00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Enjoyedthat just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fondest memories on Newgrounds?

1,979 Views | 43 Replies

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-22 14:16:21

At 8/22/17 12:57 PM, Hacklyn wrote: Wait. WHAT? A million? Are you sure? You mean this: 1000000 (6 zeroes)?

The games aren't great and don't really deserve their popularity compared to, say, Hungry Joe, but yes I've hit a million.

My other projects sum up to a few thousand more here and there but I believe these have the most hits.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-22 14:55:16

At 8/22/17 02:30 PM, Hacklyn wrote: Oh ye Godz! Who are you? I thought you were just some guy on the forums!

Total views don't mean a whole lot, especially on a site whose traffic has diminished as much as a site like Newgrounds. Hungry Joe and Rex: Origins both got frontpaged but cumulatively have less than 50k views (despite both being far better games than PewDiePie Adventures.) Had they been frontpaged a decade ago they might have as much as a dozen times as many hits. Another interesting point is that Hungry Joe got daily 7th the day it was uploaded, but daily 2nd only got a fraction of the views despite having a legitimate trophy. In other words, the success of a project has more to do with how much it spreads across the internet and the popularity of the platform it's published on - actual talent doesn't play a huge role unless you're WAY better than most people.

More than that, the amount of exposure you get has very little to do with your popularity and more to do with what catches and what doesn't. Someone famous plays your game? You might net a few hundred thousand views and if you're lucky someone might give you an "Oh yeah, I remember that!" if they find out you made it. So while I've had a couple things that you could call viral successes, no one really knows who I am and I'm still just "some guy."

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-22 16:10:55

When my friend introduced this site to me way back when, even before creating my initial account in 2009, I remembered playing the first thing that caught my baby eyes, "Hentai Kitten". It changed my views on games knowing now that there actually exist a type of game where the contents are rated-r. I was so innocent back then.

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-22 16:13:51

At 8/22/17 04:10 PM, DeadlyMace2 wrote: I was so innocent back then.

Oh and finishing Pico school, watching foamy the squirrel in full volume speakers.

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-22 23:47:00

For me it would have to be on the following dates.

2/28/06

and

7/13/06

Those were the dates I I went from silver to gold, and from gold to deity with my whistle.

What makes these so special for me was because back then it was almost impossible to get either of these due to the whistle system not being on a fix scale as it is now and the top user could not only raise the bar, but make it where people who had gold that weren't active downgrade back to silver.

good times for me indeed.

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-22 23:52:07

At 8/22/17 07:50 PM, tyler2513 wrote: Oh man my biggest nostalgia regarding Newgrounds is when everyone was posting Harambe memes and talking about the upcoming election with Clinton & Trump. Man, times sure were different I tell ya.

Goddamn that was ages ago.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-23 00:05:34

What's your fondest memory made on Newgrounds?

Experiencing Randy Solem's sprite films back during when Elián González was still a hot topic.
Playing vintage like Mewtwo Mayhem, Scorpio Mercenary Group until the dawn.

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-23 00:17:03

The shitposts... Oh wait.

On a more serious note, every time one of these threads comes up, I mention the EGB cerca 2007.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-23 02:15:38

Lonestar of the early 2000s, myg0t of 2004, dr steel of 2009. Arguments and fights that always gets people to leave for awhile off of newgrounds. But we always come back together and celebrate how wonderful this place is.

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-23 02:32:36

Of course the glory days of flash animation where everything was shitty but funny as all hell.

And this thread that I made where a bunch of people participated and really made it a fun time.

Unfortunately some of the main contributors had their post history deleted and all the cool stuff they added with it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1323858/1

I wanted to finish it but I could tell people didn't really care anymore lol.

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-23 04:19:49

I remember after I graduated from high school I'd spend so much time on this site, especially the forums. I didn't really use the internet much when I was in school and I kind of got out of the habit when I started college but for a few years between high school and college while I didn't have much going on newrounds was a pretty good place to waste time and be an asshole online.

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-23 06:51:57

I have a lot of fond memories of NG :)

They mostly revolve around being a kid in middle school and having Newgrounds as an escape from real life. This site has gotten me through the rough times!

Some specific memories I can think of are:

1) Seeing Numa Numa for the first time on here.
2) The 2000's stick figure animation craze
3) Becoming obsessed with the Newgrounds card game (That multiplayer flash game based on the card game from Final Fantasy XIII)
4) Spending all day on Newgrounds waiting for Egoraptor to release Metal Gear Awesome 2
5) Watching the first annual NG tank awards
6) Witnessing artists like xKore, Panda Eyes, cornandbeans (Space Laces now) make it big outside of NG.
7) Getting banned from the forums numerous times for troll topics.

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-23 18:53:06

At 8/19/17 01:14 AM, Raab wrote: stickam chat.

lmao @Techno @Tehslaphappy

BBS Signature

Response to Fondest memories on Newgrounds? 2017-08-24 03:16:31

The 2007 redesign. It was such a huge deal when it happened. The Internet was at a boom period where everybody was strutting their stuff.