00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GMan2006i just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NGAP15: Logistics Thread

12,532 Views | 215 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NGAP15: Logistics Thread 2017-07-26 15:45:36 (edited 2017-07-26 16:04:42)

At 7/26/17 07:11 AM, rebekahamberclark wrote: As an aside, let me be blunt: I've been working under the impression that this project is a 100% inclusiveness project to celebrate what everyone is capable of, rather than a dog-eat-dog, ruthless production.

I'm sorry if I'm leaving the wrong impression here. I do not wish to exclude anyone, it's just a necessary evil to be asking these kind of questions. This chairman thing, I didn't accept this position so I could dictate the hell out of everyone. I especially want to refrain from imposing any would-be selfish desires. In fact, I will refrain from making decisions any chance I get since that's a director's job. The terms on which you joined as a director are very clear to me and I think we're on the same page. Just keep in mind that 100% inclusiveness isn't always realistic.

So if it's decided by the group that people who wish to participate will be cut if they aren't "up to par" (in ANY groups and not only the voice-recording ones) then I'll be withdrawing from the project since that's not what I thought I signed up for.

I merely wish for contributors to produce something passable. Since Troisnyx brought up the 20th Anniversary Collab, there's been a good number of times where I decided not to include someone's work. An example from the audio project includes a composer who didn't read the rules. His contribution was a recording of him playing an instrument. I could tell from his other songs that he wasn't used to working with a DAW. We were on a deadline so I kicked him out because I was sure we would find someone better. Likewise I rejected a very talented composer from entering because all his songs were reaching peak levels and ended up sounding distorted. Despite all that we still managed to incorporate a big variety of people.

My first question would be, have the other groups been vetted for quality? Because if not, I think it would be blatantly unfair to do ONLY to the voice acting/vocalist groups.

Other teams have not been vetted to my knowledge and - while I foresee a more predictable outcome - circumstances may eventually lead to a dropout here or there. Whether this happens at all depends entirely on the director's point of view. Troisnyx' strict definition of "not up to par" is a desirable attitude here. Potential dropouts could happen if someone behaves obstructive, unreasonable or fails to deliver a passable product. Everyone deserves a chance, but it also helps to realize these things early.

The reason why I'm treading lightly in the vocals department is mainly because we're doing something no one has done before on NG. Animators, artists and audiophiles all had their own collabs but this endeavor of ours is completely new and requires a different set of expertise. I don't mean to reject anyone who records their lines with a built-in laptop mic, I just want to know if that's what we're going for (In fact, I'm sure the production group would like to know as well). Having looked around for voice acting talent in the past, I've come across many people who think they can voice act but actually don't know much about it. That got me worried, is all.

It's just that it would make sense to have the "heavyweights" playing leads and the people who aren't as familiar with their equipment playing supporting, minor, or bit roles.

Makes sense. For a second I was also worried about people with heavy accents but I'm pretty sure they'll find a place within the audio drama.

At 7/26/17 10:59 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Rebekah is right. In the 20th Anniversary Collab we didn't take the creme de la creme. We had people who didn't know how to mix, and we had the production team deal with a lot of the hicks and things that came with poor mixing. In fact, were not our tracks sent unmixed?

Some people didn't mix their tracks I believe, most of them were just unmastered. Our initial producer gave up after hearing what a mess it was so I had to pull some miracle and master everything myself. Speaking of which, should we have someone in charge of production?

What are we taking in new signups for? Inclusivity, or just as a matter of people not knowing (or not responding on time)?

Both. I don't know much about drama class but I'm pretty sure if a lead character calls in sick, there's always a replacement to save the day. In our case, a replacement role may be unnecessary but having a variety of voice actors focus on minor roles (or perhaps the occasional background extra, if those exist in our drama?) could pan out later. My experience with collabs is that lots of people sign up once the thread is first made but after a few pages, new admissions become rare. It could proof hard to find another person capable of filling the role that way. Besides, if more people sign up for casting, you're much more likely to find a suitable actor. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks our voice actors will take on multiple roles, the way we're set up right now.

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Logistics Thread 2017-11-19 02:31:14

First off I'm really sorry for flaking on the scriptwriting portion of this collab. The specifics were not made clear to me and by the time I realized what I was supposed to be doing it was basically past the deadline AND I was swamped with classwork.

THAT BEING SAID I heard there are going to be rap battles in this. Battles and diss tracks are something I'm very familiar with and can produce much more quickly than a script. Keep me posted if there's any demand for this - I'm not sure my voice matches the actors for the non-music parts of the project but I can write bars for days.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to NGAP15: Logistics Thread 2017-11-19 02:40:11

At 11/19/17 02:31 AM, Kwing wrote: THAT BEING SAID I heard there are going to be rap battles in this. Battles and diss tracks are something I'm very familiar with and can produce much more quickly than a script. Keep me posted if there's any demand for this - I'm not sure my voice matches the actors for the non-music parts of the project but I can write bars for days.

Sent a PM to @Troisnyx about this. But if she's not still in charge of Music/Lyrics, lemme know. Got a couple more people from HDC potentially interested in laying some lyric magic. Keep in mind even if we need a particular actor on some lyrics, we can always have our lyricist rap a part, then send it to the VA to voice. There are also fatcat extras in the first rap battle mentioned over in the other thread.

@Teqneek, this is the thread I was talking about, pretty sure.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Logistics Thread 2018-01-30 12:44:06 (edited 2018-01-30 12:45:41)

Is there a reason we don't have a SFX director, @Whirlguy?
Tagging the sound effects crew - do any of you want to take lead? I need to have some kind of hierachy so we can organise this effectively. :)
@1f1n1ty
@Azhthar
@Ceevro
@Ectisity
@EverReverb
@SnowTeddy
@SourJovis

EDIT - I derp'd. Sorry - I just re-read a message from Whirlguy in which I overlooked him saying he was taking care of it. Sorry folks!

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Logistics Thread 2018-01-30 13:23:30

At 1/30/18 12:44 PM, MetalRenard wrote: EDIT - I derp'd. Sorry - I just re-read a message from Whirlguy in which I overlooked him saying he was taking care of it. Sorry folks!

No worries, I'm trying to get it start somewhere early this week so look out for that :)

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Logistics Thread 2018-02-01 10:58:06

The SFX thread is up and running.
https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1429541

BBS Signature