00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gaffi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is English a decent major?

2,246 Views | 48 Replies

Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 22:53:40

I'm considering dropping the environmentalist gimmick and going to school for something English-related after a semester break, like journalism or something.

Is that a decent option in your opinion or naw?

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:02:24

Not really. Journalism isn't really an 'English' major. It's its own animal.

And most jobs for English majors are pretty shit-tier. Imagine all of the dumb f*cks from your high school class. Now imagine having to spend the rest of your life teaching retards like them what the apostrophe in the third sentence in this post is for. Well, that's what many English majors end up doing. The lucky ones get involved in publishing (not authoring!) and edit for large publishing houses, but others just end up getting another degree when they can't find a job with their English degree and aren't enough of a masochist to become a teacher.

See: History majors.

If you want to become an author then that's a much better idea, but you don't need a degree for that. Authors have a chance to fulfill the universal (but seldom spoken of) human need to create a work that will outlive them. On the flip side, you're dooming yourself to a life of poverty unless you're really lucky (not talented, unfortunately; see: Twilight).

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:03:46

At 9/28/15 11:02 PM, Bit wrote: On the flip side, you're dooming yourself to a life of poverty unless you're really lucky (not talented, unfortunately; see: Twilight).

I'm going to die poor and alone, aren't I Bit?

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:04:02

I would say pick something practical that you can make money doing and not totally hate it.

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:10:10

Unless you're also going to get a graduate degree in it, you're wasting your time and your money. An undergraduate degree in English is nothing but an expensive paperweight. But let's say that you do plow ahead and get a graduate degree. You could end up being an English teacher (much tougher than it sounds, especially because of the internal politics), or a very poor adjunct college lecturer making about $3,000 per class barely surviving. And if you get a PhD in English (something you probably can't do), very few tenure track positions are open, so many newly minted ones work as adjuncts, do post-docs or leave academia altogether while weeping in deep debt. It sounds like you have to re-evaluate why you're even in school at all.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:11:38

English majors are what you go for if professional janitorial duties or working McDonalds are your highest life aspirations.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:11:58

At 9/28/15 11:03 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
At 9/28/15 11:02 PM, Bit wrote: On the flip side, you're dooming yourself to a life of poverty unless you're really lucky (not talented, unfortunately; see: Twilight).
I'm going to die poor and alone, aren't I Bit?

Tesla died poor and alone.

And Tesla is one of my heroes.

Tesla was also batsh*t insane. He didn't really know how electricity worked and he wanted to exterminate the fat people and sterilize the idiots as part of a large eugenics program. He once used a 'death ray' to pay for his hotel room and it later turned out to just be a box full of junk.

...Like I said, one of my heroes.

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:16:43

Why do you wanna drop environmental studies and why English?
We just gotta find what you love to do and find you a major that can take you places.

"...The power it holds can bring either salvation or destruction at the whim of the user..."

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:17:19

Is giving up a decent major?

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:30:36

At 9/28/15 11:17 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Is giving up a decent major?

Isn't that what you're doing when you major in English though?

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:31:49

At 9/28/15 11:30 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Isn't that what you're doing when you major in English though?

I thought it might be a decent idea.

I don't want to do this shit anymore.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:42:52

At 9/28/15 11:31 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
At 9/28/15 11:30 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Isn't that what you're doing when you major in English though?

It's only a decent idea if being homeless is decent in your eyes.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:43:20

Join the STEM master race.

Most of our jobs are upper- or even top-tier. You also get to work with super expensive, shiny things.

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:45:28

At 9/28/15 11:42 PM, Suprememessage wrote: It's only a decent idea if being homeless is decent in your eyes.

I get it.

Don't make me ban you hurrr

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:46:16

At 9/28/15 11:43 PM, Bit wrote: Join the STEM master race.

Most of our jobs are upper- or even top-tier. You also get to work with super expensive, shiny things.

And that's what I'm doing now and the issue is I'm not smart enough to do those things.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:46:19

At 9/28/15 11:43 PM, Bit wrote:

I don't know what STEM means, but sign me up.

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:50:02

At 9/28/15 11:46 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:

For all intensive purposes you already have a STEM job...

Sciences, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:54:32

At 9/28/15 11:46 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:

This is STEM.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-28 23:55:59

At 9/28/15 11:46 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote:
At 9/28/15 11:43 PM, Bit wrote: Join the STEM master race.

And that's what I'm doing now and the issue is I'm not smart enough to do those things.

Sure you are, you just have to find the right STEM field. Not every single one requires you to be a rocket scientist. Or if worst comes to worse, you can always become a business major.

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 01:59:58

Study Latin. Latin Major is better than either.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 04:45:33

I wouldn't really recommend English as a degree to get, because like a lot of people saying, it's not good for anything out in the real world. Get something science related because there a lot of companies who want people with science related education backgrounds, because there are not enough of them out there, like engineers.

You haven't seen me yet.

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 08:19:39

At 9/29/15 08:15 AM, Hoodie wrote: Get a real job.

What's a real job to you since I care about your opinion dearly.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 08:38:25

At 9/29/15 08:27 AM, Hoodie wrote: Maybe something that helps people or continues human development, definitely not some whining environmentalist or some leech pussy journalist.

I MEAN IT'S YOUR LIFE THOUGH SO WHATEVER

>Won't give a straight answer because he doesn't practice what he preaches

GG

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 08:44:33

At 9/29/15 08:41 AM, Hoodie wrote: I'm actually trying to be a cop but you will probably say I'm going to shoot and beat people so whatever.

edit : I say "so whatever" too much

I would consider being a cop but I don't want to deal with the fucking scumbags that go to the Police Academy at my school.

I'll try to be nice and won't go any further with it and your personality.

BBS Signature

At 9/29/15 08:52 AM, Hoodie wrote: Yeah there's a lot of bad guys pretending to be good guys. I mean cop really isn't a real job either but you know, "to serve and protect" and all that. Okay byeeeeeeee

Yeah and just by your stupid quips and attitude online I don't believe in your ability to do so. It's going to be bad. So bad, so so so bad.

Make sure you shoot first and ask questions later. Have fun.

Brain damaged cloppers in the military and passive aggressive autists carrying guns.

No wonder this site is dying.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 09:25:01

Yeah, it's a great life!

Is English a decent major?

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 10:29:22

At 9/29/15 09:25 AM, FattyWhale wrote: Yeah, it's a great life!

Except, like I said, it would be more for journalism because I'm not an "eccentric" douchebag.

Whatever though apparently that's a bad idea too so idk what to do.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 12:32:47

An English major isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is certainly not necessary if you're thinking about taking up journalism. Journalism is a different creature entirely. If you want journalism then I suggest that be your major with English as a minor. That's a nice little combo and gives you a fallback plan if need be.

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 23:15:24

Considering your needless hostility in our prior interaction, I'm not sure why I feel compelled to respond to this. Oh, right: I was an English major.

Being an English major prepares you for literally any job in the real world at a basic level. Sure, there are things like programming and engineering and management and all the majors that accompany them, but a really good English program teaches you a set of skills that are useful for the real world we actually live in. Every work environment basically boils down to a need to interact with people who you don't necessarily understand in a capacity that requires that you reach and understanding and work together towards a common goal (some company's bottom line, ultimately). I've read, experienced, and met many people in many great careers who majored in English in school. I'll list some jobs:

- Manager / Working actor at a major historical museum
- Assistant IT Department manager
- Technical writer
- Publisher
- Salesperson

Then there are the big name people, your Steven Spielbergs, Mitt Romneys, SCJ Clarence Thomas, Conan O'Brian, Barbara Walters, Lena Dunham, Diane Sawyer, etc.

The point is, like anything else in life it isn't what you have but what you do with it. These success stories are all success stories because these people turned a passion of theirs into a career. An English major can be a good launching point for something like that. It does not need to be a life-sentence for becoming a teacher. Not that teaching is a bad profession. If you live in a real state with a real respect for education and the vital role it plays in our society, teaching can be a decent and fulfilling gig.

Just had to throw in something that wasn't what seems to be the typical 'don't major in English' BS everybody else is slinging. The English major also prepares you in a very real way for a career in Law, if you're interested in moving on to Law School after your undergrad.

Good luck.

BBS Signature

Response to Is English a decent major? 2015-09-29 23:17:26

At 9/29/15 11:15 PM, Evark wrote: Good luck.

I already made an alternative decision thanks for the advice though you seem like a swell person.

BBS Signature