00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Duckyellow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Better Call Saul Thread

5,487 Views | 79 Replies

Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 00:17:04

So, how many of you watched the first episode of AMC's Better Call Saul? If so, what'd you think of it? How did it compare to Breaking Bad for you? Is it something that you could see getting really into?

Personally speaking, I really dug it. I loved how it felt like a natural extension into the universe that Breaking Bad created and enjoyed how it focused more on comedy than Breaking Bad did. I'm not sure if anyone will ever replace Breaking Bad for me, but this was a really enjoyable experience and I didn't feel like it was a cheap cash-in sequel to the story of Walter White.

So, how about you guys? What'd you think of the show?

Better Call Saul Thread

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 00:37:55

I forgot about this show. I remeber being hyped for it a while back.

I will watch the episode and shitpost about it later.

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 00:50:20

Nothing in it surprised me considering how Saul was in Breaking Bad. It had its moments, and I'll probably get used to hearing him being called Jimmy. He really is a tormented soul and the depths he will go to get money are limitless. Still too early to tell where this will all go.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 00:54:05

At 2/9/15 12:40 AM, SithCorduroy wrote:
Some of it was kinda confusing though, We're kinda just thrown into this guys life with no explanation.

True, but it's not like we learned everything about Walter White's life in the first episode of Breaking Bad. I'd like to think that they'll flesh out more details and explanations about Saul/Jimmy in the near future.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 02:31:52

The black and white intro seemed like it went on forever.
It annoyed me how they talked about Chuck for a while like you're already supposed to know who he is and then finally introduced you to Chuck.

I like Saul's character, he's hilariously tragic and good enough at his job to not get himself killed.
Excited for the next episode.

Tuco.

RIGHT-TILTING PENTAGON GANG

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 02:39:56

At 2/9/15 12:17 AM, ZJ wrote: Personally speaking, I really dug it. I loved how it felt like a natural extension into the universe that Breaking Bad created and enjoyed how it focused more on comedy than Breaking Bad did. I'm not sure if anyone will ever replace Breaking Bad for me, but this was a really enjoyable experience and I didn't feel like it was a cheap cash-in sequel to the story of Walter White.

A think that's as perfect an explanation of what I thought as you could get. Kind of reminded me of Korra vs Avatar a bit; Somehow they managed to take a good series and make something based off of it with its own unique but similar feel. They took the universe and created something new out of it. I'm really liking the retro-sh kind of feel the show has, with the opening and the even flashier pastel colors than BB. The writers of breaking bad always amazed me with their ability to pull off insane shit, so I have no doubt BCS is gonna continue to be good

Even though I like saul though, I like Walt and Jesse a lot more. Who knows what I'll think later on in the series but I don't see myself holding it above breaking bad

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 05:45:24 (edited 2015-02-09 05:46:57)

I was going to watch the first episode when it came out to see if it was any good, but I totally forgot about it. Oh, well...

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 06:03:40

At 2/9/15 05:45 AM, DeftonesFan665 wrote: I was going to watch the first episode when it came out to see if it was any good, but I totally forgot about it. Oh, well...

They're playing the first episode again tomorrow. Er... tonight at 9pm eastern.

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 06:52:38

I didnt like it. I expected more walter white or jessie cameos. Also its kind of weird to make a series out of the least interesting character of the franchise.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 07:52:19

the should have make a spinoff of junior instead. he was such a interesting and important character.

please detect my sarcasm

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 14:05:40

I just like that one scene from the commercials where he is like
"You will atooone!"

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 14:09:58

At 2/9/15 07:21 AM, ManDeep wrote:
At 2/9/15 06:52 AM, Luis wrote: I didnt like it. I expected more walter white or jessie cameos. Also its kind of weird to make a series out of the least interesting character of the franchise.
Who did you consider the more interesting character in the franchise?

You could make an argument for Gus. Apparently there were talks that this spin-off show was either going to be about Saul and his early days or Gus's rise to power in the drug world. I'm hoping we still get to see Gus's story. Maybe a really short mini-series like Band of Brothers?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 14:18:37

Oh fuck I totally forgot this show. Hopefully I'll watch it on demand

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 15:32:43

I can't watch this because I'm already following 2 other shows, it's impossible

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 15:56:34

At 2/9/15 02:09 PM, ZJ wrote:
You could make an argument for Gus. Apparently there were talks that this spin-off show was either going to be about Saul and his early days or Gus's rise to power in the drug world. I'm hoping we still get to see Gus's story. Maybe a really short mini-series like Band of Brothers?

AMC doesn't approach it's shows like HBO does and is not willing to do mini-series AFAIK.

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 17:44:59

I'll have to watch this at some point. Breaking Bad is probably one of the best series I've ever watched in my entire life.

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 19:52:44

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAR WOULD BE WORTH $500 IS IF IT HAD A $300 HOOKER IN IT! I can't wait for tonight's episode

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-09 20:02:34

At 2/9/15 03:56 PM, Richard wrote:
AMC doesn't approach it's shows like HBO does and is not willing to do mini-series AFAIK.

Good points, but I also don't know if Gus's story would be able to be told in the same way that Breaking Bad was over the course of multiple years within 13 episode seasons. I guess you could argue that the same would be true about Better Call Saul, but I don't know if it would be the same since Gus's story doesn't rely on being in the same New Mexico location with the characters that Breaking Bad had...

At 2/9/15 03:44 PM, SwisherCovent wrote: I'm on the last few epsiodes of Breaking Bad and the whole experience has been depressing as fuck. I've not seen Better Call Saul yet, but hoping it will be a little more lighthearted.

I've obviously only seen one episode of the show at this point, but Better Call Saul seems more like a black comedy about a lawyer dealing with scumbags then the brooding drama that Breaking Bad was. Saul doesn't find out he's dying of lung cancer in the first episode, so that makes it more lighthearted in my book...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-10 03:17:26

Goddamn I love Tuco and that montage was incredible, I was really excited for this show and it's managed to be even better than I thought it would be. Vince and friends I give you two thumbs up my own ass for doubting even for a second that you'd exceed my expectations

Looking around I already see that club soda is starting to become a meme, and for some reason I'm perfectly fine with it

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-10 11:24:36

I watch it, but was not impressed. Way over hyped show.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-10 12:58:43

At 2/10/15 11:24 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I watch it, but was not impressed. Way over hyped show.

Same.

With commercials, it had no flow. And the ending made me think it's all supposed to be fan service, not something that could get by on its own merit.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-10 14:18:40

The opening bit was really well done. The rest of the episode though, ehhhh... seems kind of meandering. I'll keep up with the show.

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-10 15:34:54

I think I like it. The cold open on the first episode was a little long for my taste.

The tone is different from Breaking Bad which is good. The scenes with the 2 teenagers were pretty good - seeing Jimmy's plan fall to shit immediately and then Tuco showing up. I gotta say I never really liked the idea behind Tuco - some unhinged drug kingpin or whatever - it's like they made him wacky-crazy as a one-trait character. He's lucid with his grandmother but totally nuts in every thing else he does? It would feel more powerful if he was reasonable most of the time and then the crazy just pops out of nowhere instead of the other way around.

Chuck - not sure how I feel about him yet. There's humor in how he deals with Saul/Jimmy but it could feel forced if they have the same "I'M GOING TO GET BETTER!" conversation every episode or every time there's a scene at the law offices.

I also like how the other lawyers and Chuck refer to him as "Jimmy" all the time. He is trying to present himself as an adult and a lawyer (wearing that suit, practicing in the mirror) but yet he is always reminded how he's still just Jimmy - his 'office', living at Chuck's, driving the crap car, being called 'jimmy' by all the adults.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-13 23:13:37

So far I'm digging the first episodes, despite their slow start things are starting off quite similar to breaking bad which I love.

First of all we see a flash forward, which is interesting. At one point he's laying low working at a cinnabon. Then we see his lawyer job sucking balls. It reminds me all too much of Walter Whites conflicts at the first episode.

Saul has yet to hit rock bottom which is amazing because for two episodes he's been spiralling up until the end of episode of 2. Something big should happen soon that permanently pushes saul to the dark side just like Walter White when he almost blew his brains out.

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-13 23:43:11

this is pretty good love Mike just trolling the hell out of Saul over parking. cant wait for the next episode.

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-14 11:44:26

I heard it was the most watched premiere of any show ever! Well, maybe Seinfeld had a more viewed "pilot", but I'm still disappointed I wasn't watching this. At least I know about it.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-14 17:17:57

Better Call Saul is pretty shitty compared to Breaking
Bad

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-15 10:30:23

At 2/14/15 05:17 PM, cga-999 wrote: Better Call Saul is pretty shitty compared to Breaking
Bad

So far, it has a rating of 9.4 on the IMDb. Then again, I heard that before the Twilight movies came out, people gave it the same rating...but come on, this is better than Twilight at least.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-17 06:14:59

Last night's episode was amazing. I was impressed with the first two episodes, but now I'm totally invested in the plot of this show and am eagerly awaiting next week's episode. It's fun to see how Jimmy/Saul is acting within this show and pit it against how he acted in Breaking Bad while also exploring the legal cases that he's getting into.

Also cool to see Mike doing Mike stuff!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Better Call Saul Thread 2015-02-17 06:50:57

Probably the best spinoff/sequel I've seen in a long time. It has a 9.4 score on IMDB, which is accurate!

BBS Signature