00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gaffi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dream about the Distant Future

809 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Dream about the Distant Future 2012-04-24 21:41:20

I actually remember the year I dreamt it to be last night, 3165, or something like that, I know it was 31something. Anyway, my hometown was for some reason (I can't remember) was frozen in time and was methodically forced in large groups to participate in computerized exams in our town in a white room with tile floors, and afterward we were let out into the town which was guarded by armed soldiers in a white plastic armor looking suit that looked vaguely familiar. No one attempted escape that I remember, but most of the dream (that I recall) was my internal thought on survival, and how I might appeal to the leaders of this future to ensure it. We weren't told who would survive, just that the most intelligent were to stay alive, the rest shot. The men of the future were unseen to us, but their tests were impeccably hard, and I remember no one passing 30 questions in an hour. I don't know how I came upon the information in the dream, but I remember learning that the people of the future were vastly more intelligent that those of our time. An example of their testers finished the exam with a high score completing all 100 questions in under 20minutes, claiming this was their average. My idea was that this intelligence had lost touch in music and I could bring it back, I don't remember the rest of the dream.

Response to Dream about the Distant Future 2012-04-24 21:42:56

Oh, I forgot the point of the thread, I wanted to ask if this resembled any existing story, and what people thought of it, and any suggestions to what it may mean, or how to finish it.

Response to Dream about the Distant Future 2012-04-26 12:27:37

At 4/24/12 09:42 PM, NinjaGuy wrote: Oh, I forgot the point of the thread, I wanted to ask if this resembled any existing story, and what people thought of it, and any suggestions to what it may mean, or how to finish it.

The thing about dreams is that only you can make sense of it. The two important parts of turning a dream into a story is mood and vision. Mood is how things feel. In this case, dystopian. Which, at the moment, isn't entirely original, but still has plenty of room for growth. Vision is not necessarily what you see in the dream, but the big picture. The meta-image from the dream. The items that stand out the most to form a more concrete image, versus the staccato, often disorienting barrage of experiences dreams tend to be.

As far as meaning, it may simply be related to something you've seen recently. Sounds partially inspired by The Hunger Games and Star Wars, just to give some current examples. Could be your brain exploring while you sleep. Our most creative side comes out when we're sleeping. I had a dream I was a superhero when I dreamt, a dream within a dream. Could it mean I dream to be a superhero? Probably not. To me I took it as too much DC Universe Online :P

How to finish it? That's entirely up to you. If you don't know what else to do with it, chances are it's not worth pursuing, or the seed just hasn't sprouted yet. If you want to flesh this out, sit down and use the snowflake method. List out all the significant points, and expand on them. Continue out from there until you have a solid foundation to write a story. Form an idea. Find your character. Organize events. MICE: Milieu, Idea, Character, Event.

Good luck.