00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted lok supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What's the point of femenism?

3,173 Views | 63 Replies

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 11:14:09

At 4/9/14 12:09 AM, MrWade wrote: I mean really, you think men are mistakes, and should have their dicks chopped off? If there were no men on earth, or anything that's male, every living species would go fuckin' extinct. Why do women think like that?

Some people are just too narrowminded to realize how insane their view of reality is.

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 12:35:18

I think the term you're looking for is 'straw feminist', not 'hardcore feminist'.

The point of straw feminism is for a group of dissatisfied people to find one simple and easy to identify demographic to use as a scapegoat, complain about things, make themselves heard, and console in each other when they face criticism.

The point of feminism is to shed light on social injustices based on gender, specifically injustices against women (hence the name), namely inequality in income, social expectations, and the healthcare industry.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 12:48:25

At 4/9/14 12:05 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 4/9/14 12:09 AM, MrWade wrote: I mean really, you think men are mistakes, and should have their dicks chopped off? If there were no men on earth, or anything that's male, every living species would go fuckin' extinct. Why do women think like that?
You watched TheAmazingAtheist lately? Ya I love that video. One of old golden videos by TJ.

That dude is retarded. And I like all the other Atheist youtubers. Except the one hot chick who is just a super whiny liberal bitch about everything. I'd still fuck her though.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 12:51:51

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 14:39:25

To rid the world of masculinity.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 17:19:46

You're willfully characterizing a far-reaching and complex social movement that's existed for half a century based solely on your impressions of a handful of misguided teenage Tumblr posters because you know that doing so will give you an avenue to loudly express your preexisting and thinly coded prejudices against women.

I never said anything against women here, but okay.

ButtCheeks.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 17:21:08

itt: people who think all feminists are anita sarkeesian

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 17:37:34

At 4/9/14 05:19 PM, MrWade wrote: I never said anything against women here, but okay.

Key words: "thinly coded."

But that's practically beside the point considering the last sentence of your original post literally says "Why do women think like that?"

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 17:43:56

It's basically a bunch of lesbos butthurt cuz they don't have penises. Real women want to get spanked and have their hair pulled and put in their place duh, they just don't tell you that because you're a nerd and they want a real man like me to do it.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 18:16:21

At 4/9/14 12:09 AM, MrWade wrote: I mean really, you think men are mistakes, and should have their dicks chopped off?

I really think you're missing the point. The feminists who think those evil thoughts are called a extremist. Regular feminists want equality, and not to be treated differently because of their gender.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 18:54:35

At 4/9/14 09:35 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Hahahaha what a dork.

I can't take you seriously if you use unironically.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 18:56:14

At 4/9/14 06:54 PM, irishiweredrunk wrote:
At 4/9/14 09:35 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Hahahaha what a dork.
I can't take you seriously if you use unironically.

if you use "dork" unironically.*

My fuckup, just woke up.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 22:38:17

At 4/9/14 08:05 AM, irishiweredrunk wrote: There's a sect of radical Tumblr femenism out there that actually believes this. You're ignorant if you don't believe that there are legitimate unsympathetic assholes out there in the Femenist community.

Learn to read. Asshat.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-09 22:42:28

That's called Misandry, not feminism. Though many militant feminists are Misandrists.

fuk

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 11:40:36

At 4/9/14 10:38 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 4/9/14 08:05 AM, irishiweredrunk wrote: There's a sect of radical Tumblr femenism out there that actually believes this. You're ignorant if you don't believe that there are legitimate unsympathetic assholes out there in the Femenist community.
Learn to read. Asshat.

Batting away my arguments? Not actually replying to them?

Learn to read, Asshat.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 11:50:38

The point of femenism is to ruin gaming for us men folk.

Thanks Anita.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 11:59:36

At 4/10/14 11:40 AM, irishiweredrunk wrote:
At 4/9/14 10:38 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
Learn to read. Asshat.
Batting away my arguments? Not actually replying to them?

Learn to read, Asshat.

Thanks for teaching us that there are extremists in every movement, douchewad. We really needed you to learn that.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 12:45:41

I always love the question "What is feminism?" that follows up with misconceptions about it in order to dismiss its relevance. Here's what feminism is not:
- Exclusively women
- Lesbians
- Hypocritical
- About women being above men

Feminism is a socialand political movement that seeks to advocate for reforming our culture to improve the respect for females and femininity. It's about recognizing that we may make assumptions based on our privilege in society. For instance: as a straight, white, tall, good-looking, young, able-bodied, American cis male; my experience in our society cannot be held up as evidence of society's equality because I haven't been denied opportunities. I am privileged for all of these identifiers about myself. This is unequivocally true: nobody would argue that my life would be easier if I were gay, not-white, short, ugly, old, disabled, foreign, or of a different gender or sex (gender and sex are not the same thing).

Social sciences have statistics to back this up for every conceivable social interaction, but everybody knows this anyway. That's not to say that any of these identifiers areinherently worse than any others, just that no person exists in a vacuum and negative social stigmas crop up when you aren't a member of the privileged class.

So, what does feminism seek to do? It seeks to call attention to these social inequities in order to get people to consider the privileges they are afforded that others may not have and treat them with an according level of respect in order to bridge the gap. It recognizes that social conditioning is vastly important to the outcome of one's life. That historical circumstances are important to understanding the treatment of members of our society.

For instance, why are blacks incarcerated at a rate higher than that of whites? Is it because blacks are inherently more law-breaking than whites? Or is it because our country tolerated institutionalized racism for the better part of 200 years of its history, and still hasn't recovered from the social effects of stigmatizing black youth? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-v2n62C9k] Watch this youtube video for an example of how social norms shape public reaction to crime as perpetrated by different members of society.

So, putting it all together before I get off track, feminism is the general term for challenging these assumptions. Feminists will tend to focus on women being marginalized first and foremost, because women are the largest social minority on earth (despite being 51% of the population). But they are natural allies to other equality movements because empathy is a cornerstone of femininity, but more importantly because equality is a cornerstone of feminism.

Feminism seeks to challenge assumptions like "a man should provide for his family". What if there is no man in the family, who provides for them? What if the family falls outside the traditional definition of family, and why should that group not be provided for? What provisions 'should' be provided? Why is this the social standard when there are other workable ways to do things that don't necessarily glorify the role of men nor marginalize the role of women?

---

Maybe later I'll go through the topic response by response and correct some misconceptions directly, but I think this should suffice for now. Feel free to ask questions.

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 13:03:06

At 4/10/14 12:45 PM, Evark wrote: Maybe later I'll go through the topic response by response and correct some misconceptions directly, but I think this should suffice for now. Feel free to ask questions.

well, i'm genuinely curious about who are some trustworthy and recommended names that have contributed to the betterment of equality or social justice causes? i ask because i feel the need to counter the voices that i hear from people like anita sarkeesian, valerie solanas and suey park whom i think have done more harm to the public relations and overall image of feminism.

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 14:23:20

At 4/10/14 12:45 PM, Evark wrote: Watch this youtube video for an example of how social norms shape public reaction to crime as perpetrated by different members of society.

Well damn, I never thought about it that way, but you can totally steal anything in broad daylight if you have a friend with a camera nearby to pretend like you're running a social experiment for a news program.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 21:43:50

At 4/10/14 11:59 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Thanks for teaching us that there are extremists in every movement, douchewad. We really needed you to learn that.

Did you even read AOF? These jackfucks make their extremism the norm.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 22:08:22

At 4/10/14 11:50 AM, Darthdenim wrote: The point of femenism is to ruin gaming for us men folk.

Thanks Anita.

Oh oh oh and the best part.

"I don't like video games." - The bitch herself.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 22:33:28

At 4/9/14 03:17 AM, HeavenDick wrote:
It is not subject to debate, you fucktard. Your total lack of understanding of political and historical facts speaks for itself. I don't even need to prove you wrong, you can do it all by yourself.

Can you be be a cunt somewhere else?

Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 22:47:50

Hmm, I'm a feminist and I think you may have misunderstood. Feminism is about wanting equal rights and representation for everyone. Don't get me wrong. Every group has extremists that are frowned at and generally disapproved off. Christians have the Westboro Baptist Church and Atheists have the AmazingAtheist.

You shouldn't generalize an entire group of people. It's bad for society and tends to create conflict between parties. I don't know any extremist feminist, but I know that a lot of women are frustrated at being ignored or having their opinions and contributions ignored because of their female identity. In college, I read an article about a transgender scientist who was only taken seriously when no one knew he's original sex was female. I can't find the original but here's a Washington Post link http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/12/AR2006071201883.html.

Actually, recently scientists have been developing a way to make "sperm" from bone marrow. Some day lesbian couples will be able to reproduce without a male partner or sperm donations. It's very exciting!

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-10 22:57:35

At 4/10/14 09:43 PM, irishiweredrunk wrote:
At 4/10/14 11:59 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Thanks for teaching us that there are extremists in every movement, douchewad. We really needed you to learn that.
Did you even read AOF? These jackfucks make their extremism the norm.

Start by learning stuff about feminist theory and feminist movements. Not just the crap that FOX News says about them.

Start by reading some Nancy Fraser, Judith Butler, Chandra Talpade Mohanty, Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, Patricia Hill Collins, Danièle Kergoat, Sandra Harding, Dorothy Smith, Georgina Waylen, or seriously just about anything produced by actual feminists. And just please stop thinking that because you saw topless women screaming about patriarchy on tv, that you know what feminism is.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-11 08:11:04

At 4/10/14 10:57 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 4/10/14 09:43 PM, irishiweredrunk wrote:
At 4/10/14 11:59 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
Start by learning stuff about feminist theory and feminist movements. Not just the crap that FOX News says about them.

Strawmen.

Start by reading some Nancy Fraser, Judith Butler, Chandra Talpade Mohanty, Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, Patricia Hill Collins, Danièle Kergoat, Sandra Harding, Dorothy Smith, Georgina Waylen, or seriously just about anything produced by actual feminists. And just please stop thinking that because you saw topless women screaming about patriarchy on tv, that you know what feminism is.

I've spent more time reading these names than I will spend reading stuff that actually intrests me and I'm telling you that these extremists are corrupting the milder ones.

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-12 00:44:24

At 4/11/14 08:11 AM, irishiweredrunk wrote: I've spent more time reading these names than I will spend reading stuff that actually intrests me and I'm telling you that these extremists are corrupting the milder ones.

Butler, Mohanty and Fraser... extremists.... Wow...

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-12 01:43:42

At 4/10/14 10:08 PM, irishiweredrunk wrote:
Thanks Anita.
"I don't like video games." - The bitch herself.

Not liking video games is the first sign that the bitch is crazy.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-12 03:09:43

At 4/10/14 12:45 PM, Evark wrote: excellent primer on what feminism is and isn't

Wow, thank you. Fantastic post, and apparently a desperately needed one at that. A lot of people on here seem to be profoundly misinformed about what feminism is and what it works against, and it would do them well to read your post and learn from it.

Seriously, I get into these sorts of arguments with people on here all the time and I always struggle to describe these issues succinctly, but you've done a great job of it.

At 4/10/14 01:03 PM, Natick wrote: well, i'm genuinely curious about who are some trustworthy and recommended names that have contributed to the betterment of equality or social justice causes? i ask because i feel the need to counter the voices that i hear from people like anita sarkeesian, valerie solanas and suey park whom i think have done more harm to the public relations and overall image of feminism.

Admittedly I've only seen her first couple videos, but I don't get what the big deal is about Anita Sarkeesian. What could she possibly have said or done that's so offensive? If anything what I saw seemed overly broad and I felt like she could have pushed even harder and gone even further. Plus her lack of a background in games crit is pretty evident and might be a detriment to what she's trying to do considering the videos seem to be all about general narrative tropes instead of getting into issues that are specific to games (and there are lots). But all this is cause for mild disappointment at worst. The kind of widespread frothing rage that makes fanboys unable to so much as utter her name without hurling crude gendered insults along with it just baffles me.

Anyway, as for recommendations, @HeavenDuff seems to be much better informed about this stuff than I am so first I'd take a look at some of the people he's listed, though I do have a teensy bit of experience with reading feminist theorists and critics through the field of feminist film theory (natch), so I guess I'll add a couple names. Molly Haskell and Laura Mulvey might be a little dated by now but they did pioneering work that's still very important (especially Mulvey; if I'm not mistaken she coined the term "male gaze"), and since then there have been lots of other really interesting feminist film writers like Mary Ann Doane, Linda Williams and Gaylyn Studlar. I'm kind of embarrassed not to know more about this subject off the top of my head, but yeah.

In terms of more popular, accessible media criticism though, there a bunch of current critics I really like who don't exclusively write about feminist issues but do bring them up pretty often. For TV, Emily Nussbaum and Alyssa Rosenberg have been writing some excellent counterpoints to the masculinist antihero worship that dominates much of the present conversation about "prestige" television. For video games, Leigh Alexander and Mattie Brice are both fantastic writers.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to What's the point of femenism? 2014-04-12 19:58:50

Getting butthurt on tumblr.