00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Johndewey just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Where can I improve?

450 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 14:17:44

Hello!
I haven't been drawing/painting for very long and while I know there is a HUGE amount of space for improvement, I can see that my art has improved a little over the months... Or at least I thought it had. However, from the ratings in my art, it seems it's hasn't improved and is getting worse.
Where am I going wrong? It's really disheartening that even though I'm practising loads that it's seeming not to be paying off.
Many thanks for your advice,
Katie

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 15:45:01

I'm not sure what's happened, but there's been a sudden jump in views of my art and the ?/5 score has increased substantially! So huge thanks to whom ever has checked out my art - you've given my confidence a huge boost!

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 18:08:24

Hey, some advice....

You need to resize your art into a bite size form, so that when its viewed by somebody full size, it isnt blown up to the size of the moon and all you can see is the corner of the work. I recommend 1000x1000 pixels and below.

Another things to do while you are at that stage is to rotate your image so that it isnt positioned sideways, this is both more professional looking and seems to me like a no brainer if you have any pride at all in your work and how its presented. Its very important. If the problem is not knowing how to do this, simply Open up MS paint on your computer and take some time to learn to command these basic tools to better your art.

One last thing, this is the internet, taking ratings on newgrounds on your art seriously is a poor decision, because the ratings are ultimately arbitrary and focused on the whims of the kiddies browsing this site. I could just as easily 5 rate all your art or 0 rate it all, for no reason. The important thing is that YOU are satisfied with your work.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 18:18:24

At 8/26/16 06:08 PM, Template88 wrote: Hey, some advice....

You need to resize your art into a bite size form, so that when its viewed by somebody full size, it isnt blown up to the size of the moon and all you can see is the corner of the work. I recommend 1000x1000 pixels and below.

Another things to do while you are at that stage is to rotate your image so that it isnt positioned sideways, this is both more professional looking and seems to me like a no brainer if you have any pride at all in your work and how its presented. Its very important. If the problem is not knowing how to do this, simply Open up MS paint on your computer and take some time to learn to command these basic tools...

A no brainer? If I owned a computer I would do that... but since I don't own a computer and upload from my mobile phone, that's not possible. Suggesting I have 'no pride' in my work is bordering on rude! I asked for help, not to be made to feel inferior because I don't have the same tools available to me as other artists.

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 18:20:58

One of the things youll need to learn about being an artist , especially posting on the internet is growing a thick skin and learning to accept critique, especially from your peers. You have a phone, that means you have a gallery app on it, you can use that to rotate and resize your images.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 18:28:01 (edited 2016-08-26 18:28:57)

At 8/26/16 06:20 PM, Template88 wrote: One of the things youll need to learn about being an artist , especially posting on the internet is growing a thick skin and learning to accept critique, especially from your peers. You have a phone, that means you have a gallery app on it, you can use that to rotate and resize your images.

I DID rotate and resize the images... They even look the right way up on my profile on NG, but apparently The don't stay that way up because of NG not properly supporting mobile access to the site
I asked about my art, not how the NG site displays it!
I really do not see why, even if you did feel the need to point out that some pictures are sideways, why you couldn't do so in a manner which wasn't rude or patronising!

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 18:48:03 (edited 2016-08-26 18:53:05)

At 8/26/16 06:28 PM, Merridrake wrote:
I DID rotate and resize the images... They even look the right way up on my profile on NG, but apparently The don't stay that way up because of NG not properly supporting mobile access to the site
I really do not see why, even if you did feel the need to point out that some pictures are sideways, why you couldn't do so in a manner which wasn't rude or patronising!

She's trying to give you critique, which was what you asked for. There's no need to flail your arms; she is legitimately trying to offer you advice. As an artist, you can choose to do what you're doing and call her rude or you can calmly approach the situation and try apply what she's saying to yourself.
Personally, I've heard much worse about my own art. In fact, I believe I was once told that my art was on-par with beginner MS Paint artists. Don't take things to heart and get offended, but still use it to better yourself.

If you're having trouble on mobile and don't own a computer, why not mention that in the first place when you made the thread? Also a side note, I believe there's an app someone else made, if that helps. Newgrounds through chrome on mobile is currently unstable.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 18:57:12

At 8/26/16 06:48 PM, Oddlem wrote:
At 8/26/16 06:28 PM, Merridrake wrote:
She's trying to give you critique, which was what you asked for. There's no need to flail your arms; she is legitimately trying to offer you advice. As an artist, you can choose to do what you're doing and call her rude or you can calmly approach the situation and try apply what she's saying to yourself.
Personally, I've heard much worse about my own art. Don't take things to heart, but still use it to better yourself.

If you're having trouble on mobile, why not mention that in the first place when you made the thread? Also a side note, I believe there's an app someone else made, if that helps. Newgrounds through chrome on mobile is currently unstable.

I have asked for advice regarding the problems uploading on the Forum previously. Had anyone been able to come up with a fix, I would have used it!
I don't have a problem with positive criticism, but I do have a problem with someone being rude. I'm not a 14 year old kid, but if I was, those type of comments could be incredibly damaging.

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 19:02:15 (edited 2016-08-26 19:02:44)

At 8/26/16 06:57 PM, Merridrake wrote:
I have asked for advice regarding the problems uploading on the Forum previously. Had anyone been able to come up with a fix, I would have used it!
I don't have a problem with positive criticism, but I do have a problem with someone being rude. I'm not a 14 year old kid, but if I was, those type of comments could be incredibly damaging.

How would we know that? We don't browse through everyone's previous forum posts you know. :P

She's not being rude. I looked back twice, and the things she said are actual advice and not things like, you know, "This is gay!!111" or "your art sucks." She gave you real critique. Which is literally what you asked for.
Things are only considered "damaging" if you make it that way. As an artist, you need to not take things so personally.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 19:04:59

Hey, regarding my comments, I pretty much do this criticism thing to help beginners of all levels because i enjoy watching them advance and grow and surpass me. Its my primary purpose here on this site. Its not about being patronizing as much as being blunt and to the point, i dont have time to be footsying around the problem here. Your thread is asking for critique, instead of focusing on critiquing your art I wanted to help you fix your presentation first because it seems to be more critical a problem for you than your actual artwork itself. You could have the most amazing artwork ever but if its flipped sideways and 9000x9000 pixels and nobody can actually look at it it doesnt matter. You have the power to fix this with the tools at your disposal, instead of being defensive why dont you apply my advice and be a better artist?

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 19:11:34

At 8/26/16 07:04 PM, Template88 wrote: Hey, regarding my comments, I pretty much do this criticism thing to help beginners of all levels because i enjoy watching them advance and grow and surpass me. Its my primary purpose here on this site. Its not about being patronizing as much as being blunt and to the point, i dont have time to be footsying around the problem here. Your thread is asking for critique, instead of focusing on critiquing your art I wanted to help you fix your presentation first because it seems to be more critical a problem for you than your actual artwork itself. You could have the most amazing artwork ever but if its flipped sideways and 9000x9000 pixels and nobody can actually look at it it doesnt matter. You have the power to fix this with the tools at your disposal, instead of being defensive why dont you apply my advice and be a better artist?

But I don't have the tools at my disposal... I upload from my mobile which uploads it sideways, even though it displays the correct orientation on my own screen. I have asked on the forum for help and didn't get very far because I was told that "NG doesn't really support mobile/chrome". So maybe you have an idea as to how I can fix the problem?

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 19:22:48

Hmm that does sound really problematic. That only advice I could give you is not very convenient, you could upload your images onto newgrounds and use a public library or some other system to fix up your images and reupload them in the correct size and orientation. Not very convenient I'm afraid. I'm sorry I cant be more helpful. Alternatively, you can take the picture itself sideways so its the correct orientation when you upload it. Catch my drift?

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 19:37:38

At 8/26/16 07:22 PM, Template88 wrote: Hmm that does sound really problematic. That only advice I could give you is not very convenient, you could upload your images onto newgrounds and use a public library or some other system to fix up your images and reupload them in the correct size and orientation. Not very convenient I'm afraid. I'm sorry I cant be more helpful. Alternatively, you can take the picture itself sideways so its the correct orientation when you upload it. Catch my drift?

That could be an answer... Yet changing the orientation of the camera would not deal with the scale situation.

I'm sorry if I was out of line by saying that your initial response was rude, I just think that far more is achieved when people are supportive and are positive in their remarks. Art is personal so people will take things to heart.

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 19:40:08

The scale situation can actually be done on your phone, and you should be able to rotate the image using an app on your phone too, you may have to download image editing software for your phone though but learning to use it should be simple, image editing software for mobile is often made to be simplistic and easy to use. Its a pain but its worth figuring out.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 19:49:08

At 8/26/16 07:40 PM, Template88 wrote: The scale situation can actually be done on your phone, and you should be able to rotate the image using an app on your phone too, you may have to download image editing software for your phone though but learning to use it should be simple, image editing software for mobile is often made to be simplistic and easy to use. Its a pain but its worth figuring out.

I will see what apps I can find, but the first time the image uploaded sideways I deleted and uploaded the picture dozens of times. What's frustrating is that on my own profile screen, the picture is displayed correctly so sometimes I only know it's sideways when other people leave comments saying that it's not the right way up.
Oh if only NG had a scale and rotate function!

I'm glad that we have sorted this... It's nice meeting you, Template88.

Response to Where can I improve? 2016-08-26 20:02:23

Same.

Try to figure out which way it needs to be rotated on your phone so that it uploads right. I wish you didnt have to do this at all, but it is what it is. The good news is that the app should be free.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature