00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DecoQliao just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ways to improve the Audio Portal?

108,896 Views | 625 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Add something to change the settings of multiple audio projects at once.
Why not add 1 single "I like boutton" instead of 5, it would end the 0 bombing.
( I know this would be a huge change but a good one.)

At 8/13/15 03:06 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Oh yeah - I don't know if this will get fixed before we replace the Flash players with HTML5, but I will log a ticket anyway.

cheers!

speaking of titles, they still can't be edited and it'd be nice if we could do that :)

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-08-16 10:41:47

At 8/16/15 04:26 AM, lasse wrote: more the audio forum than portal

get the mods to stop lbreaking the rules/etting their interrnet pals break the rules

Neither of your examples are breaking the rules.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-08-16 12:00:26

At 8/16/15 04:26 AM, lasse wrote: get the mods to stop lbreaking the rules/etting their interrnet pals break the rules

examples from page one

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1396589

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1384372

While the rules may appear dated in some areas, advertising your album and having your own advertisement thread (when done properly) are not against the rules.

Album Advertising Thread Guidelines
Self-Advertisement Thread Guidelines

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-08-17 08:07:49

At 8/16/15 04:26 AM, lasse wrote: more the audio forum than portal

get the mods to stop lbreaking the rules/etting their interrnet pals break the rules

examples from page one

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1396589

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1384372

yea that rule got changed like 6 months ago, the forum was a fuckin mess of promo threads for about a fortnight after haha. you've always been allowed to post threads for album releases if you're a regular tho so get rekt

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-08-27 08:21:47

Make it so that for every upload you have to review 3 other songs or something.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-08-28 23:15:31

I second that I really like the idea of giving the download count more sway. One might disingenuously cast a vote, or vote strategically, but it's hard for me to visualize someone taking material into their machine for any reason save to have that material on their machine. If someone is willing to clutter up their target folder with multiple clones to boost a score, then screw it. Let 'em have it, if it means that much to them. Besides, If an artificially rated audio clip were to rise up the list, It'd be pretty clear what was at play, if it wasn't a pretty good clip.
I'd also like to be able to sort the portal based on downloads.

Notion for encouraging commentary - Keep the feedback section exactly how it is, with it's nice wide range of Vote-enabled half-stars to illustrate one's drift. and, for more convenience-minded individuals, replace the array of voting buttons with a nice, simple 'like' button.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-08-31 18:27:48

At 8/27/15 08:21 AM, D00FY wrote: Make it so that for every upload you have to review 3 other songs or something.

Simply a terrible idea. 'Nuff sed.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-01 03:21:30

At 8/31/15 06:27 PM, lucas59 wrote:
At 8/27/15 08:21 AM, D00FY wrote: Make it so that for every upload you have to review 3 other songs or something.

How about elaborating?

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-01 07:51:47

At 9/1/15 03:21 AM, D00FY wrote:
At 8/31/15 06:27 PM, lucas59 wrote:
How about elaborating?

this isn't such a bad idea in the same way that forcing voters to review is, but both ideas have a common problem. people are greedy af, so if they have to leave reviews before they can upload then you end up with people leaving heaps of spammy reviews just so they can tick the boxes and keep posting their music.

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-01 08:57:55

How about elaborating?
this isn't such a bad idea in the same way that forcing voters to review is, but both ideas have a common problem. people are greedy af, so if they have to leave reviews before they can upload then you end up with people leaving heaps of spammy reviews just so they can tick the boxes and keep posting their music.

True dat actually!

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-07 20:22:30

My thought is that you guys give more recognition to new artists. I used to let downloads occur and now people cant download my songs anymore..... Newer artists are still artists nonetheless

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-07 22:34:22

I second guilmonx in the way that daily submissions should be limited to 2

hi!

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-15 18:29:39

I've found what I view as a problem with the favorites system; when a collaboration is uploaded, it only shows up in your "Latest from friends and favorites" feed if you have the member who uploaded it in your favorites.
For example, Detious uploaded his newest collaboration with Lockyn two days ago, but I didn't notice it until now because Detious isn't in my favorites. (Adding him though.) Lockyn is in my favorites, which is why this is a bit irritating.
It would be nice if this could be fixed/implemented.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-20 03:55:58

Not sure if this has ever been suggested before but I think a good idea on fixing the rating system would be if some one votes a 0 or 5 they should be forced to leave a review telling why they voted as such. This might help help with zero bombers and self voters.

I can not tell you to get their how many times my songs have been zero bombed by douchebags trying to get their song up a couple spots.

When I die. It will be in a blaze of glory.

Metal Hellion/My band (Bestial Remains) Myspace/Sonic Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-20 07:52:09

User ability to hide the averaged score of their track.

People should not need to know the score of a track to judge it. And this gives those who do not want to be represented by the number the option to hide it.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-20 22:29:52

At 9/20/15 07:52 AM, PeterSatera wrote: User ability to hide the averaged score of their track.

People should not need to know the score of a track to judge it. And this gives those who do not want to be represented by the number the option to hide it.

1+

At 9/20/15 10:29 PM, zenue wrote:
At 9/20/15 07:52 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Great idea
1+

2+
This would be helpful so people wouldn't be like "Oh, everyone's voting 5, I'll continue the trend / ZERO BOMB IT FOR TEH LULZ".
It would also be an interesting option to be able to hide scores for all tracks across the portal if you don't want to be influenced by everyone else.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-09-26 15:58:49

An option to turn off the recommendations pod would be nice. Most of them are songs I have heard or songs in genres that I'm not interested in listening to, so it's really just taking up space on the page.

Basically I just deleted all my recommendations in the hope that the pod would go away and found myself looking at a bunch more.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-02 16:33:01

MORE GENRES!!!!!!!!

I would like to see a chillstep genre, an instrumental genre (not that specific. Orchestral), Piano (like PIANO ONLY), Techtrance (why not?), and some other genres that I can't think of right now

Also a potato
Somewhere
Anywhere

NEOMUSIKA!!!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-02 16:34:43

At 9/21/15 06:41 PM, Gragon73 wrote:
1+
2+

3+

NEOMUSIKA!!!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-02 16:37:12

At 10/2/15 04:34 PM, howardt12345 wrote:
At 9/21/15 06:41 PM, Gragon73 wrote:
1+
2+
3+

4+

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-10 12:49:31

can we please reinstate the two submissions per day limit? or make the new audio list longer? or both? :)

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-10 22:31:25

Can we get a thing like how soundclound has where if you link to your song on facebook, people can listen to it on facebook without having to come to newgrounds?

(btw never tried to see if it works or not so maybe it is already like that)

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-11 08:43:21

At 10/10/15 10:31 PM, Rennh wrote: Can we get a thing like how soundclound has where if you link to your song on facebook, people can listen to it on facebook without having to come to newgrounds?

(btw never tried to see if it works or not so maybe it is already like that)

there's no facebook widget for NG audio links. looks like you'll need to upload to soundcloud if you want people to be able to stream from facebook! :(

p.s. i am gay

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-18 13:50:40

At 10/10/15 12:49 PM, midimachine wrote: can we please reinstate the two submissions per day limit? or make the new audio list longer? or both? :)

+1

hi!

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-18 16:17:31

Bring back the loading bar while uploading a new track!

Ways to improve the Audio Portal?

It is very irritating that people think rating zero or low for no good reason is not gonna affect the artist.
Either they think it's funny ruin to others, or they're just jealous that we can make stuff.
I fully support the ability to hide score...
However, I also support that the only kind of score we can't hide are those from legitimate reviewers. Those that have reviewed a lot and fairly and/or those that have excellent experience and knowledge in making music.
The stars we receive that we cannot hide from true music reviewers/artists.
Think of it as Newground's Michelin Stars.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-20 14:07:19

At 10/18/15 11:06 PM, Syzion wrote: It is very irritating that people think rating zero or low for no good reason is not gonna affect the artist.

It shouldn't be if you understand how much influence scores currently have in a musician's success on this site. Hint: it's close to zero. The "most popular" and "best of the month" or whatever categories are more or less broken. Front page content is handpicked by moderators and staff members. You can raise the criticism of how certain aspects of the audio portal are in need of serious repair, but the zerobombing issue has been mostly resolved through the one vote per submission rule now.

Either they think it's funny ruin to others, or they're just jealous that we can make stuff.

They tend to think it's funnier when you make a big deal about it. You're not exactly raising an issue that hasn't been addressed time and time again.

I fully support the ability to hide score...

This has been proposed many times before and hasn't gone anywhere. All users should own up to their scores, regardless of whether or not they think they deserve it.

However, I also support that the only kind of score we can't hide are those from legitimate reviewers. Those that have reviewed a lot and fairly and/or those that have excellent experience and knowledge in making music.

For one, "legitimate reviewers" is a relative term, as is "a lot," "fairly," and "excellent experience and knowledge." Secondly, you can't just arbitrarily decide which reviews you can have on your track. If there is a review that breaks the rules, there is a little exclamation mark at the bottom right corner for you to report it. If it doesn't break the rules, but is just a generally useless review, then you have a useless review on your track. Again, not that big of a deal.

The stars we receive that we cannot hide from true music reviewers/artists.

As someone who enjoys a wide palette of music, some of which the majority of listeners would probably not enjoy, I've found the term "true musical artists" to be total bunk.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2015-10-20 17:23:48

Beign able to see the list of people voting on your submissions, or force people who vote low to leave a comment.

Does this fsubmission deserves 1/5??? http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/audio/898718
At least explain yourself why you vomit on music composers like this, if it's not to make your result better compared to the other ones.