Be a Supporter!

Anti-Hipsters needs to stop

  • 2,513 Views
  • 102 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Havegum
Havegum
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 25th, 2013 @ 10:10 PM Reply

[Repost if you are a highly individual person who don't need no trends]


BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Writer
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 25th, 2013 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 3/25/13 10:06 PM, bigbadron wrote:
At 3/25/13 09:54 PM, Suprememessage wrote: As for your second point, the problem is that if you share traits with a hipster you probably are one.

You know the whole, looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck saying.
that means ANYONE who listens to indie music, or uses Instagram, or has tattoos, or drinks coffee from a place that roasts it's own beans, or drinks cheap beer, is probably a hipster.

i don't know, sounds kinda dumb to me.

I tend not to group people as Hipsters, I only recognize people as Hipsters if they self-identify as one. I'm merely stating that I think that if they fit the description, it would be fair to call them Hipsters.

Generally I try to ignore it, more then actively work against them.


Member of Alpha Team in the WNG. Find out how to join here.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 25th, 2013 @ 10:20 PM Reply

At 3/25/13 10:17 PM, Suprememessage wrote: Generally I try to ignore it, more then actively work against them.

As do I, this is the first time I've said anything about hipsters in a long time


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
I'm bringing back profile porn, so go look at it and fap and stuff

BBS Signature
BloodCoveredWolf
BloodCoveredWolf
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 03:13 AM Reply

Making dumb shit cool is fucking dumb. All the hipsters are like don't hate on my swag bitch I hot better things to worry about instead of trying to make myself all cool and think of the next slut to fuck. My God this generation is fucking sucks


The Blood Of Lost Souls Stains My Blade

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 03:32 AM Reply

At 3/25/13 06:07 PM, thatkidkenji wrote: This sudden anti-hipsterism is getting old.

This, I agree with.

Really, it's just dormant jealousy.
You wish you could be the one who makes uncool things cool.
But you lack the charisma to pull it off, so who hate on those who do.
Terrible!

This, not so much. That jealousy argument is the kind of shit Paris Hilton uses all the time. There is actually a lot of good reasons why an individual would criticize another. You can't just say it's jealousy.

superdan123
superdan123
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 03:36 AM Reply

At 3/25/13 06:07 PM, thatkidkenji wrote: This sudden anti-hipsterism is getting old.
Really, it's just dormant jealousy.
You wish you could be the one who makes uncool things cool.
But you lack the charisma to pull it off, so who hate on those who do.
Terrible!

I personally think that both should die off because there's no point in either of them at all.


BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 03:44 AM Reply

i'm anti-hip


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 07:30 AM Reply

What a pointless thing to argue about.

NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 10:32 AM Reply

I'll stop hating them as soon as they stop trying to bring back dumb outdated technologies.


BBS Signature
Nickisabi
Nickisabi
  • Member since: Aug. 17, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 12:11 PM Reply

I can't stand it when people call me a hipster. I don't listen to any new music even though my generation is immersed in the shit. I listen to everything old and they'll call me a hipster for it. I'm just an audiophile. Buying collector vinyl is hell when I'm at Hastings because people look down on me for it.


If you disagree with my opinion, you're wrong. I'm sorry you have to hear that...

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 12:17 PM Reply

At 3/25/13 10:17 PM, Suprememessage wrote: I'm merely stating that I think that if they fit the description, it would be fair to call them Hipsters.

I don't think it's fair to give people labels unless they're already the type to label themselves (which is annoying). I have friends that play video games and D&D that wouldn't appreciate being called nerds.

Very few people fit perfectly into stereotypes and a lot of people get offended when they're assumed to be one.

kazumazkan
kazumazkan
  • Member since: Nov. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 01:58 PM Reply

fuck of hipster


"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?
was her name tenneassi
omtish

BBS Signature
Dawcio510
Dawcio510
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 3/25/13 06:09 PM, PotHeadParadise wrote: haha bro i prefer the hipsters back in the 80s man at least they werent so cock mocky because they spent so much money to the cool bag in the street

I would grab my machete and fuck up every of those while they walk at me on the street don't caring about the cops.


"I fapped to this topic."
- Razeroath.

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 03:35 PM Reply

I'm so anti hipster I was an anti hipster after it was cool.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 03:44 PM Reply

At 3/26/13 12:11 PM, SpankyG wrote: I can't stand it when people call me a hipster. I don't listen to any new music even though my generation is immersed in the shit. I listen to everything old and they'll call me a hipster for it. I'm just an audiophile. Buying collector vinyl is hell when I'm at Hastings because people look down on me for it.

2012
Elsiane - Mechanics of emotions
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend Ascend
If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
Leeches Of Lore - Frenzy, Ecstasy
Xibalba - Hasta La Muerte

2011
The Caretaker - An empty bliss beyond this World
Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
Scale The Summit - The Collective
Sunn O))) Meets Nurse with Wound - The Iron Soul of Nothing
Cynic - Carbon-Based Anatomy
Mastodon - The Hunter
Benighted - Asylum Cave
Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance
Beyond Creation - The Aura
Blood Red Throne - Brutalitarian Regime
Blotted Science - The Animation Of Entomology
Morn - Asylum
Nader Sadek - In The Flesh

2010
Agalloch - Marrow Of The Spirit
Sigh - Scenes From Hell
Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom
Ihsahn - After
Kvelertak - Kvelertak
Lantlos - .neon
Kalmah - 12 Gauge

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. You just sound like these people who just don't know where to look. If the stuff that plays on the radio sucks, it surely doesn't mean that everything released nowadays is bad. It's quite the contrary, actually.

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 3/26/13 03:44 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend Ascend
Sunn O))) Meets Nurse with Wound - The Iron Soul of Nothing
Mastodon - The Hunter
Blotted Science - The Animation Of Entomology
Agalloch - Marrow Of The Spirit
Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom
Kvelertak - Kvelertak

Out of everything you mentioned I like these the most.
Though I find your lack of Les Discrets - Septembre et des Dernieres Pensees disturbing ._.


Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
372
372
  • Member since: Jul. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 04:07 PM Reply

At 3/25/13 09:56 PM, bigbadron wrote:
At 3/25/13 09:52 PM, Xenomit wrote: Shutter shades are the club and party culture, not hipster culture
they were. then they got mainstream.

I don't think that's accurate at all. I have friends who dress like each one of those and they don't act very hipster...

wannabeflyboy
wannabeflyboy
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 04:12 PM Reply

At 3/25/13 06:07 PM, thatkidkenji wrote: This sudden anti-hipsterism is getting old.
Really, it's just dormant jealousy.
You wish you could be the one who makes uncool things cool.
But you lack the charisma to pull it off, so who hate on those who do.
Terrible!

most of the so called hipsters i know are wannabes and they piss me off i have not met a true hipster in my life if i did i would point out all the wannabes for him or her to kill.


resistance will be met bullet will be met with a bullet a clip will be met with a granade

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 05:12 PM Reply

At 3/26/13 03:54 PM, Viper50 wrote: Out of everything you mentioned I like these the most.
Though I find your lack of Les Discrets - Septembre et des Dernieres Pensees disturbing ._.

You still got my point >:(

Boss
Boss
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 05:16 PM Reply

all labelle d fiends are posing a something


I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 05:37 PM Reply

At 3/25/13 06:07 PM, thatkidkenji wrote: This sudden anti-hipsterism is getting old.

Hipsters aren't anything new, so neither is hipster hatred.

Really, it's just dormant jealousy.

Could be. Or maybe people just aren't impressed with others who wear "clever" T-shirts and act like ironic anti-heroes.

You wish you could be the one who makes uncool things cool.

Hipsters annoy me because they try to be condescending. They use words like "sheep" to describe other people at their community college, and since they are taking a sociology class, they suddenly think they are really deep and sensitive.

But you lack the charisma to pull it off, so who hate on those who do.

Charisma is subjective. Just because people don't laugh at your jokes doesn't mean they don't understand them. The jokes aren't funny. Just because people don't like your music doesn't make it art, and it doesn't mean the rest of the world "doesn't understand". We aren't all going to be tattooed with barcodes, and made to wear uniforms because we like a mainstream song. Hipsters need to chill out with that "down with the system" mentality. You're lucky you get any rights at all you spoiled hermit.

Terrible!

Things hipsters could do to gain respect:

Number 1: Stop reminding us of how cool you think you are just because you bought some sunglasses with clear lens. That's real fuckin' effective... NOT!

Number 2: Stop trying to be so ironically clever and funny. Not everything has to be a joke. Oh, and stop laughing at your own jokes too.

Number 3: Stop being a music snob. Just because you're a fan of a band who has 2 fans doesn't make it the best band ever.

Number 4: Stop being a movie snob. Just because the movie is 3 minutes long, in black and white, and doesn't make sense doesn't mean you're super cool for "getting it".

Number 5: Stop being a general douche-bag. If you're going to go out in public with your hair dyed all the colors of the rainbow, with huge holes in your ears, we aren't going to talk to you. It's just the way it is. But this mentality of yours that the world "doesn't understand" and is "bleak" is a direct result of you purposely acting like a weirdo. It's not like you ever strike up a conversation with the rest of us. Are we supposed to understand your plight when you never say two fucking words to anyone?

There are other things I could say, but I have to take a piss.

Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 3/25/13 06:07 PM, thatkidkenji wrote: This sudden anti-hipsterism is getting old.
Really, it's just dormant jealousy.
You wish you could be the one who makes uncool things cool.
But you lack the charisma to pull it off, so who hate on those who do.
Terrible!

Hipsters don't create cool. They consume it.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 08:03 PM Reply

Ironically, all hipsters hate hipsters.

Therefore, if you complain about it, YOU BECOME IT.

That being said, as a huge fat guy with stupid hair, I love ironically pedaling my stolen girl bike 10-speed through Cooper Young and Midtown (hipster central in Memphis) and spooking the bajayzus out of those fuckers. Skinny girl pants wearing bastards never see my fat jack booted ass coming.

The only way to stop the hipster is to embrace the hipster. Dilute the movement with drab plebes, and it will end. Such is the Way of the Fad.


My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Member since: Apr. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 08:09 PM Reply

On the one hand, I agree in that I really don't like the anti-intellectual bent that "anti-hipsterism" often takes on. Automatically writing off activities and cultural works that are weird or esoteric or just fall outside the mainstream as "pretentious" and dismissing anyone who likes those things as a "hipster" just belies a total lack of curiosity and open-mindedness.

On the other hand, the detached, ironic attitude of actual hipsters can be pretty horrible, too, in that it fosters an environment where it's no longer cool to sincerely enjoy anything.

Really, I'd prefer it if people didn't put stupid pop-cultural labels on themselves and just liked the shit they liked.


NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 3/26/13 08:09 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: On the one hand, I agree in that I really don't like the anti-intellectual bent that "anti-hipsterism" often takes on. Automatically writing off activities and cultural works that are weird or esoteric or just fall outside the mainstream as "pretentious" and dismissing anyone who likes those things as a "hipster" just belies a total lack of curiosity and open-mindedness.

I can agree to a certain point, because certain works or activities were only meant and fully understood by a select group of people to begin with. It's mostly due to the old "one man's xxx is another man's xxx" line of thinking that people have, and considering that some people are so set in their ways, it's impossible to change their minds on anything, even if it is for the better.

The problem is that when hipsters attract themselves to anything, the reputation becomes tarnished in one way or another, either because something they like is becoming "mainstream" and they can't seem to handle the thought of being "sheep", or it simply creates a culture of exclusivity in which the average Joe can't get into for whatever reason.

On the other hand, the detached, ironic attitude of actual hipsters can be pretty horrible, too, in that it fosters an environment where it's no longer cool to sincerely enjoy anything.

As I said, the culture of exclusivity that most hipsters seem to have a negative reaction with the average person and that is why they stay away from certain things, and have such a deep seated resentment towards them. Exclusivity can be a pretty messy thing to deal with, especially from the hypocritical hipsters who feel like they are shunned by society for standing out, and yet shun others who want to be a part of them.

Really, I'd prefer it if people didn't put stupid pop-cultural labels on themselves and just liked the shit they liked.

I don't mind hipsters per se, {Starbucks cup, tight pants, MLP gear, etc.} it's just the attitude that most have is nothing more than either arrogance or pretending to be more intellectual than they really are because they hate something like Call of Duty or The Who, {or whatever else for that matter} just because it's popular, and happen to like indie bands, games etc. even if they are shit.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Tstelie
Tstelie
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 09:42 PM Reply

i hate the way these fucking idiots dress

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 10:19 PM Reply

At 3/26/13 09:42 PM, Tstelie wrote: i hate the way these fucking idiots dress

.

Anti-Hipsters needs to stop

Tstelie
Tstelie
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 10:21 PM Reply

you prolly dress like an idiot too keep bleating sheep

Nickisabi
Nickisabi
  • Member since: Aug. 17, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 26th, 2013 @ 11:12 PM Reply

At 3/26/13 03:44 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. You just sound like these people who just don't know where to look. If the stuff that plays on the radio sucks, it surely doesn't mean that everything released nowadays is bad. It's quite the contrary, actually.

It's probably because I listen to Hip-Hop and I've noticed the decline in what we dare call Hip-Hop.


If you disagree with my opinion, you're wrong. I'm sorry you have to hear that...

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Anti-Hipsters needs to stop Mar. 27th, 2013 @ 12:51 AM Reply

At 3/26/13 11:12 PM, SpankyG wrote: It's probably because I listen to Hip-Hop and I've noticed the decline in what we dare call Hip-Hop.

I can't really talk about hip-hop and rap, since I do not know a lot about this scene. But aren't there a couple good hip-hop artists around these days ? Like... Death Grips, Jedi Mind Trick, Dälek (Dalek, if NG fucks up the letters), Danny Brown, Captain Murphy.

Obviously, if by today's hip-hop you mean Lil' Wayne, Flo-Rida and Nicki Minaj... than obviously, hip-hop sucks nowadays...