Be a Supporter!

Very Unacceptable Espn Headline!

  • 2,227 Views
  • 86 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:22:43 Reply

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT ESPN WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYY

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Artist
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:23:59 Reply

Oversight?


This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:24:41 Reply

At A few seconds ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Oversight?

THEY. USED. THE. FREAKING. WORD. CHINK!

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:25:03 Reply

I think it was unintentional. "Chink in the armor" is an actual phrase.


BBS Signature
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:26:47 Reply

At A few seconds ago, Chdonga wrote: I think it was unintentional. "Chink in the armor" is an actual phrase.

I'm very sure it was a pun/play on words. It's one of very many phrases you could use for a situation like that, and plus, wouldn't they be aware of the fact they used a word that shares a definition of a derogatory term of the race of the person they're having an article written about?

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Artist
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:27:33 Reply

At A few seconds ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote:
At A few seconds ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Oversight?
THEY. USED. THE. FREAKING. WORD. CHINK!

Because "a chink in the armor is an expression." It means a flaw in something.

You're kind of slow, aren't you?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:27:52 Reply

where is that laugh...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYHwHUcY0E&feature=player_de tailpage#t=264s


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:29:32 Reply

At A few seconds ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Because "a chink in the armor is an expression." It means a flaw in something.

You're kind of slow, aren't you?

I know it's a phrase, but be honest, whether or not it was intentional, it was very clumsy on their behalf and should be aware of the fact even if chink means other things, it's still a derogatory term and Jeremy Lin is an Asian person, so it would look like that term would apply to his race.

saqwert
saqwert
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:31:35 Reply

There's a gook on the court

BlackmarketKraig
BlackmarketKraig
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Artist
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:34:08 Reply

At A few seconds ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote:
I know it's a phrase, but be honest, whether or not it was intentional, it was very clumsy on their behalf and should be aware of the fact even if chink means other things, it's still a derogatory term and Jeremy Lin is an Asian person, so it would look like that term would apply to his race.

Yes, but there's no reason to think it's anything other than a careless oversight. A national sports media conglomerate is not going to intentionally alienate the Asian population and all of those customers and potential customers to make a crude and racist pun. I'm sure that an editor or two are in hot, hot shit over this as it is.


This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:34:13 Reply

I hear eddy talking...
Bt all I hear is:
"ching chong china! ching chong norcal! ching chong bad local rappers!"
I also loled at the headline.

intolerance ftw!

BBS Signature
PoopyMcButt
PoopyMcButt
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Animator
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:35:29 Reply

"Chink in the armor" is kinda like "Chink in the chain" meaning a flaw in something.
Not chink as in Asian. We only got 8 seconds of the report, so we didn't hear what lead up to that. Kinda looks like its a stunt to cause controversy.


BBS Signature
xSarCastiCx
xSarCastiCx
  • Member since: Mar. 3, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:37:12 Reply

Yeah that's pretty racist in this instance. Like if my car stalled and somebody said "cracker with jam" I'd be so upset.


BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:39:19 Reply

We won't be able to laugh at ourselves fully before long.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:54:13 Reply

At A few seconds ago, FreeksnGeeks wrote: the only reason it's derogatory term still is because of people like you. You could have just ignored it and said fuck it, but no you get butthurt and tell us it's still a mean word.

Actually I really don't care about it at all, I don't get offended by it. But a lot of Asians all around the world are definitely not happy about ESPN's poor choice of context (not words, but context) and are going to eventually show up at the ESPN HQ's doorstep with torches and pitchforks, all having knowledge of kung fu, armed with chopsticks, and carrying backpacks equipped with sushi, trays of chow mein and won tons.

InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:56:55 Reply

At 15 minutes ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote: I know it's a phrase, but be honest, whether or not it was intentional, it was very clumsy on their behalf and should be aware of the fact even if chink means other things, it's still a derogatory term and Jeremy Lin is an Asian person, so it would look like that term would apply to his race.

You know, the people who draw unnecessary attention to what is almost certainly either a coincidence or an oversight (or both) do more to exacerbate racial tensions than the actual headline. This is something on which I probably wouldn't have even picked up if I hadn't been looking for it. If someone had openly and explicitly called Jeremy Lin a chink, that would be one thing, but getting upset over a headline that may or may not be a pun on his race just fuels the fires of racial paranoia and backlash prejudice.


[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:00:28 Reply

Asian Americans whine the most about race. Don't be insecure.


BBS Signature
MushookieMan
MushookieMan
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:07:46 Reply

chink

Noun:
A narrow opening or crack, typically one that admits light.
A high-pitched ringing sound.
Verb:
Make or cause to make a light and high-pitched ringing sound, as of glasses or coins striking together.
Synonyms:
noun. crevice - crack - fissure - cranny - rift - cleft - split
verb. jingle - tinkle - clink - clang - clank - ring

I guess people are supposed to avoid using the word 'nigqardly' (fucking BBS made me censor it) because it sounds like ni**er, even though it has nothing to do with it.


BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:09:37 Reply

At 9 minutes ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote: Actually I really don't care about it at all, I don't get offended by it. But a lot of Asians all around the world are definitely not happy about ESPN's poor choice of context (not words, but context) and are going to eventually show up at the ESPN HQ's doorstep with torches and pitchforks, all having knowledge of kung fu, armed with chopsticks, and carrying backpacks equipped with sushi, trays of chow mein and won tons.

You do realize by saying you aren't offended and racially stereotyping Asians, you have just discredited your point, yourself, and this thread.


BBS Signature
benmitchell0036
benmitchell0036
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:10:38 Reply

I FUCKING LOVE IT. It's a great play on words, a real gem of a pun. Who fucking cares if it's politically incorrect, get the stick out of your ass and learn to appreciate fine wordplay.

WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:10:59 Reply

Offensive? Yes. Intentional? Maybe. Hilarious? Oh yes.

Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:15:37 Reply

At 3 minutes ago, WeHaveFreshCookies wrote: Offensive? Yes. Intentional? Maybe. Hilarious? Oh yes.

Absolutely shocking and apalling.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Member since: May. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:16:38 Reply

Meh some people may have found it offensive, either way ESPN voluntarily erred on the side of safety and apologised. No one needs to get worked up, no one needs to get fired.

It's basically one of these

Very Unacceptable Espn Headline!

Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:18:55 Reply

Rather than bemoaning over society frowning upon using a very select few number of words that may cause offense, how about you show off the language you're trying to defend and use other words. This isn't some kind of slippery slope, where people will continue claiming more and more words upset them. You just need to accept that there are some words deemed inappropriate to use in certain contexts, and there will likely be repercussions for the offender. The English language possesses amongst the most number of words of any language used today--take advantage of that. Use a damned thesaurus if need be.


BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:20:54 Reply

Eddy actually made a elevant observation and people are trying to refute it just because it was him that made said observation

He really is the ultimate troll

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:22:21 Reply

Oh come on, it was an honest mistake, they didn't realize what they had headlined.
ESPN wasn't making fun of Asians, they were saying a phrase and didn't realize an Asian was on that snapshot.
Jesus, lighten up man, learn to laugh at these things. You're going to end up old and miserable one day, rambling about California and the Asian community.


I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:24:07 Reply

the only real reason that they are apologizing is that they are a public service item, and soccer moms


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:33:26 Reply

DAMN GOOKS MAKING MAH BASKETBALL TEAM L0S3 D:<

DERP THATS SUCH AN UNACCEPTABLE TERM IM GOING TO END MY EXISTENCE IN THE CRACKER BLENDER

NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:51:56 Reply

This is what happens when ESPN does something that isn't orgasming over the Yankees, Red Sox, and basketball.


BBS Signature
Piggler
Piggler
  • Member since: May. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Artist
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:58:05 Reply

At 1 hour ago, saqwert wrote: There's a gook on the court

I prefer this headline.


BBS Signature