00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What Happened To Blamming???

2,639 Views | 41 Replies

What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 06:16:29

So I've been away from NG for a few years..... I remember the early days when I thought it was just Pico and FDA.....a few years later(at least 3) I got into actually voting in the portal. I railed against clocks for a while during that era....eventually I realized those aren't going away......Now days(4 or 8 years later) I've come back to NG so I have some games to play while my PS3 is being "fixed"(may never happen)...but to the point...Looking at the obituaries for the past few weeks it seems like everything passes...I like to be forgiving...but when its just the same thing over and over we all click "nothing new or interesting" and that's for pixels that don't function how they should...I admit I haven't seen the movies for a while....and I doubt i'd enjoy the humor of most anymore ....but compiling movies and games only five or six items get blammed every day!!!!MAX!!!! I know we're here to encourage people and some who make crap can make gold...why do we let it all get through? We never see two star things here again...and neither does anyone else...so why is it here?The NG community has gone soft......so have I......When its crap...lets give them some constructive ideas(so they can work on it and come back) and then blam the crap out of it....Like I said I haven't been here in a while......am I missing something? or has the standard for protect/balm changed that significantly?

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 06:21:39

It's because people are auto voting on stuff without watching it.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 06:38:50

At 2/4/13 06:27 AM, Sekhem wrote: stuff

Or just set the pass limit a little higher. I often see things barely making the limit.

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 06:39:12

it is limited to ten points a day....vote on ten and you're done....but I like to vote on twenty per day....it might increase voting power with blam/protection points....but whats the point if everything is protected unless it should be a whistle blow?

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 06:43:50

I meant five per day....sorry

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 06:46:54

At 2/4/13 06:39 AM, Pinballchico wrote: it is limited to ten points a day....vote on ten and you're done....but I like to vote on twenty per day....it might increase voting power with blam/protection points....but whats the point if everything is protected unless it should be a whistle blow?

There's no limit on voting. The thing you're talking about is experience. You're limited to 10 experience a day, and you can only get experience if you vote on 5 movies on the same day.

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 06:58:03

In my current situation I play about twenty flash games a day..(unless I get hooked on one or two of them) but some of them shouldn't count because they are the same ten lines of code blammable.....yet since none will blam anything they still make it...and since I sort of enjoy the fact that ng is a game itself its hard to blam them because none else will.....even though it obvious they won't get any hype...they'll just hide in some corner of newgrounds....... flash limbo.....kill them and give them peace

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 09:07:42

The following happened

1 We lost the ability to flash abusive flash so we lost a source of extra blam points through abuse removal and the new system of portal mods unpublishing flash doesn't award blam points since it isn't blammed.

2 People want points and will go with the flow and protect anything. heck some people vote two when they want to blam because they don't want to lose the point instead of voting 0 or 1.

3 Cookie cutter flash that should have been blammed in the past wasn't blammed and when we lost our whistles for abusive flash those would pass judgement without fail. Heck even abusive flash that normally wouldn't see the light of day would pass unopposed due to people not caring.

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 09:36:16

Long story short: Everyone is a fucking whore

No Fap November: 2014 - 2022

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 09:39:55

I totally agree. I blam at least twice the amount of flashes I vote to save and still my save points are twice as high as my blams. It is incredibly difficult to blam any flash no matter the quality these days.

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 09:40:57

I think it should be something like this :
A member watches the whole film, and then he can rate.

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 09:51:59

I know just what you mean (sort of, your writing is really shitty). I should have way higher blam points, but most of the absolute shit that I blam gets in anyways! Kind of depressing to think that most of the ng voting community only cares about levels and blam/protect points...

| Site | Steam |

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 10:17:44

Kiddies that want to get to the higher levels just spam 5 and get their experience for the day, they could adjust the voting power to the higher level guys so that we have more power than we do now in order to combat the waves of 5 voters.

It's already skewed in our favor, but not enough to combat all the 5 spammers, when me or someone close to or higher to my level votes, it should have a bigger effect.

Another idea I had was to increase the power of your vote if you leave a review of the flash, have it increase your power by 5% or something.

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 10:44:38

Movies that we delete should count towards blam points and take any save points away.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 11:05:08

At 2/4/13 09:40 AM, Emilosish wrote: I think it should be something like this :

What if it's a loop?

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-04 12:34:47

At 2/4/13 09:07 AM, LittleWashu wrote: Stuff

Best explanation so far.

Though there also isn't as much flash as there used to be a few years ago. Back then it was usual with a hundred or so blammed submissions per day, and still plenty of submissions went through. Now there's usually not even a hundred submissions total per day, it's a shame, but apparently the interest in creating stuff has decreased... or maybe it's the interest in spamming the portal with crap to give people free blam points? I kinda liked that tradition...

I also think it has to do with the change in Internet culture in general. With sites like FB and YT and their 'Like!' system, where people are constantly told to like stuff, the spirit of voting has probably changed from numeric to just 5 or 0, yes or no, with yes being the default just to favor the author. Everything is becoming easier, just like reviews nowadays are mostly just words or one-liners whereas they used to be at least a couple of sentences. The overall standard is sinking for pretty much everything.

The whistle system really needs to get back in business too, getting blam points is way harder than it should be, even when there's not the same amount of stuff to blam..

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 10:29:10

At 2/4/13 11:05 AM, All-American-Badass wrote:
What if it's a loop?

Haven't thinked about it.

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 11:18:25

At 2/4/13 12:34 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: The whistle system really needs to get back in business too, getting blam points is way harder than it should be, even when there's not the same amount of stuff to blam..

He's working on implementing the flagging system from the art portal into the flash portal. It is taking a long time because there are more crucial projects that must come first.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 11:19:06

Livin' up to the tagline.

Newgrounds: Everything, by Everyone.

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 11:23:46

At 2/4/13 06:21 AM, LiquidFire wrote: It's because people are auto voting on stuff without watching it.

Yep, I call 'em 'Trolls'

What Happened To Blamming???

"I fapped to this topic."

- Razeroath.

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 12:09:14

At 2/5/13 11:19 AM, Lintire wrote: Newgrounds: Everything, by Everyone.

It's all the taglines fault.. >:(

At 2/5/13 11:18 AM, Sectus wrote: He's working on implementing the flagging system from the art portal into the flash portal. It is taking a long time because there are more crucial projects that must come first.

Good to hear. Who's he, btw?

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 12:12:39

the blam button got blammed for lack of use

Everything in this post is wrong.

I'm sorry, Jumbe, but you're fucking ugly -Amaranthus

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 12:14:32

people became idiots and just 5 shit I have a system that works anything under 1MB is 0d and the rest is 5 unless its crap. but people are idiots and its not like it matters since I have high stats.

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 12:23:23

At 2/5/13 11:23 AM, Dawcio510 wrote:
At 2/4/13 06:21 AM, LiquidFire wrote: It's because people are auto voting on stuff without watching it.
Yep, I call 'em 'Trolls'

Hehe nice joke

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 18:19:33

At 2/5/13 12:09 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Good to hear. Who's he, btw?

Tom and the other site admins.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 18:39:22

It's kind of hard to detect when a flash movie is absolute finished playing, and then unlocking the voting system. It should be more like, spend 1-2 minutes with the page ACTIVE (so you can't just open them in background tabs) and then the voting becomes available. That way you at least watch/play it, and it encourages people to make something that isn't just some 20 second garbage, because then people won't view it long enough for the voting to unlock on the page.
I dunno, just an idea.

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 18:52:13

Maybe for animations, we could have another API element that you can place on the last frame or something like that, that would send a signal to unlock the voting bar, it works for when the flash is loading and unlocks once it is done, keep that element but instead of unlocking once the flash is loaded, unlock once the signal is sent from the flash and bam, anti auto feature implemented, for animations anyway.

Games however would be harder to implement, especially for those with short attention spans or for games that are repetitive that would lose players easy but I guess that still ties in with people with short attention spans. Maybe, instead of placing the API element on your frame or something to that effect, you could have a inspector option where you could set a timer on your flash and have it unlock after that certain amount of time.

Just my thoughts.

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 19:03:21

On my old account, I voted 5 on everything in order to advance in rank. On this account, I pick out (and watch, mind you) flashes that I think shouldn't pass, such as test animations and "first flash lol plz rate fair" and the like, and blam them for the GOOD OF THE PORTAL!

But yeah, people voting 5 for stats is essentially the problem as has probably been stated already in this thread.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-05 19:08:27

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME

DOINT YOU FUCKING IGNORE ME!

BBS Signature

Response to What Happened To Blamming??? 2013-02-06 03:18:37

At 2/5/13 07:03 PM, Tremulos wrote: But yeah, people voting 5 for stats is essentially the problem as has probably been stated already in this thread.
At 2/5/13 06:39 PM, PyroGreg wrote:

It used to be that way, for a while, I think. Maybe it was just a specific time before the vote buttons were enabled, though, but nobody liked that system so they got rid of it. Thankfully. Voting on submissions took sooo loooong...

Spend 1-2 minutes with the page ACTIVE (so you can't just open them in background tabs) and then the voting becomes available. That way you at least watch/play it, and it encourages people to make something that isn't just some 20 second garbage, because then people won't view it long enough for the voting to unlock on the page.

That would open to problems. If nobody bothered to watch the movie, and then didn't bother to vote, it would just stay UJ forever and not get blammed at all. Many good animations aren't even a minute. Additionally, if nobody makes crap movies, it wouldn't even be possible to get blam points.

At 2/5/13 06:19 PM, Sectus wrote: Tom and the other site admins.

Ah.

BBS Signature