Be a Supporter!

Very Unacceptable Espn Headline!

  • 2,228 Views
  • 86 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
OwnageGiy223
OwnageGiy223
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 16:43:17 Reply

At 8 minutes ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote:
At 8 minutes ago, Th-e wrote: Homonym. Heck, even the video mentions Chink in that manner.
EVERYBODY KNOWS IT'S A PHRASE. IT'S A PLAY ON WORDS. You understand it's a play on words???? Oh my God!!

Brah, calm the fuck down. It's just a word. It's not going to rape your parents and steal your coffee maker. The only reason certain words are offensive is because people make them offensive. The word "faggot" used to be a term for someone who gathers fire wood. It was never used as a derogatory word, until somebody decided to make it that way. Basically, is you, and all other Asians, would stop BAWWWing over the words "chink" and "gook", then guess what? People would stop using the word.

TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Member since: Apr. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 16:47:37 Reply

All I'm seeing here in this thread.

" I'M ASIAN BAWWWW THEY USED THE WORD CHINK "


" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
saqwert
saqwert
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 16:50:16 Reply

Some slant outmaneuvers the Congo

LocoJoe
LocoJoe
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 16:52:43 Reply

Funny how Eddy overreacts. I bet he'll grow up to be the Jesse Jackson of asians.


Sig by BabiesAteMyDingo

BBS Signature
Me-Patch
Me-Patch
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 16:55:33 Reply

28 points, 14 assists for the asian sensaision against the Mavs last night. Top two players were asian(Lin) and white(Nowitzki).

Blacks are slipping.


BBS Signature
Th-e
Th-e
  • Member since: Nov. 2, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-19 17:10:05 Reply

I looked at The-WalrusZ (Zipperfish) and did not see any new Flash submissions since 2008. Does he still come here?

I am asking this because of the You Are A Fucking Moron series. I feel the time for the next YAAFM is right.


Feel no mercy for me. It will only cause you to suffer as well.

Coop
Coop
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Writer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 04:10:59 Reply

At 1 day ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT ESPN WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYY

Are ESPN going to try and Yank this one out of the fire? I really don't see it as that offensive, since Yank is a derogatory term, just like Chink. It's not like it said "slitty eyed Knicks star drops the ball" as the tag line, underneath, is it?


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 04:15:17 Reply

At 1 minute ago, Coop wrote:
Are ESPN going to try and Yank this one out of the fire? I really don't see it as that offensive, since Yank is a derogatory term, just like Chink. It's not like it said "slitty eyed Knicks star drops the ball" as the tag line, underneath, is it?

I swear if someone calls me a limey one more time I'm going to do them for racial hate!


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
VsynthGt
VsynthGt
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 04:31:16 Reply

its a lot better then saying something like, That ball would still be in his possession if he where not so niqqardly...


BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Member since: May. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 05:48:45 Reply

At 1 hour ago, Gagsy wrote:
I swear if someone calls me a limey one more time I'm going to do them for racial hate!

Can't really compare limey with racial terms like chink, gook and the n one.
English people as far as I understand, don't face constant discrimination over there, we aren't beaten up or killed due to being English. Limey although being annoying has nothing like the rich history of prejudice that chink has.

Dean
Dean
  • Member since: Feb. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 06:13:49 Reply

At 1 hour ago, Gagsy wrote: I swear if someone calls me a limey one more time I'm going to do them for racial hate!

And this is one reason for not liking the world as it currently is. Why is it unacceptable for your average white guy to joke about another race or be proud of their own, yet it seems perfectly fine for other races to mock white folk and have pride in their race.

People these days are just overly sensitive. You can't make a joke without someone taking offence. Apparently you can't use old sayings any more either without offending someone. It's ridiculous. There will come a time when you're not allowed so speak to anyone because no matter what you say, they'll be offended.

Political correctness is fucking sad.


BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Nick2292
Nick2292
  • Member since: May. 6, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 06:33:19 Reply

At 1 day ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT ESPN WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYY

I can see how some people would get offended by that. I'm still surprised by some people's stupidity some times..

SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Member since: May. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 06:47:11 Reply

At 20 minutes ago, Dean wrote:
And this is one reason for not liking the world as it currently is. Why is it unacceptable for your average white guy to joke about another race or be proud of their own, yet it seems perfectly fine for other races to mock white folk and have pride in their race.

People these days are just overly sensitive. You can't make a joke without someone taking offence. Apparently you can't use old sayings any more either without offending someone. It's ridiculous. There will come a time when you're not allowed so speak to anyone because no matter what you say, they'll be offended.

Political correctness is fucking sad.

Yeah but words like cracker and limey simply don't carry the same weight as words like n*****. We haven't had centuries of institutionalised discrimination against whites, whites are still on top at basically every point.

PC has done great things for my country, it's a shame it's become a dirty word. There are very few real cases of "PC gone mad" as far as I can see. If you look into them they seem to be blown out of proportion by the very right wing to stir up racial tension or isolated cases sensationalised by the tabloids to shift units.
Wintervale replacing Christmas? Never happened, it was never even suggested. Tabloid lies. I've been told they're making it illegal to say blackboard for the past 15 years, again that's tabloid rubbish. As well as changing baa baa blacksheep.

111122223138
111122223138
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 08:42:12 Reply

I don't see the big problem. Like some people have already said, "A chink in the armor" is an actual phrase.
When someone gets asshurt over it and makes a big deal out of it, then it becomes a problem.

Just like the situation with Derpy Hooves <3 <3

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.

BBS Signature
Hoeloe
Hoeloe
  • Member since: Apr. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 09:19:01 Reply

At 2 hours ago, SnoopyChicken wrote: PC has done great things for my country, it's a shame it's become a dirty word. There are very few real cases of "PC gone mad" as far as I can see.

This depends on your definition of "PC gone mad". In my opinion, this instance is PC gone mad. The fact that someone writes a headline which, lets face it, was likely an oversight, and then there's massive uproar, the headline is changed and the company sends out a formal apology is a bit ridiculous. I can understand the point of political correctness, but really it needs to be there as a form of guide, not strict rules.

Another example of PC gone mad, which, by the way, happens a fair deal over here, is something that happened to my brother a while ago. He tried to buy a gingerbread man from a shop. They wouldn't sell it to him because he referred to it as a gingerbread man and not a gingerbread person.

If PC continues the way it's going, it serves to undermine the entire premise of free speech. Of course, I'm not arguing for racism, far from it. Racism is absolutely disgusting, but honestly, I don't think it helps much to constantly tell people that certain words are taboo (I'm not talking about words like n***** here, but words like black), causing people to jump into outrage the moment anyone so much as thinks them. People just need to chill out a bit.


Song of the Firefly is on Steam Greenlight and Kickstarter. Give them a look and support the project!
------------------------------

BBS Signature
CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Writer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 09:21:09 Reply

For crying out loud, it's a word. Big whoop, get your pants back on and keep on truckin'.

Conal
Conal
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 10:06:43 Reply

Lmao, "Chink in the armour" that was a bad pun for ESPN to use but a creatively placed one.


​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Member since: Jan. 21, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 10:18:27 Reply

At 17 hours ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote: EVERYBODY KNOWS IT'S A PHRASE. IT'S A PLAY ON WORDS. You understand it's a play on words???? Oh my God!!

Right, we get that. What we're saying is that it was most likely an unintentional play on words, because nobody is dumb enough to think that intentionally making a racially offensive pun in a headline is a good idea.

The phrase "Chink in the armour" is used fairly regularly in sports coverage. Apparently they applied it to this case before realizing exactly what the fuck they were doing.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 14:28:57 Reply

At 1 day ago, EddyFromEEnE wrote: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT ESPN WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYY

I read about that few days ago, what ESPN did was unfunny and stupid.

It became funny when you made a thread about it because of your post.


Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
NerdLiife
NerdLiife
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 14:57:29 Reply

I would've kept it like that because I'm a douche like that.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 15:01:23 Reply

Who cares if he says chink? Who cares if he says the n-word? If someone said "cracker" on TV not a single fuck would be given by me? Why do you care if someone you don't even know uses a racial slur about you?


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Drake
Drake
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 15:09:52 Reply

People need to get the sand out of their vaginas. I think the title was fine, as long as they clarified they meant no offensive context.


ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
Alphabetetical
Alphabetetical
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 15:57:17 Reply

It's a real phrase, and in any other situation it would have been okay, but unfortunately it was just used in the wrong place at the wrong time. People need to stop getting so butt-hurt over stupid shit like this.


Lolthread
Thanks a bunch to CagedSilhouette for the shiny new sig.

BBS Signature
morcov
morcov
  • Member since: Nov. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Artist
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 16:01:08 Reply

couldn't help but laugh

sorry chinks
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to Very Unacceptable Espn Headline! 2012-02-20 17:23:49 Reply

OH FUCK NO! A RACIST COMMENT! Wait you apologized for it? HOW DARE YOU DO SUCH A THING!