KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-22 11:19:57 Reply

At 1/22/13 01:06 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
Have you people actually considered the fact that those low rating scores might be from actual, honest votes?

What's with all these protective attitudes of older users? None of those who has posted on here has bad music, I can't say for mine, but have you take a look at everyone else before coming up with that assumption?

Anyone who has common sense shall know honest scores of your cannot work. Please stop your bullcrap defensive posts.

CheckeredZebra
CheckeredZebra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-22 13:23:25 Reply

About to fail at quoting, so forgive me!

At 1/22/13 02:29 AM, shieldurhope wrote:
At 1/22/13 01:06 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
Have you people actually considered the fact that those low rating scores might be from actual, honest votes?
It can't be. I Took a listen to Jcool's stuff and it's defenitely worth more than two stars.
[b]Another suggestion is display the song's score (out of 5 stars) next to it's name on the audio page as well as the artist's page.[/b] Just another idea on making it easier to find good stuff. (This may become null if we get the old layout back.)

The issue I see with this is that it conflicts with a common complaint: the scores aren't accurate. =X
One can imagine the minute (possibly negative) reactions to having scores become more important.

SonicJ
SonicJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-01-24 22:31:14 Reply

The voting system isn't flawed. It can be improved, but we have to look at how it's used. A lot of users listen to a song and view it three ways. 5 Star "Amazing and in love with this track. It's going on my music player of choice", 3 Star "Eh, it was good. Can use improvements", and 1 star "I didn't like it". Then you have the people who vote to change the system to their favor, such as voting other peoples songs down to boost their own up. I'm only repeating what's been said before, even in this thread.

The rating and reviewing function work great together. When a reviewer uses them in a pair, then and only then can you without a doubt say a song "deserved" the score it received. The reviewing and rating process will always have a hint of subjectiveness and opinion! That said, text reviews are more solid in function and reasoning than a rating on it's own. You can receive feedback in the form of constructive criticism or more general feed back. Reviewing lets the audio publisher know what was going on when that user gave it a 1 ~ 5.

The review & ratings have the potential to be useful, it's just not used that way sadly.

Audio portal reviews : A detailed discussion and study
Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature
CheckeredZebra
CheckeredZebra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-02-01 22:14:12 Reply

Wait, did I miss something? Why are our audio tags so severely limited right now?

Regardless of the reason, I find it extremely annoying I can't even use "Music Box" as a tag (darn spaces) and that there's a 4 word limit. At least make it...I don't know, 6 words.

Right now I got stuck with:

"Music Box Classical Lullaby"

AxTekk
AxTekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-02-01 22:20:20 Reply

People need to be less shy and hit up others for collabs more often. I've made a lot of friends through collabs on this website, but a lot of the time I just feel surprised when, IDK 50 people download a track, probably at least half of them are musicians, and noone wants to shoot the shit one audio geek to another.

But yeah, people just need to be less shy I think.

gridcrawler
gridcrawler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 03:22:57 Reply

This thread is going nowhere, same to others. We all like to talk, but could anything we said be done for once?

Vultyrex
Vultyrex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 03:50:23 Reply

- Old record medal system (gold, silver, etc)
- Get rid of the 1-5 score method. Only use "Like it" or "Hate it". Both require a review.
- Rid the unification of Score Power between the Audio and Flash Video per user. Audio power is separate from Flash Video scoring power. For example, to boost Audio Power, you'll have to do your daily 5 votes to add 10 points to your xp towards the next level. You can choose which power you want displayed via a control panel option. Like: Audiophile or Flash Watcher... or something similar.
- Able to delete a song regardless of votes/popularity.

That's all I can think of right now. Take it what it is.

Just lurking...

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 04:18:43 Reply

there was another site i used to visit where we had a review system where you had the option to leave a link to a track of yours at the end for a return review. when the site was at it's peak (and at the time busier than the current active AP) you'd get close to a 1:1 return on reviews, and it wasn't even compulsory! seriously, fuck compulsory reviewing!

so maybe something like that would be nice.
or, make reviews a 50 character minimum and then make another "best of" list for top reviewers (i.e. people who wrote the most reviews)
seriously though, fuck compulsory reviewing.

...or compulsory anything else really haha

p.s. i am gay

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 04:21:08 Reply

At 6/17/13 03:22 AM, gridcrawler wrote: This thread is going nowhere, same to others. We all like to talk, but could anything we said be done for once?

actually both @WadeFulp and @TomFulp check up on this thread once in a while.

lel

gridcrawler
gridcrawler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 04:35:43 Reply

At 6/17/13 04:21 AM, Sequenced wrote:
At 6/17/13 03:22 AM, gridcrawler wrote: This thread is going nowhere, same to others. We all like to talk, but could anything we said be done for once?
actually both @WadeFulp and @TomFulp check up on this thread once in a while.

The last time I heard someone discussed about NG voting problem was 2009, and probably way before I knew this site.

Anything changed? Answer me.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 04:55:52 Reply

At 6/17/13 04:35 AM, gridcrawler wrote:

I've noticed a significant lack of votes in the audioportal over the past couple of years. it's more about the reviews nowadays.

lel

gridcrawler
gridcrawler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 09:53:23 Reply

At 6/17/13 04:55 AM, Sequenced wrote:
At 6/17/13 04:35 AM, gridcrawler wrote:
I've noticed a significant lack of votes in the audioportal over the past couple of years. it's more about the reviews nowadays.

I would like to believe so, but sugar coating statement won't help the fact that so many people are still complaining about old age voting problem.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 11:48:58 Reply

At 6/17/13 04:18 AM, midimachine wrote: there was another site i used to visit where we had a review system where you had the option to leave a link to a track of yours at the end for a return review. when the site was at it's peak (and at the time busier than the current active AP) you'd get close to a 1:1 return on reviews, and it wasn't even compulsory! seriously, fuck compulsory reviewing!

That is really really really tempting to try out! Could get more artists to participate in reviewing, in general.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 12:38:33 Reply

At 6/17/13 11:48 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/17/13 04:18 AM, midimachine wrote: there was another site i used to visit where we had a review system where you had the option to leave a link to a track of yours at the end for a return review. when the site was at it's peak (and at the time busier than the current active AP) you'd get close to a 1:1 return on reviews, and it wasn't even compulsory! seriously, fuck compulsory reviewing!
That is really really really tempting to try out! Could get more artists to participate in reviewing, in general.

definitely! they used to let you write a short description as the hyperlink text too, i thought that was worth noting
oh, and this is a thing that would be good for the other portals too i think. except maybe not flash. i dunno!

p.s. i am gay

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 12:45:48 Reply

At 6/17/13 12:38 PM, midimachine wrote: definitely! they used to let you write a short description as the hyperlink text too, i thought that was worth noting
oh, and this is a thing that would be good for the other portals too i think. except maybe not flash. i dunno!

Maybe we could only allow you to plug things published under you account, so it wouldn't be a total mess of link sharing, but could keep artist to artist interaction going.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 12:56:23 Reply

At 6/17/13 04:18 AM, midimachine wrote: there was another site i used to visit where we had a review system where you had the option to leave a link to a track of yours at the end for a return review.
or, make reviews a 50 character minimum and then make another "best of" list for top reviewers (i.e. people who wrote the most reviews)

I think this 50 character minimum (or some other number) would be great - especially if the option to link your own track at the end is implemented.

Even though it be would awesome, random listeners/ non artists shouldn't be forced to write a minimum of anything, as long as their reviews stick within the guidelines. They may just not have that much to say - not everybody can be a great reviewer, right?

But maybe, for ARTISTS who are leaving a review and would like to link their own track, THEY should have some sort of character limit. I mean, people with at least some audio experience should have more than a couple of words to say about a track - especially if they're going to link their own track for review at the end.

Otherwise with no minimum, wouldn't it be easier (but stupid) to just leave a really nonconstructive review in order to leave a link/gain exposure ?
I don't know if this kind of thing can be implemented, but I think it makes sense.

TL;DR - Make a character minimum for reviews where people would like to link back their own work. (and would this apply to linking only audio, btw? What if different types of artists want to cross-promote ? )

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-17 15:36:30 Reply

At 6/17/13 09:53 AM, gridcrawler wrote:

I would like to believe so, but sugar coating statement won't help the fact that so many people are still complaining about old age voting problem.

those people haven't got the idea that voting doesn't matter in the audio portal anymore. to get to the best of from what I've seen, it's about the views and reviews.

lel

DjSkyFall
DjSkyFall
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-20 22:58:10 Reply

IDK if this has already been suggested... im assuming it has but here goes:
Stream like service so that you can listen to the new tracks, popular tracks, or best month and classics... all with their respective radio like station, also do it for genres... id really love that
( able to rate song while they play in the stream and leave comments and see a play marker somewhere)

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-21 00:17:55 Reply

At 6/17/13 12:56 PM, alternativesolution wrote: Even though it be would awesome, random listeners/ non artists shouldn't be forced to write a minimum of anything, as long as their reviews stick within the guidelines. They may just not have that much to say - not everybody can be a great reviewer, right?

yeah i agree on principle, but on the other hand:

this right here is a fifty character sentence haha

so most random jackoffs are going to write about that much off the top of their head anyway.

p.s. i am gay

XToxicReaper
XToxicReaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-22 15:29:29 Reply

I think a proper medal system could increase the quality of music throughout the portal. This could also allow for a song of the month award as well....

Check out my stuff in order to win a free hug

Click here for my cool music and stuff

BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-22 15:35:42 Reply

At 6/21/13 12:17 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 6/17/13 12:56 PM, alternativesolution wrote: Even though it be would awesome, random listeners/ non artists shouldn't be forced to write a minimum of anything, as long as their reviews stick within the guidelines. They may just not have that much to say - not everybody can be a great reviewer, right?
yeah i agree on principle, but on the other hand:

this right here is a fifty character sentence haha

so most random jackoffs are going to write about that much off the top of their head anyway.

Yeah the fifty character thing is useless, I just meant some sort of minimum. But it looks like we've got that new "Review for Review" thread, which isn't working too bad at all.

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-23 12:18:06 Reply

At 6/22/13 03:29 PM, XToxicReaper wrote: I think a proper medal system could increase the quality of music throughout the portal. This could also allow for a song of the month award as well....

I second this.

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
idfpower
idfpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-25 07:24:07 Reply

Well I've just recently joined NEWGROUNDS so I don't know a lot about how the old system and so on, but I can tell you this about the current one:

- music genres are messed up and incomplete: for example for metal songs there's only the "heavy metal" tag available - which says nothing: is it a thrash, death, metalcore, etc song? Same goes for Electronic. As a result song labelling is inaccurate.

- tags restriction makes no sense: especially considering how vague the music genres roster is.

- last, but probably the most important aspect: the scouting process(coupled with the lack of more in depth control & statistics) is very confusing and poorly explained. There should be some clear simple steps to complete that would guarantee a positive result (as in publishing your work). Sitting on your ass waiting for someone to notice your stuff is not the way to go because on one hand the ranking/display system is messed up so not all songs are listed, and on the other hand it's down to ppl preferences/liking - which is highly subjective.

Just my 2 cents.

Bafana
Bafana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-25 23:23:56 Reply

I still think the big problem isn't voting, its traffic.

People come to NG for flash games & movies. The old system let us Audiowhores ride that wave, now we are isolated and have to feed off of each other.

Just looked at the stats for the Top 3 VIEWED of each portal for the last week:

Games - top 3 combined 70,000 views sharing in 28 pages of reviews.
Movies - top 3 combined 93,000 views sharing in 67 pages of reviews.
Art - top 3 combined 25,500 views sharing in 13 pages in reviews.

Audio - top 3 combined 1,970 views sharing in 6 pages of reviews.

NG just isn't considered a place for audio these days. Not sure if there is a fix for that.

BBS Signature
idfpower
idfpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-26 08:20:31 Reply

At 6/25/13 11:23 PM, Bafana wrote: NG just isn't considered a place for audio these days. Not sure if there is a fix for that.

Sadly, I have to agree. I've joined NG because a good friend insisted on it, precisely for promoting music to a specific type of listener (more open minded to non conventional music than a generic music portal's crowd), and although I do love the idea of having everything contained within 1 platform (instead of hunting the Web high and low) and liking the games / movies sections, I can't help noticing a drastic lack of interest for audio. Except for devs/creators looking for colaborators (soundtracks, themes, etc), the whole system looks still - and it's a shame 'cause there's a lot of good music that you won't find anywhere else.

Maybe the plethora of digital music plugins give ppl the impression anyone can mash up some sounds together and make a "song" within minutes - as opposed to game / movie creation which require more skills (that of course is far from the truth - music creation is a very complex process)...who knows...

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-27 04:12:13 Reply

At 6/25/13 07:24 AM, idfpower wrote: for example for metal songs there's only the "heavy metal" tag available - which says nothing: is it a thrash, death, metalcore, etc song? Same goes for Electronic. As a result song labelling is inaccurate.

try tagging your audio uploads. seriously, the admins can't stuff every single genre known to man.
also, consider the "metal" category (or any other category, really) as an umbrella term

- last, but probably the most important aspect: the scouting process(coupled with the lack of more in depth control & statistics) is very confusing and poorly explained. There should be some clear simple steps to complete that would guarantee a positive result (as in publishing your work). Sitting on your ass waiting for someone to notice your stuff is not the way to go because on one hand the ranking/display system is messed up so not all songs are listed, and on the other hand it's down to ppl preferences/liking - which is highly subjective.

post your audio in the audio advertisements thread, the review request club, the R4R thread, whatever. if you want to be noticed, you gotta do something about it. someone would be bond to find something interesting in your work (from all your legitimate promoting), and will scout you.

NikeTheSword
NikeTheSword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-27 14:27:19 Reply

What would be the downside of forcing a review when voting 0-1?

<insert personal drama about zero-bombing here>

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

idfpower
idfpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-27 15:37:25 Reply

At 6/27/13 04:12 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: try tagging your audio uploads. seriously, the admins can't stuff every single genre known to man.
also, consider the "metal" category (or any other category, really) as an umbrella term

post your audio in the audio advertisements thread, the review request club, the R4R thread, whatever. if you want to be noticed, you gotta do something about it. someone would be bond to find something interesting in your work (from all your legitimate promoting), and will scout you.

Then how come other music dedicated platforms have very specific & large category lists? It looks like the person in charge of that knew a bit about electro, but nothin' much about metal (for ex) - you know, it doesn't look professional. Of course I've tagged my songs accordingly, but still, makes me wonder...

As for the main issue...IMO it has deeper roots. The real problem is that nowadays ppl are getting access to things (thanks to the Internet) too easy and that kills any desire to scout around and dig up the hidden gems - everything is just 1 mouse click away. It's a general phenomenon and ppl simply don't care anymore. Sad, but true.

Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-28 03:37:26 Reply

At 6/27/13 02:27 PM, NikeTheSword wrote: What would be the downside of forcing a review when voting 0-1?
<insert personal drama about zero-bombing here>

Actually it's more of a benefits:
- You know who 0-bombed your music.
- They wouldn't spend time to write review. Therefore, no 0 bombing.

But the Cons are:
- Vengeance wars between users since they know who 0-bombed them.
- Non-user can still 0-bomb you without review (unless you add non-user can't 0-vote)

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
Sundans
Sundans
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2013-06-28 10:29:19 Reply

At 6/27/13 04:12 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 6/25/13 07:24 AM, idfpower wrote: for example for metal songs there's only the "heavy metal" tag available - which says nothing: is it a thrash, death, metalcore, etc song? Same goes for Electronic. As a result song labelling is inaccurate.
try tagging your audio uploads. seriously, the admins can't stuff every single genre known to man.

Other music hosting platforms have very large, specific categories for music genres. In addition, why should we have to sacrifice one of the four limited tagging spots for a genre that should have been included? This is a thread for developing ideas for improving the Audio Portal, not telling other members that we should simply suck it up and deal with the current system.

Oh, the audio advertisements thread? Because a massive amount of people obviously don't post their tracks there and leave, simply expecting a sudden influx of viewers without interacting with other producers. There is no encouragement for audio producers to scout, search, and interact others. Entice them with some form of reward.

One more thing. Just to address your previous spout of ignorance, 0-bombing is indeed a major problem. Even if a portion of the low ratings are genuine, and not some ploy to get your own art to the top, we would think there would be some sort of constructive criticism. Seriously, it seems you have a total disregard for how difficult it is for the majority of producers to get noticed.

[✖] Play a live show. | [✖] Sell music.
[✔] Sound design for games. | [✔] Produce an OST for film. | [✔] Get creepy fans. | [✔] Get awesome fans.
Moving up the ladder.