00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!!

10,882 Views | 201 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-02 22:24:12

So @Step: Where are we on completion of this thing? Are we waiting on anybody? Do I need to do some filling-in?

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-03 07:00:55

At 6/2/15 10:24 PM, Ceevro wrote: So @Step: Where are we on completion of this thing? Are we waiting on anybody? Do I need to do some filling-in?

We still need an overdub on the solo, right? @MetalRenard are you going to take care of that?

I also have a friend who might do some vocals and/or play some guitar for this. Other than that, I don't think we're waiting on anyone else.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-03 09:39:16

At 6/3/15 07:00 AM, Step wrote:
At 6/2/15 10:24 PM, Ceevro wrote: So @Step: Where are we on completion of this thing? Are we waiting on anybody? Do I need to do some filling-in?
We still need an overdub on the solo, right? @MetalRenard are you going to take care of that?

I also have a friend who might do some vocals and/or play some guitar for this. Other than that, I don't think we're waiting on anyone else.

Huh...you gunna be OK adding more vocals? This one has been REALLY vocal-intense. Which is saying something, considering how intense our previous ones have been. I've been impressed at how well you've handled it - you said you haven't done much vocal mixing before.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-03 12:55:17

Yeah he's handling it well. :)

I told you guys I'd record more claps, but I can't do that until Saturday. I'll see if I can fit it in tonight, just because <3.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-03 15:09:29

At 6/3/15 09:39 AM, Ceevro wrote: Huh...you gunna be OK adding more vocals? This one has been REALLY vocal-intense. Which is saying something, considering how intense our previous ones have been. I've been impressed at how well you've handled it - you said you haven't done much vocal mixing before.

Like 5% of my vocal mixing experience is from stuff I did before these singalongs, and the other 95% is thanks to the singalongs hahaha.

I think I can handle another voice or two. Well, truth be told I should be able to handle loads more, but I'm aiming to make it such that each singer can at least make out his/her own voice in the mix, and the more voices I receive, the harder that is to achieve.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

At 6/3/15 07:00 AM, Step wrote: We still need an overdub on the solo, right? @MetalRenard are you going to take care of that?

Oh and no - I won't be adding guitar to this. I'm not much of an acoustic guitarist. I could do a solo but my guitar isn't tuned for this at all (currently in drop C with the high E and B strings dropped 3 EXTRA semitones too to make sweet open chords).

Here's the stamp/clap thing. Copy paste yus? I didn't have time to do it for every chorus: 7 claps, 4 stamps, each from a different place in the room recorded in mono but panned according to where I was standing. I also varied my clapping "technique" to make it sound like different people.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28025798/My%20Music/Stamps%20Claps.wav

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-03 17:10:44

Sweet! Thanks for all the extra work!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-03 20:07:50

@Step - you got some more stuff to mix!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-03 20:11:16

At 6/3/15 08:07 PM, Ceevro wrote: @Step - you got some more stuff to mix!

Yup. I'm following this thread so I get notified with every new post.

I'll add that in whenever I can! I also contacted me friend who said he'll try and get some stuff recorded tomorrow.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-05 11:18:13

Alright, I'm thinking that I'll record a second rhythm guitar, so that the solo section feels a little less stringy. I'll get that done tomorrow morning.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-05 20:57:19

I broke a string on my mandolin. Will be getting new strings Sunday.

Maybe I'll look into what else I can play for this.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-06 09:18:48

At 6/5/15 08:57 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: I broke a string on my mandolin. Will be getting new strings Sunday.

Was it you that did the mandolin in Summer of 69? It was fantastic! I love it! (if not, you may bask in someone else's glory.

I haven't updated you all with a WiP for a while now, but I have been working on it I promise!

THIS is the latest version.

1.) @MetalRenard stomps and claps added!
2.) @samulis brass turned up even more!
3.) Miscellaneous mixing and levelling!

I boosted the bass of MetalRenard's stomps a stupid amount; let me know if it's too much. I love the kick it gives to the track though. What's left:

1.) Vocals by my friend. Should be receiving those today or tomorrow.
2.) Additional rhythm guitar by @Ceevro.
3.) Anything @Rahmemhotep or anyone else might want to add.

This is the time to point out any mixing faults. Anything from too much reverb to bad balancing between instruments/vocals to anything being too loud/too quiet... just point it out and I'll see what I can do!

I think we should probably also think about preparing the audio project to submit this soon, @Ceevro.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-06 13:07:16

Sounds like I have some work to do here! Which is great, because I've got a couple spare hours this afternoon, so I'll get right on all this. I'll put together the project page...I think Monday (lots of pointy-clicky stuff to do there, and I can do that any time...recording is a little different).

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-06 13:44:14

OK, second rhythm guitar has been added...it's syncing as we speak to the dropbox for this project. I used a nylon string so as not to take up the same tonal space as the 12-string. You'll probably have to boost the 12-string solo a bit in the mix to make sure it shows up next to the rhythm.

Are we keeping the ridiculous vocal solos in this thing? It's a really solid serious track, but those vocal solos are almost too funny to kill! What does everyone think?

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-06 13:54:35

At 6/6/15 01:44 PM, Ceevro wrote: OK, second rhythm guitar has been added...it's syncing as we speak to the dropbox for this project. I used a nylon string so as not to take up the same tonal space as the 12-string. You'll probably have to boost the 12-string solo a bit in the mix to make sure it shows up next to the rhythm.

Are we keeping the ridiculous vocal solos in this thing? It's a really solid serious track, but those vocal solos are almost too funny to kill! What does everyone think?

Hahaha I really don't know. Removing them kind of goes against the whole "campfire" concept, but at the same time, like you said it's otherwise a serious track.

How about keeping them in for the Newgrounds upload, and taking them out for the YouTube upload but adding that part as a blooper at the end or something? Though I don't know how much sense that makes without having video along with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-06 14:08:46

Hahaha I really don't know. Removing them kind of goes against the whole "campfire" concept, but at the same time, like you said it's otherwise a serious track.
How about keeping them in for the Newgrounds upload, and taking them out for the YouTube upload but adding that part as a blooper at the end or something? Though I don't know how much sense that makes without having video along with it.

True enough...we might add a link in the upload for the blooper solos, same way you do for the A Capella versions...I agree that it's totally something that would happen at a campfire, though.

At 6/6/15 01:44 PM, Ceevro wrote: Are we keeping the ridiculous vocal solos in this thing? It's a really solid serious track, but those vocal solos are almost too funny to kill! What does everyone think?

Gotta be honest, I'm kind of torn on it. Two versions might be the best course, mostly due to the overall tone of the song. I'm interested in seeing some other opinions...

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 11:40:18

Well, I've done some consultations on the solo, and universally, people are saying 'Keep it in!' So...against my better judgement, I think I gotta go with what the people like! @Step - I...I...I think we should keep it in! I'm putting together the project page as we speak. As per usual, I have made you a manger on the project...and I shall leave the official credits portion of the description to you, seeing as you've got the actual master track in front of you, and you know EXACTLY what everyone is doing on this thing...

Is there anything we're still waiting on, or are we nearly good to post? I'm hoping that the extra rhythm guitar sounds good in the mix...

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 11:41:28

Oh, and I seem to recall @Liquidooze putting something in here, but for the life of me I can't seem to find what it was - am I just daft?

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 11:54:02

At 6/8/15 11:41 AM, Ceevro wrote: Oh, and I seem to recall @Liquidooze putting something in here, but for the life of me I can't seem to find what it was - am I just daft?

I know he was thinking about it around mid May, but I haven't seen anything being added by him in any of Step's update posts, so I don't think he got around to it. Even though it's one of his favorite shower songs, don'cha know.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 11:56:43

I know he was thinking about it around mid May, but I haven't seen anything being added by him in any of Step's update posts, so I don't think he got around to it. Even though it's one of his favorite shower songs, don'cha know.

I think that was Africa...yeah, I can't seem to find anything on this one either. Well, he's sure to join in the fun for the next!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 12:02:57

At 6/8/15 11:40 AM, Ceevro wrote: Well, I've done some consultations on the solo, and universally, people are saying 'Keep it in!' So...against my better judgement, I think I gotta go with what the people like! @Step - I...I...I think we should keep it in!

Everyone who I showed this to also agreed, haha. Looks like that's settled!

I'm putting together the project page as we speak. As per usual, I have made you a manger on the project...and I shall leave the official credits portion of the description to you, seeing as you've got the actual master track in front of you, and you know EXACTLY what everyone is doing on this thing...

Yup! I'll write all that up once the track is finalised.

Is there anything we're still waiting on, or are we nearly good to post?

Well, my friend should be sending me his recordings soon. He has them all finished, but when I asked him for them he said he couldn't send them at the time and will send them when he gets to his PC. I've reminded him about it just now.

Apart from that, I think I'll be enlisting the help of @stunkel again for mastering if that's cool, since he did such a great job last time. That shouldn't take too long on his part.

I'd estimate that we should have this all finished by Wednesday at the latest. Is that alright?

I'm hoping that the extra rhythm guitar sounds good in the mix...

I added it in but haven't had time to render yet. It sounds great though. Still unsure about the levelling. I'll post it on here as soon as I find the time.

At 6/8/15 11:41 AM, Ceevro wrote: Oh, and I seem to recall @Liquidooze putting something in here, but for the life of me I can't seem to find what it was - am I just daft?

Nope, like ChronoNomad said, LiquidOoze didn't contribute anything this time round! The full list of participants should be:

@Ceevro
@Step
@seneka40
@Azhthar
@ChronoNomad
Sleeper256 from Reddit
@MetalRenard
@samulis
@Darkmetroidomega
@stunkel
My friend (when he sends me the files)

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 12:18:22

Excellent! We're right on track, then!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 15:47:10

At 6/8/15 11:56 AM, Ceevro wrote: I think that was Africa...

Yeah, that was the one! I keep bouncing between these threads so much, it all becomes a blur. I'm hoping to add my voice to Africa soon, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of time. I really like singing along with one of Step's update mixes for that, actually...so I'm kind of waiting on that.

At 6/8/15 03:47 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
At 6/8/15 11:56 AM, Ceevro wrote: I think that was Africa...
Yeah, that was the one! I keep bouncing between these threads so much, it all becomes a blur. I'm hoping to add my voice to Africa soon, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of time. I really like singing along with one of Step's update mixes for that, actually...so I'm kind of waiting on that.

So am I. We've only got @Seneka40's vocals in so far... @Rahmemhotep needs to resend his as separate files, so we're waiting on that. I think that as soon as we get a WIP up, people will start filling it in.

Yeah, sorry for the delay on that WiP, guys! Sleeper256 from Reddit also wants to take part in this one but is also waiting on a WiP. I've been busy studying for an exam that will take place tomorrow morning, but I'll get it done ASAP.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 16:13:38

At 6/8/15 04:12 PM, Step wrote: Yeah, sorry for the delay on that WiP, guys! Sleeper256 from Reddit also wants to take part in this one but is also waiting on a WiP. I've been busy studying for an exam that will take place tomorrow morning, but I'll get it done ASAP.

Don't sweat it, dude! If you got an exam, you look after that first! Last thing we need is for you to fail your schooling, and end up having to make NG your full-time career!

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 16:40:59

At 6/8/15 04:12 PM, Step wrote: Yeah, sorry for the delay on that WiP, guys! Sleeper256 from Reddit also wants to take part in this one but is also waiting on a WiP. I've been busy studying for an exam that will take place tomorrow morning, but I'll get it done ASAP.

What Ceevro said. Academia is ridiculously important in the grand scheme, so you've got your priorities perfectly in order. Go ace that thing, man! The world of sing-along collabs will be waiting for you when you get back.

Response to Ceevro's Sing-a-Long Collab #3!!! 2015-06-08 18:25:52

At 6/6/15 09:18 AM, seneka40 wrote:
At 6/5/15 08:57 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: I broke a string on my mandolin. Will be getting new strings Sunday.

Was it you that did the mandolin in Summer of 69? It was fantastic! I love it! (if not, you may bask in someone else's glory.

Yes I did and thanks, I'm restringing it soon so it'll sound better.

I don't think I can get on this if we want to just wrap this up to move on.