00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Yamusy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64

31,134 Views | 644 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 6/27/17 12:53 AM, TaintedLogic wrote: FUN FACT: average score by judge -

@Bosa - 6.45
@ChronoNomad - 6.67
@EDM364 - 6.53
@Samulis - 6.20
@SkyeWint - 6.14
@TaintedLogic - 7.26

Which makes the overall average 6.54! I am perfectly content to be a little bit north of that. And it looks as though @EDM364 came closest to the average by a margin of .01, which is kind of amazing! @Bosa came in just a little bit lower than that. So I'd say we were more the Randy Jacksons of the NGADM, in American Idol-esque parlance.

@SkyeWint wins the Simon Cowell award, which obviously comes as no big surprise. @Samulis ended up being a close second. Your black t-shirts are in the mail. (;

And @TaintedLogic wins the Paula Abdul award! Although even he didn't single-handedly give out all the highest scores, his average was higher than my own by a fair margin.

This has been your daily dose of Fun Factoids with your hosts, the Hands of Fate!

At 6/27/17 01:16 AM, SkyeWint wrote:
I'm absolutely flabbergasted that I gave the lowest scores. Me? Never.

I would have been disappointed in you if you didn't keep up with the tradition of pissing people off lol
Your reviews were the antithesis to Step's but you both had very thorough and helpful reviews.
The NGADM just wouldn't be the same without you.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 09:18:09

Aww, frootza didn't make it. Was hoping he would rematch with kor-rune.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 12:03:15

@Bosa - 6.45
@ChronoNomad - 6.67
@EDM364 - 6.53
@Samulis - 6.20
@SkyeWint - 6.14
@TaintedLogic - 7.26

Way too close :/. Careful Skye, you might lose your Simon Cowell spot to Samulis if you don't get your shit together >:(

Just a random idiot

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 14:17:06

At 6/27/17 12:26 PM, Ectisity wrote:

@Bosa - 6.45
@ChronoNomad - 6.67
@EDM364 - 6.53
@Samulis - 6.20
@SkyeWint - 6.14
@TaintedLogic - 7.26
Way too close :/. Careful Skye, you might lose your Simon Cowell spot to Samulis if you don't get your shit together >:(

Don't worry. I got this. Besides, my reviews will get me there. No problem.

Oh, by the way! Here's a bit of generic advice for literally everyone. The NGADM is a place to show off what you can do. It's about hitting the fundamentals of music and making impressive, showy pieces that make people go "ok this person KNOWS music". It is less about making pieces that get specific artistic points across (though it's fine if you do) and more about making it as good and polished as you possibly can.

Intent factors in, but is not even close to the most important point that pieces are judged by in this contest. :)

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 16:14:13

if any edm people don't make basshunter music you're gonna lose lol

lel

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 16:18:58

At 6/27/17 04:14 PM, Sequenced wrote: if any edm people don't make basshunter music you're gonna lose lol

I think i will go for EDM / Chip this time (not joking)

BBS Signature

At 6/27/17 04:35 AM, EvilRaccoon wrote: Thanks EDM! Yeah, a little name change for a few reasons. I think I'm regretting it already! XD But SoundChris and I are good friends, so it's all healthy competition!

Hahah, I feel you there. I regret changing my name for sure. I no longer even do EDM, at least not in the same capacity as I was gearing up to! LOL. I like the new name and icon though. I just didn't recognize ya!

At 6/27/17 08:48 AM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 6/27/17 12:53 AM, TaintedLogic wrote: @EDM364 - 6.53

Huh, well, that does seem about average for me. I have a pretty broad range of tastes. Might have something to do with it, haha. Definitely a wide range this year, to say the least.

Which makes the overall average 6.54! I am perfectly content to be a little bit north of that. And it looks as though @EDM364 came closest to the average by a margin of .01, which is kind of amazing! @Bosa came in just a little bit lower than that. So I'd say we were more the Randy Jacksons of the NGADM, in American Idol-esque parlance.

If you hadn't mentioned, I never would have noticed. That is a pretty weird coincidence, 0.01 from the overall average.

I based a lot of my scores on sound, individuality, emotion, coherent thought, chord progression, and composition, appropriate for the genre presented, in that order, plus or minus a little here and there for what really spoke to me or transcended the instrumental medium, such as some of the Sega Genesis styled submissions or solo instruments. There were a lot of unpolished diamonds in the mix, too. Great turnout overall.

@SkyeWint wins the Simon Cowell award, which obviously comes as no big surprise. @Samulis ended up being a close second. Your black t-shirts are in the mail. (;

And here I was worried about being a harsh critic! I did notice I left some of the lowest scores on the sheet, and some of the highest. Really felt like I was all over the place. I suppose seeing the other scores was like sitting in a live room full of preconceptions and doing your best to ignore them.

And @TaintedLogic wins the Paula Abdul award! Although even he didn't single-handedly give out all the highest scores, his average was higher than my own by a fair margin.

This has been your daily dose of Fun Factoids with your hosts, the Hands of Fate!

And an interesting one at that, too! Here's to the next round. :P

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 19:56:03

At 6/27/17 02:17 PM, SkyeWint wrote:
At 6/27/17 12:26 PM, Ectisity wrote: Way too close :/. Careful Skye, you might lose your Simon Cowell spot to Samulis if you don't get your shit together >:(
Don't worry. I got this. Besides, my reviews will get me there. No problem.

Oh, by the way! Here's a bit of generic advice for literally everyone. The NGADM is a place to show off what you can do. It's about hitting the fundamentals of music and making impressive, showy pieces that make people go "ok this person KNOWS music". It is less about making pieces that get specific artistic points across (though it's fine if you do) and more about making it as good and polished as you possibly can.

Intent factors in, but is not even close to the most important point that pieces are judged by in this contest. :)

^^ What Skye said: impress us with your skill and show us what you got!

BTW- Skye will never give higher ratings than me. It's impossible.

On average, I gave folks ~10% lower ratings for production than composition- listen and compare your mixes to professional mixes and make sure they're up to snuff! If it feels lacking or is painfully loud or quiet, try some tweaks or look up mixing tutorials. Make sure instruments are well balanced and that you're using the stereo field appropriately for your genre. As much as this is a time to show who's boss, it's also a time to learn new things and improve your formula. In my ratings, I reward originality and creativity- be it with mixing, composition, or using unusual or interesting sounding instruments/sounds!

And if you have $1,000+ sample libraries or hardware synths or whatnot, don't rest on your laurels- I've heard people make mix-wise better and compositionally more interesting music with freeware than expensive software/equipment some years!

While as judges we can't provide feedback until after the round is over, I recommend sharing your work with others to gain feedback before submission- friends, other competitors (probably not the person you are bracketed against, of course), mentors, etc.

Now go beat each other up and write amazing tunes! :D

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 22:07:03

Tight, boys this looks like fun aww yee

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/potatoman/sexy-potatoman

Anyone want to start some beef? I feel left out :(

Just a random idiot

At 6/27/17 10:08 PM, Ectisity wrote: Anyone want to start some beef? I feel left out :(

I'LL SEE YOU IN THE SEMI-FINALS MUTHAFUCKA @ectisity

...I mean, best of luck. I hope we both make it that far.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 22:13:00

At 6/27/17 10:08 PM, Ectisity wrote: Anyone want to start some beef? I feel left out :(

SCrew u ekacity ur name isnt even a word

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

@FinnMK You eat blueberry pie for breakfast

@johnfn YOUR NAME ISS NOT EVEN JOHNFN.NEWGROUNDS.COM YOU BLUEBERRY PIE

MAD FIREBOMZ DROPPI'N FROM BELUV THE HOOD YO!

Ps. Best of luck to you too @FinnMK :)

Just a random idiot

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 22:21:53

At 6/27/17 10:15 PM, Ectisity wrote: @FinnMK You eat blueberry pie for breakfast

@johnfn YOUR NAME ISS NOT EVEN JOHNFN.NEWGROUNDS.COM YOU BLUEBERRY PIE

MAD FIREBOMZ DROPPI'N FROM BELUV THE HOOD YO!

Ps. Best of luck to you too @FinnMK :)

The firebombz are too potent, I am slain

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 22:23:51

At 6/27/17 08:48 AM, ChronoNomad wrote: @SkyeWint wins the Simon Cowell award, which obviously comes as no big surprise. @Samulis ended up being a close second. Your black t-shirts are in the mail. (;

This is probably the most amusing BBS post I've read in a long time, hahaha! XD

Honored to be likened to Paula Abdul as a judge. :)

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-27 23:41:45

At 6/27/17 10:15 PM, Ectisity wrote: @FinnMK You eat blueberry pie for breakfast

B-

B--

But I LOVE blueberry pie. YOU MONSTER!

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

At 6/27/17 11:41 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
B-

B--

But I LOVE blueberry pie. YOU MONSTER!

It is rather fortunate that we don't have anyone participating in the Audio Deathmatch named BlueberryPie. They would be quite offended by this exchange...

Though I did find several submissions with that name.

I like blueberry pie, as well. But for breakfast? Oh, the humanity!

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-28 08:33:05

I wish I had a blueberry pie that I could eat for breakfast today so I can be like HAHA SUCC IT JOKE'S ON YOU

But I don't

So I'll just eat this blueberry instead

N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64

hey man, you uh you got something on your face right there, lemme just... ok, there we go, MUCH better, you are looking GOOD AS NEW

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-28 10:12:04

What is this about pie and blueberries

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-28 11:37:12

Well, congrats to all of you that made it!

BBS Signature

At 6/28/17 11:25 AM, Keitomine wrote: Why was I even informed of this if I didn't make to top 64? lmao

Because it's still an incredible contest where amazing, never before heard music is made by the 64 who got though.

And because I took the time to send out over 200 PMs to everyone who entered.

You're welcome.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-28 12:37:44

Made a playlist with all the audition pieces that made it through if anyone is interested:
http://www.newgrounds.com/playlists/view/938d865805567276153f62b2e2803368

Just a random idiot

At 6/28/17 12:37 PM, Ectisity wrote: Made a playlist with all the audition pieces that made it through if anyone is interested:
http://www.newgrounds.com/playlists/view/938d865805567276153f62b2e2803368

The standings have changed a bit due to @SilverFoxJams being disqualified. Using stock loops to create a track is not considered your own work, which is clearly stated within the Audio Portal rules, and is therefore disallowed for the NGADM.
For now, @Basset-Hound has taken over that spot on the bracket and has been contacted. Hopefully he will be able to compete!

The new match-up is currently: @AzulJazz VS @Basset-Hound

@TaintedLogic @Bosa @EDM364 @Samulis @SkyeWint @LucidShadowDreamer

Hey! so... Eh...

Here's my thing!

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/752528

At 6/28/17 05:01 PM, NahuPyrope wrote: Hey! so... Eh...

Here's my thing!

http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/audio/1114438/publish/submit/changes

That link doesn't actually allow anyone access (besides yourself), and it looks as though it hasn't actually been published yet. Try going into your Latest Audio Submissions once it's available and copy/paste the URL from there.

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-28 17:05:31

At 6/28/17 05:03 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
Thank link doesn't actually allow anyone access (besides yourself), and it looks as though it hasn't actually been published yet. Try going into your Latest Audio Submissions once it's available and copy/paste the URL from there.

I edited it, sorry xD

At 6/28/17 05:05 PM, NahuPyrope wrote:
At 6/28/17 05:03 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
Thank link doesn't actually allow anyone access (besides yourself), and it looks as though it hasn't actually been published yet. Try going into your Latest Audio Submissions once it's available and copy/paste the URL from there.
I edited it, sorry xD

Good deal! Hey, it happens. No big. In fact, I'll go ahead and post the really pretty version here for you:

All right! So we've got the first entry for the Round of 64. Who will be next?

Response to N G A D M 2017 - Round of 64 2017-06-28 18:16:48

WELP.

I was really looking forward to wrecking some n00bs but maybe next year.

Cries.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature