00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dingleberry96 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!!

10,912 Views | 201 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-30 14:54:58

At 5/30/15 01:43 PM, Ceevro wrote:

A real drum snare/kick would take away from the campfire feel though.
Where do you guys want claps? I can add some. Do you want me to add a few layers, too? Not just the one...
True, it might. It would be better if we might get a cojon or something. I can always add a layer of clap/thigh slaps, fer sure. Would need to be a really simple repeating pattern, just to make sure that anyone who wanted to add a layer could.

Try adding claps on 2 & 4 (with the guitar, basically) during the chorus sections where all the voices are in. It could be cool if everyone sent a clap track in to make a big crowd effect, but that method would make it a lot more work for Step. Thigh slaps and/or stomps would sound pretty good in the chorus if multiple people did it, too. I've been trying to get my hands on a riser for that, actually. No luck.

I've got a simple pattern in mind for the stomp/clap thing. I'll write it out on paper and post it once I get home.

Here's a simple idea ( external link just in case image does not work ):

*F-space notes are stomps/thigh slaps, C-space ('x' noteheads) are claps.

Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-30 16:50:42

At 5/30/15 04:09 PM, Darkmetroidomega wrote: Here's a simple idea ( external link just in case image does not work ):

OK, I've got the pattern (thank you, high school band, for teaching me to read percussion notes)...I think it works quite nicely, is easy to follow, and even if you did it yourself, it wouldn't be much of a problem for @Step to make it sound like several layers (right Step?).

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-30 17:28:13

At 5/30/15 04:50 PM, Ceevro wrote:
At 5/30/15 04:09 PM, Darkmetroidomega wrote: Here's a simple idea ( external link just in case image does not work ):

OK, I've got the pattern (thank you, high school band, for teaching me to read percussion notes)...I think it works quite nicely, is easy to follow, and even if you did it yourself, it wouldn't be much of a problem for @Step to make it sound like several layers (right Step?).

That depends. I can do layers, but I'd need have multiple recordings of claps/thigh slaps sent, rather than just one which I should repeat over itself, otherwise they'll just phase each other out.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-30 17:31:06

That depends. I can do layers, but I'd need have multiple recordings of claps/thigh slaps sent, rather than just one which I should repeat over itself, otherwise they'll just phase each other out.

When I've done it in the past, I find that three or so layers, with about a milisecond delay from each other, fills in very nicely. It's a great trick for making vocals sound richer as well.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-30 17:43:14

BTW: I've got the rhythm guitar part for Africa down well enough to record. Some odd chords in there, and after checking, my vocal range is going to sound REALLY odd in this song...I foresee having to relegate myself to singing harmony during the chorus...but I'll do what I can fer y'all!

Seeing as this one is getting close to wrapping up, it's probably getting close to time to begin Sing-a-Long Collab #4!

Also: @Tehdafta55n might not be able to get his accordion part in for this one...he's swamped with 3 bands that he's currently performing in...I'm trying to get his time, but somehow I dunno if I'll be able to...I really hope we get his contribution, 'cause an accordion would be badasstic...

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-30 17:51:20

At 5/30/15 05:28 PM, Step wrote:
At 5/30/15 04:50 PM, Ceevro wrote:

I can easily send a few tracks in with different positions from the mic, though I think it'd be good to have an extra pair of hands or two also do the rhythm to get some true variety in the sound.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-30 17:53:33

I can easily send a few tracks in with different positions from the mic, though I think it'd be good to have an extra pair of hands or two also do the rhythm to get some true variety in the sound.

If you can get them in, I'll do a second set this weekend. If not, it'll have to wait for next weekend before I can record again.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-30 18:12:17

Record the pattern and next weekend or later during the week I'll do a few bars of it too, from a few positions.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-30 18:51:29

At 5/30/15 06:12 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Record the pattern and next weekend or later during the week I'll do a few bars of it too, from a few positions.

OK, quicker is better (yeah, I like to push things along...I figure that the more often we put out great content, the more fans we'll get and keep, right!). I might also be able to record Monday night...but that's my only night off. I work two jobs the rest of the week, and I'm performing with a jazz band on Wed...damn...I gotta get less busy!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 05:28:09

Just got done recording the stomp/clap pattern a little while ago. I did all thigh slaps because I didn't have anything to stomp on. I've also done a small shaker track and an even smaller tambourine track for background purposes. Here's the Dropbox link. I added claps in a section or two that I shouldn't have, but that should be easy to cut out.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 10:57:06

So erm, video ready and uploading to Dropbox, will send to you @Ceevro.
Sorry for being a total weirdo. FYI I've never shown my face on Youtube before, my 100+ videos are all slide shows of cool stuff to go with my music.

Step: For my voice, since it's quite harsh compared to the others, you might want to blend it in more with the others (in terms of EQ - take out the hiss etc). Or leave it out there, whatever. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 12:13:55

OK peeps, another quick update:

We've just gotten our first bits of percussion in (whee!) and the mix is starting to sound pretty complete! Let's see if the percs round-out the solo section, and if they do, we'll be pretty much good to go, I think. If not, I'll record an extra rhythm guitar.

As well, Singalong #4 is up and running! I have posted the thread, and @Step has called-in the troops! If any of y'all know people who'd like to join in, feel free to recruit! We're doing Africa by Toto next! The dropbox for the guitar and vocal is already linked, along with a cheap'n'easy percussion track I recorded just to help keep the groove whilst you record. This song contains at least 30% more pants than I normally prefer, but it makes up for it with a pretty awesome solo, which I have not recorded, meaning some of you can take a crack at it! Let's get our sing on!

Hey, sorry for dragging ass on this: is instaudio okay for submissions?

At 5/31/15 03:17 PM, SonicWombat wrote: Hey, sorry for dragging ass on this: is instaudio okay for submissions?

Yeah, sure! Just got your files now.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 18:25:30

Aaand another update! It's kinda late here and I had to keep the volume low, so I'm not sure how good it sounds.

- @MetalRenard vocals re-mixed!
- @samulis brass turned up!
- @Darkmetroidomega percussion added!
- @SonicWombat vocals added!
- @ChronoNomad "...to you" vocal has returned!
- Miscellaneous mixing tweaks!

As always, if anyone thinks something should be changed, just let me know.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 18:37:35

Who did that funky vocal/guitar solo? XD
Loving the chorus now.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 18:46:19

At 5/31/15 06:37 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Who did that funky vocal/guitar solo? XD
Loving the chorus now.

@SonicWombat.

Glad you like it!

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 18:50:56

BAHAHAHA! That vocal solo!!! This needs to be a thing!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 19:01:35

At 5/31/15 06:46 PM, Step wrote:
At 5/31/15 06:37 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Who did that funky vocal/guitar solo? XD
Loving the chorus now.
@SonicWombat.

Glad you like it!

OK, put in my little vocal solo into the dropbox...dunno if it's too ridiculous to use in the final project, but I agree with it in principal, and it's funny as all hell...so even if we just keep it as a joke side-track...

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 19:08:40

At 5/31/15 07:01 PM, Ceevro wrote: OK, put in my little vocal solo into the dropbox...dunno if it's too ridiculous to use in the final project, but I agree with it in principal, and it's funny as all hell...so even if we just keep it as a joke side-track...

LOL, one second, let me add that in before I sleep.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 19:14:58

At 5/31/15 07:08 PM, Step wrote:
At 5/31/15 07:01 PM, Ceevro wrote: OK, put in my little vocal solo into the dropbox...dunno if it's too ridiculous to use in the final project, but I agree with it in principal, and it's funny as all hell...so even if we just keep it as a joke side-track...
LOL, one second, let me add that in before I sleep.

I'd love to record more stuff, but we got an actual thunderstorm here in Alberta...dagnabbit, every time I have a few minutes...

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 19:17:23

Here.

I could not edit that while keeping a straight face I swear.

im off to sleep now goodnight

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 19:20:16

At 5/31/15 07:17 PM, Step wrote: Here.

I could not edit that while keeping a straight face I swear.

im off to sleep now goodnight

My mission has been accomplished.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 19:35:55

At 5/31/15 06:46 PM, Step wrote:
Loving the chorus now.
@SonicWombat.

Glad you like it!

Yee boi

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 19:37:19

Feeling like after Africa we should cover I Touch Myself. Shit's rad tad.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 19:40:11

At 5/31/15 07:37 PM, SonicWombat wrote: Feeling like after Africa we should cover I Touch Myself. Shit's rad tad.

Hehe! Definitely a consideration. We seem to be getting mostly male singers here. Perhaps if we had a song with a female lead, we'd get more ladies involved! Did you catch my add-on to your solo?

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 19:48:31

At 5/31/15 07:40 PM, Ceevro wrote:
At 5/31/15 07:37 PM, SonicWombat wrote: Feeling like after Africa we should cover I Touch Myself. Shit's rad tad.
Hehe! Definitely a consideration. We seem to be getting mostly male singers here. Perhaps if we had a song with a female lead, we'd get more ladies involved! Did you catch my add-on to your solo?

Yeah, dude. Had me beaming from ear to ear. It's a great song in general. We done good, people.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 22:27:39

That solo section... lmao

THAT is the true essence of a campfire song

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-05-31 22:35:38

At 5/31/15 10:27 PM, Darkmetroidomega wrote: That solo section... lmao

THAT is the true essence of a campfire song

Hehe. I have no idea whether we'll keep it in. Maybe make a second link for that version, but post the more serious one...I do think it's hilarious, tho!