00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore

3,226 Views | 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What are some games that are legitimately hard? Not pseudo-hard (commonly thought to be "hard" but in actuality aren't). Preferably oldschool games but list any you like. Only requirement is they actually be legitimately hard to even the best of pros.

Examples of pseudo-hard games. (These easy games are frequently thought to be hard by less experienced gamers who haven't tasted true difficulty yet). Contra, Super-C, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Punch-Out!!, Marble Madness, Mega Man, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, Donkey Kong Country, etc...

Examples of overrated hard games. (These games are hard but are very far from the hardest games out there but are frequently incorrectly cited as "hardest games of all time". Games with respectable difficulties). Battletoads, Castlevania, Zelda II: The Adventures of Link, Legend of Zelda, Legendary Wings, etc...

Examples of truly hard games. (These are games that can kick the butts of even the best of the best even for people who've beaten them before and generally can beat pretty hard games. Less than the hardest of hardcore gamers need not apply). Abadox, Snake Rattle 'n Roll, Adventure Island, Air Fortress, Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones, Star Tropics, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Format can be like that, where you can list pseudo-hard, overrated hard, and truly hard if you like.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-25 20:45:51

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 05:25:41

Doom (Nightmare mode)
Diablo II (Hardcore)
Minecraft (Hardcore)
Flappy Bird

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 12:31:10

Fallout 1&2 on max difficulty. As for 3&NV, add some realism mods for food/water/sleep, as well as real injuries, and realistic bullet damage. For extra points, play the game while high, and NO quicksaving. You only get to save after sleeping to find a bed. Limited to 80 pounds of equipment. NO fast travel

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 13:05:25

Ghosts 'n Goblins

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 13:15:03

The original Devil May Cry 3 on Dante Must Die is a brutal game.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 13:40:36

Dark Souls or Demon Souls.

I do enjoy the learning curve.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 13:54:46

Wow your idea of hard games is very difficult to understand. Im not sure why star tropics is "true hard" while Contra is "fake hard." Or lost levels overrated hard. I have no idea if what I suggest is "true hard" or not. Personally im not sure I care.

I wanna be the guy
Vectorman 2
Demon souls
1001 spikes
Spelunky
binding of isaac
Super meat boy

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 14:19:55

At 9/26/14 01:54 PM, sweet21 wrote: I wanna be the guy

Oh god I forgot about that game. It's damn near impossible.
I seriously played it for over an hour and couldn't get past the first screen......

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 15:07:43

starcraft 2 brutal is like,inpossible unless your a pro pro pro gamer

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 16:00:45

At 9/26/14 01:54 PM, sweet21 wrote: Wow your idea of hard games is very difficult to understand. Im not sure why star tropics is "true hard" while Contra is "fake hard." Or lost levels overrated hard. I have no idea if what I suggest is "true hard" or not. Personally im not sure I care.

I wanna be the guy
Vectorman 2
Demon souls
1001 spikes
Spelunky
binding of isaac
Super meat boy

First off, have you beaten those games? Because I have. You really can't give a good difficulty estimation if you've not played through the entire game because while earlier levels may be easy, the later levels may more than make up for it, or in some cases what at first seems like a hard game really isn't, but it's more that you just need to get used to it.

Why do I consider Contra pseudo-hard? Because I can consistently get through the entire game on a single life, easily. Somehow if I can get through an entire game without taking any damage and without even really having to try, I just can't take that game seriously as a "hard" game. Do you want to restrict me to just the default weapon? I can still do it on just a single life.

Lost Levels is overrated simply because, while a bit difficult, it's nowhere near as difficult as people claim it to be. I can consistently beat it as either Mario or Luigi. If it was truly difficult then even I should have a hard time beating it, and I don't.

Why do I consider Star Tropics to be actually worthy of the difficulty title? First off, have you beaten that game yet? Because if not then step aside. If you have then you should know the difficulty spike at the end of that game is absolutely ridiculous. The entire early part of the game is extremely easy but to actually get through the very last part of the game and those final bosses is indeed hell mode.

So while I can easily and consistently get through Contra on a single life, I can only sometimes beat Star Tropics. I cannot consistently beat that game. So it earns the title of a truly hard game.

So truly hard games are those which are even hard to people who are actually good at those games. Not just games which are hard to less experienced gamers or to semi-experienced gamers.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 16:41:41

God Hand, mate.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 16:49:17

At 9/25/14 08:43 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Stereotypical gaming elitism.

Some of the things on that 'truly hard' list aren't actually that hard, in the opinions of quite a lot of people. The main reason being, difficulty is not a simple linear scale. Different types of challenges will be dealt with by gamers in different ways, and inevitably some will fare better than others as a result. Exactly which games will be more of a challenge for you is not going to have much of a correlation to a list of games that will prove hard for other people.

It's better to do your own research here. Especially if you're going to play the "if you haven't finished it, don't talk to me" card.

TL;DR: Go outside.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-26 17:07:45

If you want a truly hard game that has a good learning curve, that would be Blast Corps for Nintendo 64. It starts out extremely easy and you've more than enough training to get you going. It gradually becomes more and more difficult until, at the very end, only the very best of the best gamers can attain full completion (all platinums) on that game. You actually have to first earn the ability to earn platinums (instead of just gold) before you can go about that ultimate test as well. So many times that game tricks you into thinking you've "beaten it" too, just to add on more tasks.

If anyone disagrees with my rankings, that's fine. So what are some games you think are commonly thought to be difficult but they're actually easy? What are some games you think are overrated but still hard? What are some games you think are worthy of only the very best gamers?

To give some indication of my skill that's easily verified, since some of you are listing I wanna be the guy type games, check my medals on these games (I have all medals on all of these)

One of the hardest games on Newgrounds though I think is this one

Earn every medal in that game and you definitely earn my respect as a gamer and I bow to your prowess.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-27 15:45:13

Super Mario World, DKC 1 & 2. Those are my all time favorite games. You actually need to be a REAL gamer to get down on those games. Not a "I bought Turtle Beaches N bought all the weapon skins N I'm a gamer now". But an OG gamer. Real gamers know what I'm talking about. The kind of gamer who is jus so skilled at it its second nature. You know the exact right moments to fly with your cape, or do your cartwheel. I respect true gamers. I've seen so-called pro gamer dudes who play COD like 24/7 play like a 3 yr old on DKC 2, lost all respect.

"I'll never understand this society, first they tried to murder me, then they lied to me, product of a drying breed."

-2Pac

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-27 19:52:59

Super Meat Boy
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninjar Gaiden 3
Battletoads
I Wanna Be The Guy
Halo with skulls on Legendary difficulty

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-28 19:55:36

Persona 3 if you're into rpg's

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-28 21:22:39

At 9/28/14 07:55 PM, Celshaded wrote: Persona 3 if you're into rpg's

Game is not that hard unless you are talking about "The answer" or that ridiculous Elizabeth boss fight.

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is crazy difficult.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-29 19:21:33

Monster Hunter games are usually pretty brutal if you stick to single player.

There's also an incredibly obscure game called Mercury Meltdown which happens to be borderline impossible. The vast majority of levels are reasonable, but there are a couple that are just insane. For many of the levels that are normally beatable, completing the level with 100% mercury or within par time are just brutal.

At 9/26/14 01:54 PM, sweet21 wrote: Wow your idea of hard games is very difficult to understand. Im not sure why star tropics is "true hard" while Contra is "fake hard." Or lost levels overrated hard. I have no idea if what I suggest is "true hard" or not. Personally im not sure I care.

binding of isaac

The game is mostly luck. I started playing as Magdalene (I know, I'm a pussy) and beat Satan and Isaac on my first try.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-29 19:44:03

Watch out guys, I'm a HARDCORE GAMER!

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-29 22:24:17

At 9/26/14 04:41 PM, TheMaster wrote: God Hand, mate.

Word.

SMT: Nocturne is tough too but in a good way. Difficulty in RPGs is tough because ideally you want to have it so that the player is able to be consistently challenged without having to grind or skip battles and for me Nocturne did that really well. There are a handful of really tough fights but virtually every boss and even random encounters is dangerous.

A lot of games are just tough because of shitty mechanics or they just severely gimp the player which isn't as much of a challenge as it is a chore. I think the most fun I've ever had playing a game for the challenge was doing the Boss Extreme run for MGS4. It really let me use all of the various tools and tricks the game has, and it's packed with them.

Ideally a game that is appropriately challenging makes the player utilize all the mechanics of the game to succeed.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-30 02:16:26

At 9/29/14 07:44 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Watch out guys, I'm a HARDCORE GAMER!

Name some games you've beaten. There's nothing wrong with wanting to know about some of the hardest games around. Some of us like a challenge. Maybe this just isn't the thread for you if you don't.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-30 05:49:31

shinobi 3 on expert difficulty
doom on nightmare
mortal kombat 2 on easy
kid chameleon
halo on legendary
fallout on very hard and realism mode
silver surfer

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-30 10:38:10

Odin Sphere can be ridiculous at some points.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Descent is a challenge for any gamer. In addition, Killing Floor can be pretty difficult too.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-09-30 15:21:56

At 9/30/14 02:47 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: Descent is a challenge for any gamer. In addition, Killing Floor can be pretty difficult too.

Ooh I love Descent! Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to play well on any modern-ish computer. It's a DOS game and you can play it under DOSBox, but I can't figure out how to make the game timing right. Either everything goes way too fast or it's way too laggy and I can't seem to get it to play like it should.

It's basically Air Fortress in 3D. Huge maze-like stages where you go in, blow the core, then find the way out before it explodes with you inside.

At 9/30/14 03:21 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 9/30/14 02:47 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: Descent is a challenge for any gamer. In addition, Killing Floor can be pretty difficult too.
Ooh I love Descent! Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to play well on any modern-ish computer. It's a DOS game and you can play it under DOSBox, but I can't figure out how to make the game timing right. Either everything goes way too fast or it's way too laggy and I can't seem to get it to play like it should.

For the love of god, check out the Rebirth source port. It allows you to play the game on modern systems while retaining the same gameplay, and it adds a few features. You can even use it for multiplayer.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-10-01 12:27:17

At 10/1/14 12:57 AM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: For the love of god, check out the Rebirth source port. It allows you to play the game on modern systems while retaining the same gameplay, and it adds a few features. You can even use it for multiplayer.

I'll have to look into it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-10-01 13:40:23

At 9/28/14 09:22 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 9/28/14 07:55 PM, Celshaded wrote: Persona 3 if you're into rpg's
Game is not that hard unless you are talking about "The answer" or that ridiculous Elizabeth boss fight.

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is crazy difficult.

Don't listen to him. Persona 3 is damn tough on hardest difficulty.

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Actual Hard Games for the Hardcore 2014-10-01 14:55:43

how about super smash bros. brawl. i could not stand falling.

BBS Signature