00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GrawlixMan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Very Unacceptable Espn Headline!

4,243 Views | 70 Replies

Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:22:43

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT ESPN WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYY

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:23:59

Oversight?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:24:41

At A few seconds ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Oversight?

THEY. USED. THE. FREAKING. WORD. CHINK!

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:25:03

I think it was unintentional. "Chink in the armor" is an actual phrase.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:26:47

At A few seconds ago, Chdonga wrote: I think it was unintentional. "Chink in the armor" is an actual phrase.

I'm very sure it was a pun/play on words. It's one of very many phrases you could use for a situation like that, and plus, wouldn't they be aware of the fact they used a word that shares a definition of a derogatory term of the race of the person they're having an article written about?

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:27:33

At A few seconds ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote:
At A few seconds ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Oversight?
THEY. USED. THE. FREAKING. WORD. CHINK!

Because "a chink in the armor is an expression." It means a flaw in something.

You're kind of slow, aren't you?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:27:52

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:29:32

At A few seconds ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Because "a chink in the armor is an expression." It means a flaw in something.

You're kind of slow, aren't you?

I know it's a phrase, but be honest, whether or not it was intentional, it was very clumsy on their behalf and should be aware of the fact even if chink means other things, it's still a derogatory term and Jeremy Lin is an Asian person, so it would look like that term would apply to his race.

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:34:08

At A few seconds ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote:
I know it's a phrase, but be honest, whether or not it was intentional, it was very clumsy on their behalf and should be aware of the fact even if chink means other things, it's still a derogatory term and Jeremy Lin is an Asian person, so it would look like that term would apply to his race.

Yes, but there's no reason to think it's anything other than a careless oversight. A national sports media conglomerate is not going to intentionally alienate the Asian population and all of those customers and potential customers to make a crude and racist pun. I'm sure that an editor or two are in hot, hot shit over this as it is.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:35:29

"Chink in the armor" is kinda like "Chink in the chain" meaning a flaw in something.
Not chink as in Asian. We only got 8 seconds of the report, so we didn't hear what lead up to that. Kinda looks like its a stunt to cause controversy.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:37:12

Yeah that's pretty racist in this instance. Like if my car stalled and somebody said "cracker with jam" I'd be so upset.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:39:19

We won't be able to laugh at ourselves fully before long.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:54:13

At A few seconds ago, FreeksnGeeks wrote: the only reason it's derogatory term still is because of people like you. You could have just ignored it and said fuck it, but no you get butthurt and tell us it's still a mean word.

Actually I really don't care about it at all, I don't get offended by it. But a lot of Asians all around the world are definitely not happy about ESPN's poor choice of context (not words, but context) and are going to eventually show up at the ESPN HQ's doorstep with torches and pitchforks, all having knowledge of kung fu, armed with chopsticks, and carrying backpacks equipped with sushi, trays of chow mein and won tons.

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 00:56:55

At 15 minutes ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote: I know it's a phrase, but be honest, whether or not it was intentional, it was very clumsy on their behalf and should be aware of the fact even if chink means other things, it's still a derogatory term and Jeremy Lin is an Asian person, so it would look like that term would apply to his race.

You know, the people who draw unnecessary attention to what is almost certainly either a coincidence or an oversight (or both) do more to exacerbate racial tensions than the actual headline. This is something on which I probably wouldn't have even picked up if I hadn't been looking for it. If someone had openly and explicitly called Jeremy Lin a chink, that would be one thing, but getting upset over a headline that may or may not be a pun on his race just fuels the fires of racial paranoia and backlash prejudice.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:00:28

Asian Americans whine the most about race. Don't be insecure.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:07:46

chink

Noun:
A narrow opening or crack, typically one that admits light.
A high-pitched ringing sound.
Verb:
Make or cause to make a light and high-pitched ringing sound, as of glasses or coins striking together.
Synonyms:
noun. crevice - crack - fissure - cranny - rift - cleft - split
verb. jingle - tinkle - clink - clang - clank - ring

I guess people are supposed to avoid using the word 'nigqardly' (fucking BBS made me censor it) because it sounds like ni**er, even though it has nothing to do with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:10:38

I FUCKING LOVE IT. It's a great play on words, a real gem of a pun. Who fucking cares if it's politically incorrect, get the stick out of your ass and learn to appreciate fine wordplay.

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:15:37

At 3 minutes ago, WeHaveFreshCookies wrote: Offensive? Yes. Intentional? Maybe. Hilarious? Oh yes.

Absolutely shocking and apalling.

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:18:55

Rather than bemoaning over society frowning upon using a very select few number of words that may cause offense, how about you show off the language you're trying to defend and use other words. This isn't some kind of slippery slope, where people will continue claiming more and more words upset them. You just need to accept that there are some words deemed inappropriate to use in certain contexts, and there will likely be repercussions for the offender. The English language possesses amongst the most number of words of any language used today--take advantage of that. Use a damned thesaurus if need be.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:20:54

Eddy actually made a elevant observation and people are trying to refute it just because it was him that made said observation

He really is the ultimate troll

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:22:21

Oh come on, it was an honest mistake, they didn't realize what they had headlined.
ESPN wasn't making fun of Asians, they were saying a phrase and didn't realize an Asian was on that snapshot.
Jesus, lighten up man, learn to laugh at these things. You're going to end up old and miserable one day, rambling about California and the Asian community.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:24:07

the only real reason that they are apologizing is that they are a public service item, and soccer moms

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 01:51:56

This is what happens when ESPN does something that isn't orgasming over the Yankees, Red Sox, and basketball.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 02:06:07

That's hilarious and no way it was an accident.

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 02:10:35

Just because americans made "chink" into a racist word, doesn't mean it's an official thing. Besides, "chink in the armour" is a phrase onto itself.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 02:15:28

At 45 seconds ago, jjjkuk wrote: Just because americans made "chink" into a racist word, doesn't mean it's an official thing. Besides, "chink in the armour" is a phrase onto itself.

The word "chink" comes from English colonized India.

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 02:17:48

Wow. It seems a lot of people who say they hate racism give it power by over reacting. It's a fucking word used in a fucking term that was made up waaaaaaay fucking before the fucking slang term use of the fucking word chink. FUCK!

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 02:22:49

lol

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 02:43:34

Ah I've never heard of "a chink in the armor" as a phrase. But now I know that's hucking filarious.

­Pastrami.

BBS Signature

Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 03:00:30

At 43 minutes ago, Ihatedapatriots wrote:
At 45 seconds ago, jjjkuk wrote: Just because americans made "chink" into a racist word, doesn't mean it's an official thing. Besides, "chink in the armour" is a phrase onto itself.
The word "chink" comes from English colonized India.

Whatever. It's still stupid slang that shouldn't be taken seriously.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature