00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vilanael just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread

43,116 Views | 526 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-05-14 13:58:13

At 5/14/22 10:14 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Ah yeah I can see the desert sentiment too... any surrounding that seems and sounds timeless, maybe? That somehow stands apart from the hassle and buzzle and the regular surface world...

I would've been seriously afraid it'd be just me and maybe one other person or something like that. XD Listening through solo would be disappointing for sure but also less pressure IMO, but awesome that you really did get a crowd. Hope for potential additional listening parties in the future too then? Hopefully they'll keep growing if so!

That makes sense :) It sure does seem a far cry from the regular world for sure!

And yeah! That would definitely have been less fun! Good that it turned out the way it did indeed, and for sure, as it was a reasonable success this time, there's definitely a good chance I'll do a similar listening party for the next release (whenever that may be)! Hopefully you'll be able to join in for the next one then :D

Audio Services Website:JabunAudio // PATREON

"Making dynamic, clean and punchy masters that'll encourage people to turn up your music, rather than turn it down"

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-05-17 06:37:26

At 5/14/22 01:58 PM, Jabun wrote: Hopefully you'll be able to join in for the next one then :D

If the next one's during the dreary all the more digitally consuming months of winter that sounds possible! XD Hope so, of course, whenever next time occurs!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-05-17 06:40:03

At 5/17/22 06:37 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: If the next one's during the dreary all the more digitally consuming months of winter that sounds possible! XD Hope so, of course, whenever next time occurs!

Hehe, might be a little longer than that, but we'll see how it goes :) Until the next one!

"Making dynamic, clean and punchy masters that'll encourage people to turn up your music, rather than turn it down"

BBS Signature

At 5/17/22 06:40 AM, Jabun wrote: Hehe, might be a little longer than that, but we'll see how it goes :) Until the next one!

Maybe just in time for next summer hmm. XD Well until whenever then is, indeed!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-05-23 21:55:38

So... when are you and Cyberdevil gonna make a podcast?

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-05-24 05:45:51

At 5/23/22 09:55 PM, The-Great-One wrote: So... when are you and Cyberdevil gonna make a podcast?

Haha! I can't remember whether it was you, but someone said that a while a go too! That could be fun XD

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-05-24 09:08:36

At 5/24/22 05:45 AM, Jabun wrote:
At 5/23/22 09:55 PM, The-Great-One wrote: So... when are you and Cyberdevil gonna make a podcast?
Haha! I can't remember whether it was you, but someone said that a while a go too! That could be fun XD

You two are already doing it in text. Through threads, through the interview I did with you, and I imagine private messages.

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-05-25 05:53:35

At 5/24/22 09:08 AM, The-Great-One wrote: You two are already doing it in text. Through threads, through the interview I did with you, and I imagine private messages.

True true! Emails too I might add XD

BBS Signature

iu_654001_1338520.webp

June 2022 Patreon rewards: The FINAL (and Patreon exclusive) Nick Standing Cover EP "520" + back to Better Than The Book, another Leslie video, a Pokemon parody & more!

Hello everyone and hope you're having a great time since Jabun's Tides album was launched last month! It's the beginning of June which means time for some more Patreon rewards, but this time it's both extra special and the end of an era as I'm uploading the FINAL piece of my back catalogue after almost 4 years of monthly uploads on Patreon! Not only that, but this final piece has never been shared ANYWHERE publicly since it was given to a single person on June 1st 2014, and if you're not within the less than a dozen people to have heard it with me in person since then, then count yourself lucky today as you're among a very few people to have heard this now! Some monthly updates as usual to get to though let's get started with this extra special and final monthly reward post on Patreon!

This 6 track (mostly) acoustic covers EP was given to Eva on her 22nd birthday, the first birthday I spent with her since we'd got together 9 months prior. It's titled "520 Kisses, 22 Years, 9 Months, 1 Eva", 520 being an in-reference between us which you can find out what it means with a quick Google search, and contains a selection of tracks that reminded me of Eva or us, or were lovely dovey / sappy songs I like. It's mostly acoustic with some surprises I won't spoil, and the lyrics for Trumpets have been changed with some in-jokes and references to make it more suitable being sung from me to Eva. Like all the musical gifts I've given since starting to release music again in 2012, this is free from any pitch or elastic audio timing correction, and back when I recorded this, my traditional editing techniques nor my performance were nearly as good as they are now, so this EP is unapologetically raw in terms of its performance and production with some strained vocals, fluffed guitars and more, but all in all one of the most heartfelt set of performances I'd made at the time and still in my discography now. Listening to this 8 years on (oof), it brings back memories of simpler times, less polished times (for better or worse,) but warts and all I still love it a lot, especially some of my vocal arrangements and Trumpets. It's definitely not my best performance or production, but I'm very excited to share it with you, and the full track list is as follows:

520 Kisses, 22 Years, 9 Months, 1 Eva - Nick Standing

01 Best Of Me - Starting Line

02 M+Ms - Blink 182

03 So Small - ItaloBrothers

04 Trumpets - Jason Derulo (edited lyrics)

05 Adieu - Enter Shikari

06 All The Small Things - Blink 182

Oh, and the run time is exactly 22 minutes too! Neat (and nice to be able to play with fade outs to get that exact)! I hope you enjoy the 520 EP, an excusive final monthly reward to you who's supported my music for so long on Patreon, and I look forward to sharing more new music with you when the time comes! 

All Patreon supporters will be receiving an exclusive download of the EP (including music and artwork) this month, and if you're a $10+ patron, you also have a collection of behind the scenes photos/videos from building the Leslie Speaker to look forward to! If that sounds good to you then join me on Patreon to read more and download the rewards below as well as check out all of this month's project updates in full. Remember you'll be receiving all past rewards for your tier too when you sign up so check out the archives (which are due to be updated next month) to see everything you can catch up on and hope to see you there!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/66087031

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/66087036​

Reward Archives: https://www.patreon.com/posts/50344842

Find out more: https://www.patreon.com/NickStanding

Onto the monthy updates, it's been a fairly busy one over here since releasing Tides last month! Despite my plans to take a full month away from music making and thoughts about not doing any more ambient music for a while, not only have I already been back to recording ambient ideas in my free time (though not for any concrete album stuff), but after about 8 months away from it, I'm finally back to working on the long time in the works upcoming 3rd full-length Better Than The Book album (and more)! It's been tricky getting back into the swing of things, but I've been back to some light vocal training along with arranging horn parts to get started! 1 horn part is fully done now with just 8 more to go in various stages of completeness, and although it's still going to be a long while until the album is complete, it's great to finally be back to it. I can't wait to show you what I've been up to since Hopes and Dreams!

On top of the music stuff, my month has been filled with some technical work as well servicing my bass for the first time in too long as well as giving my newly built Leslie speaker a full and what will be yearly service! It's sounding much mechanically quieter/smoother with some cleaned and freshly oiled motors and is playing extremely well in the newly updated organ rig! Have a listen to a quick jam on "Ask DNA" by Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts on my Yamaha combo organ to get a jist of that rotary speaker vibe. I'm super pleased with it (though excuse the squeaky chair):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTyyeuNBctU

There's some other super amazing music tech news that I've been working on over the past few weeks too which I'm super excited to tell you about but not sure if I'm allowed to share yet. Hopefully I'll be able to reveal some updates on it next month but until then you'll just have to use your imagination! It's big stuff!

Lastly this month, something very silly to share with you! A few weeks back, a Newgrounds/YouTube animator Codus came to me to ask permission to use a Pokemon cover song I'd made YEARS ago (for another animation) in his own Pokemon parody. He showed me what he wanted to use it for and it was just too good (and silly) not to be a part of. Thanks Codus for getting in touch and super happy to hear people are enjoying the quick video! Don't expect a think piece here, just enjoy the ride and I hope you get a chuckle from this:

That about wraps things up for this time! With all the past rewards available to my Patreon supporters now and the busy times recently with Jabun's Tides album release, there will not be any Patreon reward posts next month, as I'll be updating the reward archives and general Patreon page. I will be posting an update with what my future plans are for Patreon, rewards and more though, as well as some usual monthly updates, and as you can probably appreciate, things are going to be a little different now that all my past discography is all out. Nevertheless I hope you're excited for new music to come and thanks as always for supporting my music on Patreon, and however you can! Enjoy the 520 EP and I'll see you next month for some updated Reward Archives, and discussions on what's coming next! Take care!

BBS Signature

At 5/25/22 05:53 AM, Jabun wrote:
At 5/24/22 09:08 AM, The-Great-One wrote: You two are already doing it in text. Through threads, through the interview I did with you, and I imagine private messages.
True true! Emails too I might add XD

This would be fun some day...

In regard to the latest news: been looking forward to/hoping that Eva song comes out eventually! Hyped to listen in soon. Unapologetically raw recordings oftentimes seem like the best types too...

And that Pokémon animation lmao. XD

For Patreon, maybe it'd be an idea to have a single new track each month specifically for rewards? A quick jam or what-not? Any type of exclusive audio that wouldn't take too long to make/you might be able to stack up a bit in advance seems like a good incentive moving onwards too. For whenever there's no other pipeline projects.

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-06-22 05:20:55

At 6/21/22 09:50 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: This would be fun some day...

In regard to the latest news: been looking forward to/hoping that Eva song comes out eventually! Hyped to listen in soon. Unapologetically raw recordings oftentimes seem like the best types too...

And that Pokémon animation lmao. XD

For Patreon, maybe it'd be an idea to have a single new track each month specifically for rewards? A quick jam or what-not? Any type of exclusive audio that wouldn't take too long to make/you might be able to stack up a bit in advance seems like a good incentive moving onwards too. For whenever there's no other pipeline projects.

Great to hear CD and hope you enjoy that EP when you get a chance to listen :) With regards Patreon rewards, there's still some big things in the pipeline, so I think I'd rather concentrate on making those rather than too many smaller offcut things. Quality over quantitiy I guess? We'll have to see how things go in general, timing-wise too. Something to think about though and thanks for the continued support :)

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-06-29 05:52:11

At 6/22/22 05:20 AM, Jabun wrote: Great to hear CD and hope you enjoy that EP when you get a chance to listen :) With regards Patreon rewards, there's still some big things in the pipeline, so I think I'd rather concentrate on making those rather than too many smaller offcut things. Quality over quantitiy I guess? We'll have to see how things go in general, timing-wise too. Something to think about though and thanks for the continued support :)

Mmm quality does seem like the ideal; long-term option of the two. :) Maybe possible to just space out future projects when they come then? One track per album per month, something like that? Though that is assuming consistent rewards make for more Patrons in the long haul, maybe it's not really that important after all; people appreciate good and complete content regardless of schedule more than spaced out and consistent such.

Well yes, just a thought. XD Looking forward to whatever's on route than anyhow; cheers!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-06-29 11:42:37

At 6/29/22 05:52 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Mmm quality does seem like the ideal; long-term option of the two. :) Maybe possible to just space out future projects when they come then? One track per album per month, something like that? Though that is assuming consistent rewards make for more Patrons in the long haul, maybe it's not really that important after all; people appreciate good and complete content regardless of schedule more than spaced out and consistent such. Well yes, just a thought. XD Looking forward to whatever's on route than anyhow; cheers!

Hmmm difficult... that one track per month kindof thing for albums I mean. I like to make album experiences something to listen to in a single sitting, rather than just a collection of songs. Maybe for smaller singles that'd work though. Thanks for the support and cheers too!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-06-29 12:17:35

At 6/29/22 11:42 AM, Jabun wrote: Hmmm difficult... that one track per month kindof thing for albums I mean. I like to make album experiences something to listen to in a single sitting, rather than just a collection of songs. Maybe for smaller singles that'd work though. Thanks for the support and cheers too!

Singles hmm, somewhat of a tradition with albums too no? Maybe that's a way to space out whilst balancing proper quality and hype? The one or two initial individual albums singles, followed by the wholesome full on all-in-one experience?

Whatever works though!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-06-30 04:27:26

At 6/29/22 12:17 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Singles hmm, somewhat of a tradition with albums too no? Maybe that's a way to space out whilst balancing proper quality and hype? The one or two initial individual albums singles, followed by the wholesome full on all-in-one experience? Whatever works though!

Ah yes that works well :) Good thinking!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-07-01 06:17:01

Announcing updated Patreon REWARD ARCHIVE posts for 4th October 2018 -> 8th June 2022 including my full discography: BTTB, Jabun, Nick Standing, covers, mashups, articles, demos, exclusives and more, discussing my future on Patreon + monthly news and more!

Hello everyone and hope you've had a great June since the last post! Today I announce the updated set of archive posts for all rewards covering from 4th October 2018 (when I started on Patreon) to 8th June 2022 for the convenience of Patreon supporters and new patrons, as well as discuss my future on Patreon going forward.

These past months' rewards cover the full discographies (as of 8th June 2022) for my ska punk / pop punk project Better Than The Book, electronic / cinematic / ambient project Jabun, originals and covers as Nick Standing, as well as bonus tracks, mashups and more, and the REWARD ARCHIVE is here for your convenience so you can pick up all these rewards (Mp3s, WAVs, artwork and more depending on your tier) in one place when you sign up on Patreon. No need to search through all the posts manually: Just click the link to the REWARD ARCHIVE below (which will be pinned to the top of your feed when you sign up), select the archive for your tier, dig in and enjoy the music! Hope to see you in the comments!

Become a patron for as little as $1 a month to access the REWARD ARCHIVE below and all new music as it's released:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/44580119

I wanted to post a full list of the rewards here, but turns out it's SOO big now that it won't fit into a forum post! Check out the full list of rewards in the post on my profile page:

https://jabun.newgrounds.com/news/post/1284148

With my entire back catalogue of music now uploaded and archived on Patreon, there will no longer be regular monthly music rewards, but I'll be aiming to release at least 1 Album / EP a year and will continue to post monthly updates on what I've been up to and project progress as well as the monthly behind the scenes DEMOlition Pigeon rewards for the $10+ patrons starting August 2022 (next month). More Better Than The Book will be coming next as I'm busy recording/producing the project's 3rd album, but until the next post and then, thanks so much for supporting Better Than The Book, Jabun and my various music projects on Patreon, and I hope you enjoy the music (and articles) above and to come!

Onto some monthly updates, it's been a super hectic one this time with a fair few trips away as well as some unfortunate time off ill. There's been lots of (going to) gigs with an amazing trip to see Gorillaz (as well as Dreamcatcher and a whole load of other bands), Suzanne Ciani in Quadrophonic (an amazing experience), and finally the Red Hot Chilli Peppers (supported by Thundercat) for a fun birthday/retirement celebration for my Dad! Fantastic musicianship all around and those former 2 headliners especially have been a huge influence on my Jabun work, with RHCP's Flea being a huge inspiration to my bass playing too!

Meanwhile between those fun days out, I finally got the dreaded Covid which was no fun at all, put me out of it for about a week and has left me with some extended health difficulties even after "recovery", all of which very much hindered my goals for the month... When I was working however, I've been back to arranging horns for the upcoming Better Than The Book projects, as well as recording a few ambient Jabun jams and being back to working on some not-sure-if-secret-but-I-don't-think-so animation audio work for the biggest animation job I've had yet! Very exciting times there and I can't wait to show you when the time comes later this year!

Speaking of upcoming projects, with my music backcatalogue all out now, I thought I'd share an update on what's in the pipeline to come and where it's at. I'm a bit swamped with freelance and other non-audio work at the moment, but in terms of personal projects when I have the time to persue them, the next one I'm aiming for is as you probably already know Better Than The Book's next album project. There's a 10 track ~35+ minute album in the works + a 4 track ~13+ minute bonus EP and instrumental versions of each, and all of these are just awaiting the horn parts, vocals and a couple of extra things + the mixing and production, artwork etc... Unfortunately things are going rather slow at the moment, and the illness with Covid has really done a number on my voice and lungs so I'll need to really train up to get back to full health there (majorly sucky). I'm aiming to release the first of these 4 grouped BTTB projects at some point next year (the 10 track main album), then releasing the others at (probably) 6 month intervals to space things out. There's certainly a lot of BTTB to share and I'm really looking forward to getting it out into the world!

On top of that, there's still over 70 minutes of Jabun demos as well as a few more live jams to share, though that's much less structured at the moment. I'll aim to get back to that after the Better Than The Book projects, though I'm very sure it's all going to keep me very busy on top of freelance work and non-audio work. All in all, lots of stuff in the pipeline though unfortunately no concrete ETAs just yet, but I'll keep you all updated with what's going on each month and if you're a $10 patron, you'll have demos and behind the scenes peeks too.

In terms of other news this month, Inner Space was featured on the Tank Tribune No.61's phonograph playlist on Newgrounds! Thanks as always for sharing the music TTT and keep up the great work!

https://thetanktribune.newgrounds.com/news/post/1277300

That about wraps things up for this post. I'll be back in August for the usual Patreon reward posts (apart from there being no new monthly music), but until then I hope you have an amazing July to come and thanks as always for supporting my music however you can! Take care and I can't wait to show you what I've been working on!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-07-06 06:16:30

At 7/1/22 06:17 AM, Jabun wrote: Take care and I can't wait to show you what I've been working on!

Sounds like there's plenty of material for the Patreon still floating around there after all! :D Though bigger yearly projects sounds like a good lure regardless. The existing archive's pretty extensive too...

Hope you get your lung capacity back soon! And what an impressive concert season so far! RHCP's on my bucketlist. Seems they don't age like normal mortals but it's starting to feel like maybe oughta get to them soon... Frusciante's back too now...

All the best man; hope you have a great summer too!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-07-06 11:49:23

At 7/6/22 06:16 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Sounds like there's plenty of material for the Patreon still floating around there after all! :D Though bigger yearly projects sounds like a good lure regardless. The existing archive's pretty extensive too...

Hope you get your lung capacity back soon! And what an impressive concert season so far! RHCP's on my bucketlist. Seems they don't age like normal mortals but it's starting to feel like maybe oughta get to them soon... Frusciante's back too now...

All the best man; hope you have a great summer too!

Yup still lots in the pipeline, some random jams etc... Indeed my personal archive is waaay bigger than I thought looking through (and that's not even including all the collaborative stuff)!

It's getting better now but still a way to go... It was definitely a stuggle singing at that RHCPs gig unfortunately, but listening was great! Indeed they are SHREDDED (physically) despite their age and the musicianship was phenomenal. Frusciante's random jams with Flea inbetween songs were honestly some of the best parts of the show! Highly recommend seeing them if you get a chance :D Enjoy the summer and cheers :D All the best to you too!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-08-01 11:49:38

August 2022 blog post: A new World Beyond music video, progress on Better Than The Book Horn arrangements, a new WIP studio demo from BTTB for the $10 Patrons + setting and reflecting on goals.!

Hi everyone and hope you've had a great July and stayed cool during this crazy hot weather! Since all my personal backcatalogue has been uploaded now, this'll be the first regular monthly blog post without any Patreon reward downloads (unless you're a $10 patron), but I'm thinking this area's looking a bit empty so let's see if I can muster up something else to share in the near future while you're waiting for the next big project release from Better Than The Book or Jabun (at least for the Patreon supporters)!

In the mean time it's onto monthly updates, and it's been an intensely busy few weeks spent on a super exciting mystery collaborative project I'm still not sure if I can talk about yet. Only a few months until release time though so there'll be something to share on that very soon (and it's one of the biggest projects I've worked on yet). Meanwhile, I managed to find some free time in between heaving mixing sessions to continue arranging horns for the upcoming Better Than The Book album projects, and so 3 more horn parts are finished and only 4 are left to go! Slow progress but progress nonetheless and I'm super pleased with the way it's sounding at least!

Meanwhile, Vlad from World Beyond has released an amazing "short (but not really)" animated music video for our work together on the Nobody Asked For This So I Did It album! The new video shares the lore behind World Beyond's fictional storytelling with a super nicely put together hybrid animation and really showcases Vlad's creativity in the visual arts, storytelling, and of course music! You'll hear me pounding along on bass and lead guitar as usual too. Check out the new music video below and hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_LdEwYSQ20

Finally it's time to set and reflect on some goals and last time I set just one goal, to finish the BTTB horn arrangements for the upcoming album projects (7 tracks total). It's been a super busy month with other production work, so as mentioned above I only managed to complete 3 out of the 7 left. With another busy month set for August, I'll just continue this goal as best I can and try to finish off those final 4 horn parts if and when I can. Wish me luck and hope you have a productive month too!

That's it for this month unless you're a $10 patron in which case you have a new Better Than The Book demo to listen to! It's looking to be another super busy month ahead but until next time, hope you all have a great time and thanks for supporting my music however you can and especially on Patreon! All the best and take care!

All Patreon supporters will recieve all past rewards for your tier when you sign up so check out the archives to see everything you can catch up on and hope to see you there!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/68556984/​

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/68556988/​

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-09-01 05:24:56

September 2022 blog and Patreon post: Monthly updates including a trailer for Sif Savery's Tales of Zale Episode 3 (which I'm doing sound for), a feature celerating Roland's 50th anniversary, more BTTB horn updates + An exclusive Jabun ambient live jam for the $10 patrons!

Hi everyone and hope you're having a good summer! It's been turbo busy over here working on the amazing thing in the title so let's get on with the updates and get straight to that!

After much hard work from a tonne of talented people, the time has almost come and I'm super pleased to finally be able to announce that I'll be mixing audio again for the latest episode of Tales of Zale!

Check out the trailer and mark September 7th on your calendars because this is one you won't want to miss! A huge thanks to Sif Perlt Savery for having me on the team! It's been undoubtly the most challanging and ambitious animation I've been a part of to date! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpXKM8wMdb0

Onto other updates, despite such a busy month, I still managed to get a full 3 more horn parts finished for the upcoming Better Than The Book projects (as well as playing around with some other stuff)! Just one more horn part to go, and it's SOOO close, but not quite done yet so I'll be aiming to finish that off in September!

Meanwhile and lastly for the news this time, the synth/music-tech company Roland is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year and to celebrate they asked people to send in their stories of how Roland has changed and enriched their lives! Among the countless stories, it looks like they've chose not just mine but also my twin Eamon (who used to work for the company)'s stories to publish! Super cool! They're staggering the posts, so mine's not up just yet, but you can read the story of how Eamon got me my trusty Tr-08 drum machine for Christmas while working as the Roland rep in Andertons! They've even featured "Waves" from the Tides album on their blog too. That's pretty darn cool! I hope you enjoy the read and look forward to sharing with you my own drum machine related story (again another present from Eamon) when it's up!

Roland & Me feature: https://articles.roland.com/roland-and-me/

That about wraps up the post for this time. If you're a $10 patron you have new exclusive Jabun live ambient modular synth jam to look forward to, but until next month I hope you have a great September to come and thanks as always for supporting my work however you can! Take care and enjoy the new episode of Tales of Zale on September 7th!

All Patreon supporters will recieve all past rewards for your tier when you sign up so check out the archives to see everything you can catch up on and hope to see you there!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/70045307

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/70045312

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-10-01 06:19:00

October 2022 blog and Patreon post: Monthly updates including Sif Savery's Tales of Zale - Flickering Lights (which I did the audio mixing for), a feature celerating Roland's 50th anniversary, BTTB horns finished + Another exclusive Jabun ambient live jam for the $10 patrons and more!

Hi everyone and hope you've been having a good September. It's been another busy month here, and I'm so stoked to finally be able to share this with you (the video below) so let's get straight to that!

Following last month's trailer and after a tonne of hard work from a plethora of people, I'm super pleased to finally be able to share with you Sif Savery's Tales of Zale - Flickering Lights, an animated short film! I've been working on the audio mixing (and some sound design) for this for a few months now, but when Sif says that we were working on it right up until the release time, she REALLY means it! I think I sent off the final cut of the audio about 6 hours before the release, and it was approved less than 5 hours before the premier too! Crazy work schedules, but I think you'll be able to appreciate how much went into it! A huge thanks to Sif for having me on the project again, and a big shoutout to Matthew (the composer) and Patrick (the foley artist / sound designer) who I've been working with closely over the last few months! Check out Tales of Zale - Flickering Lights!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DLbgOeE2_w

Also, Sif's got some cool merch on sale if you're interested too! The link's in the video description on YouTube, and I just had to pick up the production artbook as a memento. Go check it out!

Another cool little bit of news following from last month, in celebration of their 50th Anniversary, the music tech company Roland asked for people to send in their stories of how Roland products have enriched their musical journey, and this month they've published the story I sent in! The editing is a little janky, but it tells the story of how my twin (after already gifting me my trusty Tr-08 a Christmas or two prior) gifted me a vintage Tr-505 drum machine for my 29th birthday: my first piece of gear older than I am! The article also features links to music by Better Than The Book and Jabun and it's an honour to be featured on among the greats on the Roland site! Check out "Nick Standing -  Welcome to the Club" below:  

Roland & Me feature: https://articles.roland.com/roland-and-me/

As a token of their thanks for sending in a story (and it being picked), I also have an awesome 808 hat and 50th anniversary T-shirt waiting for me too! Thanks so much for all the inspiration and the fun gifts Roland!

Onto other updates for the month, after such a busy and important project, it finally felt like a good (and safe) time to replace the cable on my main studio headphones. I've been using these since before I was recording Two Years On waaay back in 2015 and they've been run over by chairs, caught on stands etc... so much that they were very much in need of dire repairing. All good now though and hopefully this new cable holds for a long time. Onto more musical updates, I'm super happy to announce that horns have finally been completed for the upcoming Better Than The Book album (and more). It's just some extra acoustic stuff (including cello) left to do hopefully in the coming month, then it's finally (hopefully) time to start laying down vocals! It's been a long time working on this, and there's still much more to do. Meanwhile I've been busy prepping some new stuff with World Beyond, as well as another Jabun EP coming soon, so it's not going to be too long until the next project reaches the end of the pipeline! Exciting and busy times ahead!

That about wraps things up for this time, unless you're a $10 patron in which case you have another exclusive Jabun live ambient synth jam to look forward to. I'm hoping next month will be a bit more relaxed and restful, but we shall see what it brings! Until then, I hope you have a great October to come and thanks as always for supporting my music however you can and especially on Patreon! Take care and all the best!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/71688981

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/71688980

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-10-01 08:06:01

You weren't wrong about the Tales of Zale animation, so atmospheric, both visually and audially, great work there, and the Roland stories were fun to read! Basically two sides of the same coin there from both you and Eamon, and even managed to promo one of the latest tracks. :D Cool to see.

Sounds like you've been busy all summer here! With good things mostly hopefully, the Zale series really is a big thing....

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-10-01 08:24:07

At 10/1/22 08:06 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: You weren't wrong about the Tales of Zale animation, so atmospheric, both visually and audially, great work there, and the Roland stories were fun to read! Basically two sides of the same coin there from both you and Eamon, and even managed to promo one of the latest tracks. :D Cool to see.

Sounds like you've been busy all summer here! With good things mostly hopefully, the Zale series really is a big thing....

Cheers man and I'm sure the whole team echos the thanks :) Indeed regards the Roland stories too! Looking forward to picking up my hat when I'm next down south XD Yup... very very busy over here, not all with good things, but at least some good things (like the stuff above). With everything going on in the world at the moment, things are pretty darn crazy at the moment. Happy to see you again and thanks for checking in :) (Back to those emails again at some point I suppose!)

BBS Signature

At 10/1/22 08:24 AM, Jabun wrote: Cheers man and I'm sure the whole team echos the thanks :) Indeed regards the Roland stories too! Looking forward to picking up my hat when I'm next down south XD Yup... very very busy over here, not all with good things, but at least some good things (like the stuff above). With everything going on in the world at the moment, things are pretty darn crazy at the moment. Happy to see you again and thanks for checking in :) (Back to those emails again at some point I suppose!)

The world do be a little crazy lately, true that. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad at least! Indeed finna atch up on those emails soon too... good to see you too; good to see good things going on here still!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-11-01 11:25:51

November 2022 Blog and Patreon post: An exclusive Inktober Instrumental Jabun beat download for all Patreon supporters, a WIP studio demo from Better Than The Book for the $10 patrons + big updates from World Beyond, Cyberdevil and more!

Hi everyone and hope you've had a good October, Halloween and everything. Truth be told it's been a very difficult and turbulant month on my end, and with all that's been going on I've had to put all personal projects on hold for the moment, hopefully not for too long. I wasn't sure whether I'd be writing a post this month at all, but as it so happens it's been a very eventful month with collaboration news AND for the first time in a while I have a related new music download reward for my supporters on Patreon (exclusive too)! Let's get started with the monthly updates:

Firstly, as has become tradition, for the 4th year in a row, my pal @Cyberdevil has been doing his yearly Inktober challenge, writing and recording a new rap every day for the whole of October! As usual, I was invited to submit a beat to lend some inspiration, and although tough finding the time/headspace, I just about managed to get one to him which I'm really pleased with! Check out Cyberdevil's Inktober 2022 adventure below (there's also a doodle a day in the art tab):

https://cyberdevil.newgrounds.com/audio/

And check out our collaboration for day 26 below "A Lemon Leaf Breeze" which was also awarded a Front Page feature! Thanks Newgrounds:

Lyrics: https://cyberd.org/inktober-26-a-lemon-leaf-breeze-lyrics.html

AND as an extra exclusive treat, I'll be sharing downloads for the instrumental beat with all my supporters on Patreon! Hope to see you there (see the end of the post for details)!

This instrumental was a really cool one for music production "firsts" for me as it was my first time recording with my homemade spring reverb and Fender Mini-Twin amp (for the guitar), and also the first time recording with my homemade Leslie Vibratone style rotary cabinet (on the organ). I think this is also the first publically released track with that vintage Yamaha YC25d combo organ on it too which is pretty cool. Overall I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, and for those wondering (because I've been asked about it a few times already), that glitchy "synth" scratching sound is actually an electric piano being run through an analog modelled delay feeding back on itself and then playing with the delay time (courtessy of the Yamaha Reface CP's CP80 sound and the onboard analog delay effect). It's much too fun. I need to do it more often!

Onto other collaborators, World Beyond has been cooking up an amazing new cinematic orchestral album "Blindsight" which I've been helping put the final touches on (as a second set of ears) over the last few weeks! As far as I know, after careful considerations and hours or prooflistening, it's just about ready to be released and should be out in the next week or so! Expect to hear me on cello for a few tracks and check out the amazingly animated teaser below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAWlvB8-PLU

More on the following link when the album's out!

https://fanlink.to/blindsight

Finally this month, I'm super proud to say that Sif Savery's Tales of Zale "Flickering Lights" animated film that I did the sound mix (and some sound design) for has been awarded "Best Nordic-Baltic Children's Film" by the Fredrikstad Animation Festival 2022, by the jury of children too apparently! Amazing news, a huge congrats to Sif and the rest of the team and check out the trophy below. Super cool!

https://twitter.com/Sifps/status/1583847952237273090

That about wraps things up for this month, unless you're a $10 patron in which case, I have another sneak peek WIP studio demo from Better Than The Book to share with you, a track I was supposed to be recording cellos for last month and which seems lyrically appropriate given the current times. I'm really not sure how much I'll be able to do music-wise in the coming month(s) but at the very least, I'll be back in December to share with you a link to World Beyond's brand new album "Blindsight" so I hope you're looking forward to it. Until then I hope you have a good November to come and thanks as always for supporting my music, collaborations and more however you can and especially on Patreon. All the best, take care and I hope to be sharing more new music with you soon.

All Patreon supporters will receive all past rewards for your tier when you sign up so check out the archives to see everything you can catch up on and hope to see you there!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/73367978

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/73367977

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-11-02 11:53:26

At 11/1/22 11:25 AM, Jabun wrote: All the best, take care and I hope to be sharing more new music with you soon.

Looking forward to what might be next! Thanks for the plug again; that awesome instrumental.

And awesome projects in the works all over!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-11-02 12:12:28

At 11/2/22 11:53 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Looking forward to what might be next! Thanks for the plug again; that awesome instrumental. And awesome projects in the works all over!

No worries! It was a fun collab, and man oh man there is SOOO much more to finish in the pipeline... I don't even know when I'll be done!

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-12-01 07:43:35

December 2022 Blog and Patreon post: Another WIP Better Than The Book demo for the $10 patrons, World Beyond's new album "Blindsight" is out, Tales of Zale: "Flickering Lights" gets multiple awards on Newgrounds and a Spanish Dub + more updates!

Hi everyone and hope you've had a good November since the last post. It's been another tough and busy month over here and apart from some progress mastering the upcoming Jabun EP I've unfortunately not been able to get to any of my personal projects since last time. That being said, it has been a very exciting month for collaborative projects so let's share the good news there:

First up, I'm super pleased to announce that World Beyond's new album "Blindsight" is now out and available on all the usual platforms! Check out the link below for all the options:

https://fanlink.to/blindsight  

And read more about it on the World Beyond blog below as well!

https://www.worldbeyond.net/2022/11/new-album-blindsight-available-111122.html

This'll be my 5th multi-track release with World Beyond (including the Revolt 3 track single, but not including other single releases), and this time I played cello on 2 tracks as well as put in countless hours of proof-listening and non-hands-on production assistance! On top of a wonderful album, Vlad's been busy putting together some amazingly animated music videos for each track as well which seem to be coming out weekly on the World Beyond YouTube channel! Check out the videos for the tracks I played on below and subscribe to keep up to date with the new videos as they arrive! Welcome again to our World Beyond and hope you enjoy the adventure!

Bewitched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaG-3w3ZkrU

Land of Serenity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUgLd-w9fg

Onto other projects, Sif Savery's Tales of Zale: "Flickering Lights" has finaly come home to Newgrounds and was greeted with big praise! Not only did it receive a Front Page feature award before it even passed judgment(?!), but it also went on to receive the Daily Feature (1st Place) Award and the Weekly 2nd Place Award too! A huge congrats to the team and thanks to the Newgrounds community for their warm welcome and check it out on Newgrounds below:

On top of that, Flickering Lights has also received a complete Spanish dub as well! My role this time was mainly just to strip the English voices from my English language mix to prepare it for dubbing, but apart from any Spanish speaking parts, it's still me on the mixing desk as usual, and I must say that the voice cast sounded on point to me too! Check it out below on YouTube and hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rExh3EZQ2_0

That's it for this month's post unless you're a $10 Patron in which case you have another Better Than The Book WIP studio demo to listen to as well. It's looking to be a very busy and difficult few months ahead so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to work on my own projects for a while unfortunatley, but I'll try to keep up with the monthly updates as best I can, and expect to hear more updates about the upcoming Jabun EP soon. Until next time I hope you have a good December, Christmas and other Winter Festivities, New Years and beyond to come and thanks as always for supporting my music and projects. The next update will likely be a bit late as I hope to be away for New Years, but I shouldn't be gone too long. Take care, enjoy all the new music, and all the best!

P.S. Would you believe that Better Than The Book's One Small Step EP celebrates it's 10th anniversary since release at the end of December!? Crazy how time flies and thanks for supporting Better Than The Book for all these years! Hope to have some more tunes to you soon!

All Patreon supporters will receive all past rewards for your tier when you sign up so check out the archives to see everything you can catch up on and hope to see you there!

$1 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/74132961

$10 Rewards: https://www.patreon.com/posts/74132974

BBS Signature

At 12/1/22 07:43 AM, Jabun wrote: December 2022 summary

Good to see some good things going on this month too, and Happy 10th BTTB anniversary in a bit! Time really does fly...

BBS Signature

Response to Jabun's Music & Patreon Thread 2022-12-01 08:21:31

At 12/1/22 08:14 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Good to see some good things going on this month too, and Happy 10th BTTB anniversary in a bit! Time really does fly...

Cheers CD! It really does fly doesn't it :) I'd really have loved to do a 10th anniversary mini live-session/concert for it, but alas time and life has caught up too fast... perhaps one day...

BBS Signature