00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

raptoraudio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your past and current views on NG

2,437 Views | 42 Replies

Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 07:34:45

Haven't posted seriously for over year, if not more...Doubt anyone remembers me, even if I have a "staggering" over 10k post count.

I've been a member on these forums for almost 7 years now, can't believe it's been that long (there are loads of people who have been here for 10 years, I know). I guess the forums themselves haven't changed that much, even if I have, and my views concerning this board has as well. I don't know why I stopped visiting this peculiar website, maybe I just grew out of it? I hope that's not the case.

Look at your older posts, I'm talking 3-5 years ago. Realise what your ideals were and what they are now. A forum is an excellent way to time-travel. Not only is it good for nostalgic reasons, but also for "scientific" ones. The main thing you'll probably notice is the way you used to talk. The mannerisms. It's also very interesting if your native tongue isn't english.

Anyways, if you've been reading this weird-ass post of mine to this line, post your current views on newgrounds, also post what you used to think about them.

As for me, I'm not as elitist as I used to be. I used to think, HONESTLY think, not just troll, that people who joined in 2007 were worse than older members. Weird.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 07:41:58

Past: pretty good
Current: pretty good

"you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox

"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those (under)pants are just adorable"-Gagsy

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 07:47:51

At 2/15/13 07:42 AM, shitposter wrote:
At 2/15/13 07:40 AM, The777Demon wrote: I remember you as an annoying elitist jerk. A lot of 06 users used to troll the 07 users.
which is really stupid in retrospect until i remember that 07ers are the worst.

I used to make threads about sign-up dates ALL the time.

At 2/15/13 07:40 AM, The777Demon wrote: I remember you as an annoying elitist jerk. A lot of 06 users used to troll the 07 users.

Haha, that's because they signed up after the redesign.

At 2/15/13 07:38 AM, shitposter wrote: i used to think of newgrounds as a place with a terrible community. i still do

The community is young and yeah, that usually means shitloads of shitposting and repetitive threads.

At 2/15/13 07:37 AM, ClockworkSpace wrote: I remember you, because of your sig

Yep, it's something I'm proud of.

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 07:48:42

It has its moments. I've been here for a while and like most it's just a habit thing and a no friends things. Or maybe that's just me.

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 07:49:11

I signed up here when I was 10 years old. Take that nerds.

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 07:49:38

At 2/15/13 07:47 AM, Lorkas wrote: The community is young and yeah, that usually means shitloads of shitposting

i personally do it because when in rome, do as the romans do

DICKSUCK 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 08:01:44

In the past, I used to think that this website was pretty funny and ridiculous.
Well hey, what do you know, not much as changed. I still think it is

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 08:07:17

At 2/15/13 07:49 AM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote:
At 2/15/13 07:47 AM, Lorkas wrote: The community is young and yeah, that usually means shitloads of shitposting

Good point.

At 2/15/13 07:49 AM, KevinHR wrote: I signed up here when I was 10 years old. Take that nerds.

I signed up when I was 11, you beat me this time Kevin.

At 2/15/13 07:48 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: It has its moments. I've been here for a while and like most it's just a habit thing and a no friends things. Or maybe that's just me.

I can agree on the no friends part.

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 08:14:56

It's a shithole- you've wasted your life.

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 08:42:21

I remember you. And not only because of your sig. Mostly because of your name.
Anyway, this place in the first few years of my account's existence, was a place where i could post music and discuss music. I only visited the Audio Portal.
Slowly i started visiting General more and more.. it kinda grew on me. It's nice to waste time here, for some reason.

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 09:04:25

At 2/15/13 08:42 AM, FairSquare wrote: Anyway, this place in the first few years of my account's existence, was a place where i could post music and discuss music. I only visited the Audio Portal.
Slowly i started visiting General more and more.. it kinda grew on me. It's nice to waste time here, for some reason.

The quick speed of responses is rather unique, yeah. Compared to the vast majority of other non-imageboard forums, General takes the cake for rapid-fire conversation.

Doesn't make the topics of choice any less juvenile though.

Also, the forced humor, trolling, and overall smugness of many users is aggravating; especially when it comes from regulars. If you want to be original or well-respected by the greater community, try doing something productive for Newgrounds instead of circlejerking with minors. That ain't cool.

Mental Music for Thinkers and Doers

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 09:10:48

At 2/15/13 07:34 AM, Lorkas wrote: Doubt anyone remembers me, even if I have a

I remember the name. :/

"staggering" over 10k post count.

I remember when 10k used to be considered staggering. Ah, good times. :)

Look at your older posts

I noticed that when I first signed up I used to attach images even when I didn't need to, use short versions of words like u or tis or or twas or yeh a lot, typo often, and ask questions that I would now just get the answer to through Google. Like asking for Doom sprites, how did I not find Doom sprites when I searched? Were they really that rare ten yeas ago? I don't think I've changed much in character though, still have the same interests, more like... I've evolved into a stronger more resilient version of myself :D

post your current views on newgrounds, also post what you used to think about them.

It's interesting to see how it keeps evolving. Functionwise it's definitely better than it was back when I signed up. I remember not liking the change from pop-up profiles to profiles embedded in the regular layout, or the new level set, changes I do like now. I still don't like the Flash section getting split into Games and Movies though, or the lack of slogan in the title, or the disappearance of the portal stats page, or not being able to browser through all submissions in listed view, and the shift from automatically voting low to voting high. The focus of the site has changed, but there's still a lot of good things going on, a lot of new features, especially this year with the Passport and Playlists and Swivel and stuff. The BBS hasn't changed at all though. :)

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 09:42:24

At 2/15/13 08:14 AM, Ononymous wrote: It's a shithole- you've wasted your life.

Can you think of any better causes to pursue? :P

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 09:46:41

At 2/15/13 09:42 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:

4chan.org, naturally.

It's almost as funny as me.

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 09:48:50

I've always had good views of Newgrounds, originally I cared more for the content involved rather than the users themselves, but over time the balance of that shifted to now caring more about the users than the content.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 10:02:36

At 2/15/13 07:49 AM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote:

And this is why we can't have nice things. ;)

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 10:10:22

At 2/15/13 07:41 AM, JBK wrote: Past: pretty good

This. Newgrounds is pretty good, and it always has been.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 10:14:24

Past: Dunno.
Current: Trollish good, can't afford dat.

"I fapped to this topic."

- Razeroath.

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 10:20:03

This. Newgrounds is pretty good, and it always has been.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 10:21:11

At 2/15/13 10:14 AM, Dawcio510 wrote: Past: Dunno.
Current: Trollish good, can't afford dat.

ugh

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 10:27:24

At 2/15/13 07:49 AM, KevinHR wrote: I signed up here when I was 10 years old. Take that nerds.

I signed up when I was 10 as well.
Since 4 years have passed, I guess you must be 17.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 10:33:30

the newgrounds forums have probably become more boring. old users are leaving and there aren't many new posts and threads being made each day, not to mention the interesting ones.

but users here nowadays seem to be quite willing to follow the BBS rules so they seldom cause any real trouble, which is a good thing.

At 2/15/13 07:34 AM, Lorkas wrote: Haven't posted seriously for over year, if not more...Doubt anyone remembers me, even if I have a "staggering" over 10k post count.

of course. i remember you made a topic about skydiving about a year or two ago, made a post about how proud you were of your country because it was one of the tallest countires in the world, and we had probably said something against the rules in the general forum by calling each other... whatever.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 10:42:31

At 2/15/13 09:46 AM, Ononymous wrote: 4chan.org, naturally.

Ah, the eloquent way to fully savor time's passing.

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 10:59:19

I remember you and I remember all the other users hating on me for being an 07 user too. I still see newgrounds the same way as I did almost 6 years ago. If I look back on those days I can see how much things have changed though. I remember that the community was a bit more trollish back then. We still had photoshop threads and they were still full of MS paint cock jokes. Back then there were a lot of noobs though. We need more noobs. No year group has ever outmatched us 07 users for noobiness.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 11:04:02

At 2/15/13 10:42 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/15/13 09:46 AM, Ononymous wrote: 4chan.org, naturally.
Ah, the eloquent way to fully savor time's passing.

Indeed.

Your past and current views on NG

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 11:07:26

At 2/15/13 09:10 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/15/13 07:34 AM, Lorkas wrote: post your current views on newgrounds, also post what you used to think about them.
It's interesting to see how it keeps evolving. Functionwise it's definitely better than it was back when I signed up. I remember not liking the change from pop-up profiles to profiles embedded in the regular layout, or the new level set, changes I do like now. I still don't like the Flash section getting split into Games and Movies though, or the lack of slogan in the title, or the disappearance of the portal stats page, or not being able to browser through all submissions in listed view, and the shift from automatically voting low to voting high. The focus of the site has changed, but there's still a lot of good things going on, a lot of new features, especially this year with the Passport and Playlists and Swivel and stuff. The BBS hasn't changed at all though. :)

Hah, Cyberdevil, I see you still visit this old website. I just tried checking out the portal, but it isn't even there anymore! It's been split into segments. The lay-out of newgrounds has definitely changed, but it's only part of evolution. It's far better than stagnating and letting the site die completely. NG has always been a dinamic website, while at the same time managing not to "sell out". The strangest part is that this site has been alive for over 10 years, without any shortcomings. It always managed to stay true to itself, true to the people - "Everything by everyone". I guess websites that are based on love and not cash are much for fun to go to and keep coming back.

At 2/15/13 09:48 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: I've always had good views of Newgrounds, originally I cared more for the content involved rather than the users themselves, but over time the balance of that shifted to now caring more about the users than the content.

It's like I'm in an old veteran's bar! First Cyberdevil, now Ragnarokia. I too came here for the content, hell, I was probably 8 years old and just wanted to play some flash games. But like you, I grew attached to the website after posting immense amounts of text.

At 2/15/13 10:33 AM, i-am-ghey wrote: the newgrounds forums have probably become more boring. old users are leaving and there aren't many new posts and threads being made each day, not to mention the interesting ones.

but users here nowadays seem to be quite willing to follow the BBS rules so they seldom cause any real trouble, which is a good thing.

of course. i remember you made a topic about skydiving about a year or two ago, made a post about how proud you were of your country because it was one of the tallest countires in the world, and we had probably said something against the rules in the general forum by calling each other... whatever.

I guess it's kinda sad that many regulars who've been here for way too long are leaving. And yeah, I remember you as well. I can't recall precise threads we used to talk in, but I still remember you.

At 2/15/13 09:46 AM, Ononymous wrote:
At 2/15/13 09:42 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
4chan.org, naturally.

It's almost as funny as me.

4chan is like any other community, except with shitloads of trolling. I've been spending way too much time on 4chan's fitness board /fit/. The board may have helped me become strongerphysically, but nothing more.

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 11:10:13

At 2/15/13 11:04 AM, Ononymous wrote: Indeed.

Ahagaha, genius...

At 2/15/13 10:38 AM, mandog wrote: dead

Bring it back to life! Quick!

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 11:18:22

At 2/15/13 11:07 AM, Lorkas wrote: Hah, Cyberdevil, I see you still visit this old website. I just tried checking out the portal, but it isn't even there anymore! It's been split into segments. The lay-out of newgrounds has definitely changed, but it's only part of evolution. It's far better than stagnating and letting the site die completely. NG has always been a dinamic website, while at the same time managing not to "sell out". The strangest part is that this site has been alive for over 10 years, without any shortcomings. It always managed to stay true to itself, true to the people - "Everything by everyone". I guess websites that are based on love and not cash are much for fun to go to and keep coming back.

I won't ever leave. :) The classic portal is still there, but it's lost it's spot in the main menu, is now an alternative to the layout users seem to like and remains for... power-users... I guess? It's like the Windows 7 interface > Windows 8. Hope they don't just phase it out because that is really the core of this website.

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 11:24:00

At 2/15/13 11:18 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: I won't ever leave. :) The classic portal is still there, but it's lost it's spot in the main menu, is now an alternative to the layout users seem to like and remains for... power-users... I guess? It's like the Windows 7 interface > Windows 8. Hope they don't just phase it out because that is really the core of this website.

Silly me, I should've looked harder.

It really is the core, I'd even go as far as calling it the heart of the website. I like how it doesn't even seem that different.

BBS Signature

Response to Your past and current views on NG 2013-02-15 11:42:27

At 2/15/13 11:24 AM, Lorkas wrote: It really is the core, I'd even go as far as calling it the heart of the website. I like how it doesn't even seem that different.

Indeed, I appreciate how they let the old layout live through the re-design. A few features I've noticed have been removed though:

- Reviews viewable on obituaries.
- A 'view all' option in classic portal style.
- The portal stats featuring uses with most/least submissions, best/least rated, most/least reviewed etc. That was a fun list!

BBS Signature