00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Picckxls just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Any New Music Producer's Out There?

1,405 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Heyo people! I wanted to start a topic to meet new producer's such as myself. I techniacally started last year, but last year I didn't actually make anything. I just played around with the program (FL Studio) and then stopped for a few months. I started up again the beginning of this year, and since then I've been watching music theory videos or making stuff just to trash it later.

My laptop is pretty slow, so I haven't been on FL Studio for awhile. I went on it a few days ago out of boredom and mastered one of my old songs. Took me forever.

Well, with all that being said, are there any new producer's out there? It'd be nice to meet people who are starting out just like me!

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-26 15:39:39

At 7/26/14 02:47 PM, Exilious wrote: Heyo people! I wanted to start a topic to meet new producer's such as myself. I techniacally started last year, but last year I didn't actually make anything. I just played around with the program (FL Studio) and then stopped for a few months. I started up again the beginning of this year, and since then I've been watching music theory videos or making stuff just to trash it later.

My laptop is pretty slow, so I haven't been on FL Studio for awhile. I went on it a few days ago out of boredom and mastered one of my old songs. Took me forever.

Well, with all that being said, are there any new producer's out there? It'd be nice to meet people who are starting out just like me!

I started out almost three years ago in a similar position to you. I was operating off of a 2004 laptop that had failing video and audio drivers, a slowly dying 150GB hard drive, and a dual core i3 2.0GHz processor, etc. Point is, I know precisely what it's like to be limited by you hardware and rig. But I also think it is a good way to encourage creativity and learning. Learning how to overcome my own hardware limitations forced me to experiment more with resampling and additive synthesis, which I think is an important part of modern music. So, in short, welcome and I encourage your to continue producing.

[✖] Play a live show. | [✖] Sell music.

[✔] Sound design for games. | [✔] Produce an OST for film. | [✔] Get creepy fans. | [✔] Get awesome fans.

Moving up the ladder.

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-26 16:34:23

Thanks! I'll never stop making music. Music is a big part of me. I'm hoping to get anew laptop soon. It's a high price (769 dollars to be exact) but it's worth it. I plan to get a job when I return home for the new school year. Being 14 means I can only make minimum wage. It's gonna be kinda tough to make the money. That is, if I manage to get a job. But, I won't give up. I WILL get a new laptop.

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-26 17:02:02

At 7/26/14 02:47 PM, Exilious wrote: Heyo people! I wanted to start a topic to meet new producer's such as myself. I techniacally started last year, but last year I didn't actually make anything. I just played around with the program (FL Studio) and then stopped for a few months. I started up again the beginning of this year, and since then I've been watching music theory videos or making stuff just to trash it later.

Similar position to you over the last 3 years; save that I had two laptop crashes, three hard drive failures and one final, definitive Microsoft OneDrive failure that resulted in me losing all my projects &c.

But new and relatively new producers will grow in due course, and so will you. I remember taking up recording &c because after hearing many video game covers, I believed in my heart that I could do something similar, if not better -- and that's how I began. You have your starting story -- let's see where it leads.

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-26 19:55:09

Hey dude, I've just jumped back into FL studio myself :D

I listened to your latest audio that you mastered, its pretty awesome but one of your reviewers is correct. Your Crash sample is a bit poo :P

Try finding a better one or altering the volume and adding slight reverb to it :)

Oh here's my latest work

Have a listen if you like :D

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-26 23:04:01

Thanks for listening! That was one of my old songs from January. I opened up a few days ago and decide to fix some things. guess that crash sample alluded me. I'll definitely give your stuff a listen as well! What kind of FL Studio do you have? Demo, you bought it, cracked...?

I have a cracked version. It's only because with the demo, they limit you to options. For example, they allow you to save, but you can't open your projects back up. This limited me. So I searched around, found a cracked version, and that's what I'm using now. I have cracked plugins too. I assure you, if I had the money, I would delete everything and buy it legitimately.

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-27 01:42:57

yeah ive been a new producer for about 3 years and is till feel like a small fish

-mikey-

under pressure

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-27 01:58:24

At 7/27/14 01:42 AM, mike-cuzins wrote: yeah ive been a new producer for about 3 years and is till feel like a small fish

I've been writing music for 12 years and playing it for 16 years... and I still feel like a small fish. I don't think that feeling ever goes away for some people.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-27 02:16:00

At 7/27/14 01:58 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 7/27/14 01:42 AM, mike-cuzins wrote: yeah ive been a new producer for about 3 years and is till feel like a small fish
I've been writing music for 12 years and playing it for 16 years... and I still feel like a small fish. I don't think that feeling ever goes away for some people.

yayy D:

-mikey-

under pressure

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-27 03:13:54

I've been "Producing" since like 2006. mostly just bullshitting with the program, and made my first upload here in 2008. If you listened to my earliest track, and my latest track you can definitely hear the improvements. I know what the fuck I'm doing now. You'll get that way too. Best thing is to pay attention to what you hear in your favorite tracks. Watch tutorials (A ton of them, there's tutorials for damn near everything. EvenSplittercore. Also, practice practice practice. You don't have to work on a new project and release it. Just keep your brain going. Practice compressing, practice EQing. Make a BS project with some samples. That's the best way to go.

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-27 11:11:58

Wow. 12 years? And you STILL feel like a small fish. Jeez. I assumed that with so much experience like that, you'd eventually feel as if you were a real producer. I mean come on. 12 years.

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-27 11:14:33

At 7/27/14 03:13 AM, MegaMettaurX wrote:
I've been "Producing" since like 2006. mostly just bullshitting with the program, and made my first upload here in 2008. If you listened to my earliest track, and my latest track you can definitely hear the improvements. I know what the fuck I'm doing now. You'll get that way too. Best thing is to pay attention to what you hear in your favorite tracks. Watch tutorials (A ton of them, there's tutorials for damn near everything. EvenSplittercore. Also, practice practice practice. You don't have to work on a new project and release it. Just keep your brain going. Practice compressing, practice EQing. Make a BS project with some samples. That's the best way to go.

Yep! A lot times I just fuck around on the program. And everytime I do that, I notice small improvements. It's actually a really helpful method. But yeah! Practice makes almost perfect. I'm working on something now actually. But again, since my laptop battery is going bad, my compiuter is slow as hell. I'm trying to convince my dad to buy the 14 dollarbattery to replace it.

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-27 11:32:27

At 7/27/14 11:11 AM, Exilious wrote:
Wow. 12 years? And you STILL feel like a small fish. Jeez. I assumed that with so much experience like that, you'd eventually feel as if you were a real producer. I mean come on. 12 years.

Well, feeling like a small fish doesn't really mean you don't feel like a real producer.

And it's mostly a good thing.
That kind of mentality keeps you on your toes; keeps you growing.
An artist's worst enemy is being overly content with oneself , regardless of experience and years in the field.

I first started doing this thing about 5 years ago.
It's only in the last few months that I started having a bit of confidence in my work.
And yet, with every song I feel confident enough to post comes an uncomfortable state of mind in which I intensely contemplate how much better my material could be.

Statistically speaking, chances are there's always going to be someone bigger and better out there, so on many levels, feeling like a "big fish" has its share of pointlessness.

Best of luck with your music to you and whomever else is new to the gig!

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-27 12:21:42

At 7/27/14 11:32 AM, LunyAlex wrote:
At 7/27/14 11:11 AM, Exilious wrote:
Well, feeling like a small fish doesn't really mean you don't feel like a real producer.

And it's mostly a good thing.
That kind of mentality keeps you on your toes; keeps you growing.
An artist's worst enemy is being overly content with oneself , regardless of experience and years in the field.

I first started doing this thing about 5 years ago.
It's only in the last few months that I started having a bit of confidence in my work.
And yet, with every song I feel confident enough to post comes an uncomfortable state of mind in which I intensely contemplate how much better my material could be.

Statistically speaking, chances are there's always going to be someone bigger and better out there, so on many levels, feeling like a "big fish" has its share of pointlessness.

Best of luck with your music to you and whomever else is new to the gig!

I see where you're coming from. You really don't wanna be arrogant in an area such as this. That arrogance and ignorance could be your downfall. I feel confident enough when making something, but for the most I know I could do SO much better. But it's all a matter of getting there. I'm not that good YET. But I will be, someday.

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-30 17:54:52

I started using FL Studio many moons ago during my earlier pubescent teenage years. Since then I've grown from being a little shit into a somewhat musically confident little shit.
Still, I am nowhere near where I'd like to be in the future.
At the moment I'm recording drums in studio with my death metal band Asura, and once those lonely nights kick in I start fiddling around with my own electronic projects.

It's pretty fun having set camp in different musical areas. Keeps the fire lit.

Anyways, I guess I could share some of my stuff with you guys: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/576042

No shame in a little self-promotion, amirite?

I checked out some of your stuff too. It could be better in some aspects, but like any producer, it appears that you are still getting there. Which is a good thing, by the way.

I hope your musical endeavors eventually leads to success. Keep it up, buddy.

//Kabalist.

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-30 18:36:47

At 7/30/14 05:54 PM, Kabalist wrote: I started using FL Studio many moons ago during my earlier pubescent teenage years. Since then I've grown from being a little shit into a somewhat musically confident little shit.
Still, I am nowhere near where I'd like to be in the future.
At the moment I'm recording drums in studio with my death metal band Asura, and once those lonely nights kick in I start fiddling around with my own electronic projects.

It's pretty fun having set camp in different musical areas. Keeps the fire lit.

Anyways, I guess I could share some of my stuff with you guys: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/576042

No shame in a little self-promotion, amirite?

I checked out some of your stuff too. It could be better in some aspects, but like any producer, it appears that you are still getting there. Which is a good thing, by the way.

I hope your musical endeavors eventually leads to success. Keep it up, buddy.

//Kabalist.

Yeah, I'm only a teen myself, so I don't expect to be anywhere near good in the next few years. But it's all about the journey, right? And I appreciate you giving my music a listen! I listened to the song you put up and I must say, the beat is really catchy! I like the snare especially. I hope to be able to make something like that.

But, I'll just keep making stuff and practicing. Experimentation on FL Studio goes a long way in improvement. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-30 20:26:58

I'm in now way new when it comes to production, but in agreement to the above. After playing guitar for 10 years and producing for roughly 6-7 years, I'm definitely still sat at the bottom of the ladder.

But hey, we all have to start somewhere! Learn your terms, learn your production, what synth does what, how to make specific sounds, what frequencies instruments resonate at, mixing & mastering and so forth. There is a LOT to take in but once you learn your stuff, you begin to notice all these little nuances in normal songs that make you go "Shit, didn't even know that was there. SWEET"

What I'm saying is do it for the fun! You'll learn so much more and progress in totally new ways. Focus more on speakers rather than your laptop at the start as your ears are your tool when it comes to production, so if you have excellent speakers and can get a laptop with a decent CPU and reasonably sized hard drive for samples, you're balling. I'd also recommend a form of soundcard as HQ sound and low latency is a HUGE help!

If you ever need help or want to know anything, do feel free to drop me a PM or any of the guys above offering info. We're all happy to help :)

This is some of my recent work. It's probably not alongside the same genre's you want to work in, but in terms of production, I feel it's one of the hardest!

Gawd dammit sheesh

Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-31 16:34:48

Guess I'm still pretty fresh. Started out this January :D. I'm glad I started out uploading my music on newgrounds or else I probably would have stopped making music a long time ago. Now I got the most awesome fans in that world, And I think I've started to improve a bit :D. I love talking with and sharing knowledge with new producers, so hit me up if you're keen on doing that ;).

Just a random idiot

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-31 17:06:38

Started to compose 2.5 years ago and now i wanna become pro and study audio engineering - even i am a full educated lawyer ... thats life :D

PEOPLE: Be brave and do what you really want! Live your life and dont let it live yourself...

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-31 17:29:01

At 7/31/14 05:06 PM, SoundChris wrote: Started to compose 2.5 years ago and now i wanna become pro and study audio engineering - even i am a full educated lawyer ... thats life :D

PEOPLE: Be brave and do what you really want! Live your life and dont let it live yourself...

Hey, I'm currently in law school!

Legal Five!

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-31 17:44:29

At 7/31/14 05:29 PM, LunyAlex wrote:
At 7/31/14 05:06 PM, SoundChris wrote: Started to compose 2.5 years ago and now i wanna become pro and study audio engineering - even i am a full educated lawyer ... thats life :D

Hey, I'm currently in law school!

Legal Five!

The irony! As soon as I finish high school, I'm going into law!

LEGAL HIGH FIVE!

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-31 17:47:56

At 7/31/14 04:48 PM, KatMaestro wrote: Started about 15 years ago. Still struggling to compose good music. I guess my true self is only beginning this year. Never too late to be something you always dreamed about...

Still? Even after 15 years. Damn.

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-31 17:49:59

At 7/31/14 04:34 PM, Ectisity wrote: Guess I'm still pretty fresh. Started out this January :D. I'm glad I started out uploading my music on newgrounds or else I probably would have stopped making music a long time ago. Now I got the most awesome fans in that world, And I think I've started to improve a bit :D. I love talking with and sharing knowledge with new producers, so hit me up if you're keen on doing that ;).

I know exactly how you feel. Newgrounds has kept me alive in terms of making music. And I'll definitely hit you up! It's really nice to meet producer's who are just as new as me! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-31 17:54:49

Man - you can answer all messages within 1 single message :D :D

You just have to write @NAME and thats it!

Welcome to the lawyer club :D

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-07-31 17:57:09

At 7/31/14 05:54 PM, SoundChris wrote: Man - you can answer all messages within 1 single message :D :D

You just have to write @NAME and thats it!

Welcome to the lawyer club :D

It's great to be here! XD And good to know. Saves me an ass-load of time.

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-08-02 13:31:37

im new

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-08-02 22:32:14

Yup, I'm a new musician here on Newgrounds as well. I'm just here to try to get a good start since I like the vibe of this place. I play guitar and make instrumentals as well do a little voice acting too.

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-08-03 06:06:53

I've been producing for about 2 years. I started out with like...zero music theory knowledge. To give you an idea I failed music class at school for 7 years straight, because I made a decision when I was 5 that learning to play a tiny plastic flute was bullshit, and lo and behold by the time I was 12 it was still bullshit, and so I graduated primary school with no knowledge of tiny flutes. Then I had a semester of music class in grade 8, which expanded into drums, guitar and keyboard. I took a month to learn the basic boom-bap beat, broke all the strings the first time I strummed the guitar and after finding a fart preset on the school's keyboard I was banned from the keyboard.

So yeah when I finally got into producing music I made many many things I don't talk about anymore :T

Response to Any New Music Producer's Out There? 2014-08-03 06:56:14

@LunyAlex @SoundChris @Exilious I have solicitor's qualifications; so welcome to the legal club. ^_-

At any rate, let's put it this way, shall we? I'm sure some of you know Yoko Shimomura, the composer behind Legend of Mana and the Kingdom Hearts series, among other games.

In an interview I translated, it shows how unsure she can be, being seated by her desk creating music -- but the fans' enthusiasm and approval really bring joy to her. It's the same with us musicians -- however many fans we have, how big or small we are, we're bound to feel small, uncertain... it's the kind of struggle that every musician, heck, every tried and true artist, goes through.