00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy

19,984 Views | 46 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-14 20:58:50

9/23 is my birth day :D close to madness day

TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:D:D:D:DDD DDDD

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 02:39:36

Kinda low prizers according to the last madness day. But just like last time, prizes in the end got bigger than expected, so I hope this time might be another change in it. The bigger the prize, the bigger the motivation.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 02:44:41

You know what's even better than scouting in the Audio Portal? Actually being able to delete submissions again. Things are beginning to look up!

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm pumped about the new system.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--

Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 02:56:58

At 9/14/12 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: As of this week, the Audio Portal has adopted the Art Portal scouting system. ...and it will HOPEFULLY WORK BETTER.

Sorry, Tom, but I've got to call foul. Why the Art scouting system instead of the Portal Blam system? The Art Scouting system allows good artists to be scouted...and leaves the bad or unimpressive artist UNTIL someone scouts them. The Blam system has a direct effect of actively removing the crap. Nothing crappy gets thru the portal. It's bulletproof. Nearly, anyway.

Yes, there are people who vote things thru BECAUSE they're crap, but at least the good people have a chance to combat that. With the Art system, the bad just sits until someone scouts it. Actually, EVERYTHING sits until it gets scouted; the good stuff gets scouted quickly and the bad sits and may get scouted, but it never goes away. Unfortunately, keeping the quality up and the crap off Newgrounds has become a challenge. The scout system doesn't really help that at all. The Audio and Art Portals could REALLY benefit from having a blam mechanism.

The Art flagging system is a fail compared to the Whistle, as some things should
be flagged but haven't.

The whistle, blam, and protection animations really helped get people interested in blamming the crap and keeping the good, because they were fun. Any chance we can get those back?

Rather than expanding the less effective measures, the original Blam and Whistle systems of the Flash Portal really are the best options.

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 05:01:55

At 9/15/12 02:56 AM, Exedor wrote: Rather than expanding the less effective measures, the original Blam and Whistle systems of the Flash Portal really are the best options.

Dude, what's with the links? Anyway, artists can get pruned if their art isn't up to scratch (and everyone they've scouted gets pruned too), and despite what unimpressive artists are in the portal, the unscouted section is oh so much worse. Plus it's a big step up from the previous system.

I honestly prefer the art scouting system, as an artist, and I'm not sure that the art and audio portals get the kind of attention that would be needed to sustain a not-easily abused judgement portal.

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 08:13:43

At 9/15/12 02:56 AM, Exedor wrote: irrelevant arguments and pointless links

A blam/save system would not work in the audio portal because only a fraction of the submissions in the audio portal get enough votes to pass any meaningful threshold like the 250 vote threshold in the Flash portal, and because the score of an audio submission, unfortunately, has ABSOLUTELY ZERO relation to its quality. None.

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 09:50:33

There's just not enough traffic through the art portal to even allow blam/saves to work
As for the whistle comment, art can be flagged.

Speaking of the whistle, is the whistle coming back anytime soon Tom?

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 15:29:40

So Tom, when's that annoying red link on my userpage going to be deleted?

or I'll at least be able to move it to the bottom

EGB || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 18:13:22

Sekhem wrote: u got a stick up ur butt

How does that help? And no, you can't have it back til I'm done.

Lintire wrote: Dude, what's with the links?

Some are fun, some are examples. Don't open them in the same window and keep hitting the back button; open them in a new window or tab and enjoy or whatever.

Lintire wrote: ...I'm not sure that the art and audio portals get the kind of attention that would be needed to sustain a... judgement portal.
Buoy wrote: A blam/save system would not work in the audio portal because only a fraction of the submissions in the audio portal get enough votes to pass any meaningful threshold like the 250 vote threshold in the Flash portal...
big-jonny-13 wrote: There's just not enough traffic through the art portal to even allow blam/saves to work...

I know. The Flash Portal is popular enough to support 200 votes, but why not have it be 50(?) votes for music, or whatever the traffic will allow? My point was that there should be some way to say 'no' to submissions. The scouting system allows people to only say 'yes' by scouting or 'not yet' by not scouting, and leaves the scout open to someone else. While everyone has different tastes in art and music, we should all be able to tell who tries and who doesn't and be able to voice our opinion accordingly. Honesty dictates that you have the ability to vote the good as good and the bad as bad. If your only options are "yes"(scouted) or "silence"(not scouted by me), then the bad never gets rated its proper rating (blam). That's all I'm saying. We need the ability to say both yes and no to be fair.

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 18:28:40

Oh by the way, if anyone cares, here's the deer animation from the Craftyy Kickstarter video:
Craftyy - "Plant an Idea"

And here's the Craftyy Kickstarter Campaign, again, if anyone cares.

Games, Toons, and Other Escapes From Reality.

NutcaseNightmare [dot] com

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-15 18:30:16

Games, Toons, and Other Escapes From Reality.

NutcaseNightmare [dot] com

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-16 00:08:43

At 9/15/12 06:30 PM, Nutcasenightmare wrote: Woops, let's try this again.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/602974
There we go.

Excellent. It makes me eager, I just hope it gets the support it needs on kick starter.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-16 07:24:44

At 9/15/12 02:56 AM, Exedor wrote: The Art flagging system is a fail compared to the Whistle, as some things should
be flagged but haven't.

Dear Art Portal Users,

Please Stop flagging Adult Rated stuff as "Inappropriate".

Thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-16 22:00:20

At 9/14/12 09:53 AM, TomFulp wrote: I started 2012 with that ambitious schedule of alternating game and animation jams...

You mean 2011, right? :P

But yeah, I would love an Animation Jam!

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-17 05:06:52

Sounds fun

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-17 05:27:25

Oh man I've got the perfect movie to submit for halloween.

It's so fucking horrible

Response to Audio Updates, Contests, Craftyy 2012-09-17 12:17:56

At 9/16/12 10:00 PM, sandwich-eater wrote:
At 9/14/12 09:53 AM, TomFulp wrote: I started 2012 with that ambitious schedule of alternating game and animation jams...
You mean 2011, right? :P

Holy shit you're right, that WAS the beginning of 2012. I can't believe two years have fluttered by since I was like, "WE'RE DOING THIS EVERY MONTH."

Don't let me fail like that again. I want to keep it going this time.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature