative Version)"! I'm hoping to get (at least) another 3 tracks fully recorded by the next post, as well as another batch of videos, but as time closes in, I'll be away for a bit for a little stag do (and Iron Maiden) before getting married in August! Busy busy times, and there's still MUCH to sort out so we'll see how everything goes recording projects-wise. Until next time I hope you have a great July to come and thanks as always for supporting my projects however you can! All the best, enjoy the podcast and new videos and take care!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/83471542

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/83471543

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-07-02 04:17:40

At 7/1/23 06:34 AM, Jabun wrote: July 2023 Patreon & News post

Oooh those Tom Morello-style experiments sound intriguing... rooting for ya, ganbatte, keep it going! ;)

I knew about that podcast too, oughta listen in soon...

Did Twitter possibly become a members-only kind of place btw? Seems I cannot access that post there, just getting a 'something went wrong try again' error when I click that link. Ah it seems it has. Hmm, they may miss out on a lot of visitors this way, that's unfortunate...

Awesome news overall though! Looking forward to what's to come. The podcast seems like a real highlight too.

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-07-02 07:12:58

At 7/2/23 04:17 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Oooh those Tom Morello-style experiments sound intriguing... rooting for ya, ganbatte, keep it going! ;) I knew about that podcast too, oughta listen in soon... Did Twitter possibly become a members-only kind of place btw? Seems I cannot access that post there, just getting a 'something went wrong try again' error when I click that link. Ah it seems it has. Hmm, they may miss out on a lot of visitors this way, that's unfortunate... Awesome news overall though! Looking forward to what's to come. The podcast seems like a real highlight too.

Thanks so much for the well wishes CD and hope you enjoy the podcast :) Ah I didn't know about the twitter thing... shame. I know they've been shaking things up recently but it's been difficult to keep track of it all... Until the next post and thanks again!

BBS Signature

At 7/2/23 07:12 AM, Jabun wrote: Thanks so much for the well wishes CD and hope you enjoy the podcast :) Ah I didn't know about the twitter thing... shame. I know they've been shaking things up recently but it's been difficult to keep track of it all... Until the next post and thanks again!

Thank ya, though I'll have to get to it after I get back from the wilderness, time's been not enough to catch up with everything the last week. It seems like Twitter locking out users is a temporary solution at least, in an attempt to cope with excessive page requests, hope it doesn't stay this way too long...

Until then; all the best! Have a great summer!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-07-07 04:40:37

At 7/6/23 11:51 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Thank ya, though I'll have to get to it after I get back from the wilderness, time's been not enough to catch up with everything the last week. It seems like Twitter locking out users is a temporary solution at least, in an attempt to cope with excessive page requests, hope it doesn't stay this way too long... Until then; all the best! Have a great summer!!!

Ah fair dos on Twitter. And DANG! Time's REALLY been flying! Already at this time of year :) Have a great summer trip too CD and wishing you a great harvest :) Catch up with you when you get back :D

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-08-01 05:30:21

August 2023 Patreon & News post: Almost done with Better Than The Book vocal recording (3ish tracks left), more guitar videos including a cover of Message in a Bottle and getting real for a moment, Newgrounds features and more!

Hi everyone and hope you've had a great July! Another month is here which means another post and set of updates! Let's get to it!

First up, despite being away for a week seeing Iron Maiden and enjoying a stag do and some good times with family and friends, it's been an incredibly productive month working on Better Than The Book's album with 6 more vocal tracks fully recorded! 4 tracks left to go, and one of those in just a stripped back acoustic version of another using the same recordings, so really it's just 3 tracks to record! I'm hoping to have that all done by the end of this month, but with the wedding coming up in less than 3 weeks as I type this + the bash, a mini-moon, and not to mention the mountain of prep still left to do, that miiiiight be a bit ambitous... at this rate I'm sure it'll all be recorded and deep into the final editing by the end of September though, then onto mixing! Exciting times ahead and I really think it's gonna blow you all away!

Next up I've kept busy with my 2 guitar videos a week goals and after some incredibly inspired sessions including inventing my own never before seen special technique (though you'll have to wait until September to see that), I've added another 14 videos to the schedule this month! I'll be slowing down with my own recording now as I'm currently 2 full months ahead of schedule. Feeling good though and it's been a heck of month in July with some lovely comments and vibes. Check out the updated playlist below:

And here's a list of the new additions since last time! I especially recommend the "15 years of self-doubt" and Message in a Bottle videos! Enjoy!

• Justin Johnson inspired slide rocky blues in Open G Tuning
  • 2 Hand Tapping Guitar Practice in D Standard (WIP)
  • 15 years of self doubt and the 90% of what you don't see: 2 Hand Tapping DADGAD Guitar practice
  • Basket Case by Green Day, but it's All The Small Things by blink182
  • Message in a Bottle - The Police [solo tapping guitar cover]
  • Chromatic 7th Chord Triad shapes
  • Fender Mini '65 Twin Amp Meaty Drive tone
  • 12-String Guitar + Digitech Whammy 5 sounds LUSH!
  • 12-String Guitar + Distortion + Digitech Whammy 5 = HUGE SOUND

Finally this week, last month's interview on the @OffTheWallShow Podcast was featured on @TankmanTriweekly and @TheTankTribune on Newgrounds! Thanks for sharing the stuff peeps and it's always an honour! First time in the Tankman Triweekly too! Hope you and your readers all enjoyed it!

https://tankmantriweekly.newgrounds.com/news/post/1369091

https://thetanktribune.newgrounds.com/news/post/1377005

That's it for this month, unless you're a $10 patron in which case you have a sneak peek demo for the fully recorded (but not yet edited/mixed etc...) "Red Kite" from Better Than The Book's upcoming album to look forward to! August is set to be a busy BUSY BIG month with wedding stuff so we'll see how things go musically and the monthly post might be a few days later than usual, but I'm sure there'll be something to share! Hope you enjoy all the new videos and thanks as always for supporting my music/stuff however you can. Next time you'll hear from me, I'll hopefully have a ring on my finger WOOT WOOT! Take care and see you in September!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/85411708

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/85411711

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2023-09-01 10:15:16

September 2023 Patreon & News post: I GOT MARRIED, Recording is COMPLETE for Better Than The Book's upcoming album, more guitar videos + more!

Yo yo yo everyone and hope you've had a GREAT August! It's the beginning of another month and time for more updates and rewards, and there's some HUGE project and personal ones over here to share this time! Let's get straight to it!

Firstly, a HUGE personal update as on August 19th, Eva and I celebrated our 10th anniversary together by getting married! After a quick mini-moon break, we had an amazing party the following weekend with heartfelt speeches, some mosh-pit and dance floor madness, and competative wedding games including one of my best friends (and DJ for the night) racing to eat some super spicy noodles! I can honestly say it was the best day of my life! What adventures will be had next? We'll have to wait and see :) Thanks so much Eva for being in my life and now being my amazing wife! I love you soo much!

iu_1066023_1338520.webp

A shoutout to Vlad from World Beyond who shared a post about the special occasion on the World Beyond blog and bilibili too! Thanks for the amazing and kind words Vlad!

I've known Nick Standing since the track Mountains of Gold for which he kindly agreed to record acoustic guitar back in 2013 on Newgrounds. I was so impressed by his guitar composition Mayhem Market that I couldn't think of a better musician for that role and I'm happy to say that he only excelled at his craftsmanship several amazing albums later as Better than the BookJabun and guitarist and a member of World Beyond. I am happy that Eva, the most caring, smart and hardworking person I've encountered, and Nick, a real gentleman whose openness, honesty,  skill and expertise are inseparable traits, met each other and became a couple.    

Dear Eva and Nick! We all come from the stars and therefore, no matter the distance, we will always be connected through them. Please accept my most heartfelt congratulations on your wedding! May the future hold enough meteors to grant you any wish you might ever have! It brings me great joy to know little sky gems like you two always look after each other!    

Check out the song by Better than the Book -1314 which Nick wrote to propose to Eva (and she said YES!) betterthanthebook.bandcamp.com/album/1314-single

- Vladimir Kuznetsov - World Beyond

https://www.worldbeyond.net/2023/08/eva-and-nicks-wedding.html

https://t.bilibili.com/831672098498805767#reply181899378608

Meanwhile just before heading off to get hitched, I FINALLY finished tracking and recording for the upcoming Better Than The Book album! 10 tracks + 4 bonus tracks are now fully recorded and just awaiting some final editing before mixing! I'm hoping to get at least half of that editing done this month, but the biggest album hurdle (recording) is now complete! Still no ETA for release but it's slowly but surely getting there! I'll be taking my time to make sure this is worth the wait!

Finally for this month, there's another load of YouTube videos for the new regular posting habit! Check out the updated playlist below:

And here's a list of the new additions since last time! I especially enjoyed experimenting with different alternative tunings! They really do draw me to different ways of thinking/playing:

• Clean(ish) tone demo Fender Mini '65 Twin Amp + homemade spring reverb
  • Clean tone demo Fender Mini '65 Twin Amp + homemade spring reverb
  • Iron Maiden - Dance of Death (2 parts on 1 guitar Intro cover)
  • I tried FACGCE Tuning on guitar for the first time. I like it!
  • Bass Tapping Practice on Sterling by Musicman SB14
  • Home made rotary speaker cabinet demo with Yamaha YC-25D organ
  • Testing out CGDGBD (DAEAC#E) Tuning. It's very nice!
  • CGDGBD (DAEAC#E) Tuning for METAL. Must investigate further...
  • Acoustic DADGAD 2 Hand Tapping Guitar idea (T-cophony inspired)

That about wraps things up for this month, unless you're a $10+ patron in which case you have a fully recorded demo of "Rewrite" from the upcoming Better Than The Book album to look forward to! It's going to be a busy month of BTTB editing and guitar video recording (and wrapping up the post-wedding tasks), and hopefully I'll finally get some time to finish updating the JabunAudio website too! We shall see. Until next time, I hope you enjoy the new videos and music and I shall be back at the beginning of October with more updates! Thanks as always for supporting me and my various projects and take care!

1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/86950958

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/86950959

BBS Signature

October 2023 Patreon & News Post: Busy editing Better Than The Book's upcoming album, more guitar videos including my new ULTIMATE TECHINQUE: Guillotine Switching + more!

Hello everyone and hope you've had a good September! Seems like this time of year is just flying by at the mo, but it's been as busy as it has been productive over here and there is a fair bit to share (some very exciting stuff IMO)! Let's get to it!

Onto the updates for this month, it's been a busy one getting all these fully recorded Better Than The Book tracks checked, edited, and ready for mixing and so far, just 1 out of 14 is ready for the mixing fun! That might not sound like a lot, but since last time, all 14 tracks have been finely combed to remove any unwanted noises (mainly background clicks or hum from electricity), and all the vocal/other instrumental performances/takes have been sorted and compiled for the best peformances too (apart from 2 derivitive tracks which share the same vocal parts and need checking once the others are finalised). It's pretty much just the final checks to go through now so I'm very much hoping to get those last 13 track done and ready for mixing by the end of October! We shall see how it goes (it's supposed to be a pretty busy month ahead again).

Next, I've been busy keeping up with my 2 guitar videos a week, and as usual here's the updated playlist for you:

And it's been a SUPER exciting one this time! We have some more 2 hand tapping guitar ideas, some acoustic slide guitar, a playalong to one of the Better Than The Book guitar solos, some more ska/reggae organ, and (get ready for it), the unveiling of a brand new guitar technique I've not seen done before and I specifically developed for the doubleneck guitar: Guillotine Switching! To paste the desciption from the unveiling video:

"A while ago someone commented that they wanted to see how I'd play standing up since that's my name and I always seem to play sitting. I thought I'd save it for when I present my ULTIMATE TECHNIQUE and the time has finally come to stand! I've been working on this for a few years on and off now, but I've not seen anyone use this technique before which is specific to multi-neck electric instruments (please comment if you have). This demo is fairly basic, but I'm working on more complex applications and I think it'll open the door to actually mastering the doubleneck electric guitar as its own instrument, rather than just 2 guitars connected!

I call this technique "Guillotine Switching", an evolution of kill switching in the same manner Tom Morrello (for example) uses it. Instead of cutting the sound to silence, here I'm using the neck switch to rapidly cut between the necks of the doubleneck (hope you like the pun), cutting between different chords on each neck in the first half of the clip, then cutting between a drone note on the 6 string side, and hammer on notes on the 12-string side to create a distinct choppy riff!

The tricky part is the co-ordination and the reliability of the neck switch itself (I built this guitar over 16 years ago and need to clean mine...). I imagine the 2 necks/sets-of-strings like turntables and the neck switch acting as the cross fader. You've gotta keep both necks going and play the right ones in preparation before they're selected or while they're selected if you want it to be heard through the amp. It's still a work in progress (and I missed hitting the switch at one point) but I hope sharing this opens up the conversation to the limitless options this technique potentially has! The doubleneck guitar was never a novelty item. This will be the start of proving that."

I hope you enjoy it, and there's much more to come in October too! Here's a full list of the video additions since last time:

• Drop C Guitar 2 hand tapping (ish) work in progress idea
  • Another Drop C Guitar 2 hand tapping (ish) work in progress idea
  • Better Than The Book - Cathode Ray Days - Guitar Solo
  • Justin Johnson inspired Acoustic Hybrid Slide Fingerstyle Dark Blues Guitar practice in Open D Minor
  • Ska Reggae Dub Organ Bubble Pattern Variation Organ tutorial on a Yamaha YC-25D
  • NEW ULTIMATE TECHNIQUE?! Guillotine Switching Doubleneck Electric Guitar! A Kill Switch Evolution!
  • Guillotine Switching on doubleneck electric guitar unplugged (useless bonus video)
  • Numetal Guillotine Switching Riff on Homemade Doubleneck Guitar! MY NEW TECHNIQUE!

Finally, a nice little press feature as news of my wedding to Eva (amongst other things) made it onto @TheTankTribune here on Newgrounds! Thanks so much for sharing all the happy news peeps! Feel free to check out the full newspaper below:

https://thetanktribune.newgrounds.com/news/post/1384926

That about wraps things up for this month, unless you're a $10 Patreon supporter in which case I have a fully recorded (but not yet edited) WIP demo of the "Hold Me Tight" from the upcoming Better Than The Book album for you! Looks like @Cyberdevil is back to his Inktober mischief this year so along with a tonne of Better Than The Book editing, hopefully I'll find a moment to throw a beat his way too! I'm sure there'll be a tonne of updates to share in November on top of a few more guitar videos. Until then, I hope you have a great October to come and thanks as always for supporting my music and project however you can! Take care!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/88602898

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/88602899

BBS Signature

November 2023 Patreon & News Post: Editing is finished => It's time to mix the new Better Than The Book album + INKtober hip hop with @Cyberdevil, an exclusive instrumental beat download for Patreon supporters, more guitar/gear videos, a World Beyond Music video + more!

Hi everyone and man oh man has it been a busy month of October! There's a tonne of stuff to share this time so let's get straight to it!

Firstly in the news for this month, a huge update to share as Better Than The Book's upcoming album is now edited and ready to start mixing! That's 14 tracks all ready to hit the mixer this coming month (and beyond), and man oh man have I been looking forward to this! That's not to say there won't be any further editing at all, but things are sounding pretty solid right now! It's really just a case of polishing things up now and bringing out the best in every track. Super exciting, though I'm sure it'll still be a few months until everything's complete and ready to release! In any case, I'm positive the album will be out in 2024, so look forward to more BTTB in the new year!

Next this month, my good friend @Cyberdevil has been up to his usual INKtober challenge for the 5th year in a row, where he writes and records a rap every day of October, and as usual I've thrown a beat his way to provide some backing and inspiration! It was an especially fun challenge for me this year as after spending so much time editing BTTB stuff on the computer, I decided to compose and live perform the beat entirely with my first ever groovebox, the KORG EM-1 Electribe. It's only got a set selection of sounds and effects in it, unlike a sampler or DAW where you can record your own sounds into it, but the limitations make it a super fun sketchpad to play and compose with. It gives you what it has, and it's up to you to make the best of it! I ended progamming and then live mixing/performing the beat, then giving it a quick mastering style polish in Ableton before sending it CD's way for him to lay down an oldschool rap verse and what a great performance he gave too! The track even went onto receive a Front Page Feature Award here on NG which is super cool! Check out our Inktober collaboration "Pool Party" below:

And if you're a Patreon supporter, you have an exclusive download of the instrumental beat to download too! Head here to become a supporter for as little as $1 a month and get ALL past rewards including the full Better Than The Book and Jabun Discographies and tonnes more as soon as you sign up. Enjoy and hope to see you over there!

https://www.patreon.com/NickStanding

On top of that, after watching some of my YouTube guitaring videos, CD got inspired to rap over one of my Guillotine Switching riffs too! It's very rough and ready but I very much appreiate the word being spread, and super happy to hear my guitaring has people inspired! Check out "The Guillotine Switch Pitch" Below: 

AND if that's not enough my twin Eamon also threw a beat in for the first time this year too! Completely different vibes to mine and I think Cyberdevil and Eamon worked well on this one too! Check out "Rockstar Inc" Below:

And if you feel like catching up with the full INKtober2023 month, here's a link to the full playlist below. It's quite a ride!

Next on the list, it's onto another good musical friend Vlad from World Beyond who's been busy making music videos for his revisited Winter Legend EP! The video series concluded yesterday with a full on music video to the track Everything We Stand For which I played acoustic guitar on! Check out some top notch WB video editing and some cute hedghogs, and feel free to revisit the Winter Legend EP too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slX8_6h5BNA

Finally it's onto the gear and guitar videos for the month and it's another 2-a-week packed playlist for you with some more fun Guillotine Switching (including my best numetal DJ impression), some extra guitar techniques and alternative tunings, messing with effects and sound design and more! Here's the usual playlist link with the added videos:

And here's a list of the latest additions:

• This octave tapping guitar lick sounds a lot faster than my fingers are moving
  • Another Short Guillotine Switching Riff on my homemade doubleneck guitar!
  • When the Numetal DJ doesn't show up but you have your homemade doubleneck guitar!
  • Angels and Airwaves Tom Delonge guitar tone in 3 pedals
  • Stumbling into CGDGAD tuning on guitar
  • The Veldt - Deadmau5 short cover Roland J-6, Tr-08 , KORG Volca Keys Synths
  • Home made Leslie 18 / Vibratone style rotary speaker cabinet demo with Guitar
  • Guitar effect shootout: Detune vs Rotovibe vs Phaser vs Tremolo vs Chorus vs Flanger vs Real Rotary!
  • Digitech Whammy pedal on Organ sounds unreal and dreamy!

Hope you enjoy them and there's much more to come in the coming month!

And that about wraps things up for this month, unless you're a $10 patron in which case you have a pre-mix demo for a bonus version of Better Than The Book's "Hold Me Tight" from the upcoming album to look forward to! Looks like I'll be busy getting started on mixing that album in this coming month along with recording some more guitar/gear videos for the YT channel so I'm sure it'll be an exciting time! Until the next post, I hope you have a great month to come, enjoy all the new music and videos and fun stuff and thanks as always for supporting my work here on Patreon! Take care and all the best and see you in December!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/90192203

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/90192161

BBS Signature