00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tamer669 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Woman drawing - Need critique

3,147 Views | 45 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-20 16:34:46

Hello,

I draw as a hobby. For the moment, I wish to draw women in a naughty (but not suggestive) context.

Need your critique about this try. I have taken a picture and begin to draw. It's not an exact copy at all, I have transformed the subject.

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/borntodream/joy-to-sit-down

What do you think and what need according to you to be changed ?
Thank you a lot !

Horror drawing Inspired by the Blob (1988)

Unscouted artists can't publish on the portal. If you find ridiculous to yell on an empty place, make me yell in the portal :)

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-20 18:34:43

At 3/20/16 04:34 PM, borntodream wrote: Hello,

I draw as a hobby. For the moment, I wish to draw women in a naughty (but not suggestive) context.

Need your critique about this try. I have taken a picture and begin to draw. It's not an exact copy at all, I have transformed the subject.

Thank you a lot !

Have you've ever taken a life drawing class?
Basically it's the proportions that are the biggest issue.

I believe Andrew Loomis's book "Figure drawing for all it's worth" would be exactly what you want. He's famous for his pin up drawings and super human proportions in his drawings.

You can probably find lots of the pages on google.

BBS Signature

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-20 23:54:23

Well, hopefully you can see that you have a lot of learning to do, so make sure you are searching the web for drawing lessons and advice and reference. You know best what parts of the drawing are hardest for you and how close your drawings are to being what you want them to be. Youtube has a lot of great stuff. My favorite is this one.

The big thing for me is that I want to see clean strokes in a drawing. Scribbles and scratches make it look incomplete and even childish. And unless you are spriting, visible pixels (hard edge) also make it look bad. You don't necessarily have to give up hard edges, you can see the hard edges on this image if you zoom in:

but if you do that, you need to shrink the image later so that it can't be seen in its final form.

If you're using the computer to make art, try using programs like Gimp, SAI or Inkscape, as they will have a lot of helpful tools that make drawing easier.

Hello,

Thank you a lot for your answers.

At 3/20/16 06:34 PM, iceimp wrote: Have you've ever taken a life drawing class?

Yes I have ! during 2 years as a hobby. And then I stopped.

At 3/20/16 06:34 PM, iceimp wrote: I believe Andrew Loomis's book "Figure drawing for all it's worth" would be exactly what you want.

Thank you a lot. I discover this excellent reference, I will study the book. I didn't realize I have this problem of proportions.

At 3/20/16 11:54 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: Well, hopefully you can see that you have a lot of learning to do.

Yeah, I see :)

At 3/20/16 11:54 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: Youtube has a lot of great stuff. My favorite is this one.

Thank you !

At 3/20/16 11:54 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: The big thing for me is that I want to see clean strokes in a drawing. Scribbles and scratches make it look incomplete and even childish.

Hum, I need to think about that. I like childish style but if it gives the impression to be incomplete, it needs to be improved.
Thank you for the example of tools. I just use Paint and that's why I have this problem of pixel.

Any other comments are welcome !

I posted yesterday a second drawing I've done. Maybe there are the same problems so I will continue to work ! Hum, should say learn how to draw :)

Unscouted artists can't publish on the portal. If you find ridiculous to yell on an empty place, make me yell in the portal :)

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-21 19:16:21

At 3/21/16 04:57 PM, borntodream wrote:
At 3/20/16 11:54 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: The big thing for me is that I want to see clean strokes in a drawing. Scribbles and scratches make it look incomplete and even childish.
Hum, I need to think about that. I like childish style but if it gives the impression to be incomplete, it needs to be improved.
Thank you for the example of tools. I just use Paint and that's why I have this problem of pixel.

Can you show an example of what you mean by childish style? If it's something like loony toons or adventure time universe that is meant to appeal to children, that is fine, you just don't want to look like a little child has drawn it.

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-23 16:56:52

No no, you're right. It's not at all what I want to do.

I just say I found scribbles and scratches interesting, precizely to create the given impression of something unfinished and quite childish.

I have obtained the book so I will start to read it and work on it :)

At 3/23/16 04:56 PM, borntodream wrote: No no, you're right. It's not at all what I want to do.

I just say I found scribbles and scratches interesting, precizely to create the given impression of something unfinished and quite childish.

I have obtained the book so I will start to read it and work on it :)

Sure. There are cases in which sketching and scribbling can be used artistically. I've even heard from a few pro artists that they prefer to look at something like that because they find the art process more interesting than another finished work, but most of your audience won't see it that way.

There are some artists who use a painting style that is reminiscent of Impressionist style which was less concerned with detail or accuracy and has an incomplete look to it. (An art "impression" is sort of like a sketch, the Impressionists were accused of presenting their sketches as finished work, and the Impressionists said, "yeah, sure" and adopted the name) Most of the modern painters who make similar art do not call themselves Impressionists, so they are hard to find, but if you like to cruise through internet artwork you can find them. Here are few from a quick search:

http://kyoukaraa.deviantart.com/art/A-living-Painting-448944192
http://gunsbins.deviantart.com/art/Speed-painting-269496093
http://elias-chatzoudis.deviantart.com/art/Marilyn-oil-painting-270834822
http://rubisfirenos.deviantart.com/art/Japanese-Painting-Fox-569627091
http://leonidafremov.deviantart.com/art/A-day-of-feelings-oil-painting-by-Leonid-Afremov-522226985
http://nicolasjolly.deviantart.com/art/La-Sorbonne-Paris-Watercolor-Painting-430774915
http://nillia.deviantart.com/art/Painting-41665651

The last two are watercolors. As far as I know, watercolor always looks kinda washed out and splotchy. The other works are probably intentional. You might find this style more rewarding than mainstream cartooning.

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-25 14:30:39

At 3/23/16 09:28 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote:
At 3/23/16 04:56 PM, borntodream wrote:
There are some artists who use a painting style that is reminiscent of Impressionist style which was less concerned with detail or accuracy and has an incomplete look to it. (An art "impression" is sort of like a sketch, the Impressionists were accused of presenting their sketches as finished work, and the Impressionists said, "yeah, sure" and adopted the name) Most of the modern painters who make similar art do not call themselves Impressionists, so they are hard to find, but if you like to cruise through internet artwork you can find them. Here are few from a quick search:

Thank you for this research. According to my work, I rather prefer the two first links but I like the others too ! So I begin to read the book. Very good reference, happy to have discovered it !

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-26 14:59:56

You're welcome

At 3/26/16 02:59 PM, Guidodinho wrote: You're welcome

Excellent !
If my draw suggest you this body, this is a good start ! Ok ok, you've won, I will modify the face ! And also left knee, love this toe ! Ah ah ah !!!

Bye the way, you have convinced me letting less scribbles and scratches

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-27 08:07:19

At 3/27/16 07:54 AM, borntodream wrote:
Excellent !
If my draw suggest you this body, this is a good start ! Ok ok, you've won, I will modify the face ! And also left knee, love this toe ! Ah ah ah !!!

I look at this toe again and... it will be hard to work if i continue to laugh !!

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-27 09:58:15

At 3/27/16 07:54 AM, borntodream wrote:
Excellent !

It's good too scrible to get the base lines down. I just traced the scribles with a bit morr confident lines, except for the big toe and mustache, those were me

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-27 11:48:12

At 3/27/16 09:58 AM, Guidodinho wrote: It's good too scrible to get the base lines down. I just traced the scribles with a bit morr confident lines, except for the big toe and mustache, those were me

Yeah, I scribble first and then I delete some scribbles. I'm currently trying to decrease the impression of unfinished.

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-27 12:42:55

At 3/27/16 11:48 AM, borntodream wrote: Yeah, I scribble first and then I delete some scribbles. I'm currently trying to decrease the impression of unfinished.

Ok guys, this is my second try ! I've changed lots of things. Hope it's better :)

Like the chest but I would like to draw a shirt or anything else. Don't know for the moment. And I really need to improve mouth.

What do you think about this ? Is it better ?

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-27 15:08:34

At 3/27/16 12:42 PM, borntodream wrote:
At 3/27/16 11:48 AM, borntodream wrote: Yeah, I scribble first and then I delete some scribbles. I'm currently trying to decrease the impression of unfinished.
Ok guys, this is my second try ! I've changed lots of things. Hope it's better :)

Like the chest but I would like to draw a shirt or anything else. Don't know for the moment. And I really need to improve mouth.

What do you think about this ? Is it better ?

I liked the first one better. The new face is ugly looking, too much linework there, and a less shapely head. You have decreased some of your scribbles, but not enough to approach finished quality. In both images, the woman's leg is very blobby. Because the leg is in a central position, it commands attention so even though the rest of your anatomy is looking okay, the legs are really dragging it down.

So really, you're not doing anything wrong, you're just not doing enough. I'm going to upload this so that you can see the normal way to get it done. Start with a stick figure or something for the pose you want (1). Give yourself guides to help with any tricky parts, it's common to use this (+) shape on the face and sometimes the torso to tell yourself which direction they point. Add form (3Dness) to the stick figure (2) and move things around as needed. For me, this is a lot of scribbling over the stick figure and then erasing the interior so that I have an edge. Next add detail(3). Next add finished quality lines(4) in a new layer so that you can remove the sketch marks (5). In old days, the sketch is made with light pencil and the finished lines are made with india ink, so that they can erase the pencil underneath. Working digitally, you should use a layer. Last, add final touches or color to the finished quality lines (6). This is easier to do on its own layer. Full color painting uses a similar process, though I'm not patient enough for the extra steps involved.

What you've uploaded so far would be really good for the early steps of the process, but you need to do more to finish it up. If you are unsatisfied, you can change the way you are doing things, but that's not what's needed here.

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-28 15:41:16

At 3/27/16 03:08 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: I liked the first one better. The new face is ugly looking, too much linework there, and a less shapely head. You have decreased some of your scribbles, but not enough to approach finished quality. In both images, the woman's leg is very blobby. Because the leg is in a central position, it commands attention so even though the rest of your anatomy is looking okay, the legs are really dragging it down.

Thanks a lot for this new post !

I am happy because if the head and legs are the only problem, I have succed in improving the work :)

I've worked on my draw this afternoon and now I will stop. I won't be able to improve it so I prefer start another work. Your draw will be very useful for me to begin !

If a proper pin up is what you want to do, you need to understand how to make an attractive aesthetic, use proper human anatomy and use a suggestive gesture. Right now you have none of those things except maybe the gesture and even that is weak.

You're going to need to work on making your line quality better, this scratchy ms paint thing you got going on is not compatible with sexyness.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-30 15:17:41

At 3/28/16 04:02 PM, Template88 wrote: You're going to need to work on making your line quality better, this scratchy ms paint thing you got going on is not compatible with sexyness.

That's why I'd prefer to stop work on this draw. I won't succeed in improving the line. So I prefer start from scratch a new draw and work on the line.

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-30 16:58:57

Needs more....hmmm..

BBS Signature

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-03-31 18:04:17

At 3/30/16 04:58 PM, PeterSatera wrote:
Needs more....hmmm..

It's just getting better and better. xD

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-04-24 03:37:35

Hey

I've published a new drawing. More than 10 hours work. What do you think about it ?

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-04-24 15:36:41

At 4/24/16 03:37 AM, borntodream wrote: Hey

I've published a new drawing. More than 10 hours work. What do you think about it ?
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/borntodream/when-she-raises-her-leg

I have worked around 10 hours for this drawing. Progressively build my style and I currently work on two projects.

So I will be very pleased if you want to comment this drawing of course.

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-04-24 16:24:06

I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure what you're attempting to achieve with this.

It almost can be considered as a contemporary piece but I can't find any appeal with it as it's lacking a sense of mastery. If that was your intention then you've succeeded but aiming for the idea of "whatever" is self defeating unless you can make it ironic.

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-04-25 15:09:48

At 4/24/16 04:24 PM, Cairos wrote: I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure what you're attempting to achieve with this.

It almost can be considered as a contemporary piece but I can't find any appeal with it as it's lacking a sense of mastery. If that was your intention then you've succeeded but aiming for the idea of "whatever" is self defeating unless you can make it ironic.

Thank you for your comment.
For this drawing, the idea was just to represent a woman which skirt blows. Initially, I intend to draw a girl holding down her skirt above a metro air vent. But I'd rather prefer to concentrate 'cause I have not been able to determine if she stands above the air vent and look at us or has been surprised because her skirt blows. So I decided to focus on the woman and it's interesting for me to read that for you, it doesn't make sense.

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-04-25 15:26:56

At 3/20/16 04:34 PM, borntodream wrote: Hello,

Thank you a lot !

I suggest you find a better program to sketch inside of, and really look into human anatomy before you start drawing clothes on figures, it's better to know how every aspect of the human body looks like. The facial features definitely needs some work, the body is ok, but I know you could probably do better. Good luck my friend!

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-04-26 01:51:14

At 4/25/16 03:26 PM, Kalixo wrote:
At 3/20/16 04:34 PM, borntodream wrote:
I suggest you find a better program to sketch inside of, and really look into human anatomy before you start drawing clothes on figures, it's better to know how every aspect of the human body looks like. The facial features definitely needs some work, the body is ok, but I know you could probably do better. Good luck my friend!

Hey ! Thank you for your answer.
Yeah, I try to improve my draw of human body. I hesitate. Should I represent the face or not ?
That's nice, thank you very much

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-04-26 02:03:24

At 4/26/16 01:51 AM, borntodream wrote:
At 4/25/16 03:26 PM, Kalixo wrote:
At 3/20/16 04:34 PM, borntodream wrote:
Hey ! Thank you for your answer.
Yeah, I try to improve my draw of human body. I hesitate. Should I represent the face or not ?
That's nice, thank you very much

Iam not an Artist, but i would suggest you to use another Brushes, take a look at Krita Software its free and has plenty of Brushes for Drawing. Also after you draw this many little lines, add a new Layer on top of your work and make lines with one stroke, if you miss the line, CTRL+Z and again, and again until you have a clean line.

I started to learn view days ago and my first Result was like this http://i.imgur.com/pXuPXck.png (i think Artists call it Chicken Steps) afterwards i made one stroke each time and undo the stroke if did not matched. The Result was this http://i.imgur.com/gn3vZEF.png its still not perfect but looks better than the first one.

So try to avoid the Chicken Steps. ;)

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-04-26 14:36:07

At 4/26/16 02:03 AM, EvilBlackScorp wrote: Iam not an Artist, but i would suggest you to use another Brushes, take a look at Krita Software its free and has plenty of Brushes for Drawing. Also after you draw this many little lines, add a new Layer on top of your work and make lines with one stroke, if you miss the line, CTRL+Z and again, and again until you have a clean line.

I started to learn view days ago and my first Result was like this http://i.imgur.com/pXuPXck.png (i think Artists call it Chicken Steps) afterwards i made one stroke each time and undo the stroke if did not matched. The Result was this http://i.imgur.com/gn3vZEF.png its still not perfect but looks better than the first one.

So try to avoid the Chicken Steps. ;)

Thank you for your advises. I will work on the line for my next project. The fact is I reduce number of lines but I leave some ! :)

I also like the idea everyone can take the drawing and let his imagination run. Giving life to the girl, creating with the mind her history, her attitude... So I think it's quite interesting to let the draw relatively unfinished. Not to many of course

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-07-24 09:39:15

Hey !

On may, I have make two drawings. Thanks to your precious advises, that was very very enjoyable !

The first shows a girl wanting to make her friend look at her body. The second is more abstract and show two persons dancing. The girl has to look in one direction.

Feedback welcome ! Thank you and hope you'll like it

Response to Woman drawing - Need critique 2016-07-24 15:14:36

Aren't you making fun of these people a bit? :D