00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LostMachineMusic just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2

32,359 Views | 234 Replies

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-09-14 16:55:11

Hello all, back with another update. I recently tested a lightweight implementation of an "Everything" search feature, capable of pulling up results from every search type on Newgrounds. It's fairly quick and loads only html, which is then properly rendered by the browser, so it should accomplish the goal of searching through all 5 search options with minimal use of bandwidth.

Now then, the following preview is 4MB because it is an 18000+ px tall screen shot of the multisearch. I apologize in advance if you've got a slow connection and can't easily download this.

4MB Preview

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-09-14 17:03:43

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, or even if it is in progress, but a script that allows you to search for a keyword, and if it is anywhere on the BBS, have it turn up would be interesting.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-09-14 17:08:23

At 9/14/12 04:55 PM, Xaotik wrote: 4MB Preview

Looks great, It'll be really useful.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-09-14 17:47:34

At 9/14/12 05:03 PM, Sectus wrote: I don't know if this has been mentioned before, or even if it is in progress, but a script that allows you to search for a keyword, and if it is anywhere on the BBS, have it turn up would be interesting.

This can't be done because of the way things are indexed. Newgrounds' servers only match titles, and it's nearly impossible to grab Google results without using their API. Use of the Google API would require me to be someone who actually runs NG, I'm not, so there's nothing I can do to increase the precision of the search.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-09-20 16:00:13

Any mod signed up to beta test, check your inbox, theres a surprise in there :D

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-10-22 15:30:46

Hey guys,

Another update because its been forever... I'm working on a huge list of features to drop into the NG+ beta sometime before the end of November. Been a bit busy with schoolwork as of late but I plan to keep up with updating NG+.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-10-22 15:50:17

At 10/22/12 03:30 PM, Xaotik wrote: Hey guys,

Another update because its been forever... I'm working on a huge list of features

TELL ME.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-10-22 17:42:05

At 10/22/12 03:50 PM, Slint wrote:
TELL ME.

College man... :(

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-10-22 17:53:04

At 10/22/12 05:42 PM, Xaotik wrote:
At 10/22/12 03:50 PM, Slint wrote:
TELL ME.
College man... :(

I meant the features, but I'm close to know your pain brah.

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-10-24 20:57:50

Sneak peek at one of the most powerful new features. I added a Dev console for on-the-fly changes to variables in NG+, that way beta testers with compatibility issues can address them without having to dig through pieces of Javascript and "hack" the script into working.

Pic:

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-10-24 20:59:24

Well... I messed up... forgot the pic...

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-10-25 19:48:32

At 10/24/12 08:57 PM, Xaotik wrote: Sneak peek at one of the most powerful new features. I added a Dev console for on-the-fly changes to variables in NG+, that way beta testers with compatibility issues can address them without having to dig through pieces of Javascript and "hack" the script into working.

Pic:

You are amazing, did you know that?

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-10-26 15:44:46

At 10/25/12 07:48 PM, LiquidFire wrote: You are amazing, did you know that?

:D
I try my best.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-11-11 16:59:39

Just testing something for quotes.

At two weeks ago, Xaotik wrote:
D
I try my best.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-11-22 16:31:08

Hey all, sorry to say it, but it's looking like the new features I had planned for launch in November will actually have to be pushed back to sometime during my winter break in December. Will post more updates as I complete features.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-11-25 13:35:25

Is there possibly going to be a feature that let's you ignore the actual threads posted by certain people?

EGB || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-11-26 15:22:44

At 11/25/12 01:35 PM, Spretznaz wrote: Is there possibly going to be a feature that let's you ignore the actual threads posted by certain people?

I've been considering doing so. It's not like it would be difficult to script, yet I'm unsure about how many people actually want that option. I may add it to the newest beta and see what the feedback is like.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-11-27 21:56:09

At some time 1 day ago, Xaotik wrote: Just testing more stuff for inline poster updates.

Hey guys, back again testing some features for NG+

Working on allowing multiple quotes in a post without having to copy/paste.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-11-28 02:25:26

Well, I definitely stayed up way too late working on this, but I want to announce that I now have an almost 100% working replica of the NG system. Now pressing the quote button when already posting will drop the quote right into the textbox. :)

Later today I'll try sorting out some minor bugs, like random colons appearing on empty lines of text.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-11-28 10:03:09

At 11/28/12, around 3:00 AM, Xaotik wrote: Well, I definitely stayed up way too late working on this, but I want to announce that I now have an almost 100% working replica of the NG system. Now pressing the quote button when already posting will drop the quote right into the textbox. :)

Later today I'll try sorting out some minor bugs, like random colons appearing on empty lines of text.

Well, I'd like to think this feature is just about done. The quote block above was generated using NG+. It even supports nested quotes, however, it seems to get a bit screwy when nested quotes utilize the ":" character (for smiles, for example). I plan on looking into that further.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-11-29 01:41:58

Hey all, I have some really exciting news. After thinking about implementing this for a long time, I've decided to add a Dashboard to NG+.

This pic dump is a really rough draft of what I'm hoping to add, but I would absolutely love any and all suggestions for pods to add to this.

I have no idea how I'm going to organize it right now, but I definitely want a working skeleton for it in the December closed beta.

I know I've asked for community feedback in the past, but right now is when I think it's most important. This baby is going to be the face of the giant that is NG+, so any ideas you have, no matter how out there they are, I will try my absolute best to implement given the restrictions of Javascript and the Terms of Use for NG.

Also, here is a quick rundown of how I picture the pods I listed in there. First off, let me start by saying that all pods will update content in 10 minute intervals, just because there is the potential for a lot of data to be downloaded and I don't want to put strain on NG if a lot of users pick up NG+ and utilize the Dashboard. Furthermore, no updating will occur when the window is not focused, meaning, different tab/application, no updates until you click back onto NG.

Thread Watch - Monitor a specific thread for new activity. I'm thinking of a system that only keeps subscriptions for 48 hours and resets every time you visit the thread, that way if someone accidentally leaves an old thread in their dashboard and collapses it for a while, its not always loading the old thread.

Hot Topics - Just pull the "Hot Topic" section of the BBS index into the Dashboard. It will give you titles, links, views and replies for the threads.

Newest Threads (needs to be renamed) - Pull up the 5 most recently replied to threads for a particular forum, ignoring the NG News since that's in the box on the left hand side of the Front page.

User Watch - A bit like a more advanced Follow URL. Not sure how I'm going to organize this one, but some things it could include would be like most recent review/BBS post.

Inbox Pod - Display newest messages in your inbox. Configurable to show unread only, and hide the subject line from prying eyes.

News & Events - Basically a more detailed version of the already existing News & Events, this will import a list of a few most recent news items, and a few more lines than the existing calendar on the front page. Not too sure if I want to keep this pod yet, because it seems like too much of a duplicate.

Grafitti - Just brings the "Leave a Message" textblock to the Dashboard with options to follow/message/check out the person who left NG a message.

Like I said guys, I am open to any new suggestions other than these, please, if there's something you really want to see, LET ME KNOW! :)

That's all for now.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-11-29 08:09:50

So far I got no suggestions but I do can say it's looking really good, nice job.

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-12-10 21:25:15

This new Social feature looks incredible. Now I get to do to my favorite thing, throw on some 90s gangsta rap and write some new features.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-12-10 22:07:09

At 12/10/12 09:25 PM, Xaotik wrote: This new Social feature looks incredible. Now I get to do to my favorite thing, throw on some 90s gangsta rap and write some new features.

You puss. Throw on some GOOD OLD ROCK'N'ROLL!!!! I could probably (if I had the motivation to actually learn languages) do that if I just had some ACDC, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Queen playing in the background.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-12-10 22:17:30

At 12/10/12 10:07 PM, Trapex wrote:
At 12/10/12 09:25 PM, Xaotik wrote: This new Social feature looks incredible. Now I get to do to my favorite thing, throw on some 90s gangsta rap and write some new features.
You puss. Throw on some GOOD OLD ROCK'N'ROLL!!!! I could probably (if I had the motivation to actually learn languages) do that if I just had some ACDC, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Queen playing in the background.

I don't have anything against Classic Rock, in fact I listen to it a lot, but nothing really seems to get me focused on my code like old hip-hop/rap.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-12-11 18:13:32

It seems the NG staff was working on the same feature I was. Here's an autocomplete for sending PMs, it actually integrates quite well with the stock NG feature.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-12-11 18:37:39

GOOD OLD ROCK'N'ROLL!!!! ACDC, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Queen

Jesus christ, kill yourself, you walking cliche.

BBS Signature

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-12-11 19:28:32

At 12/11/12 07:06 PM, EJR wrote:
At 12/11/12 06:13 PM, Xaotik wrote: It seems the NG staff was working on the same feature I was. Here's an autocomplete for sending PMs, it actually integrates quite well with the stock NG feature.
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1326535/6#bbspost2437242 1_post_text

Dang. Way ahead of ya.

I know right? I just can't keep up with the staff. Oh well, mine has pictures :)

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-12-11 19:39:01

At 12/11/12 06:37 PM, Slint wrote:
GOOD OLD ROCK'N'ROLL!!!! ACDC, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Queen
Jesus christ, kill yourself, you walking cliche.

Sorry if I come across as stereotypical. I just appreciate good music and the bands I listed did make good music. I listen to other rock bands besides those four and I listen to other forms of music too (except for country; will not do that).

Besides, it was a bit sarcastic on my part. I was just kidding around, to be honest even if I still do like the bands I listed.

Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-12-11 20:01:04

At 12/11/12 07:39 PM, Trapex wrote: Sorry if I come across as stereotypical. I just appreciate good music and the bands I listed did make good music.

An apology to Slint? D'awww..