00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dragon Ball Storyline Changes

10,817 Views | 220 Replies

Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-06 14:37:33

If you could make permanent changes to the Dragon Ball manga, what would you do? I wrote an in depth list of changes that could and should be made to the Dragon Ball storyline, but unfortunately, the site said that it broke the character limit, so I couldn't post it, I tried a shit ton of other forums and they all said it was too much, so I instead decided to ask what any of you think should be changed...

These are some of the more important ones that I thought of

More fan service of Bulma, Huh Huh Huh (cue NC M. Bison joke in 3,2,1...)

Begin the story with an in depth saga focusing on the Saiyans and Freeza (I think we would all like to see more of that)

Have Son Goku face a gang of Bear thieves (instead of just one Bear thief)

Have Monster Carrot's powers be something he can control at will instead of it being like Rogue's powers

Have the Kame-Sennin training take a whole year, instead of 8 months, when you think about it, this is a huge plothole, since the Red Ribbon Army saga starts right after the end of the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, then the Dragonballs should still be ordinary stones...

Have Jackie Chun cut off Son Goku's tail with a sharp ki attack instead of blowing up the moon

Have Son Goku win both of the first two tournaments (like he should have)

Have an alternate defeat of the Pirate Robot, where Son Goku And Kuririn both launch Kamehameha waves at it and destroy it, which ends with their two waves clashing (foreshadowing their fight at the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai)

Son Goku fighting Jinzoningens 1-7 at the RR base (for what they should look like, see the picture below) and also add a scene showing Dr. Gero's first appearance and another with him fleeing the base and swearing revenge upon Son Goku (foreshadowing the Jinzoningen Saga)

Have Chaozu more successfully try to wish away Piccolo Daimao with the Dragonballs, have him use the Taiyo-Ken to blind Piccolo Daimao, then bind him with his Telekinesis, then have him ALMOST say the entire wish (as close as when Son Goku tried to say I AM THE CHAMPION), but have Piano (Or Pilaf) blow up Chaozu with a rocket launcher (I know, I know, you can say it, I'm a dick)

Have Cyborg Taopaipai illegally attack Tenshinhan during the preliminaries and have Tenshinhan still win, and have a different fighter lose to Shen (Kami) in one of the final preliminary matches, and have Chichi show up after Son Goku Defeats Piccolo Jr., so that the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai roster looks like this

Tenshinhan Vs. Chaozu
Son Goku Vs. Yajirobe
Kuririn Vs. Ma-Junior
Shen Vs. Yamucha

Also Have The Z fighters be more useful in general in volumes 17-42 (re-titled Dragon Ball "Z" in America, I hate viz America for doing that, do they think that we're too fucking stupid to figure it out ourselves)

Have Chichi train and participate in the fight against the Saiyans and the in the trip to Namek

Make Dodoria, Zarbon, Freeza, Cooler, And King Cold Females

Have Vegeta, Son Gohan, Kuririn, And Chichi beat the Ginyu Force, except for Captain Ginyu, who Son Goku will still fight

Adapt all of the movie sagas into the manga (with the inconsistencies removed of course)

Have Jinzoningen 17 And 18 also awaken Jinzoningens 9,10,11,12,13,14, and 15 (instead of just 16)

Changes the wait for the Cell Games from 10 Days to 2 Weeks

Have The Z fighters defeat the Cell Juniors

Have Piccolo, Vegeta, And Trunks also try to fight Perfect Cell at the Cell Games

Have Super Perfect Cell Not Kill Mirai Trunks

Have the Z fighters and a few pockets of humanity survive the whole Boo ordeal and manage to escape the Earth in a giant spaceship when Kid Boo blows it up (instead of all of them being turned into candy and eaten by him)

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-06 15:26:22

I forgot to also put this in here

Also show scenes of Son Goku's childhood leading up to the fateful night that he killed his adoptive Grandfather

Also have Lunch still appear in later sagas (instead of her last appearance being the Piccolo Jr. Saga)

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-06 15:30:45

dont mind me, just a canadian post just passing though

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-06 17:06:47

I would make goku fight superman

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-06 17:08:49

Dragon Ball should've stopped before Z series.

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-06 20:21:24

Get rid of Dragonball Z and GT

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 01:47:49

At 7/6/13 08:21 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Get rid of Dragonball Z and GT

GT wasn't in the manga, and volumes 17-42 aren't that bad, I think with the changes that I made, the entire story could be a lot better.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 01:57:10

Makakaov: Dragon Ball should've stopped before Z series.

Woah woah woah. I definitely agree that GT wasn't that great, but Z was definitely a positive addition to the series.

Does anybody even read these?

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 02:07:28

At 7/7/13 01:57 AM, Twistedsanta wrote:
Makakaov: Dragon Ball should've stopped before Z series.
Woah woah woah. I definitely agree that GT wasn't that great, but Z was definitely a positive addition to the series.

Are you guys not even fucking listening? I said the Dragon Ball Manga, the original Japanese manga was Dragon Ball from Emperor Pilaf to Kid Boo, volumes 17-42 should definitely not be erased, they should just be changed so that the fights are more creative and the other z fighters don't suck total ass.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 02:11:19

Mr.satan not winning any tournies

have ultimate gohen be as good as teen gohen ssj2

pan being able to go ssj

more female Z-warriors.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 02:14:47

At 7/7/13 01:57 AM, Twistedsanta wrote: Woah woah woah. I definitely agree that GT wasn't that great, but Z was definitely a positive addition to the series.

Z was okay, but wasn't about the adventure, like DB was. They totally changed character dynamics to make Goku the one and only and there was no point for any other characters. It became more about explosions and aliens, than an endearing interesting adventure story.

Each character was unique and mattered to the story. Goku was the focus of course, but Master Roshi, Krillen and Bulma were integral to the story. In Z it's like, "Ok, Saiyans...who gives a fuck about anything else"

And there was no comedy in Z

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 02:24:57

At 7/7/13 02:11 AM, tsukikomi wrote:
Mr.satan not winning any tournies

Maybe, but he gives us all so much comic relief...

have ultimate gohen be as good as teen gohen ssj2

I was thinking of having all of the z fighters perpetually train in the time periods in which they don't know about impending threats (the 5 years in between the 23rd BT and Raditz's arrival, the 2 years in between Son Goku defeating Freeza and Mecha Freeza's arrival on Earth, and the 7 years between the end of the Cell Games and the whole Majin Boo ordeal

pan being able to go ssj

sure. why not, I was thinking of having Bra capable of doing that as well

more female Z-warriors.

If you read my first post, you would see that I would have Chichi fight in the Saiyan And Namek sagas and I would change Dodoria, Zarbon, Freeza, Cooler, And King Cold to females (to have more strong female villains), I think I would also have Videl win against Spopovich

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 03:12:29

All I'd want is for Launch to be in the Z series so there would be more perverted Roshi moments. There weren't enough of those in Z.

Also for the Z fighters to suck less ass, but we all want that.

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 03:44:17

At 7/7/13 03:22 AM, Cootie wrote: 90% of the changes you suggested would make the series even more long winded then it already is.

first of all, i'm talking about the manga, the anime doesn't have this shit...

- super long power ups that sound like they're constipated (Son Goku And Vegeta's first SSJ transformations were
-super long landscape pans
-ridiculous amounts of trash talk that's worse than the WWE
- 5 billion shots showing the other characters clenching their fists and looking worried

and second of all, what is the 90 percent that you think wouldn't work, which I think would work if the anime stayed true to the manga's much quicker pace, and what is the 10 percent that you think is okay?

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 03:45:34

first of all, i'm talking about the manga, the manga doesn't have this shit...

sorry, I meant that the manga doesn't have this shit

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 03:47:00

sorry, I fucked up again, but you guys keep talking about the anime, i'm talking about the manga

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 07:09:12

At 7/7/13 03:12 AM, koopahermit wrote: All I'd want is for Launch to be in the Z series so there would be more perverted Roshi moments. There weren't enough of those in Z.

Also for the Z fighters to suck less ass, but we all want that.

I was also thinking of there being more Buruma naked moments, I was also writing a new version of Tenshinhan's fight with Nappa, with it ending with Tenshinhan successfully killing him with the Shin Kikoho.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 09:30:36

Z was okay, but wasn't about the adventure, like DB was. They totally changed character dynamics to make Goku the one and only and there was no point for any other characters. It became more about explosions and aliens, than an endearing interesting adventure story.

You have a valid point about it going through a big change from Adventure to Action in the later Dragon Ball volumes and Son Goku being the only important character later on as well, but I thought the change of story style was was fine, but the changes where they made all of the other Z-Fighters unnecessary was stupid and just a giant slap in the face to them

Each character was unique and mattered to the story. Goku was the focus of course, but Master Roshi, Krillen and Bulma were integral to the story. In Z it's like, "Ok, Saiyans...who gives a fuck about anything else"

you're right of course, they certainly made them not that important in the later dragon ball volumes.

there was comedy in the later volumes, just not as much.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 09:36:52

You have a valid point about it going through a big change from Adventure to Action in the later Dragon Ball volumes and Son Goku being the only important character later on as well, but I thought the change of story style was was fine, but the changes where they made all of the other Z-Fighters unnecessary was stupid and just a giant slap in the face to them

you're right of course, they certainly made them not that important in the later dragon ball volumes.

there was comedy in the later volumes, just not as much.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 09:38:21

Sorry, I accidentally double posted...

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 12:23:03

I thought you guys might enjoy this little bit of info as well :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_Z_Kai_episo des#Season_5:_Majin_Buu_Saga_.282013.29

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 16:40:46

At 7/7/13 12:30 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: I would make it so it revolved around a guy with a sword cutting the testicles off a bunch of dragons.

That would be total hilarity, but would probably never fucking happen in a million years unfortunately...

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 17:12:18

goku has a md private practice and vegeta serves as a proctologist . and they both answer questions on the internet.
and paris hilton is the president of the earth (liberal's heaven)

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-07 17:13:41

In the Majin Buu saga, just as Buu hatches from his egg, Goku has to go back to Other World early because fuck you, leaving the Z Fighters to defeat Buu. After some 20 episodes of everyone getting their asses kicked, training and reaching new power levels just to get their asses kicked again, Tenshinhan shows up and obliterates Buu with a Giga-Tri Beam.

Instead of everything that happened in GT, following the Buu saga, Goku comes back to life because fuck you. Then some sexy Saiyan bitch comes to tell Goku that the saiyan race is not extinct, and that she wants him and Vegeta to come with her to the saiyan refugee planet to help rebuild and repopulate. Goku and Vegeta are all like "No way we have families on earth. You saiyans can go find some humans to repopulate with." She gets pissed and calls up her posse (who each have power levels of over a gorillion) to blow up the earth. Vegeta and Goku enter an advanced stage of one of those irrelevant Super Saiyan forms from the Android saga to beat saiyan bitch's posse. Then saiyan bitch falls in love with Hercule/Mr. Satan and all is well.

Also people would fucking use the dragonballs more often.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-08 00:37:41

At 7/7/13 05:13 PM, Chdonga wrote: In the Majin Buu saga, just as Buu hatches from his egg, Goku has to go back to Other World early because fuck you, leaving the Z Fighters to defeat Buu. After some 20 episodes of everyone getting their asses kicked, training and reaching new power levels just to get their asses kicked again, Tenshinhan shows up and obliterates Buu with a Giga-Tri Beam.

Then some sexy Saiyan bitch comes to tell Goku that the saiyan race is not extinct, and that she wants him and Vegeta to come with her to the saiyan refugee planet to help rebuild and repopulate.

You have some good ideas, like having the other z-fighters beat Kid Boo would be good and a reappearance by the Saiyans would be kick ass...

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-08 00:47:40

Seriously, the whole payoff to him finally winning wouldn't have been anywhere as satisfying, it was an essential driving force to the show.

I never saw any payoff, I've always wanted to throw the book (dvd) out of a fucking window whenever I've read (watched) those parts of Dragon Ball, Muten Roshi's reason for beating Son Goku, although noble, was completely unneeded since this is Son Goku after all, and Tenshinhan was still an asshole at this point in the story, so I REALLY DIDN'T want to see him win after what he did to Yamucha and Namu (and countless possible others).

God this motherfucker has it right

Yeah, that's the whole point of this thread, is what changes should be made to the Dragon Ball storyline to make it better, but you guys seem to be more interested in stating the obvious instead of putting up your own suggestions.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-08 01:20:15

At 7/7/13 03:44 AM, supermofo wrote:
At 7/7/13 03:22 AM, Cootie wrote: 90% of the changes you suggested would make the series even more long winded then it already is.
first of all, i'm talking about the manga, the anime doesn't have this shit...

- super long power ups that sound like they're constipated (Son Goku And Vegeta's first SSJ transformations were
-super long landscape pans
-ridiculous amounts of trash talk that's worse than the WWE
- 5 billion shots showing the other characters clenching their fists and looking worried

That's...actually a fairly accurate portrayal of the show. Honestly though, the minute shit you change seems a bit trivial in the long run (most of it). If we wanted a do over for the Z sagas it would definitely be that the Z warriors weren't useless as all fucking get out and have it all about power levels and getting to that next SSJ/Fusion whatever the fuck.

It wouldn't kill them to have a few checks and balances rather than them constantly getting stronger with their enemies in a linear fashion.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-08 01:25:07

Nullify the idea of blowing up fucking planets. Op characters are the worst. Just look at Superman, having a character that can do anything isn't cool, it's fucking stupid.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-08 01:58:22

That's...actually a fairly accurate portrayal of the show. Honestly though, the minute shit you change seems a bit trivial in the long run (most of it). If we wanted a do over for the Z sagas it would definitely be that the Z warriors weren't useless as all fucking get out and have it all about power levels and getting to that next SSJ/Fusion whatever the fuck.

It wouldn't kill them to have a few checks and balances rather than them constantly getting stronger with their enemies in a linear fashion.

First of all, I fucked up, I meant the manga, the manga doesn't have all of the bullshit that I described, and I'm referring to the manga for changes that I would make, not the anime, and one of the changes that I couldn't stress enough is making the other Z-Fighters more useful, but I was never really bothered by the whole power level thing and the "I can blow up planets" thing.

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon Ball Storyline Changes 2013-07-08 02:00:23

At 7/8/13 01:25 AM, sweet21 wrote: having a character that can do anything isn't cool, it's fucking stupid.

So you want the story to be couch potato Dragon Ball?

GABRIEL CASTLEBERRY

BBS Signature